Images sold in December 2020

44 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

Thanks very much for this, Webby. I was a bit puzzled, as I had also noticed the RAMC patch on the uniform. My uncle told me he was at Ash Vale, but I always thought he was in the REME, as he was a plumbing and heating engineer, and he said he was given his stripes (sergeant or corporal, I'm not sure which), because of his trade.. I think you must be right though. I will add the keywords you suggested, and ask him again next time I see him.

Just for curiosity, how did you get the copyright of that image to be able to license it?

By the way, a very nice and good feeling image. Smiles everywhere even spitting and cleaning boots :)

Thank you an regards

29 minutes ago, shearwater said:

Just for curiosity, how did you get the copyright of that image to be able to license it?

I'm sure Vb has this in hand, but in the UK in 1956, copyright in a photograph belonged to the owner of the film. So if it was taken with his uncle's camera, he owns the copyright and has presumably given permission.

Alternatively, if it is an official Service photograph, it is out of copyright as the term of Crown copyright is only 50 years from creation or publication.

Edited by spacecadet

25 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'm sure Vb has this in hand, but in the UK in 1956, copyright in a photograph belonged to the owner of the film. So if it was taken with his uncle's camera, he owns the copyright and has presumably given permission.

Alternatively, if it is an official Service photograph, it is out of copyright as the term of Crown copyright is only 50 years from creation or publication.

Thanks, Spacecadet. You're right that's it's old enough to be out of copyright.

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Of course, I was thinking that Vb has all the rights and permissions. No doubt about it.

Just asking to learn how to "borrow" some images from an old aunt that has pass away recently. 
Everyday you learn something new. Thank you, Mark!

9 hours ago, shearwater said:

Of course, I was thinking that Vb has all the rights and permissions. No doubt about it.

Just asking to learn how to "borrow" some images from an old aunt that has pass away recently. 
Everyday you learn something new. Thank you, Mark!

Just ask the permission of whoever the images were left to in her will. However if she did not take them, the copyright will belong to the photographer. If they are old enough you may be prepared to take a chance, but for myself, I only have archive images I have taken myself, with one exception which was taken by my late father. I am assuming Spanish law is not too different from ours.

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Just ask the permission of whoever the images were left to in her will. However if she did not take them, the copyright will belong to the photographer. If they are old enough you may be prepared to take a chance, but for myself, I only have archive images I have taken myself, with one exception which was taken by my late father. I am assuming Spanish law is not too different from ours.

Yes, spanish law should be similar. I will try to find out about it. Thanks, Mark.

female-eastern-tiger-swallowtail-butterfly-papilio-glaucus-pollinating-a-pink-zinnia-elegans-in-a-garden-in-westchester-county-new-york-2CEB57E.jpg

Usage: Editorial, Rights granted for editorial book (print + digital), interior placement only. Rights also include unlimited worldwide circulation, all languages, for the life of the title.
Media: Book, print and/or e-book
50 MB
5100 x 3402 pixels
2 MB compressed
Print run: Unlimited
Placement: Inside
Image Size: Any size
Start: 11 December 2020
Duration: In perpetuity

Low $$ - $ to me for a book - but nice to license something shot in my garden this summer. They say butterflies and flowers don't sell as stock but I only have a handful and they seem to do okay even if this one was for far less than I'd anticipate for the use. 

• Love 5

17 hours ago, Marianne said:

female-eastern-tiger-swallowtail-butterfly-papilio-glaucus-pollinating-a-pink-zinnia-elegans-in-a-garden-in-westchester-county-new-york-2CEB57E.jpg

Usage: Editorial, Rights granted for editorial book (print + digital), interior placement only. Rights also include unlimited worldwide circulation, all languages, for the life of the title.
Media: Book, print and/or e-book
50 MB
5100 x 3402 pixels
2 MB compressed
Print run: Unlimited
Image Size: Any size
Start: 11 December 2020
Duration: In perpetuity

Low $$ - $ to me for a book - but nice to license something shot in my garden this summer. They say butterflies and flowers don't sell as stock but I only have a handful and they seem to do okay even if this one was for far less than I'd anticipate for the use. 

I have 243 butterfly images and have sold 12. Not that good. I’ve sold way more of flowers, a few hummingbird moths, and lots of bees. I like photographing these subjects...my candy treat, so to say, so I’ll continue even if my CTR takes a hit. Those sales add up overall.
I can’t take the subjects I most love to photograph away or I might as well hang up my spurs. The secret is to not confine yourself to seldom-sold subjects, and offer more of your bread & butter images, even if taking them doesn’t particularly excite you.

• Love 1

I wouldn't like think what might be bread and butter subjects any more. They never taught anything about that at art school and after 50 years in the business I would hesitate to offer any advice. There was a time when I thought I knew a bit about it but I think I've lost it.

13 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

I wouldn't like think what might be bread and butter subjects any more. They never taught anything about that at art school and after 50 years in the business I would hesitate to offer any advice. There was a time when I thought I knew a bit about it but I think I've lost it.

Well, bread & butter images for me are my own personal images (subjects) in my port that sell the most often. Since most of our ports are different, I assume the “bread & butter” images will change somewhat for each of us. And one can’t recognize these until one has added enough variation over time to start seeing a pattern in their licenses.
I remember the first time I introduced a different set of similar subjects and got a quick sale for good money. I began to concentrate on those more to see if it was a fluke or had legs, and it has paid off. You know the old saying, “even a blind squirrel can find....”
I believe in variation.

2 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

These are the first 100 of AoA for the running year.

It's 24 pages before the UCO dips under 20.

Only at page 91, UCO is less than 10.

wim

Search Term                                                        UCO

Coronavirus 388
alamy 335
login 295
v 257
Covid 19 230
cat 229
DOG 223
london 175
Marilyn Monroe 160
christmas 159
greta thunberg 154
donald trump 152
boris johnson 149
car 140
paris 137
covid 134
trump 130
joe biden 129
Black Lives Matter 124
picasso 123
history%20and%20historical%20and%20archive 120
lifestyle 119
family 119
james bond 119
titanic 117
sean connery 116
free 116
frida kahlo 113
David Bowie 113
harry potter 113
new york 112
world map 111
apple 110
Martin Luther king 110
Australia 108
spanish flu 107
John Lennon 106
beach 105
queen elizabeth ii 104
tree 103
queen victoria 101
star wars 101
toutes 101
andy warhol 99
Michael Jordan 98
beethoven 97
Elvis Presley 97
winston churchill 96
the beatles 94
woman 94
lion 93
social distancing 93
kamala harris 91
nelson mandela 89
Jimi Hendrix 88
mona lisa 88
beatles 88
london skyline 88
ruth bader ginsburg 87
bob dylan 87
Vector%20or%20vectors%20or%20illustration 85
rainbow 84
video 84
climate change 84
Audrey Hepburn 82
earth 81
food 81
horse 81
leonardo da vinci 81
face mask 81
sky 81
george floyd 80
back to the future 80
alalmy 80
flowers 80
david attenborough 79
agatha christie 79
Martin Luther King Jr 79
taylor swift 79
alarmy 79
books 78
forest 78
water 78
amsterdam 77
Muhammad ali 77
rome 77
doctor 77
hitler 77
Berlin 76
travel 76
corona virus 75
house 75
india 75
SCHOOL 74
coffee 74
christmas tree 74
FRIENDS 74
ve day 74
steve jobs 73
albert einstein

Flower is about midway on that top-100 list. And free is very high. 😒

It's funny how books is in there - I've sold a few photos of books (the first taken for a local magazine some years ago and then I re-did an updated version which also sold). Not something I'd expected to sell but shows it's hard to guess.

Wish I had pix of the Beatles - they're in there twice. Maybe I'll shoot some old albums? An our daughter sent us a 1000-piece Beatles puzzle lately. A twofer- stay at home and a popular subject? 

22 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Flower is about midway on that top-100 list. And free is very high. 😒

It's funny how books is in there - I've sold a few photos of books (the first taken for a local magazine some years ago and then I re-did an updated version which also sold). Not something I'd expected to sell but shows it's hard to guess.

Wish I had pix of the Beatles - they're in there twice. Maybe I'll shoot some old albums? An our daughter sent us a 1000-piece Beatles puzzle lately. A twofer- stay at home and a popular subject?

But would you own the copyright? And what about the competition?

If it's really easy it's all over the micros, and they are all over here. So maybe go for the slightly less easy things with lower views, but still respectable UCO.

wim

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/J6W6B8/malaga-cathedral-with-old-town-scenic-view-from-gibralfaro-at-sunset-J6W6B8.jpg

Australia Magazine - print, digital and electronic ;  Print run: up to 10,000 Print run: 22,000 - mid low/low mid $$

Print run - how many? One is what you pay for and one is what you get, but which is which?

Note I left all the birds in the sky. Malaga.

wim

• Love 2

$$$ - distributor sale 🙁

Empress Mathilde in the Luxembourg Gardens
KBJ1MT.jpg

Usage: Editorial

Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic

Print run: up to 10,000

Start: 01-November-2020 ; End: 01-November-2025

• Like 1