The new Food Photography thread

22 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I never tasted anything Tex-mex or Italian until I was married and had some cookbooks, and learned Mexican from my in-laws who had lived in South Texas nearly on the border of Mexico for awhile.

I'm sure you're an excellent cook, Betty. I'd kill an innocent stranger for a slice of your apple pie. 

The Mexican food I had in my two months in San Miguel de Allende was great. New York would have to shutdown all its restaurants if they lost their undocumented Mexican kitchen staffs. 

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

Haha, a knowledgeable contributor. Yes, I am fully aware of the effort and danger in collecting one of my favourite seafoods. The price was 70 euros a kilo this last Christmas, so the rewards were not quite so good during these troubled times.

https://qz.com/1506520/why-spains-percebeiros-risk-their-lives-during-christmas/

And there was an item about Goose Barnacles last night on BBC Winterwatch. They didn't eat them. But they did have nice footage. We don't get BBC Iplayer on the continent, so you'll have to look for it yourself.

Intrigued how they taste though.

wim

12 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

If you search for the word food on Alamy there are 15.5 million images. About 13 of  them are mine. This is the only one that has sold, not a set up shot, just something I ate on holiday! 

gelato-in-brioche-in-a-cafe-in-sicily-A6

Is the bun Brioche?

Allan

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This was my first sale of food. Blueberry muffins. The second is the cucumbers with ranch dressing.

a-plate-of-six-blueberry-muffins-in-silisliced-cucumber-with-fat-free-ranch-dres

Not heard of that one. How do you make ranch dressing?

Allan

Wow such lovely food images, I have tried over the last few days but now I'm probably overthinking things and need to keep things simple maybe.  Also seem to have the urge to want to zoom in on everything🙃I will download my efforts onto the Mac today and see what they look like😁

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
change of wording

8 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wow such lovely food images, I have tried over the last few days but now I'm probably overthinking things and need to keep things simple maybe.  Also seem to have the urge to want to zoom in on everything🙃I will download my efforts onto the Mac today and see what they look like😁

Carol

No need to wait till they're on Alamy- mine aren't and won't be- we want to see them! I use postimages to host but you probably have your favourite already.

OK, I feel very inadequate here amongst all this talent -  for photography and cooking! But I'll drop in one effort: a Dalgona Coffee (one step off instant! 🤣)

Dalgona Coffee, TikTok trending drink, with ingredients - coffee, sugar and water. Stock Photo

EDIT: uurgh - horrible glare on left. Have to have another stab at this.

Edited by losdemas
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm sure you're an excellent cook, Betty. I'd kill an innocent stranger for a slice of your apple pie. 

The Mexican food I had in my two months in San Miguel de Allende was great. New York would have to shutdown all its restaurants if they lost their undocumented Mexican kitchen staffs. 

Here's a video that popped up with a local from Little Italy who says some of the same things I was saying about Italian cooking and American Italian cooking..

• Love 2

6 minutes ago, losdemas said:

OK, I feel very inadequate here amongst all this talent -  for photography and cooking! But I'll drop in one effort: a Dalgona Coffee (one step off instant! 🤣)

EDIT: uurgh - horrible glare on left. Have to have another stab at this.

I was much too polite to mention it😇 but if the light needed to be there I would probably just have cropped it out.

Not inadequate at all, it's a decently-executed pic. The food's important, not how clever the photographer looks.

Edited by spacecadet

Just now, spacecadet said:

I was much too polite to mention it😇 but if the light needed to be there I would probably just have cropped it out.

😄 Please don't worry about that, Mark. I'm always happy to receive constructive criticism. Sometimes I make glaring errors 🙄 which I only pick up on (much) later (story of my life 😂)!

I regard myself as very much in the lower orders here, only occasionally either striking lucky or having the rare moment of inspiration.  I know my place (not as funny as the original, but nice variation on a theme).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, losdemas said:

😄 Please don't worry about that, Mark. I'm always happy to receive constructive criticism. Sometimes I make glaring errors 🙄 which I only pick up on (much) later (story of my life 😂)!

I regard myself as very much in the lower orders here, only occasionally either striking lucky or having the rare moment of inspiration.  I know my place (not as funny as the original, but nice variation on a theme).

Fair enough, but really, you can't always avoid stuff like that, and if you can crop it out, it's no issue.. Even I (😇) might have left it.

You could probably have flagged it off the tabletop with a bit of black card (are you using window light or a softbox? My not being able to tell is something of a compliment BTW;). I ask because there are what seem like glazing bars in the catchlight).

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Fair enough, but really, you can't always avoid stuff like that, and if you can crop it out, it's no issue.. Even I (😇) might have left it.

You could probably have flagged it off the tabletop with a bit of black card (are you using window light or a softbox? My not being able to tell is something of a compliment BTW;). I ask because there are what seem like glazing bars in the catchlight).

Yup, it was sunlight through the window diffused by net curtains : ) Quite right, I should have done something about it at the time of shooting (black card ideal, as you say).

Unfortunately, the only softbox I have is sitting on my shoulders. I'll go back into Lightroom to see what I did and how it might be improved. If cropping is the only answer, then I'll do that. Thanks again! : )

6 minutes ago, losdemas said:

the only softbox I have is sitting on my shoulders.

:lol:You might be able to remedy that with a highlights brush or a grad filter. Try it on the photo as well.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

Well here's 2 from last week before this thread started.  I don't have another hosting site so whatever I shoot goes on here🙃  Always open to constructive critique, I know my pancakes don't look as appetising as others but they are yummy but I know you can't taste images ha ha.  The ones I made yesterday were dressed up a bit more and did look better but not happy with the images.......

2E4E0YA.jpg

2E4E0YM.jpg

Carol

• Love 2

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I buy ranch dressing at the supermarket. Several manufacturers make it, and there are varieties, like Peppercorn ranch. It is wildly popular in the states, and many food establishments have it as a choice for dipping sauce. It is my favorite salad dressing right after Bleu cheese.

G3PHJK.jpg
K82MP9.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

50 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I buy ranch dressing at the supermarket. Several manufacturers make it, and there are varieties, like Peppercorn ranch. It is wildly popular in the states, and many food establishments have it as a choice for dipping sauce. It is my favorite salad dressing right after Bleu cheese.

G3PHJK.jpg
K82MP9.jpg

Thanks Betty. I thought it might have been your own recipe.

Allan

One from a specialty fish house that serves guapote (large cichlids) from a local hydropower lake in the north central part of Nicaragua.  Hasn't sold.  I think I need to work more in studio settings with food as it looks like raked light and picking the "hero" of the shot makes for a better presentation.   This was for a family of four.  I had a different cichlid species.  This one was a Parachromis dovii, which gets up to over two feet long in good situations. 

2A2PH81.jpg

• Love 2

Norm, is that cocaine I see on the top left of your tarts? Naughty boy. 

A lot of you are producing some tasty bites. I'm so sick of cooking in a microwave.

On Alamy's food suggestion, I see examples of two things that both bother and confuse me. A stack of pancakes too high to deal with and a burger too thick to bite into. The pictures look good; I'm not dissing the photography. I just want to know who eats this kind of thing?

2D4YNKX.jpg

11 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Coincidentally there was a recipe for ranch dressing in The Guardian today! Although personally I would go with mayonnaise not tofu!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/28/ranch-dressing-improves-everything-so-i-tried-to-improve-ranch-dressing