Contract Change 2021 - Official thread

2 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I'm actually even more concerned about some of the other clauses, which leave a lot of room for them to manoevre, but none for us. I've been through all this before with G.

i'm worried about the distribution clause, which sets no limits on what distributor can charge.  I resisted opting out until now, because i did get some decent final amounts but i will at least remove some of the more dubious markets for sure, and maybe all together. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, formerly snappyoncalifornia said:

Maybe if we bang our pot and pans loud enough like last time we will get them to reinstate our 50/50 split. Maybe they're counting on it. 

Hope so .. but probably unlikely.

The 50/50 split seemed fair for exclusive content. If they don't reinstate it then it's only sensible for those with exclusive content to mark it as non exclusive (as there is now no difference) and supply as many agencies as possible with these images. We are also in business after all and somehow need to make up the 20+% shortfall in revenue.

• Love 2
  • Like 6

End of the day its a numbers game and put simply nobody cares where the images come from ! 

Which, is a shame. Business I`m afraid.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, wilkopix said:

Hope so .. but probably unlikely.

The 50/50 split seemed fair for exclusive content. If they don't reinstate it then it's only sensible for those with exclusive content to mark it as non exclusive (as there is now no difference) and supply as many agencies as possible with these images. We are also in business after all and somehow need to make up the 20+% shortfall in revenue.

i have run out of "likes", so here is my 

👍✔️

• Love 2
  • Like 2

This is truly a bad development for those who took pains to set their images as exclusive.  This feels a lot like some of the jerking around we got when we had to re-annotate our images to maximize discoverability.

But as someone with only non-exclusive images, so far I see little down side from this change for me.  In fact, it seems my distributors sales will now net me 40% instead of 30%.

As consolation, think of the silver lining: some of you will now be able to submit to other libraries and double or triple your income.  I know it's a lot of work, but it is an opportunity.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Reimar said:

This is truly a bad development for those who took pains to set their images as exclusive.  This feels a lot like some of the jerking around we got when we had to re-annotate our images to maximize discoverability.

But as someone with only non-exclusive images, so far I see little down side from this change for me.  In fact, it seems my distributors sales will now net me 40% instead of 30%.

As consolation, think of the silver lining: some of you will now be able to submit to other libraries and double or triple your income.  I know it's a lot of work, but it is an opportunity.

You are missing the part where you are getting 40% of the amount that has already had the distributor cut taken, so more likely you will receive 18% of the total sale price.

Edited by BarryD
To clarify

27 minutes ago, formerly snappyoncalifornia said:

Maybe if we bang our pot and pans loud enough like last time we will get them to reinstate our 50/50 split. Maybe they're counting on it. 

Maybe we should just do a month long submission boycott for starters....

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

I was just getting back into my photography after a three year sabbatical. I have had a better tricle of sales this year and although the fees were dire I was going to start submitting to Alamy again. Not now, I will take a different route to making my photography support itself.

I won't be pulling my images from Alamy. I am not arrogant enouigh to think they would notice. After all, I am well aware that my photographs are not unique (except maybe the odd one) or believe that Alamy would lose a sale without my pictures, the client will no doubt find a suitable alternative amongst the 100's of million others on Alamy.

Martin

I've downloaded a handful of photos at the weekend - I can't be bothered to do the tags and titles to put them on sale anymore.

21 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

i'm worried about the distribution clause, which sets no limits on what distributor can charge.  I resisted opting out until now, because i did get some decent final amounts but i will at least remove some of the more dubious markets for sure, and maybe all together. 

I've now opted out of these sales - way too exploitative !

2 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Maybe i am missing something.  Assuming a distributor does not change their share (not part of our contract)

New Commission

Distributor= 40%

Alamy= 60% of Remaining so 36%

Contributor= 100%- 40% -36% = 24%

so that looks like a 20% drop in out earnings. 

1 minute ago, BarryD said:

You are missing the part where you are getting 40% of the amount that has already had the distributor cut taken, so more likely you will receive 18%

For Content sales via Alamy Websites

60%

40%

For Content sales via our Distributors after deduction of Distributor fee or commission

60%

40%

• Love 1

OK, I get it.  If the distributor fee is still 40% before that, we lose.

That's a bit of a sneaky table.  The real "what we earn" should be listed.

Edited by Reimar
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, jayembee69 said:

I've now opted out of these sales - way too exploitative !

i was still getting a few nice $$ from certain markets, so will review over next month.  But i still want @Alamyto address limitation on how much the Distributor can take which seems removed from our agreement. 

• Alamy locked this topic
  • Alamy unlocked this topic