I don’t know if this is part of being exclusive; I don’t know if this is Alamy pursuing infringement on my behalf, but I have three postings of “other income” totaling around $153. Showing no deductions, as they probably have been taken behind the scenes. One of them is for $101 & pennies. If it is, then……

Thank you, Alamy!

Betty

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Is that DACS?  I got one for $16, which I assume is for DACS TV usage (since I claim other DACS usage myself).

Mine was $15, everything is welcome. Although not stated, it will be a DACS payment.

4 hours ago, Reimar said:

Is that DACS?  I got one for $16, which I assume is for DACS TV usage (since I claim other DACS usage myself).

I got one today too, for $25.42, and I'm assuming the same (DACS TV). Maybe the Account Balance transaction list will give more details when it updates overnight?

Mark

2 hours ago, Travelshots said:

this 60% commission is a rip off, for the amounts that sales are made for is completely unfair and just a benefit to the company bottom financial line.

Of course it is. But it’s been stuffed down our throats and there’s nothing we can do other than close our accounts. And photographers who have spent years out of their lives amassing a portfolio hate to do that. If I were barely into it, it would be a no-brainer. I’d quit.

• Love 3

12 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I had another "Other Income" today ( I got three DACS line items on the 3rd of this month) but not sure what this one is for.  Not complaining. This one was for $12.50.

the "Net Revenue Sales report" (AKA Download Sales Report) usually gives details.  My last one was Reversal of Affiliates commission (much smaller), but i think those are only on month end reconciliations  

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Two ASCRL payments dropped into the Sales Report today...I think it is the U.S. equivalent to DACS.  A total of little more than $300!   A very warm welcome to unexpected income!

Cheers Alamy!

Good for you Michael. It isn't quite the equivalent of DACS because USA does not have any similar sort of scheme where users pay for a collective licence to use images ( its schools, colleges, libraries etc that do so in UK and Europe). As I understand it all the ASCRL funds are given to them for distribution by actual collecting societies such as DACS. In turn DACS gets its income from the UK governmemt selling licences to users.

How and why that happens I have not managed to figure out but it is for having publications in USA. Perhaps somebody knows more?

It would be great for all photographers if USA did introduce some sort of equivalent scheme but I don't think that there has ever been the poltical interest to  make it happen. I assume that users of copyright material rely on Fair Use??

ASCRL distributes funds but does not collect funds. That's how I understand it anyway.

Edited by geogphotos

In the US, I believe our schools/colleges do pay educational fees to license images, though it sounds like it’s done very differently from the UK. It’s been a bit since I taught school, but I remember our head librarian keeping a log next to the copy machines. When we made photo copies of pages from books for classroom use, we were to record the details in the log book, which was then reported on up the ladder. We were restricted as to how many total copies we could make, and how many pages we could copy from each book. I’m assuming the fees paid went to book publishers, but that’s just a guess on my part.

46 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

In the US, I believe our schools/colleges do pay educational fees to license images, though it sounds like it’s done very differently from the UK. It’s been a bit since I taught school, but I remember our head librarian keeping a log next to the copy machines. When we made photo copies of pages from books for classroom use, we were to record the details in the log book, which was then reported on up the ladder. We were restricted as to how many total copies we could make, and how many pages we could copy from each book. I’m assuming the fees paid went to book publishers, but that’s just a guess on my part.

Thanks Cecile. I just learnt that there is an organisation called the Copyright Clearance Center:

I assume that you are correct that the money that schools pays goes via CCC to publishers. I don't think it goes to ASCRL but I am no expert.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1