Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Feet and ankles started swelling. Doctor had blood sample taken. All normal.  (That is the good bit.)

Now arranging two ultrasound scans.

Allan

Your heart needs checking to rule out heart failure.

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Feet and ankles started swelling. Doctor had blood sample taken. All normal.  (That is the good bit.)

Allan

Good luck with that. Alan. Hopefully the swelling is just a result of being on your feet too much with your move to a new home. I absolutely wrecked both knees moving household items back into my renovated home last December. They’re just starting to get back to normal. 

As for people being in operating rooms and taking photos, I admire anyone who could do that, but it would be a very hard thing for me. At my daughter and son in-law’s request I sat in on the Caesarian birth of my oldest grandchild so I could accompany the baby to the nursery. It was all I could do to hold it together and show a brave face, but any attempts at photography would have been a total waste of time for me unless the camera had been firmly mounted in a tripod. I’m sure I was shaking like a leaf in the wind. 

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Don't forget a camera. Plenty of ultrasound scan images of Alamy, but most are of pregnancies.

wim

1 hour ago, Cecile Marion said:

Good luck with that. Alan. Hopefully the swelling is just a result of being on your feet too much with your move to a new home. I absolutely wrecked both knees moving household items back into my renovated home last December. They’re just starting to get back to normal. 

As for people being in operating rooms and taking photos, I admire anyone who could do that, but it would be a very hard thing for me. At my daughter and son in-law’s request I sat in on the Caesarian birth of my oldest grandchild so I could accompany the baby to the nursery. It was all I could do to hold it together and show a brave face, but any attempts at photography would have been a total waste of time for me unless the camera had been firmly mounted in a tripod. I’m sure I was shaking like a leaf in the wind. 

25 years ago tomorrow, I watched (and photographed) my daughter being delivered via a Caesarian birth.  I was okay with the surgical aspect of the situation but was a ball of emotions about seeing our child take her first breaths of life! Gets me choked up thinking about it.  Not sure who was crying more, my baby daughter or me!

• Love 2

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Your heart needs checking to rule out heart failure.

That is what one of the scans is for. The other is to see if there is something choking a blood vessel in my abdomen.

Thank you to everyone for your comments.

Allan

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

That is what one of the scans is for. The other is to see if there is something choking a blood vessel in my abdomen.

Allan

I hope it is all minor stuff.  Be well!

17 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I hope it is all minor stuff.  Be well!

Thank you Michael.

Allan

Allan

Think positive, always. Here’s hoping you just ate an over abundance of 🧂. Stay away from those 🍟 Allan, and 🥓. Allow me to eat it all! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

25 years ago tomorrow, I watched (and photographed) my daughter being delivered via a Caesarian birth.  I was okay with the surgical aspect of the situation but was a ball of emotions about seeing our child take her first breaths of life! Gets me choked up thinking about it.  Not sure who was crying more, my baby daughter or me!

Aw!!! A fabulous event! Happy birthday tomorrow to your heroic daughter. Twenty-five is a milestone birthday. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Sally R said:

P.S. Hi again Allan, I just thought of something else. My Mum recently had swollen ankles and feet and it turned out to be a new blood pressure medication she had been put on. She stopped taking that one and it went away. Your doctor would probably be onto that though if that was causing it, but just thought I'd mention it in case it is relevant.

Around 4 years ago I had a similar occurrence, other than I saw a doctor training at the surgery, and was sent for an ultrasound scan and no issues were found. Only then did I read the info sheet on possible side effects, and the swelling was listed. Contacting the surgery and my usual doctor resulted in the medication being swopped for another and all has been well since then. Hope all goes well for you Allan.

I've been checking our robin's nest every morning and I was worried that I wasn't seeing the mom sitting on the nest and sometimes she wasn't around. This morning I saw three little chicks!!!! Just big enough to stick up their open mouths. I took some pics but the light was difficult -- dark with some very bright sun spots. I'll go out earlier tomorrow and try some more. Such fun.

Paulette

• Love 2

On 20/06/2020 at 00:58, Sally R said:

Hi Allan,

Are you by any chance drinking liquorice root tea?

My feet and ankles started swelling 4 years ago. I had no idea what was causing it. The doctor asked me if I'd been drinking liquorice root tea. I said yes, I'd recently bought a herbal tea that had liquorice root in it. I'd only had about 3 cups over a couple of days. She said she knew a case of a woman who had heart failure after drinking it and immediately sent me for an ECG and chest x-ray. Fortunately my heart was fine. By stopping drinking the tea the swelling disappeared and never came back.

I don't know if eating the candy liquorice can also cause it, as I have eaten that and never had a problem, but perhaps it doesn't contain that much liquorice. I hadn't had tea with liquorice root in it before though, and its effect was dramatic. So I just thought I'd mention that in the remote possibility that it has anything to do with it. It does not effect everyone that way, just some people.

Take care and hope they solve it for you soon.

No. I used to eat liquorice sweets years ago but when I was found to have high blood pressure was warned off consuming liquorice.

On 20/06/2020 at 01:02, Sally R said:

P.S. Hi again Allan, I just thought of something else. My Mum recently had swollen ankles and feet and it turned out to be a new blood pressure medication she had been put on. She stopped taking that one and it went away. Your doctor would probably be onto that though if that was causing it, but just thought I'd mention it in case it is relevant.

The BP medication I am on I have been taking for about 10 years at least and it is the lowest dose and most innocuous.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Allan

On 20/06/2020 at 05:38, sb photos said:

Around 4 years ago I had a similar occurrence, other than I saw a doctor training at the surgery, and was sent for an ultrasound scan and no issues were found. Only then did I read the info sheet on possible side effects, and the swelling was listed. Contacting the surgery and my usual doctor resulted in the medication being swopped for another and all has been well since then. Hope all goes well for you Allan.

Thank you for your input. I will check to see if swelling is mentioned.

Just checked and it does mention oedema (localised swelling) but I have been taking this medication for many years without problems.

Maybe I will check back with my doctor to see if the swelling could be attributed to the medication AND length of time on it.

Allan

Thank you for your input. I will check to see if swelling is mentioned.

Just checked and it does mention oedema (localised swelling) but I have been taking this medication for many years without problems.

Maybe I will check back with my doctor to see if the swelling could be attributed to the medication AND length of time on it.

Allan

The medication I had issues with was  amlodipine 10mg, and the swelling started within weeks of taking it. Years later I now take the same, but only 5mg, and with no side effects.

A beer and cheese tasting yesterday- this time face-to-face as we're allowed in each others' gardens now. Highly satisfactory. An English lager (still convinced we can't make proper lager), two IPAs, a tangerine beer (!), a bitter and a double stout. And the nearest we're likely to get to German sausage this year.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

A beer and cheese tasting yesterday- this time face-to-face as we're allowed in each others' gardens now. Highly satisfactory. An English lager (still convinced we can't make proper lager), two IPAs, a tangerine beer (!), a bitter and a double stout. And the nearest we're likely to get to German sausage this year.

Likewise we enjoyed our first  BBQ with another couple since the lockdown began, but supping wine rather than ale (Riesling followed by Rioja). Our friends cooked some white fish in a lemon sauce which was delicious. Rain threatened but only arrived just as we were packing up, great to get back to some more normal activity.

Contemplating driving  some distance to our sons' houses as the lockdown is further eased in future. Mixed feelings, looking forward to seeing the family again, but I recall that driving on our crowded motorways is no fun at all - or will it be socially acceptable to use the train for frivolous purposes?

I attended church, it only opened today. No classrooms, no nursery, seat rows spaced very far. Families sat together but distant from other families.  Then off to a Chinese restaurant with only one other couple there, 30 feet distant. Waitress masked up. Used hand sanitizer often. I wore a new dress.

Felt nice.

Yesterday we went for a long walk by The Thames with daughter, son in law and the two grandsons. Then back to their house for take away fish and chips and wine in the garden. Best day in months!

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Paulette, dappled shade/sun is one of the hardest photographic conditions to contend with, don’t you agree? Maybe you can get bright overcast before they fledge.

Got some even light yesterday morning. First thing in the morning seems to be my best opportunity. The little things don't even have feathers now and barely peek up. I suppose I should take a ladder down to get a better angle but I'm afraid of freaking out mamma and scaring her away. I shall do what I can without harming them.

Paulette

Went for a walk through Hawthorn Dene and along the beach near Seaham in Co. Durham. Saw wild orchids growing alongside the path and then spotted an excellent  stone and driftwood artwork on the beach related to the coronavirus. It included a sailing ship named Hope, rain clouds, and a NHS reference. Photo to follow.....

coronavirus-related-stone-and-driftwood-sculptures-on-hawthorn-hive-beach-near-seaham-co-durham-england-uk-2C3XKRD.jpg

Edited by Bryan

22 hours ago, NYCat said:

Got some even light yesterday morning. First thing in the morning seems to be my best opportunity. The little things don't even have feathers now and barely peek up. I suppose I should take a ladder down to get a better angle but I'm afraid of freaking out mamma and scaring her away. I shall do what I can without harming them.

Paulette

Paulette, I do not think you want to be up a ladder if mum or dad decided to dive bomb you! 

2 hours ago, george said:

Paulette, I do not think you want to be up a ladder if mum or dad decided to dive bomb you! 

Oh my. I hadn't even thought of that. They do keep an eye on me.

Paulette

• Alamy locked this topic