December 2020 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

One from the Panasonic GF1 which I took years ago:

2DHYYX1.jpg

Some families in Nicaragua don't just stick their dead in the ground.  Family mausoleum, taken in the dry season.

Another of the Jinotega Municipal Cemetario showing more of the hills around town.

2DHYYX6.jpg

At the top of the mountain is a cross and since this photo was made, a mirador.   Walking up to Peña de la Cruz is a common hike for tourists and locals, but there is a road on the back of the mountain.   Some people live uphill from the cemetery and give directions on how to get to the cross.  

Some shots from a very arduous and challenging hike/scramble above Makapuu on the East end of Oahu, Hawaii. Taken in October but uploaded in December

Manana and Kaohikaipu Islands in the Pacific Ocean seen from ridgetop above Makapuu, East Oahu, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Stock Photo

Manana and Kaohikaipu Islands in the Pacific Ocean seen from ridge top above Makapuu, East Oahu, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - Image ID: 2DP5FF4

Mature Caucasian man looking towards Manana and Kaohikaipu Islands in the Pacific Ocean from ridgetop above Makapuu, East Oahu, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Stock Photo

Mature Caucasian man looking towards Manana and Kaohikaipu Islands in the Pacific Ocean from ridgetop above Makapuu, East Oahu, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - Image ID: 2DMBK37

makapuu-beach-park-waimanalo-honolulu-oahu-hawaii-usa-2DP5FEK.jpg

Makapuu Beach Park, Waimanalo, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA - Image ID: 2DP5FEK

Edited by dlmphotog
formating
  • Love 2

When someone gives your wife a bunch of roses, obviously they have to be photographed!

close-up-view-of-a-bouquet-of-yellow-roses-2DNPN63.jpg

My son drew a self-portrait... I photographed it and decided to upload because you never know....a-childs-self-portrait-drawing-in-colourful-felt-tip-pens-2DJA9AK.jpg

My son recorded a song for our church... so of course, had to take a photo!

a-boy-singing-into-a-microphone-recording-vocals-for-a-song-2DFMY3W.jpg

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

These are some of the first pictures I took with my digital camera. I'm looking at some earlier photos more closely and uploading a few.

Ocean Beach, San Francisco. The Cliff House in the back just announced its closure after 157 years.Beach walkers visiting Ocean Beach on a very foggy day with The Cliff House in the background. San Francisco, California Stock Photo

A couple walking on a cold, foggy Ocean Beach. Homes in the Richmond District in the background. San Francisco, California, CA Stock Photo

Edited by The Blinking Eye
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

My son drew a self-portrait... I photographed it and decided to upload because you never know....a-childs-self-portrait-drawing-in-colourful-felt-tip-pens-2DJA9AK.jpg

love the self portrait.  Curious as this is 2d art, wouldn't you require some "context" around,   I assume the artist won't sue you, but you never know....

• Love 1

12 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

love the self portrait.  Curious as this is 2d art, wouldn't you require some "context" around,   I assume the artist won't sue you, but you never know....

I have a property release! I even clicked 'yes' to the property question and 'yes' to having a release in AIM. I'd like to think that a little bit of common sense applies too. And I guess this is a little akin to uploading vector graphics.

This one isn't showing up as on sale yet, or in my blue numbers, but it's one I took in rural Virginia before I left the US, and the only thing I had of the original shot on film was a smallish scan.  Massaged it, enlarged it in Photoshop, wondering about the cars as modern technological ghosts against an 18th Century house, and sent it in to Alamy and then researched and found that the house had quite a past and was now an event hotel.   The addition on the right is 20th century.  And a window was probably cemented over on what's now a bathroom.   Hillsboro, Virginia, national historical district expansion area.

At one time in the 19th Century, the house's stone was stuccoed over and a hundred years later removed.

2DNXR3N.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I uploaded some of my own skies and have to say the sky replacement tool really saved this image taken on a gray soggy day - nothing like spending a week at the beach to take photos and having it rain or drizzle nearly every day. Gray skies do not sell travel scenics so gotta love this new tool.

cape-cod-lighthouse-also-known-as-highland-light-station-it-is-the-oldest-light-house-on-cape-cod-north-truro-massachusetts-usa-labor-day-weekend-2D87XFM.jpg

• Love 4

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Mmmmm... home cooking. The moral: don't take a phone call while there's pizza in the oven...

burnt-pepperoni-pizza-on-rack-in-oven-2DTTYPJ.jpg

Thought you needed a special oven for pizzas.

Allan

12 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thought you needed a special oven for pizzas.

Allan

So did lots of folks till needs must!

John may indeed have on, but no, a large, very hot frying pan, followed by topping and a go under a hot grill does the job. Been doing it every Friday since you-know-when.

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

So did lots of folks till needs must!

John may indeed have on, but no, a large, very hot frying pan, followed by topping and a go under a hot grill does the job. Been doing it every Friday since you-know-when.

It does not appear that John used a frying pan? I would at least have placed it on a tray.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

It does not appear that John used a frying pan?

Allan

No, it doesn't look like the frying pan shape. But you need to cook the base through quite quickly before the topping goes on. Perhaps he grills it and flips it over. More than one way, etc.,etc.

Edited by spacecadet

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

No, it doesn't look like the frying pan shape. But you need to cook the base through quite quickly before the topping goes on. Perhaps he grills it and flips it over.

Ah right. I have not cooked a pizza before so on a learning curve here. Thank you. Something to try in the New Year.

Allan

8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Ah right. I have not cooked a pizza before so on a learning curve here.

This is the first time I've had my cooking skills questioned on the forum! The pizza in the pic was supermarket-bought; the best thing about it was the picture on the box...

I also cook pizza from scratch, and enjoy making the dough. I use a wine bottle to roll it out, which gives me an excuse to empty the bottle first. My home-made pizzas taste great, and a regular oven is fine. Just don't leave them in too long... or they'll end up like my pic!

20 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

This is the first time I've had my cooking skills questioned on the forum! The pizza in the pic was supermarket-bought; the best thing about it was the picture on the box...

I also cook pizza from scratch, and enjoy making the dough. I use a wine bottle to roll it out, which gives me an excuse to empty the bottle first. My home-made pizzas taste great, and a regular oven is fine. Just don't leave them in too long... or they'll end up like my pic!

I used to roll out, but then tried just, well, kinda prodding and shoving it into a circle- the back of the hand Neapolitan thing is for steelier-eyed missile men than me- and you maintain some more of the air and a thicker base that way compared with rolling. You just have to try not to poke holes in it.  I have decided that circularity is over-rated;)

About 3 or 4 minutes in the pan, then top, then 3 or 4 under the hot grill. Chorizo, olives, cheese, a bit of chopped capsicum...mmm....never varies, neither of us wants it to.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I used to roll out, but then tried just, well, kinda prodding and shoving it into a circle- the back of the hand Neapolitan thing is for steelier-eyed missile men than me- and you maintain some more of the air and a thicker base that way compared with rolling. You just have to try not to poke holes in it.  I have decided that circularity is over-rated;)

About 3 or 4 minutes in the pan, then top, then 3 or 4 under the hot grill. Chorizo, olives, cheese, a bit of chopped capsicum...mmm....never varies, neither of us wants it to.

Thank you for the recipe.🙂

Have you tried spinning the base?

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell