Contract Change 2021 - Official thread

11 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Very disappointing, particularly after deceiving many of us into making our images exclusive when they already knew what they intended to do. I won't say it's actually dishonest, but it's certainly sharp practice.

Alex

Deleted - can't be bothered anymore

Edited by ReeRay
  • Like 4

"How many contributors actually earn over 25k? I'd imagine it's a pretty small minority?"

I'd like to know that too. With some 27,000 images on sale I get roughly $16,000 gross per annum, having been a contributor almost since the beginning. No chance of reaching $25,00 in my lifetime, it seems.

• Like 2

@Alamy since Alamy's Distribution commission is doubled (from 30% to 60%), will you open an opt-out window at the time of the Contract change, or are you making this change with no options for Contributor to address it until next April? 

actually i misread.  it's 60% of the remaining, but we have no limit on what the distributors take that i can see.  so this can be anything. 

ADDED NOTE:  Thanks for many pointing out blog states, New 3 Months window will open.  Still not sure why this wasn't contractual.

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

@Alamy since Alamy's Distribution commission is doubled (from 30% to 60%), will you open an opt-out window at the time of the Contract change, or are you making this change with no options for Contributor to address it until next April? 

As per blog:

It remains optional to be part of distribution sales. The current opt-out will be kept open for the next three months.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, AndrewP said:

A tip for new contributors who have yet to sign up to Alamy. Rather than apply with a collection of just a few images and continuously upload new work as soon as it’s created, wait until you have several hundred images ready. Then apply and upload it all at once as soon as you’re accepted and you’ll have a much better chance of beating the $250 limit within your first year.

Not at 20% they won't they will be chasing their tails for a long time if they will ever achieve $250 sales per

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

This is another gut punch.  I mentioned another thread, about being in a rut, that I have not ben as inspired to shoot stock for sake of stock....now it will be even tougher to get excited about shooting stock.  Another sad day in the timeline of stock photography.

I got to that point nearly five years ago. I too was thinking of restarting, against my better judegement on the future of stock photography (it is on its last legs and has been for years) . Thank you Alamy, you have prevented me wasting yet more tiome on you.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

My prediction to calm you all down?

Same as last time.

They will reconsider and hit non-exclusives even harder  ( 30% maybe) and you will all be relieved and go along with it. 🙃

I for one will not. If I am still here when that happens (and I say when not if) it will absolutely be the end of the road for me. As I feel now I am unlikely to submit any further images.

2 minutes ago, gvallee said:

As per blog:

It remains optional to be part of distribution sales. The current opt-out will be kept open for the next three months.

thanks, looked through the Contract changes and couldn't find anything.

may be 

Other thing i can't find is a limit or explicitly stated commission taken by the distributor.  So the drop may be even higher.  Here comes below one cents sales.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bill Allsopp said:

I for one will not. If I am still here when that happens (and I say when not if) it will absolutely be the end of the road for me. As I feel now I am unlikely to submit any further images.

Me too, And I DEFINTELY WILL NOTresume submitting as I was intending—I have not submitted for several years. I have a new account elsewhere so I will look at how I am going to use that and look at which (of my better, moist commercial) images I will need to pull from Alamy.

• Love 1

Guys, do not engage in verbiage, thereby spinning the thread and the forum as a whole!
As the management of the alami decided, so it will be. And nothing you can do.
I can imagine how they read your posts and grin.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 4

3 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

thanks, looked through the Contract changes and couldn't find anything.

may be 

Other thing i can't find is a limit or explicitly stated commission taken by the distributor.  So the drop may be even higher.  Here comes below one cents sales.

True, it only says 'you get 40% of what Alamy gets'.

• Thanks 1

New BLOG Post

https://www.alamy.com/blog/new-contributor-commission-structure?utm_campaign=1935473_Contract Change 2021&utm_medium=email&utm_source=contributoremail&dm_i=2SWW,15HF5,6KT8C8,4FXDQ,1

I don't remember anyone asking for this in the request for ideas for Blog Posts.  i guess that was really also just lip service. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Interesting wording on the distribution sales commission, it used to be that the distributor got 40% and alamy got 30% leaving 30% for you. Now Alamy get 60% of what is left AFTER the distributor has taken their cut for Platinum or Gold and 80% for silver.
If you assume the distributor is still taking 40% (it is totally undisclosed in the new table.)
Previously you got 30%

Platinum you will get 18%

Gold you will get 18%

and SIlver will get 12%

Have I got this wrong?

16 minutes ago, bokane said:

"How many contributors actually earn over 25k? I'd imagine it's a pretty small minority?"

I'd like to know that too. With some 27,000 images on sale I get roughly $16,000 gross per annum, having been a contributor almost since the beginning. No chance of reaching $25,00 in my lifetime, it seems.

This is probably a query built on misunderstanding, but there is a difference between 'sales' and 'earnings' (refer to the dashboard). My query is: does the tier cut off refer to 'sales' (ie total amount which includes Alamy commission ) or 'earnings' of the contributor..

• Alamy locked this topic
  • Alamy unlocked this topic