Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

4 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

6 lemon pips sown from a supermarket lemon have all germinated. Contacting Sainsbury for a fruit supply contract. 😁

Next time I'll fish them out of the gin and tonics.

For the first time since 22nd March last, I loaded up all my camera gear and went out on location. I picked North Norfolk which is one of my favourite spots and had a real productive morning before the weather changes later in the week. Best of all I discovered footpaths, which were new to me, over the Blakeney Esker glacial ridge - a relatively high point in our local 'flatlands'. Managed some interesting 'scapes and I live in hope that some of these will sell!!

Jim :)   

Been busy for two weeks around my new abode near Lincoln so, just for a change, went for a walk in the sunshine from the village down to the river Witham and Viking Way. Took a few photos with my Sony RX100 mk3, first photos I have taken for over four weeks now. Was out for about an hour and a half.

Back to work tomorrow.

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I wondered what that was.

It's a winding ridge of sands and gravels deposited by meltwater from a retreating glacier or ice sheet from the last ice age. It's just inland from Blakeney and runs about half a mile inland behind Cley and Salthouse. It reaches about 50 metres in height and very good for views, wildlife, and all that sort of thing. Wish I'd found it earlier!! Should be plenty of info on the Web if you want to search it out.

Jim. 

36 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

It's a winding ridge of sands and gravels deposited by meltwater from a retreating glacier or ice sheet from the last ice age. It's just inland from Blakeney and runs about half a mile inland behind Cley and Salthouse. It reaches about 50 metres in height and very good for views, wildlife, and all that sort of thing. Wish I'd found it earlier!! Should be plenty of info on the Web if you want to search it out.

Jim. 

yes, we were surprised (and a bit disappointed) to find it a bit hilly round there when cycling a few years ago.

Noel Coward was wrong about Norfolk. Not as flat as advertised!

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

yes, we were surprised (and a bit disappointed) to find it a bit hilly round there when cycling a few years ago.

Noel Coward was wrong about Norfolk. Not as flat as advertised!

You're right, it's not all flat! You may be pleased to know it's still quite popular for cycling. I was parked just off road on one of the highest sections attacking my flask of coffee and three or four groups of cyclists came past. They were all travelling uphill and you could hear the gasping before they reached me. I wish I could do it but my legs don't work that well these days!! 

10 hours ago, Broad Norfolk said:

You're right, it's not all flat! You may be pleased to know it's still quite popular for cycling. I was parked just off road on one of the highest sections attacking my flask of coffee and three or four groups of cyclists came past. They were all travelling uphill and you could hear the gasping before they reached me. I wish I could do it but my legs don't work that well these days!! 

This reminds me of a holiday spent staying at my aunt's house in Watton,  Norfolk as a child. I remember the sun shone endlessly and I did a lot of cycling with my cousin. We had access to two unsuitable bikes. I think that one was a Raleigh small wheel RSW thing and the other an early suspension bike, also with small wheels. They were heavy bikes and probably had 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gears. Neither was very good but the suspension bike was the worst, it seemed to consume your energy as you pedalled, so we took to swapping between the bikes as we rode. In those days the roads were empty and cycling relatively safe, so despite the awful hardware we had a great time.

You may have some minor bumps in Norfolk, but compared to Durham and Northumberland where I normally rode, it's as flat as a pancake. Two days ago  the wife and myself cycled UP to Annfield Plain along the track of the old railway to Consett, a line where they had to use two enormous steam locos (class 9F for the rail buffs) to propel the trains up the steady grades.

Mature woman cycling along the C2C path between Sunderland and Consett, England, UK - Stock Image

Edited by Bryan

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

This reminds me of a holiday spent staying at my aunt's house in Watton,  Norfolk as a child. I remember the sun shone endlessly and I did a lot of cycling with my cousin. We had access to two unsuitable bikes. I think that one was a Raleigh small wheel RSW thing and the other an early suspension bike, also with small wheels. They were heavy bikes and probably had 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gears. Neither was very good but the suspension bike was the worst, it seemed to consume your energy as you pedalled, so we took to swapping between the bikes as we rode. In those days the roads were empty and cycling relatively safe, so despite the awful hardware we had a great time.

You may have some minor bumps in Norfolk, but compared to Durham and Northumberland where I normally rode, it's as flat as a pancake. Two days ago  the wife and myself cycled UP to Annfield Plain along the track of the old railway to Consett, a line where they had to use two enormous steam locos (class 9F for the rail buffs) to propel the trains up the steady grades.

Mature woman cycling along the C2C path between Sunderland and Consett, England, UK - Stock Image

Well done to you and your wife for doing a bit of cycling! At this moment in time I am supposed to be in Wester Ross in the part of the UK I really like where I get my fix for hills, mountains, and lochs as opposed to salt marshes, windmills, and Broads. The current situation knocked that on the head with flights from Norwich being cancelled plus all the other travel restrictions so it's looks like that may be next year now! I do enjoy a bit of hill walking as long as it's not too steep.

Anyway, what about the 'good thing'? I looked out this morning and there were puddles on the back paving. This is the first rain in my part of the world for over a month. The brown lawn will rejoice although it take a bit to get back to normal state. I enjoy reading about the progress of your allotment so this could well be a bonus here for you too.   

46 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Well done to you and your wife for doing a bit of cycling! At this moment in time I am supposed to be in Wester Ross in the part of the UK I really like where I get my fix for hills, mountains, and lochs as opposed to salt marshes, windmills, and Broads. The current situation knocked that on the head with flights from Norwich being cancelled plus all the other travel restrictions so it's looks like that may be next year now! I do enjoy a bit of hill walking as long as it's not too steep.

Anyway, what about the 'good thing'? I looked out this morning and there were puddles on the back paving. This is the first rain in my part of the world for over a month. The brown lawn will rejoice although it take a bit to get back to normal state. I enjoy reading about the progress of your allotment so this could well be a bonus here for you too.   

Yes the rain is incredibly welcome, we had a heavy downpour yesterday with more predicted for today. It's hopefully just in time to save the spuds, but my garlic and most of my overwintering onions have gone to seed. 

We normally head off to mainland Europe for all of June, but clearly not this year. Cycling there is a whole lot more agreeable than in the UK, as the motorists are generally a lot more sympathetic and the provision of good quality off road routes a great deal better. Having said that we are spoilt in the NE with a web of ex colliery railways now converted to cycle paths and some of the local authorities are becoming switched on to cycle provision.

Edited by Bryan

21 hours ago, Bryan said:

Yes the rain is incredibly welcome, we had a heavy downpour yesterday with more predicted for today. It's hopefully just in time to save the spuds, but my garlic and most of my overwintering onions have gone to seed. 

Unfortunately the rain missed us down here, just a light drizzle. Our onions have collapsed!  But we did harvest our first potatoes and broad beans this week.

Edited by Thyrsis

I managed to get to the recycling centre/local tip. Been symied previously on a few occasions as couldn't join the queue as the end was beside the main road...... Bought a house just before lockdown and plenty to sort out.  Small victories.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Unfortunately the rain missed us down here, just a light drizzle. Our onions have collapsed!  But we did harvest our first potatoes and broad beans this week.

Well done re the beans, I guess a few hundred miles makes all the difference.  I was amazed to see Monty Don's broad beans on GW, they are twice the height of ours, despite ours overwintering.  Never fear, beans are appearing and will be ready soon. Harvested some spinach today, used with mushroom cream pasta.

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Well done re the beans, I guess a few hundred miles makes all the difference.  I was amazed to see Monty Don's broad beans on GW, they are twice the height of ours, despite ours overwintering.  Never fear, beans are appearing and will be ready soon. Harvested some spinach today, used with mushroom cream pasta.

We overwinter the broad beans to try to avoid blackfly. So far so good! But not going to be as good a crop as last year. 
I freeze bags of raw spinach so I can chuck a handful into sauces etc as necessary! 

Yesterday I received a payment from our energy supplier for our roof mounted solar panels, and the cumulative amount  meant that they had finally broken even on the installation cost, while, coincidentally,  this morning two overnight sales popped in, both of the panels being installed. 

Installing photo voltaic solar panels onto the roof of a domestic house within Washington, North East England, UK - Stock ImageMeasuring the output from roof mounted solar photo voltaic panels at the inverter. - Stock Image

• Love 5

The furniture I was expecting today in two separate vans. Wheeee!

Now to start unpacking and placing them in my new abode.

Allan

• Love 1

50 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

The furniture I was expecting today in two separate vans. Wheeee!

Now to start unpacking and placing them in my new abode.

Allan

Allan loves the smell of furniture in the morning. It smells like.......victory.

• Like 2

I’m so happy to hear everyone is able to get out and about a bit, now. That includes me. I physically went to the market a few days ago and scored hand sanitizer, the first I’ve seen since this began. I picked up some for my daughter and son-in-law, since she has come down ill for the second time. She got tested two days ago,  but it will be a few days to get the results.
I fear the expected “second wave” of infections will be much worse with all of the demonstrations happening.

Also I’m seeing a half dozen or more tomatoes just becoming visible on my plants. I only inspect them about 10 times a day. 😊 (or more) Growing things can become an obsession.

• Love 1

23 hours ago, GeoffK said:

I managed to get to the recycling centre/local tip. Been symied previously on a few occasions as couldn't join the queue as the end was beside the main road...... Bought a house just before lockdown and plenty to sort out.  Small victories.

You are lucky to have gotten the papers signed and all that when you did. I know it could be done after the lockdown, but I’m sure it would have been more painful. Buying/selling/moving is painful enough when it goes perfectly. It’s been over 2 years for me and it still lingers in my head!

Yesterday it rained cats and dogs and the streets were full of poodles and my gutters runneth over.

So today I got the ladders out and cleaned out the gutters. ANOTHER job ticked off and one step closer to restarting my photography again.

Allan

• Love 1

I could use some of that rain. It’s 36.11C here, or 97F. Sun shining, no clouds and just plain stinkin’ hot. I hate, hate hot weather. Instead of enjoying summer pastimes, I feel locked into the house. Who wants to stand over a hot grill or do a bit of gardening or do anything outside?

But my good thing is my daughter was tested and it is negative. She’s still sick, though. But she’s now on antibiotics.

Last count, I have 12 tiny tomatoes on my plants. Think I’ll go count them again. :D I’ll be eating them in about a month. I can almost live on home grown tomatoes.

• Love 2

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I could use some of that rain. It’s 36.11C here, or 97F. Sun shining, no clouds and just plain stinkin’ hot. I hate, hate hot weather. Instead of enjoying summer pastimes, I feel locked into the house. Who wants to stand over a hot grill or do a bit of gardening or do anything outside?

But my good thing is my daughter was tested and it is negative. She’s still sick, though. But she’s now on antibiotics.

Last count, I have 12 tiny tomatoes on my plants. Think I’ll go count them again. :D I’ll be eating them in about a month. I can almost live on home grown tomatoes.

You wouldn't have wanted the rain we had yesterday. The day started with a little shower, then was was sunny but cool. Later the sky became black and the heavens opened. Thunder, lightning, hail, sheet rain and lots of surface water as the drains couldn't cope. I stayed reasonable dry other than my jeans. When home I found the tomatoes survived, the potato plants were flattened, the roses had lost much of their petals and other flowers to lesser degrees. The ground did need the rain, but not all in one go.

Edited by sb photos

• Alamy locked this topic