The new Food Photography thread

5 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

That looks lush Steve 😄  I've also been experimenting - yesterday was chocolate stripey cheesecake - bakeoff book - all gone now I may have one image though will need to make it again so I'm told😉   Below is a just some crudités I made when I worked out how to use the gadget in the food processor😁

2F0JX3B.jpg

Today I'm making salmon fishcakes for a neighbour and will attempt to photograph them also😉

Carol

It would be good to see them. Is that Bake Off book any good?

One other question Carol. How do you place those non Alamy pics into forum messages. I’ve tried using Dropbox, as someone on here suggested, but I couldn’t make it work for me 🙁

Hi Steve, I can only do the pics I have on Alamy as I don't have them anywhere else apart from on my Mac.  So I go into image manager, right click and then copy image address and paste on here.  I haven't tried dropbox.  I use iMac and Safari.

I didn't get around to shooting the fishcakes🙃.  However, I did make the fruit scones using your recipe - oooh la la very yummy though it was a last minute thing and I didn't have any jam or clotted cream so will have to make them again !  Next time I will add a few more sultanas and make them a little bigger - it's all a learning curve but my neighbours are very happy to be guinea pigs😄

The bake off book is..... The Great British Bake Off How to turn everyday bakes into Showstoppers - think it was about 2012 version.

•  
Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
oops

On 08/03/2021 at 03:57, Steve Hyde said:

Here you go Betty. It’s the best recipe we’ve tried

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/food/recipes/baking/scones/mary-berry-fruit-scones

a-batched-of-freshly-baked-home-made-fru

Those scones look awesome but what's a sultana? (Edit: I later saw that it's like a golden raisin - probably the closest thing we could find over here) 

I think clotted cream is similar to Crème Fraîche which I've made - it seemed so weird to leave cream on my windowsill for hours and hours, but it was amazing. Tastier than whipped cream. I haven't made it in years but now it seems necessary. Along with the scones. 

My husband, who's a good cook but never baked until the pandemic, decided to make a gluten free chocolate cake early one morning recently before I woke up. He was supposed to use a bundt pan but had no idea what it was, nor that of course we had one. Instead, he used one of my loaf pans which I normally use for quick breads, so he called it chocolate bread and decided we could have it for breakfast. OMG it was good! And he had half the batter left for a second.

Maybe I should try Irish soda bread this week in honor of St. Patrick? 

Edited by Marianne

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

I think clotted cream is similar to Crème Fraîche which I've made - it seemed so weird to leave cream on my windowsill for hours and hours, but it was amazing. Tastier than whipped cream. 

Not really, they are quite different! Crème Fraîche is a ‘soured’ cream made using a bacterial culture and it has a much lower fat content than clotted cream. And  clotted cream is much thicker, like soft butter! 

Might have to make scones today.....

Edited by Thyrsis

STOP IT! STOPIT! STOP IT!  You are making me drooooool.

Have to go and get my dinner/lunch now.  Having sweet and sour chicken.

Allan

We have a new Saturday Farmer’s Market close by, so for lunch we had crusty bread and a very nice piece of Comté cheese with the membrillo I made from quinces scrumped on a visit to a National Trust house last year! 

membrillo.jpg?w=388

Edited by Thyrsis

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

We have a new Saturday Farmer’s Market close by, so for lunch we had crusty bread and a very nice piece of Comté cheese with the membrillo I made from quinces scrumped on a visit to a National Trust house last year! 

membrillo.jpg?w=388

I bet that tasted good though I've never tried membrillo...even better when you've picked the ingredients yourself😄

I've just printed off a receipe for New York Cheesecake so will have a go at that next week😁

Carol

8 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Not really, they are quite different! Crème Fraîche is a ‘soured’ cream made using a bacterial culture and it has a much lower fat content than clotted cream. And  clotted cream is much thicker, like soft butter! 

Might have to make scones today.....

I'll have to try it next time I'm across the pond. 

On 12/03/2021 at 10:54, spacecadet said:

Yours didn't.

You still use what we would see as anachronisms- because they stopped evolving when the settlers left the UK. Here they didn't stop.

That applies to spelling too- spelling was more flexible in Georgian times- here, color, humor were used interchangeably with colour, humour, for example.  You still use them, but we formalised the spelling when literacy became more widespread.

Interesting.

Well, David, it's good to see someone eating something beside creamy sweets. I have to warn all you hardcore bakers to cut back on your sugar consumption. I feel it would be best if you pack up all those baked dessert and send them to me. I'll take the responsibility of disposing of them. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/03/2021 at 18:48, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thanks to Steve again for the recipe - my second attempt at these was so much better😁

2F3DACD.jpg

Carol

That looks fantastic Carol. Seeing that made me want to bake them again. We had a lockdown, take away, treat the other weekend. A good old Doner Kebab on Nan Bread 🙂

a-take-away-doner-kebab-or-donor-kebab-s

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

The takeaway food looks yummy and agree you don't have to spend vast amounts or do fancy cooking to get a good image.  Betty's Koolaid Pie looks extremely lush as well and having a sweet tooth, could be right up my street😁   The other day I made a New York Cheesecake.  It worked really well so I'm told😁  I did try just one small slice just to test it, the rest of it was distributed to neighbours.  I wasn't happy with the few images I took but no doubt will make it again at some stage😃  So that is now two cheesecakes that need another go, the chocolate stripey one and the New York one.  My attempts at bakes are giving me something to do and I'm finding it quite challenging and it takes up some time - most of which is spent cleaning the kitchen.  Also I've made roasted red pepper humous, again it was very nice and I will make again at some point and also lemon pepper humous.

Back to the scones - I think next time I will add glace cherries to them also 😄

Carol

• Love 2

On 19/03/2021 at 18:03, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

The takeaway food looks yummy and agree you don't have to spend vast amounts or do fancy cooking to get a good image.  Betty's Koolaid Pie looks extremely lush as well and having a sweet tooth, could be right up my street😁   The other day I made a New York Cheesecake.  It worked really well so I'm told😁  I did try just one small slice just to test it, the rest of it was distributed to neighbours.  I wasn't happy with the few images I took but no doubt will make it again at some stage😃  So that is now two cheesecakes that need another go, the chocolate stripey one and the New York one.  My attempts at bakes are giving me something to do and I'm finding it quite challenging and it takes up some time - most of which is spent cleaning the kitchen.  Also I've made roasted red pepper humous, again it was very nice and I will make again at some point and also lemon pepper humous.

Back to the scones - I think next time I will add glace cherries to them also 😄

Carol

Need to get you over here to teach you how to make apple or apricot fried pies. Mine are not baked, but truly fried. Your eyes just might roll up in your head. 😁 my time in the kitchen is abbreviated these days, but I did make a cream pie, today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started the thread with pizza, then stopped contributing! This isn't even my cooking, a man's got to know his limitations.

These are OH's Stilton, mustard and spring onion scones. Images hosts are all over the place this weekend- one of these should work!

DSC07366.jpg

DSC07366.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2

I’m still baking. I’ve moved on to a gluten free recipe book, not the we’re gluten free, I just liked the look of these salted caramel brownies. They were ‘gert lush’ to use some local Bristolian slang 😋

a-freshly-cooked-batch-of-salted-caramel

• Love 1
  • Like 1

They look good also 😊 I'm still using your scone recipe on a regular basis, tweaking it a little adding more sultanas and glace cherries. I had intended to use just cherries the other day but alas, by the time I'd nibbled a few out of the tub, there weren't enough left to do just with cherries😄  Also done a few more cheesecakes but haven't photographed them as yet😁. Here's a triple chocolate log from the bakeoff book, doesn't look too pretty but was lush 😄

2F6F74H.jpg

Carol