Post a good thing that happened in your life today

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I passed a whole bunch of veggies on the shelves of Marks and Spencer's today.

We’re lucky enough to live within cycling distance (30mins each way) of a very good farm shop. 30 odd years ago it was just a pick your own but now it’s a biggish shop with fresh meat, fish, bread, cakes etc as well as good quality fresh fruit and veg. I can only unfortunately buy enough to fill the panniers on my bike!  Very good social distancing in place, disposable gloves and antibacterial hand wash provided. Makes shopping a pleasant experience!

2 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

We’re lucky enough to live within cycling distance (30mins each way) of a very good farm shop. 30 odd years ago it was just a pick your own but now it’s a biggish shop with fresh meat, fish, bread, cakes etc as well as good quality fresh fruit and veg. I can only unfortunately buy enough to fill the panniers on my bike!  Very good social distancing in place, disposable gloves and antibacterial hand wash provided. Makes shopping a pleasant experience!

So you get your exercise and food...2 for one. Good deal. 
I got my tomatoes planted, except for one.  I put them in containers.

It’s hot and humid out there so I quit before I ruined my fresh shower. I’ll wait for the sun to go down to finish.

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I passed a whole bunch of veggies on the shelves of Marks and Spencer's today.

So, Ed, did you buy some veggies and cook ‘em up? I’ve been so exhausted from the yard work, I had butter sandwiches two nights in a row. This evening, I picked up a burger and tater tots with a cherry limeade. Real healthy, huh? Lunch was a peanut butter sandwich. When your too tired to drag one foot after the other, bad things happen with diets.

Fresh veggies sounds wonderful about now. Maybe tomorrow....

This is actually from yesterday but a very nice memory this morning. I am positive now that we have a cardinal nest in the garden. I had seen the male on my fire escape railing but yesterday both the male and female showed up where I could see them well. Pretty impossible for photos but sometimes it is nice to just look. They are such beautiful birds. I think the birds are happy that there is so little coming and going in the garden these days. An example of nature taking over the city in our quiet times.

Paulette

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

So, Ed, did you buy some veggies and cook ‘em up? I’ve been so exhausted from the yard work, I had butter sandwiches two nights in a row. This evening, I picked up a burger and tater tots with a cherry limeade. Real healthy, huh? Lunch was a peanut butter sandwich. When your too tired to drag one foot after the other, bad things happen with diets.

Fresh veggies sounds wonderful about now. Maybe tomorrow....

When I can't bother to make a good dinner I sometimes have cold cereal with berries. Quite as delicious in the evening as the morning and healthy too.

Paulette

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

This is actually from yesterday but a very nice memory this morning. I am positive now that we have a cardinal nest in the garden. I had seen the male on my fire escape railing but yesterday both the male and female showed up where I could see them well. Pretty impossible for photos but sometimes it is nice to just look. They are such beautiful birds. I think the birds are happy that there is so little coming and going in the garden these days. An example of nature taking over the city in our quiet times.

Paulette

Cardinals mate for life. I have watched them court...yes the male still courts the female during breeding season. He will feed her. It is precious to watch. I wonder if he’s letting her know he’s still got the stuff to feed babies, and who knows, maybe feed her while she’s sitting on the eggs. Or else he’s ensuring her to not have a headache! 😂

I think they like to nest deep inside shrubs. I had a nesting pair once deep in my holly bush.

European Starlings will sometimes lay eggs in another bird’s nest. I once saw a male cardinal feeding a raucous, demanding starling fledgling, and the cardinal looked scruffy and worn out.

I know where the nest is and I emailed my super so he doesn't start trimming that tree. He likes the birds too.

Paulette

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

I know where the nest is and I emailed my super so he doesn't start trimming that tree. He likes the birds too.

Paulette

Good for you!! 😊

Good thing happened in my life today?

Well earlier in another thread I mentioned I had completed my tax return on line which took about 20 minutes to do.

Got a tax refund today and if I could get that amount for every 20 minutes work I do I would be a very rich person.😃

Allan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

European Starlings will sometimes lay eggs in another bird’s nest. 

Indeed. Here's one squatting a woodpecker's nest in a saguaro cactus. Arizona.

EJ6M67.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Indeed. Here's one squatting a woodpecker's nest in a saguaro cactus. Arizona.

EJ6M67.jpg

That's a lovely shot. Photos of birds in cacti with clear blue skies look so much better than the ones I try to take with birds looking out of tree holes in the UK - they always seem to be in the shadows.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Good thing happened in my life today?

Well earlier in another thread I mentioned I had completed my tax return on line which took about 20 minutes to do.

Got a tax refund today and if I could get that amount for every 20 minutes work I do I would be a very rich person.😃

Allan

Wonderful. The past couple of years I’ve had to pay on one, get something back on the other. Usually cancels each other out. We (US) pay state and federal, so two returns to do at once.

• Thanks 1

My good thing for the day...the soreness is lessening from all my yard work. Now I can appreciate that I had a good muscle workout, lol.

Another thing, I couldn’t get something for a particular recipe I want to make, but my neighbor found it and delivered it to me. 
My sister told me I should adopt my neighbor. When I repeated that to her, she said she’d already adopted me! Such a sweet person.

A few businesses will start opening up here in Kansas soon. I’ll be continuing my behavior of staying in.

Betty

10 hours ago, VbFolly said:

That's a lovely shot. Photos of birds in cacti with clear blue skies look so much better than the ones I try to take with birds looking out of tree holes in the UK - they always seem to be in the shadows.

Thank you. Bird photography is definitely not easy. Luck plays an important part too. Here's one picture that I took in my garden in the UK. It took time to get it and I like it.

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

Thank you. Bird photography is definitely not easy. Luck plays an important part too. Here's one picture that I took in my garden in the UK. It took time to get it and I like it.

Great action shot.

• Like 1

A friend stopped by on her way back from the vets with her 9 chocolate Labrador puppies.  I got zillions of kisses and lots of love.

jillandlab.jpg

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I took the car out for a spin essential maintenance of the household.

On our local news, yesterday, they were saying that you should take your car out at least once a week to keep the battery in good shape and also there have been a number of people finding animal nests (mostly squirrels) in the engine and even hoses that have been chewed through, like the fuel line.  So a spin could be essential!!

27 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

On our local news, yesterday, they were saying that you should take your car out at least once a week to keep the battery in good shape and also there have been a number of people finding animal nests (mostly squirrels) in the engine and even hoses that have been chewed through, like the fuel line.  So a spin could be essential!!

Very true! I recently discovered my car battery is now dead because it has been sitting neglected in the same spot for a few weeks. I must also check it for any possible animal inhabitants too. The upside is I've been walking a lot and reducing carbon emissions.

A nice thing on my walk this morning was discovering new things in my neighbourhood. We live about 15 minutes from a school with a bushwalking track behind it. As I went along I discovered 3 goats in a small paddock in part of the school that I'd never seen before. It is so nice meeting unexpected farm animals in suburbia!

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Well, we're allowed to drive to shop, so it needs to be good for that. Even though we don't;)

Yes, newer cars chew through a lot of power just sitting there. It had stood for 6 weeks. I usually charge it for a day every three weeks normally which is enough (a month isn't), but the recommendation for a new Aston Martin is five days.

Fortunately the squirrels can't get in the garage. I hope.🤪

Edited by spacecadet
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Sally R said:

my car battery is now dead

Sorry if you already know all this stuff.

If it's on the premises, get yourself a battery charger- an inexpensive one will do, 4 or so amps- and charge it for a day every two or three weeks. If not a run of 20 minutes or so will do- you can even start up and run it in place if that's legal but for longer- maybe half an hour.

If you need to  charge it up now to get it started, that will take a couple of days. Or a day then a run.

Edited by spacecadet

I took a short walk of 6.7 km around part of the outer edge of my town. Left it a little late, too many dog walkers on the paths, but safely avoided all. Shot some stock on my travels, only took a D750 with 70-300 lens. Need to repeat the walk earlier tomorrow, as I needed to capture some premises with closed gates. My wife walked with me, and limped back as she twisted her ankle due to a fissure in the path.