Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Indeed. Here's one squatting a woodpecker's nest in a saguaro cactus. Arizona.

EJ6M67.jpg

That's a lovely shot. Photos of birds in cacti with clear blue skies look so much better than the ones I try to take with birds looking out of tree holes in the UK - they always seem to be in the shadows.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Good thing happened in my life today?

Well earlier in another thread I mentioned I had completed my tax return on line which took about 20 minutes to do.

Got a tax refund today and if I could get that amount for every 20 minutes work I do I would be a very rich person.😃

Allan

Wonderful. The past couple of years I’ve had to pay on one, get something back on the other. Usually cancels each other out. We (US) pay state and federal, so two returns to do at once.

• Thanks 1

My good thing for the day...the soreness is lessening from all my yard work. Now I can appreciate that I had a good muscle workout, lol.

Another thing, I couldn’t get something for a particular recipe I want to make, but my neighbor found it and delivered it to me. 
My sister told me I should adopt my neighbor. When I repeated that to her, she said she’d already adopted me! Such a sweet person.

A few businesses will start opening up here in Kansas soon. I’ll be continuing my behavior of staying in.

Betty

10 hours ago, VbFolly said:

That's a lovely shot. Photos of birds in cacti with clear blue skies look so much better than the ones I try to take with birds looking out of tree holes in the UK - they always seem to be in the shadows.

Thank you. Bird photography is definitely not easy. Luck plays an important part too. Here's one picture that I took in my garden in the UK. It took time to get it and I like it.

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

Thank you. Bird photography is definitely not easy. Luck plays an important part too. Here's one picture that I took in my garden in the UK. It took time to get it and I like it.

Great action shot.

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I took the car out for a spin essential maintenance of the household.

On our local news, yesterday, they were saying that you should take your car out at least once a week to keep the battery in good shape and also there have been a number of people finding animal nests (mostly squirrels) in the engine and even hoses that have been chewed through, like the fuel line.  So a spin could be essential!!

39 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

On our local news, yesterday, they were saying that you should take your car out at least once a week to keep the battery in good shape and also there have been a number of people finding animal nests (mostly squirrels) in the engine and even hoses that have been chewed through, like the fuel line.  So a spin could be essential!!

Well, we're allowed to drive to shop, so it needs to be good for that. Even though we don't;)

Yes, newer cars chew through a lot of power just sitting there. It had stood for 6 weeks. I usually charge it for a day every three weeks normally which is enough (a month isn't), but the recommendation for a new Aston Martin is five days.

Fortunately the squirrels can't get in the garage. I hope.🤪

Edited by spacecadet

17 minutes ago, Sally R said:

my car battery is now dead

Sorry if you already know all this stuff.

If it's on the premises, get yourself a battery charger- an inexpensive one will do, 4 or so amps- and charge it for a day every two or three weeks. If not a run of 20 minutes or so will do- you can even start up and run it in place if that's legal but for longer- maybe half an hour.

If you need to  charge it up now to get it started, that will take a couple of days. Or a day then a run.

Edited by spacecadet

I took a short walk of 6.7 km around part of the outer edge of my town. Left it a little late, too many dog walkers on the paths, but safely avoided all. Shot some stock on my travels, only took a D750 with 70-300 lens. Need to repeat the walk earlier tomorrow, as I needed to capture some premises with closed gates. My wife walked with me, and limped back as she twisted her ankle due to a fissure in the path.

4 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Many thanks Space Cadet. That's good to know!

You're welcome.

IME a car battery will only withstand being allowed to go completely flat a couple of times. After that its reliability is much less. If it's more than 4 or 5 years old, it's time for a replacement- maybe when this is over. I can put up with a lot from a car except not starting.

Edited by spacecadet

Yesterday I saw four Roseate spoonbills in our local nature park (these shorebirds birds are not normally in our area), AND, for the first time in six weeks, my daughter was able to purchase a packet of toilet paper on her grocery run. It was a good day.

57 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Oh no! I hope she's been able to put it up for a bit with some ice. Hopefully it is not a bad twist. I hope you get some good shots tomorrow.

Yes, she's recovering with a sports icepack wrapped around her ankle taking it easy in the garden drinking tea after finishing off some mushrooms on toast. I suspect she will be wary of walking tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Sally R said:

Thank you. I think the last new battery was about 4 years ago (will check), though I'm sure the lack of driving hasn't helped. We have just had some restrictions lifted here, though still cannot travel too far afield I think. Look forward to being able to get in the car and go on some photographically-based car journeys out of town when it is allowed and safe.

Depends how many weeks it was left, but presumably 3 or 4 so I'd expect mine to be flat. If it's the first time it's been flat it may well last a few years longer. As I said, if you're allowed to drive to shop, you must be allowed to drive to maintain your vehicle. So you can run it to charge it up or go buy a replacement.

Edited by spacecadet

A part of my snowball bush has been showing blooms for awhile, 3/4 of it looked dead. I planned to cut those parts to the ground, but my body couldn’t handle it yet after the other gardening I did. The supposedly dead majority is finally putting on leaves!

I’m so glad I didn’t cut it back.

The one thing that can’t be taken from us is nature, and watching things grow and bloom. Even people in apartment houses (or flats) can take walks, and hopefully find a bit of green somewhere. I just walked around my yard and observed how vigorously everything I planted is growing. I noticed birds in my rose of sharon shrubs eating the seeds out of the pods leftover from last year.

It is a beautiful, warm, sunny day.

I got to go visit favorite cat clients today. Their sweet owner paid me double. On the way I passed the Jefferson Market Garden and it is not open but the fence is easy to see through and there are vast numbers of tulips now. So beautiful. We are lucky to have it in the Big City.

Paulette

Oh, Paulette! I had to look up the Jefferson Market Garden and have marked it as somewhere I want to visit if I ever get back to NYC. My daughter has lived in the upper east side and in the seaport area, so I haven’t spent as much time over in your way. Maybe one day in the not too distant future...... something to look forward to...

i hope you’ll be able to enjoy it while the tulips are still in bloom. 

The Jefferson Market Library itself is wonderful to visit also. I take people there when I'm doing a "tour" of the neighborhood. When I first moved here the Women's House of Detention was on the garden spot. Horrible huge building and the whores (now known as sex workers) would shout out the windows to the pimps hanging around on the street. People tend to romantize it because Mae West once "stayed" there but it was creepy and a big eyesore. When they tore it down there was much community activity around what would replace it. The garden is glorious.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Like 1

A Zoom blind wine tasting with 5 of us. 3 households, 6 wines, 3 whites 3 reds, ideally distributed by bicycle but it was rainy .

A blind tasting means you don't know which wine you're tasting.  Afterwards it's more of a blind drunk tasting.🍷🍸

Next week cheese as well.🧀

DSC03748.jpg

These are not the wines btw, they're distributed in anonymous bottles so that no clues are given;) Just an indication of the abundance.

Mmm Welsh rarebit.

Edited by spacecadet

Walked down to the river this morning. Sauntered along the tow path to the Lock. Stood awhile taking taking in all the sounds and sights. Strolled back along the tow path. Ambled my way back home.

Tomorrow I intend to do something different. I am going to:

Trek down to the river. Stride along the tow path to the lock. Promenade around the Lock. Traipse back along the tow path. Perambulate my way home.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

I bought some Bounty Select-a-Size paper towels. They are my favorite and have been in short supply! I got them at DuaneReade... which is owned by Walgreens in case someone else has been looking for them.

Paulette

• Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic