The new Food Photography thread

6 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Hi Betty, my sister in law has just returned to the UK after 20yrs in the States. I asked her what the UK equivalents would be for your recipe and it comes out as this:

Koolade, there’s nothing really similar in the UK but you can get Koolade on Amazon.co.uk  Eagle Brand Condensed milk is probably the same as Carnation condensed milk.  Cool whip is like Birds Dream Topping and a Graham Cracker Crust is very similar to crushed up digestive biscuits mixed with butter (just like you would use for a cheesecake crust).    

Happy baking 🙂

How very clever of you! I have seen recipes from the UK before that looked very delicious, but I’ve been at a loss to figure out what American products to substitute. Your sister-in-law has it covered! 😁

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

This is my go to Key Lime Pie recipe, I usually serve the cream separately as I prefer the pie without! 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/key-lime-pie-1

My recipe is from the Bake Off book/Paul Hollywood.  It looks very similar though use 8 limes, also condensed milk.  I managed to get all the ingredients today so hope to have a go in the next few days.  Just realised I forgot to get fresh mint to decorate it😄. I now need more cupboards in my kitchen for all this baking stuff 😉

Carol

Unfortunately this is what passes for a hotel breakfast these days. Grab-and-go.

DSC06764.jpg

Film location catering is like this as well- in boxes- beef curry, salad and sponge and custard all in pots and boxes. Decent enough, but no stupendous buffets as in former times. Sorry, I forgot to photograph it, too busy scoffing.

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Unfortunately this is what passes for a hotel breakfast these days. Grab-and-go.

DSC06764.jpg

Film location catering is like this as well- in boxes- beef curry, salad and sponge and custard all in pots and boxes. Decent enough, but no stupendous buffets as in former times. Sorry, I forgot to photograph it, too busy scoffing.

That does not look very appetising but I'll take your word for it that it was fine.  Good example of how things have changed !

Carol

My heart shaped biscuits with jam were pretty much a disaster though they tasted ok - a lot of faffing around for not a lot😄

Today I will now attempt my American Key Lime pie 😄

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

By the way, the Koolade pie was good. And I forgot to take a picture of it. There’s some left, maybe I can just take one of a piece.

I think you should Betty, I would like to see it if possible.  Glad you enjoyed it, sounds amazing....

Carol

• Love 1

6 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Zoomed today (search term: 'overcooked food'), but no sale of this image yet. Can't think why...

Burnt pepperoni pizza on rack in oven Stock Photo

That's an unusual keyword though. I would think clients would be looking for burnt/burned food.

You could try to get the next one into this collection: The Burnt Food Museum. 😂

(Via WeirdUniverse)

wim

edit: I since learnt/learned some more about the curator (and primary contributor) Deborah Henson-Conant of HipHarp, which is not a hip harp, well it is: it's a harp you wear on the hip. Hilarious TedX Talk here : a harp is a bicycle! Who would have thought. 

edit2: one more link.

Edited by wiskerke

Not cooking but I grew those tomatoes - fresh from the garden. Have cooked a lot and tried to remember to shoot what I cook but it seems I have not uploaded and new cooking pix here so I'll add them when I do. 

I worked as an assistant part time for a food photographer for 3 years and I could never do what she does, but food is a readily available prop, and we're lucky it is with many going hungry. Good food is certainly worth celebrating. 

a-man-with-hard-working-rough-hands-holds-out-a-fresh-crop-of-ripe-grape-tomatoes-from-a-recent-harvest-authentic-gardening-2CEAGC2.jpg

• Love 1

PS I made slow cooker pork the other day. I shot the raw meat, rolled it in spices, and took a shot in the pot. 12 hours later when it was finally done and we were hungry, took it out

let it rest on the cutting board for 20 minutes while I made some sides, then pulled it all apart before I remembered to shoot the cooked roast!!! So I took some shots of the final pulled pork but I'd also forgotten to shoot it as it was cooking🤦‍♀️ 

On 19/02/2021 at 08:56, Thyrsis said:

This is my go to Key Lime Pie recipe, I usually serve the cream separately as I prefer the pie without! 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/key-lime-pie-1

I made this over the weekend. 😋 I am now holding you personally responsible for the failure of my diet. 🤣

3 hours ago, losdemas said:

I made this over the weekend. 😋 I am now holding you personally responsible for the failure of my diet. 🤣

Haha! Wait until I give you my sticky toffee pudding recipe.....

6 hours ago, Marianne said:

Not cooking but I grew those tomatoes - fresh from the garden. Have cooked a lot and tried to remember to shoot what I cook but it seems I have not uploaded and new cooking pix here so I'll add them when I do. 

I worked as an assistant part time for a food photographer for 3 years and I could never do what she does, but food is a readily available prop, and we're lucky it is with many going hungry. Good food is certainly worth celebrating. 

a-man-with-hard-working-rough-hands-holds-out-a-fresh-crop-of-ripe-grape-tomatoes-from-a-recent-harvest-authentic-gardening-2CEAGC2.jpg

Certainly is worth celebrating and a lovely image simple but effective, I think I'm guilty of overthinking when it comes to food photography ....

Carol

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Haha! Wait until I give you my sticky toffee pudding recipe.....

Waiting.....waiting..... 

I made my American Key Lime Pie yesterday - this took nearly all day and again the kitchen looked like a toddler had been in there but the neighbours thought it was amazing - I think my taste buds have changed as I found it too sweet and I have a sweet tooth - my Italian meringue also needs a bit of work😄but on the plus side I used the blowtorch without setting the kitchen on fire.  Haven't processed the pics yet.....

Carol

D45XKT.jpg
Bought and cooked some pulled pork. Half way though eating it for some reason I decided to take a photo - over to the 'studio', quick shot, carry on eating.
It ended up on a Scandinavian website.

B6GBFK.jpg

Similar story

and finally

PD33MP.jpg

the rare and elusive potato spider (Arachnus spuddii)

• Love 1

Mark, you said awhile back that you were not going to upload your tasty pizza snap because there are so many pizza images on Alamy. Upload it. My pizza snaps are nothing special, but I've had 12 pizza sales. If you don't play, you can't win.

Let me repeat my "rules" for food images: I aim for the style point between studio-perfect and casual reality. My food must look tasty. Meal pictures do best if they are simple. 

Here's my lunch yesterday at home.

2EJKJ87.jpg

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Mark, you said awhile back that you were not going to upload your tasty pizza snap because there are so many pizza images on Alamy. Upload it. My pizza snaps are nothing special, but I've had 12 pizza sales. If you don't play, you can't win.

Let me repeat my "rules" for food images: I aim for the style point between studio-perfect and casual reality. My food must look tasty. Meal pictures do best if they are simple. 

2EJKJ87.jpg

Thanks, Edo. I've done so. They're my first uploads this year.

Liverpool I will probably leave to you. It was rather dull on Friday but there are a couple of the museum in some rather attractive morning light before it clouded over. There can't be more than a few thousand on Alamy already after all........;)

The statues I've left to you. I already have Doddy, though he seems to have picked up Bessie Braddock recently, and they're taped off anyway.

Edited by spacecadet

39 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

2EJKJ87.jpg

Nice photo Edo and a tasty healthy meal too.

Allan

We have a Chocolate Guinness Cake in the oven at the moment. It’s another Nigella recipe. It meant I had to buy a four pack of Guinness tins yesterday (the recipe needs half a tin but one small bottle was half the price of the four pack). So, in the interests cake research, I enjoyed a couple of tins of Guinness last night 🙂

I’ll post some pics as soon as they’re processed.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/30/the-20-best-nigella-lawson-recipes-part-4-puddings-cakes-trifle-pavlova

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Nice photo Edo and a tasty healthy meal too.

Allan

Allan, the salmon was bought at M&S and labelled Wild Pacific salmon not Scottish farmed. Hmm. Wild has more mercury than farmed but farmed can have other problems and has less taste.

(I had two glasses of Pinot Noir since I drink light red wine with game fish. White is fine too but a decent white is more expensive.)

Edited by Ed Rooney