Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Good to hear your daughter doesn't have the lurgy Betty !

You can have some of our rain. Last week I was praying for a downpour, but it can stop now please. Managed to fill our half empty garden pond from our overflowing water butts - good, if eccentric, excercise carrying buckets in the pouring rain.

At the allotment the potatoes are looking much happier and a single, but beautiful,  dahlia flower has opened up. Cropped some broad beans. Courgettes and squashes not enjoying chill, but surviving - I hope. Couple of small greenhouse cucumbers to be seen and lots of tiny tomatoes.

Image may contain: plant, flower, outdoor and nature
Edited by Bryan

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Who wants to stand over a hot grill

Why hot meals in hot weather?  I thought you would be on salads.🙂

Allan

A good thing that happened today... Almost. It will happen tomorrow. I'm anticipating because I will be out of reach for some time. At last, the access ban to biosecurity regions has been lifted in the Northern Territory of Australia. We can now travel to an idyllic one million acre wilderness private property where I'm hoping to stay a million years! A gem in the Australian Outback with hot springs, rivers, coastline, zillion wildlife, fishing. Four wheel drive access only, 3 hours on corrugated dirt roads to get there. Then inside the wilderness reserve, rivers to cross with lots of crocs, so doing a reccie is not a good idea. 33C forecast tomorrow. Betty, who wants to be outside? Me me me!! Camping in the wilderness with a campfire and cooking in a camp oven. What more could life has to offer? For me anyway. Bliss. I'm pinching myself for being so lucky.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

A Zoom gin tasting yesterday. Due to be in the garden, in the arena of distanced chairs, until we saw the forecast. It poured down on cue. I've just unbunged some gutters. And did I take any pictures of the tasting? Did I flip.

Excitingly, we went inside a friend's house to get to the garden. First time I've been in a private house, even for 15 seconds, anywhere outside the house for 11 weeks.

Edited by spacecadet

On 03/06/2020 at 17:17, Broad Norfolk said:

It's a winding ridge of sands and gravels deposited by meltwater from a retreating glacier or ice sheet from the last ice age. It's just inland from Blakeney and runs about half a mile inland behind Cley and Salthouse. It reaches about 50 metres in height and very good for views, wildlife, and all that sort of thing. Wish I'd found it earlier!! Should be plenty of info on the Web if you want to search it out.

Jim. 

About 55 years ago, as part of a school trip to Cley marshes, I camped out on Salthouse Heath. It was a steep climb from the coastal plain... well, steep for Norfolk. It's a grand spot, though I recall that we were all kept awake by nightingales singing.

That, alas, was the last time I heard a nightingale until, five years ago, I decided it was time to hear one again. My first call was at Salthouse Heath... but no luck. Then I visited a nature reserve in Essex with the mellifluous name of Fingringhoe Wick. There must have been two dozen male nightingales singing. Wonderful!!

Ordered a new sofa and dining table and chairs. That will be more furniture to be delivered by early July or sooner possibly.

Allan

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

About 55 years ago, as part of a school trip to Cley marshes, I camped out on Salthouse Heath. It was a steep climb from the coastal plain... well, steep for Norfolk. It's a grand spot, though I recall that we were all kept awake by nightingales singing.

That, alas, was the last time I heard a nightingale until, five years ago, I decided it was time to hear one again. My first call was at Salthouse Heath... but no luck. Then I visited a nature reserve in Essex with the mellifluous name of Fingringhoe Wick. There must have been two dozen male nightingales singing. Wonderful!!

Although you were kept awake, that must have been a great sound to hear all the Nightingales. It's not so good now and it's reported that only about four males occupy the territory on Salthouse Heath. I missed any possible song because it was the wrong time of day but the area is not short of many Skylarks. I have heard that Fingringhoe Wick is one of the beast places to hear Nightingales in the UK.

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

A good thing that happened today... Almost. It will happen tomorrow. I'm anticipating because I will be out of reach for some time. At last, the access ban to biosecurity regions has been lifted in the Northern Territory of Australia. We can now travel to an idyllic one million acre wilderness private property where I'm hoping to stay a million years! A gem in the Australian Outback with hot springs, rivers, coastline, zillion wildlife, fishing. Four wheel drive access only, 3 hours on corrugated dirt roads to get there. Then inside the wilderness reserve, rivers to cross with lots of crocs, so doing a reccie is not a good idea. 33C forecast tomorrow. Betty, who wants to be outside? Me me me!! Camping in the wilderness with a campfire and cooking in a camp oven. What more could life has to offer? For me anyway. Bliss. I'm pinching myself for being so lucky.

First off, I don’t just love rain, I love storms. As a child, I sat on the floor of our deep covered porch and reveled in the pounding rain, lightning and thunder. Having spray blown in on my face while snuggling in a blanket was joy.

Gen, yes, I’m an outdoor person. But I don’t get on with excessive heat. It affects me physically, heart pounding and skipping, face turning deep red, and feeling faint. Have done so since a child. So I don’t have a choice.

Autumn is my season, #1, spring #2.

Gen, I envy you where you are going. It’s sounds like some kind of heaven. You are in Australian autumn, aren’t you?

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Ordered a new sofa and dining table and chairs. That will be more furniture to be delivered by early July or sooner possibly.

Allan

You’re going to be sooo posh!

6 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a nightingale. Sound like something I’d love to hear.

7 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a nightingale. Sound like something I’d love to hear.

You can hear a nightingale here.

They sing from thick undergrowth; you can be six feet away, but still not be able to see it!

12 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

You can hear a nightingale here.

They sing from thick undergrowth; you can be six feet away, but still not be able to see it!

Love the song. We don’t have them. 😒

We have whippoorwills, but the song isn’t so pretty.

34 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Love the song. We don’t have them. 😒

Just think what our mockingbirds could do with that tune. They are like jazz musicians playing variations.

Paulette

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

First off, I don’t just love rain, I love storms. As a child, I sat on the floor of our deep covered porch and reveled in the pounding rain, lightning and thunder. Having spray blown in on my face while snuggling in a blanket was joy.

Gen, yes, I’m an outdoor person. But I don’t get on with excessive heat. It affects me physically, heart pounding and skipping, face turning deep red, and feeling faint. Have done so since a child. So I don’t have a choice.

Autumn is my season, #1, spring #2.

Gen, I envy you where you are going. It’s sounds like some kind of heaven. You are in Australian autumn, aren’t you?

Oh, Betty, it's not good feeling that uncomfortable in the heat, better stay with the aircon.

Storms can be truly spectacular, we have many throughout the Wet season in Cairns. A photographer's delight with fhe lightning.

We don't really have four seasons in Australia. Spring and autumn are very  faint and short. It's more a case of summer/winter in the south and dry/wet in the north. Where I am at the moment is post Wet. Except that for the second year in a row, they had a 'dry Wet'. We went to a well known wetland and the water level was very low with water lilies brown and dead looking. Fewer birds than usual. Still managed to see a croc. 

I'm off to pristine wilderness straight after breakfast. Excited!! 

Stay safe and cool.

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Just think what our mockingbirds could do with that tune. They are like jazz musicians playing variations.

Paulette

I agree! Love our mockingbirds. Talk about talented. When they start singing, they sing their little hearts out for a long time.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjxn4eb4vDpAhVGR60KHVoXCLsQtwIwC3oECAoQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSqOwqWT0Xf0&usg=AOvVaw3df1CiyXgWwssMB7edV8zy

Edited by Betty LaRue

4 hours ago, MizBrown said:

One of my street vendors had parsley today, mix of typical and Italian flat leafed.  I made chicken stew with parsley and pasta, flavored with turmeric and black pepper.

YUM YUM.

Allan

My new bedroom furniture will be arriving within the next two hours but not the bed. Just wardrobes, drawers and bedside cabinet/table.

They are flat pack so will have to start building and placing myself. Hopefully I will be able to manage the two large wardrobes on my own.

Allan

• Like 1

Most of you probably know that my daughter is a hospital nurse working with Covid patients. Back in early April, I wrote the publisher of one of the city magazines I have had a good long working relationship with.  I told him my daughter's story of going to a local school for a nursing degree and then getting her dream job at the best hospital in the area (which happens to be where I was born) and starts working in their Progressive Care Unit, in 2019.  When the pandemic hit our area, her unit was converted into a Covid ICU and she was thrust into the "frontline" with relatively little experience in the nursing world.  It also threw her home life sort of upside down since living with me would be tough with her constant exposure to the coronavirus.  So she has been living where she can and has been in a hotel since early May.   Well I just heard that the magazine wants to include her in a cover story on "healthcare heroes" of the area they cover.  A writer has been assigned to interview her and I just spoke to the art director and she wants me to shoot the story...there will be six medical professionals in all to photograph and possibly the cover as well!!  So happy I wrote to the publisher!!  I now have some work to look forward to and my daughter is nervous about the attention but willing to be part of the story.  She is concerned that there are plenty of veteran doctors and nurses who deserve much more credit but I told her that her story of being fresh out of nursing school with no idea of seeing and dealing with death daily while also keeping people alive as well, is what makes her story interesting.  She told me yesterday that this job has been much more stressful than she ever imagined.  Fortunately, new Covid cases are decreasing by the day here!

• Love 5

Michael, what wonderful news and how great that your daughter - who sounds lovely, intelligent, and dedicated to her job - should be one of those featured. Fantastic that you will also be the photographer for the story! You must be walking on cloud nine! It’s so nice to have something positive to celebrate during these unusual times. Congratulations!

• Love 1

Thank you Cecile and Paulette,  I was thinking how I might be a bit emotional while doing the shoot with her.  I have until the end of the month to get these portraits done and not sure how I will do them, as they still don't let non-staff or non-patients in the hospitals.  I am sure the magazine will give me some direction...they will be in contact with the hospital PR people.

You’ll just have to steel yourself for her shoot, go into professional mode, and then fall apart later. 😀

It’s probably helpful that you have such a tight deadline. Will keep your mind more focused on the job. 

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic