Betty LaRue

Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Posted (edited)

Having regained some freedom, yesterday we decided to go for a 'little' walk. We had spotted a trig point on top of a cliff at Mt Gillen, Alice Springs, and thought the track would wind up nicely around hills before taking up through a gap. Ha ha ha!! It nearly killed us. 4h 40mn in total. The last bit to reach the ridge was a rockface climb not for the fainthearted. The last thing we expected!! Not to mention climbing it back down. I was s**t scared. Unfortunately, I realised that I did not take any pictures of it, climbing a rockface with a DSLR dangling around my neck was not ideal, so I had packed it up in my day bag. Damn it, I suppose I have to go again... I'm sitting today with every muscle of my body hurting.

(These images are not on Alamy yet, they have been quickly processed, apologies for the quality or lack of).

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

96081402_10220090859335394_6599158121489

95623952_10220090860535424_1735723930741

95674465_10220090860855432_6125273660799

96347405_10220090861375445_1057988231850

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

95952026_10220090862015461_5861758442024

96145784_10220090862455472_4026232970405

95811052_10220090863215491_8360010862202

96032009_10220091027819606_4663167192949

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 5

Wow, this is beautiful country.

And is it nice and warm over there?

Starting to be a bit cold up north.

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

96081402_10220090859335394_6599158121489

95623952_10220090860535424_1735723930741

95674465_10220090860855432_6125273660799

96347405_10220090861375445_1057988231850

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

95952026_10220090862015461_5861758442024

96145784_10220090862455472_4026232970405

95811052_10220090863215491_8360010862202

96032009_10220091027819606_4663167192949

I'm only seeing this.

14 minutes ago, Regis said:

Wow, this is beautiful country.

And is it nice and warm over there?

Starting to be a bit cold up north.

Temperature dropped to mid-20C this week and will remain so in the next few weeks, except the next two days at 32C. Ideal for hiking.

35 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Temperature dropped to mid-20C this week and will remain so in the next few weeks, except the next two days at 32C. Ideal for hiking.

How, that is cold!

We are still a bit warmer up here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

Having regained some freedom, yesterday we decided to go for a 'little' walk. We had spotted a trig point on top of a cliff at Mt Gillen, Alice Springs, and thought the track would wind up nicely around hills before taking up through a gap. Ha ha ha!! It nearly killed us. 4h 40mn in total. The last bit to reach the ridge was a rockface climb not for the fainthearted. The last thing we expected!! Not to mention climbing it back down. I was s**t scared. Unfortunately, I realised that I did not take any pictures of it, climbing a rockface with a DSLR dangling around my neck was not ideal, so I had packed it up in my day bag. Damn it, I suppose I have to go again... I'm sitting today with every muscle of my body hurting.

Wow, well done on the climb Gen! You were brave to climb the rock face. I think I may have freaked out at that point 😮 It's nice to see the country around Alice Springs. Glad you are getting some good weather for hiking.

And here I was thinking you had such a nice way to travel -- bringing your home along with you everywhere. Sounded so easy. I have (at least temporarily) given up my international trips and was thinking how wonderful it is not to take international plane flights-- not to struggle with luggage and heavy equipment. My old body doesn't like any of that. Home is lovely though the confinement caused by the pandemic is hard. Fortunately, I have our small courtyard garden and I'm going to try buying some flowers to plant in a couple of weeks. Hope I don't get arrested for non-essential walking to the greenmarket.

Paulette

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NYCat said:

And here I was thinking you had such a nice way to travel -- bringing your home along with you everywhere. Sounded so easy. I have (at least temporarily) given up my international trips and was thinking how wonderful it is not to take international plane flights-- not to struggle with luggage and heavy equipment. My old body doesn't like any of that. Home is lovely though the confinement caused by the pandemic is hard. Fortunately, I have our small courtyard garden and I'm going to try buying some flowers to plant in a couple of weeks. Hope I don't get arrested for non-essential walking to the greenmarket.

Paulette

I'm glad it's coming into spring for you now Paulette. It will be nice to plant out some flowers. There's something hopeful about spring so I think it is good for all the people doing it tough in the northern hemisphere at the moment. You could always combine your flower buying trip with essential food buying, so hopefully it will all be fine going to the greenmarket. I think flowers are essential anyway!

The greenmarket has been open through all of this and apparently that includes the plants as well as food. Actually, the small plant stores near me are also open. They don't have the flowers that will grow in our very shady garden. The old-fashioned impatiens like shade and I can usually get them at the greenmarket. I will have a longish walk home with a flat of flowers on my little cart. The police presences around here have been friendly. Cops in Washington Square to look out for us. There was some mugging activity at one point and not surprising given how empty the streets have been. It seems spooky sometimes with people masked. I usually try to give a smile to the officers but hard to do when masked! 

Paulette

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NYCat said:

The greenmarket has been open through all of this and apparently that includes the plants as well as food. Actually, the small plant stores near me are also open. They don't have the flowers that will grow in our very shady garden. The old-fashioned impatiens like shade and I can usually get them at the greenmarket. I will have a longish walk home with a flat of flowers on my little cart. The police presences around here have been friendly. Cops in Washington Square to look out for us. There was some mugging activity at one point and not surprising given how empty the streets have been. It seems spooky sometimes with people masked. I usually try to give a smile to the officers but hard to do when masked! 

Paulette

Your smile is in your eyes.

Allan

Completed trimming the box hedges in the front garden. Then tidied up.

Allan

13 hours ago, gvallee said:

(These images are not on Alamy yet, they have been quickly processed, apologies for the quality or lack of).

Thanks for sharing your images, Gen. It's always nice to see other parts of the world. Scotland is as far as I get these days and your trek reminds me of last October when I set off in bright sunshine to climb Stac Pollaidh (pronounced Stack Polly) at a mere 2,008 feet. It has a shattered sandstone crest and about half way up a large black cloud appeared, the wind reached gale force, and the sleet was horizontal. No shelter and had to retreat. The weather can change so quickly here and I made the unforgivable mistake of setting off without waterproofs!! This is something to try again after lockdown! 

Jim.

• Like 1

Found my first hedgehog in the garden last night, today I built it a house.

• Like 2

Adore the photo-story, Gen!

Allan, you would not have enjoyed my 5 days of hard labor in my garden. That’s probably my last big project.

Paulette, happy planting!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Found my first hedgehog in the garden last night, today I built it a house.

Wow!

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

It's a very nice way to travel for sure, meeting different people in different places every day, but it's not always easy. For example, we've been hunkered down for over two months in a small rural town not designed for RVs. It's very hard to park in town, it has to be over two parking spaces, far away from the supermarket (and the bottle shop) and we have to carry all the groceries and bottles through the streets while being harangued by Aboriginals 'give us a bottle!'.

I don't like the look of future international flights. I read that one of the plans for airliners is to reverse the middle seat, facing the other way, while each seat will be surrounded by a glass partition, no more alcohol or hot meals served, only sandwiches to minimize contact, 4h at the airport before boarding, a whole string of checking and desinfecting procedures, and I don't want to think about carry on luggage allowance! Just when some airlines had reversed the 7kg max. I know these are only projects and brain storming exercises but the reality might not turn out very far out.

I do hope you manage to get hold of flowers to plant. They bring colours and joy to a dull day. 

Sending you some sunshine and warmth. 

Edited by gvallee

Posted (edited)

☀️

that was my sunshine emoticon to Paulette. I messed up a bit, didn't I?

Edited by gvallee

12 hours ago, Sally R said:

Wow, well done on the climb Gen! You were brave to climb the rock face. I think I may have freaked out at that point 😮 It's nice to see the country around Alice Springs. Glad you are getting some good weather for hiking.

Thank you Sally. I almost turned back at the rock face. I stared up vertically in disbelief for a few minutes before figuring out where to place my feet. The 360 degrees view on top is stupendous. We can see the West and East McDonnell Ranges, Pine Gap. We would like to cross over to WA in about one month's time but I don't believe that interstate borders will be re-opened by then. I read that it might be 6 months down the line. As always, we'll take it as it comes. We are very flexible with our plans. In fact, our plans are 'go where the wind pushes us'. It's certainly been a gale force wind!!

8 hours ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Thanks for sharing your images, Gen. It's always nice to see other parts of the world. Scotland is as far as I get these days and your trek reminds me of last October when I set off in bright sunshine to climb Stac Pollaidh (pronounced Stack Polly) at a mere 2,008 feet. It has a shattered sandstone crest and about half way up a large black cloud appeared, the wind reached gale force, and the sleet was horizontal. No shelter and had to retreat. The weather can change so quickly here and I made the unforgivable mistake of setting off without waterproofs!! This is something to try again after lockdown! 

Jim.

I'm glad to enjoyed the pictures Jim. Although I lived in the UK for 28 years, I've never been to Scotland. The weather there sounds like in Melbourne, all four seasons in one day they say. It must be hard to get a huge temperature drop intra-day. I remember someone saying that, as a young boy, he would go climbing in Scotland with his father. They would wait with anticipation for their waterproofs to freeze as it would protect them from the wind...  

11 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Yep nurseries are essential businesses here in NY. My hubby picked up potting soil, lyme and other garden items I ordered on his way to the grocery today. 

Walking through Manhattan with a flat of impatiens makes me think of the first time my roommate and I carried a Christmas tree from a lot up around 110th street or so to our first apartment on West End Avenue and 92nd. The next day a friend and her cousin each bought one, so we hiked down from there to Amsterdam and the 70's, four of us two trees in tow. 

Scary to think of deserted streets in daylight. Here a coyote has been walking our street in broad daylight. Seeing photos of the empty streets in NYC seems soo surreal. Saw an ad for a free course (by Adobe I think) on how to shoot drone video of empty streets for the commercial market. But can you really fly a drone in Manhattan safely without a lot of practice and a license. 

Best of luck with the flowers. Seeing things grow, new life, whether it's plants or cute ugly ducklings, is balm for the soul these days. 

@gvallee Gen, Amazing hike. I'd need an oasis halfway through, and a donkey for the rest of the trip. You rock! (pun intended)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

@gvallee Gen, Amazing hike. I'd need an oasis halfway through, and a donkey for the rest of the trip. You rock! (pun intended)

I'm not telling you how many times we sat down on the way up. And down. I was seriously wondering if we would be able to walk back. We bit more than we could chew.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had my usual walk down to the river today. Not so many people about. When I returned I decided to relax with a mug of milky coffee and watched a car restoration program on TV.🙃

Next job?

Allan

• Like 2

I prepared a new recipe today, involving pan-seared chicken. Then briefly sautéed garlic and red pepper flakes. Heavy cream and chicken broth added along with sun-dried tomatoes and Italian spices. Simmered a couple of minutes, then the chicken added back in and baked covered for 30 minutes. 
It was tasty, but not so much I’ll go to the trouble again. I only save recipes that the results knock my socks off. Otherwise I’d need a plastic tote for a recipe box and never find anything. I still love my Poppyseed chicken casserole I’ve made for years.

I have one of my homemade pie crusts thawing (I make extra crust when I bake pies and freeze them) and I think I’ll bake a custard pie.

It’s thundering and raining. I love it. My kind of perfect weather.
I’ll post pictures of me fat after eating a whole custard pie by myself. (Not)
Betty

Shot my first magazine assignment today in nearly 2 months.  It was of a gifted high school senior for a cover.  We shot outside, I used a 70-200mm lens so I could maintain a distance of 6 feet or more...also wore a mask.  All went well. It felt good to be working!

• Like 5