The contributor experience whilst we're all tackling the Covid-19 pandemic

Thanks for the update James - I guess contributions to Alamy stock numbers from us will also be lower due to the restrictions on movement!

Best wishes and good health to all at Alamy

Cheers

Kumar

• Love 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sally said:

I noticed a 25% discount being given to customers during this period. I presume that means the gross sales and consequently our share will be lower than normal?

What?!  If that's true, it's scandalous.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sally said:

I noticed a 25% discount being given to customers during this period. I presume that means the gross sales and consequently our share will be lower than normal?

Who cares after all? Most of these photos will be refunded (like it happens regularly with newsletter/presentation use) or never paid by customers if covid-19 outbreak will last several more months. Congratulations to the new Alamy's owners for their clever policy and support to contributors! Very professional!

At the risk of being unpopular (and assuming there is a customer discount being offered - I haven't checked), I suspect purchasing photos for business uses will often be deferred by companies during the Covid 19 crisis as will many other discretionary purchases. Alamy will also see a 25% hit and presumably wouldn't have offered the discount unless they thought it necessary during the current temporary(?!) climate. It's a bit like the case with building owners refusing to drop the rent for businesses (shops), the shop goes bust and then they get 100% of nothing. There is an argument for whether customers would defer buying the photos they wanted now until after the crisis so they pay the full rate, but then there's lots of ways to argue this... At any rate, we can expect to see a potentially big decline in photo purchases for now.

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 3
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Sally said:

Where do you see this? Nothing immediately obvious on the UK site.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Don't worry about being unpopular, Steve. Everyone in the forum is unpopular with someone right now.

Yes, I saw. I'm staying well out of the flame wars!

I saw the Alamy discount on this blog:

Discounted Creative Assets and Tools for Designers During the Coronavirus.

It's also a list of what the competitors are offering.

Btw If I had to set a discount I would have chosen 50%.

Anyway the offer ends May 31. That seems overly optimistic to me.

wim

6 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

I saw the Alamy discount on this blog:

Discounted Creative Assets and Tools for Designers During the Coronavirus.

It's also a list of what the competitors are offering.

Btw If I had to set a discount I would have chosen 50%.

Anyway the offer ends May 31. That seems overly optimistic to me.

wim

Yup, that's where the Alamy Twitter post links to.

Just now, losdemas said:

Yup, that's where the Alamy Twitter post links to.

Ah. That's strange. Showing / directing to what the competition is offering.

All the more reason for offering 50% off I would say.

I used to see the twitter feed on the dashboard page, but this has stopped a long time ago. The empty space is still there and there's a link to

https://twitter.com/AlamyContent (which I never use).

Looking for Alamy discount on twitter brought up nothing recent.

wim

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Don't worry about being unpopular, Steve. Everyone in the forum is unpopular with someone right now.

You talking to me........

At least I did not start the 'Pandemic' thread.

Hope you are well EDO.

James,

Appreciate the post and all the best to everyone at Alamy.

Chuck

We're #InThisTogether - our entire planet - offering a price break when the world's economy is tanking seems like a reasonable move, 40% of something is better than 100% of nothing at this point. When I think of healthcare workers risking their lives, with over 100,000 cases already here in New York, not to mention those suffering and fighting this pandemic in the rest of my country and the rest of the world, I feel lucky to be alive. 

• Love 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Marianne said:

We're #InThisTogether - our entire planet - offering a price break when the world's economy is tanking seems like a reasonable move, 40% of something is better than 100% of nothing at this point. When I think of healthcare workers risking their lives, with over 100,000 cases already here in New York, not to mention those suffering and fighting this pandemic in the rest of my country and the rest of the world, I feel lucky to be alive. 

Some of us may remember the last recession. And that was one without any physical threat. Let's hope this one is over sooner. But let's do the math: this thing will be half way if they not only have found a cure or a vaccine, but have made it available to all of us at a reasonable cost. Half way because that's when the recovery will start.

Hmmm let's maybe not do the math. ☹️

😂

wim

• Love 2

On 04/04/2020 at 07:56, Chuck Nacke said:

You talking to me........

At least I did not start the 'Pandemic' thread.

Hope you are well EDO.

James,

Appreciate the post and all the best to everyone at Alamy.

Chuck

I'm so unpopular now that I don't even like myself. 😧

The update is much appreciated. Thanks, James, and stay vigilant.

• Like 2

• Alamy unpinned this topic