December Challenge : Peace

Julie Edwards

All

Thank you very much for your votes... I remember that morning very clearly, that shot was about 5 minutes from my front door and it was so cold.

Well given not only the time of year, we have also lost a great great leader and i can only think of one theme for this month

PEACE.

As before i do not want to offer any examples as have been offered in the past, it is down to your interpretation.

I look forward to your shots. :)

J xxx

Three from me

CPEP9E.jpg

Madurai Palace, India. When I think of India, peace is not the first word that comes to mind. India is a huge splendid chaos, of people, bikes, cars, people and animals all going somewhere and doing something. Occasionally you can find a peaceful place, and this was one of them. It was still pretty busy but nothing compared to outside. I was taking pictures when I noticed that my wife was not with me. I turned round and saw that she was lost in thought sat in a sunbeam coming in through a window. There was a gap in the people, enough for me to get a couple of shots in. Then I was surrounded again and the moment was gone. This is one of my favourite pictures from that trip. I can hear the howls of mirth from the anti HDR brigade, sorry guys. I don't usually put my arty farty stuff on alamy, but I have with this one even though I know its not good stock and won't sell.  

AHM5MD.jpg

Filey Beach in Yorks. This guy knows all about peace, there's no-one near him at all. 

A1TH1J.jpg

It seems a bit counter-intuitive to put WW1 graves in response to peace, but when I go to these graves I find them very peaceful. They seem more restful than ordinary graveyards, as if in reply to the enormous violence that took place there 100 years ago. I had an important experience a few years ago. We went to the silver mines in Potosi in Bolivia and at the end of the visit they set off a stick of dynamite. The dynamite exploded about 100 yards from us and it was loud and the thump in the chest was very strong. One stick of dynamite - I tried to imagine (and couldn't) what it must be to have not a stick of dynamite weighing half a pound but a shell with 500lbs of explosive going off nearby, then tried to further picture not just one but hundreds raining down all around, for hours on end. I am surprised that more people didn't end up shattered wrecks. 

Cheers

Col

D0RBEA.jpg

A war protest held on the beach in Santa Barbara, California on Veteran's Day (11 NOV). The white crosses are US soldiers who have died thus far in Afghanistan. The black crosses represent the loss of US soldiers due to suicide. 

D9840F.jpg

Rest in peace.

D7NFPM.jpg

A memorial service for Santa Clara peace officers killed while on duty.

AHM5MD.jpg

Filey Beach in Yorks. This guy knows all about peace, there's no-one near him at all. 

Cheers

Col

B.O! :wacko: 

Allan

Congrats Julie, well deserved win! The man in your photo really makes feel that much more cold!

Here are my three Peaceful photos.  Good subject for a challenge!

A536MX.jpg

Children around a Peace Pole

A8964J.jpg

Peaceful setting in Oxford, Maryland

A8AMJR.jpg

Monks Pray in Bangkok

Don't do peace, searched in vain, but found this instead

C924W3.jpg

Mist over DerwentWater, or is it Derwent Water?

DG3HE4.jpg

A single yellow rose (Peace?) on a misty day at the American war cemetery in Cambridge UK

My three entries:

A week old baby girl peacefully sleeping

CFJJYC.jpg

At Peace- child's gravestone surrounded by yellow buttercups

BE0G0J.jpg

Peace and quiet of unspoilt sandy beaches on the West Coast island of Iona in Scotland

CP1TPT.jpg

Lynne

Archived