December 2020 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

10 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you for the recipe.🙂

Have you tried spinning the base?

Allan

Yes but I got dizzy so I had to have some Scotch to settle my nerves;)

A tomato sauce first of course, not in the least genuine but hey. The usual ingredients but with some Turkish hot pepper sauce as well🤩

200g of dough (sour of course) makes a 10" (I'm bilingual) base and does us dinner and a lunch next day. Unless you are the most awful rhino may I suggest something smaller. If you remember your geometry 7" is half the size. 100g. Half a day to rise then knock down a bit (much less than the usual kneading) then an hour in the oven for the second rising at 40C (so you don't kill the yeast- I add a pinch extra to the sourdough and leave it in the warm water (100ml) for a bit before mixing).

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

These images where taken a bit earlier but uploaded on Dec 3rd and just passed QC.

Modern architecture block of flats

modern-architecture-block-of-flats-2DF92N6.jpg

Contrasting modern and ancient architecture

contrasting-modern-and-ancient-architecture-2DF91D8.jpg

Courthouse within Lincoln castle grounds

courthouse-within-lincoln-castle-grounds-october-2020-2DF91P4.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Olivier Parent said:

Olympic national park (USA). Pictures taken in 2014 but I never took the time to have a closer look at them, so I just forgot about these images.

Found them on a hard drive while erasing older folders. Happy I re-discovered these photos before spring cleaning… 🙂

All three of those might look pretty good in black and white as well, especially the last one.

I've recently decided to sod total commercial and take some photos that I like, in this case a bleak bricked up arch in Newcastle

Black and white image of the bricked up entrance to an old bonded warehouse in Hanover St, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK Stock Photo

However the work ethic remains

Bottles of Beck's Blue alcohol free beer. Stock Photo

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2

2DYW3PE.jpg

Marked several pet photos for deletion and found this while checking out the Dell and then found in on the iMac where it hadn't been key worded by cat name.  

2DYW3PA.jpg

The two machines.  Wallpaper on the iMac is also on Alamy -- metates at the Padre Ordorico Shrine's museum in San Rafael del Norte.

Edited by MizBrown
straightened things out
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

One from the bottom of the filing cabinet, taken in 2015 but not previously used. The 100 mph steam loco Tornado passing Plawsworth near Durham

2008-built-steam-locomotive-60163-tornado-passing-plawsworth-on-the-east-coast-mainline-in-2015-co-durham-england-uk-2DYPW5B.jpg

It is a pity the electricity pylons and wires are in the way of a good image everywhere these days.

I took one image of steam train a while ago that would have been a seller but for the modern electric gubbins. Had a go at removing them with no success.

Allan

16 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

It is a pity the electricity pylons and wires are in the way of a good image everywhere these days.

I took one image of steam train a while ago that would have been a seller but for the modern electric gubbins. Had a go at removing them with no success.

Allan

But they're power lines for the electric trains that use the same track. There were electric trains long before that steam loco was built and they're part of the history of the railways. I wouldn't even try to remove them.

BTW the house is called Strelitzia, and if you want to get technical I'd call it expressionist rather than modern. Though I'd still want it in the tags.

Edited by spacecadet

10 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

There are still some lines free of the catenary, Allan  e.g. the Settle and Carlisle, Newcastle to Carlisle, West Highland etc. Been promising myself another trip on the S&C for a while, convenient now that we have a son living in Leeds, but then lockdown got in the way. If you've not yet experienced the trip, the stretch of West Highland from Fort William to Mallaig is arguably the most scenic in Britain. The bit between Glasgow and Fort William is more of an acquired taste, running across the barren wastes of Rannoch Moor.

Looking to the future, the more lightly trafficked lines are unlikely to be electrified, my guess is that we will see hydrogen powered trains taking over from the diseasels.

Edited by Bryan

Seeing some of the arty stuff here encouraged me to upload some stuff thay probably won't sell but I like anyway. Not tagged so you only get the small ones.

Speculative still-life for OH's article in Nature on microplastics, not used, but I enjoyed the brief and somebody might like it.

Have I already put this up? Like anyone's supposed to remember what happened 3 weeks ago these days.

What day even is it anyway?

2E031J2.jpg2E031J4.jpg

The pumice is from Lake Taupo in NZ.

I couldn't decide between the warm and the really warm version- any thoughts?

There are probably enough of these about but hey. My lockdown escape on the Tube. Make a pretty good avatar this one.

2E031JB.jpg

My first non-archive sub for 3 months🙁

Edited by spacecadet

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

But they're power lines for the electric trains that use the same track. There were electric trains long before that steam loco was built and they're part of the history of the railways. I wouldn't even try to remove them.

BTW the house is called Strelitzia, and if you want to get technical I'd call it expressionist rather than modern. Though I'd still want it in the tags.

Thanks for the update but I did not want to use the house name in the tags. I have added expressionist though.

Searchers looking for Stelitzia are going to get loads of images of the plant it is named after.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

15 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for the update but I did not want to use the house name in the tags. I have added expressionist though.

Searchers looking for Stelitzia are going to get loads of images of the plant it is named after.

Allan

Searches for a phrase tag probably won't- if you google "strelitzia house" it's right at the top.

IME houses in distinctive architectural styles are searched for by name- the other images on Alamy use it so yours won't be found.

The name of the place is no secret- I found it in about ten clicks. People who live in such places don't expect to be anonymous- the chap who lives there, and built it, certainly doesn't.

Edited by spacecadet

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Searches for a phrase tag probably won't- if you google "strelitzia house" it's right at the top. The other images on Alamy use it so yours won't be found.

The name of the place is no secret- I found it in about ten clicks. People who live in such places don't expect to be anonymous- the chap who lives there, and built it, certainly doesn't.

IME houses in distinctive architectural styles are searched for by name.

Do you know the gentleman that owns the house?

Allan

2 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

this owl has probably been my saving grace this month.  as i have struggled with some anxiety issues, being able to go to the area it's been hanging around and find it almost everyday and observe its going has been a joy.

barred-owl-strix-varia-with-eyes-closed-sitting-on-a-wooden-bird-house-as-a-light-snow-flakes-starts-falling-on-it-2DKYB9W.jpg

Nothing like nature to make one feel better. It gives me great joy.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, gvallee said:

Nothing like nature to make one feel better. It gives me great joy.

same here, though bird wise my usual go to would have been of the non flying types....  still have not met a cassowary,,, reason enough to make it back to Australia one day...  

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

same here, though bird wise my usual go to would have been of the non flying types....  still have not met a cassowary,,, reason enough to make it back to Australia one day...  

If I go by your name, I guessed you've seen emus?? 😀 

Here are my cassowaries. Phenomenal birds.