Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Need an Internet detox? Beat that.

'Careful with wild bulls, wild pigs, crocs, buffaloes and snakes. Everything here wants to kill you. You've been warned. Stay in 4x4 at all times, don't leave the tracks or you'll get bogged. We don't monitor the CB, so we will send a search party one day after your estimated return date. Have fun'. The Steve Irwin look-alike proud owner of Lorella Springs Wilderness Park, a million acre pristine remote wilderness sanctuary in Northern Territory, enthusiastically gives us the low down on his piece of paradise. 1,000km of tracks, hot springs, wetlands, canyons, waterfalls, swimming spots, rocky outcrops with Aboriginal art, fishing camps along a river, beach on the Arafura sea, the choice is ours. With no time limit, an off-the-grid vehicle, food and wine stashed for a month, we feel the world is our oyster and are as high as a kite.

We gingerly get going, passing the sign 'this way for adventure'. Hughie the Beast, our trusty off-road motorhome, is quickly given the chance to show what stuff he's made of: deep sand, steep creek crossings, washouts, corrugation and bumpy tracks are no challenge. A cupboard bursts open and spits out all its contents on the floor, including sticky maple syrup.

We choose to camp by the most enchanting billabong (lagoon) I have ever seen. Hundreds of water lilies dot its surface beyond the paperbark trees growing on its edge. Flocks of birds fly high in the sky in V formation. Bird songs drift from the tall trees around us. We are getting familiar with them and are able to identify a few species. Dozens of dragonflies of all sizes buzz around us.

Just before sundown, while having a cool glass of wine, cattle come to visit the lagoon, chewing on water lilies, belly deep in the water. The herd soon leaves their watery restaurant and heads towards us. A huge bull in superb condition stops and intently studies us. We get ready to make a dash inside our vehicle. The tense situation lasts a while until he loses interest and directs his ladies in the opposite direction. Phew!

I get up in the middle of the night and found myself enveloped in a thick fragrant mist over the billabong. Mysterious night sounds can be heard around me. A bright moon illuminates a ghostly landscape. It's magical. I am as deep in nature as I will ever be.

Next day, while zig-zaging between termite mounds and trees in the savannah, a low branch knocks off a solar panel. We limp back to base camp. So much for staying a million years, we survived two days.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, gvallee said:

Need an Internet detox? Beat that.

'Careful with wild bulls, wild pigs, crocs, buffaloes and snakes. Everything here wants to kill you. You've been warned. Stay in 4x4 at all times, don't leave the tracks or you'll get bogged. We don't monitor the CB, so we will send a search party one day after your estimated return date. Have fun'. The Steve Irwin look-alike proud owner of Lorella Springs Wilderness Park, a million acre pristine remote wilderness sanctuary in Northern Territory, enthusiastically gives us the low down on his piece of paradise. 1,000km of tracks, hot springs, wetlands, canyons, waterfalls, swimming spots, rocky outcrops with Aboriginal art, fishing camps along a river, beach on the Arafura sea, the choice is ours. With no time limit, an off-the-grid vehicle, food and wine stashed for a month, we feel the world is our oyster and are as high as a kite.

We gingerly get going, passing the sign 'this way for adventure'. Hughie the Beast, our trusty off-road motorhome, is quickly given the chance to show what stuff he's made of: deep sand, steep creek crossings, washouts, corrugation and bumpy tracks are no challenge. A cupboard bursts open and spits out all its contents on the floor, including sticky maple syrup.

We choose to camp by the most enchanting billabong (lagoon) I have ever seen. Hundreds of water lilies dot its surface beyond the paperbark trees growing on its edge. Flocks of birds fly high in the sky in V formation. Bird songs drift from the tall trees around us. We are getting familiar with them and are able to identify a few species. Dozens of dragonflies of all sizes buzz around us.

Just before sundown, while having a cool glass of wine, cattle come to visit the lagoon, chewing on water lilies, belly deep in the water. The herd soon leaves their watery restaurant and heads towards us. A huge bull in superb condition stops and intently studies us. We get ready to make a dash inside our vehicle. The tense situation lasts a while until he loses interest and directs his ladies in the opposite direction. Phew!

I get up in the middle of the night and found myself enveloped in a thick fragrant mist over the billabong. Mysterious night sounds can be heard around me. A bright moon illuminates a ghostly landscape. It's magical. I am as deep in nature as I will ever be.

Next day, while zig-zaging between termite mounds and trees in the savannah, a low branch knocks off a solar panel. We limp back to base camp. So much for staying a million years, we survived two days.

Sounds like absolute heaven, but also a great scene for a movie, a scary monster rising out of the lagoon in the mist.  Does this mean you have to leave to fix the solar panel? I’m so sorry!

• Love 1

The solar panel has been fixed in the workshop on location with a little dose of creative do-it-yourself to replace the lost clippings. Luckily, it had only jumped off its railings and is not damaged. So we're off into the wilderness again today. We are told to expect deep sand. Are we going to get bogged? Who knows. Given our luck.... Out of internet access for the forseeable future now. Take care all!!

• Love 2

15 hours ago, gvallee said:

The solar panel has been fixed in the workshop on location with a little dose of creative do-it-yourself to replace the lost clippings. Luckily, it had only jumped off its railings and is not damaged. So we're off into the wilderness again today. We are told to expect deep sand. Are we going to get bogged? Who knows. Given our luck.... Out of internet access for the forseeable future now. Take care all!!

Hope it all goes well!

Today it is raining yet again, been feast or famine these last several weeks, so attempted to replace the paper feed roller on our laser printer.

Fortunately there are some good videos on t'Net so was able to carry out this arduous task. You need three hands, a head torch and the patience of Job, but got there in the end.  Next time I might just try cleaning the roller.....     Meanwhile her indoors painted the dining room.

AND we had the first homegrown beetroot sandwich of the year!

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Hope it all goes well!

Today it is raining yet again, been feast or famine these last several weeks, so attempted to replace the paper feed roller on our laser printer.

Fortunately there are some good videos on t'Net so was able to carry out this arduous task. You need three hands, a head torch and the patience of Job, but got there in the end.  Next time I might just try cleaning the roller.....     Meanwhile her indoors painted the dining room.

AND we had the first homegrown beetroot sandwich of the year!

You make sandwiches with beets? That’s a new one on me. Must be tasty, though.

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You make sandwiches with beets? That’s a new one on me. Must be tasty, though.

One of life's great pleasures! Thick cut granary bread, butter and hot freshly cooked sliced beetroot - washed down with a mug of tea. We don't use salt, but that would boost the flavour I guess.  We never pickle beetroot  it's much nicer fresh. It's good with cheese too. There are lots of beet and cheese recipes.

• Love 2

15 hours ago, Bryan said:

One of life's great pleasures! Thick cut granary bread, butter and hot freshly cooked sliced beetroot - washed down with a mug of tea. We don't use salt, but that would boost the flavour I guess.  We never pickle beetroot  it's much nicer fresh. It's good with cheese too. There are lots of beet and cheese recipes.

I did search it on Alamy. And Googled it. Surprising, because as far as I know I’ve never heard of sandwiches made from them in my lifetime. 
A neighbor brought me a bunch of fresh beets last summer. I had only eaten pickled beats from a jar until then.  I can’t remember if I stir fried them, or if I roasted them, with improvised seasonings. I used the tops, too. They were delicious, whatever I did to them! 😁Hmmm, they look roasted...

W9G1EX.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Went for another nice ride on my bicycle (short only 20km at 25kmp) after I finished

a few more images of BLM protesters (without showing 

faces...)

Chuck

My son has recently began cycling. He’s been enjoying it. I think the last time he rode ended when he passed his driver’s license test at 16.

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I did search it on Alamy. And Googled it. Surprising, because as far as I know I’ve never heard of sandwiches made from them in my lifetime. 
A neighbor brought me a bunch of fresh beets last summer. I had only eaten pickled beats from a jar until then.  I can’t remember if I stir fried them, or if I roasted them, with improvised seasonings. I used the tops, too. They were delicious, whatever I did to them! 😁Hmmm, they look roasted...

Confess that I have not tried eating the beetroot tops, I did think about it when lifting the roots, but threw them onto the compost heap! What do they taste like?

We are currently growing perpetual spinach beet, I've never tried it before and it's not yet mature, but I guess it will be similar?

Good news yesterday. On Thursday my wife started coughing, and pretty continuously early evening, then it cleared before bedtime. Although she had no other COVID-19 symptoms and the coughing had cleared up, she had a test booked at the Serco run drive through testing centre at the Oxford Thornhill Park and Ride on Friday. That was far closer than the other option at Reading. She chose to have the swab sample taken rather than do it herself. Yesterday she had an email and text telling her she was all clear. We already had the spare bedroom setup in case either of us caught COVID-19, and had done a practise run of what we should do back at the end of March. I had never washed my hands so many times. Was extremely glad we had the good news.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 7

28 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Good news yesterday. On Thursday my wife started coughing, and pretty continuously early evening, then it cleared before bedtime. Although she had no other COVID-19 symptoms and the coughing had cleared up, she had a test booked at the Serco run drive through testing centre at the Oxford Thornhill Park and Ride on Friday. That was far closer than the other option at Reading. She chose to have the swab sample taken rather than do it herself. Yesterday she had an email and text telling her she was all clear. We already had the spare bedroom setup in case either of us caught COVID-19, and had done a practise run of what we should do back at the end of March. I had never washed my hands so many times. Was extremely glad we had the good news.

wonderful news!

I bought myself some flowers for the first time in a long time. The city is opening up very slowly and haltingly and I needed a bit of good cheer.

Paulette

• Like 2

On 14/06/2020 at 01:58, Bryan said:

Confess that I have not tried eating the beetroot tops, I did think about it when lifting the roots, but threw them onto the compost heap! What do they taste like?

We are currently growing perpetual spinach beet, I've never tried it before and it's not yet mature, but I guess it will be similar?

Bryan, I don’t remember what the greens were like other than I enjoyed the whole dish. I suspect I use a lot more seasonings than you seem to, so there would be no comparison.  But I think they’d be full of nutrients and healthy. 

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

I bought myself some flowers for the first time in a long time. The city is opening up very slowly and haltingly and I needed a bit of good cheer.

Paulette

Food for the soul rather than beets for the stomach! 😊

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Went for a walk around the edges of the village and took a few photos. About an hour in the sun.

Allan

Is it beginning to feel like home, yet, Allan? Have you met any neighbors?

• Alamy locked this topic