Betty LaRue

Post a good thing that happened in your life today

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

If it's on the premises, get yourself a battery charger- an inexpensive one will do, 4 or so amps- and charge it for a day every two or three weeks. If not a run of 20 minutes or so will do- you can even start up and run it in place if that's legal but for longer- maybe half an hour.

Many thanks Space Cadet. That's good to know!

4 minutes ago, sb photos said:

My wife walked with me, and limped back as she twisted her ankle due to a fissure in the path.

Oh no! I hope she's been able to put it up for a bit with some ice. Hopefully it is not a bad twist. I hope you get some good shots tomorrow.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Many thanks Space Cadet. That's good to know!

You're welcome.

IME a car battery will only withstand being allowed to go completely flat a couple of times. After that its reliability is much less. If it's more than 4 or 5 years old, it's time for a replacement- maybe when this is over. I can put up with a lot from a car except not starting.

Edited by spacecadet

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You're welcome.

IME a car battery will only withstand being allowed to go completely flat a couple of times. After that its reliability is much less. If it's more than 4 or 5 years old, it's time for a replacement- maybe when this is over. I can put up with a lot from a car except not starting.

Thank you. I think the last new battery was about 4 years ago (will check), though I'm sure the lack of driving hasn't helped. We have just had some restrictions lifted here, though still cannot travel too far afield I think. Look forward to being able to get in the car and go on some photographically-based car journeys out of town when it is allowed and safe.

Yesterday I saw four Roseate spoonbills in our local nature park (these shorebirds birds are not normally in our area), AND, for the first time in six weeks, my daughter was able to purchase a packet of toilet paper on her grocery run. It was a good day.

57 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Oh no! I hope she's been able to put it up for a bit with some ice. Hopefully it is not a bad twist. I hope you get some good shots tomorrow.

Yes, she's recovering with a sports icepack wrapped around her ankle taking it easy in the garden drinking tea after finishing off some mushrooms on toast. I suspect she will be wary of walking tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I ate 2 croissants this morning - yum!

Steady!

Allan

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sally R said:

Thank you. I think the last new battery was about 4 years ago (will check), though I'm sure the lack of driving hasn't helped. We have just had some restrictions lifted here, though still cannot travel too far afield I think. Look forward to being able to get in the car and go on some photographically-based car journeys out of town when it is allowed and safe.

Depends how many weeks it was left, but presumably 3 or 4 so I'd expect mine to be flat. If it's the first time it's been flat it may well last a few years longer. As I said, if you're allowed to drive to shop, you must be allowed to drive to maintain your vehicle. So you can run it to charge it up or go buy a replacement.

Edited by spacecadet

A part of my snowball bush has been showing blooms for awhile, 3/4 of it looked dead. I planned to cut those parts to the ground, but my body couldn’t handle it yet after the other gardening I did. The supposedly dead majority is finally putting on leaves!

I’m so glad I didn’t cut it back.

The one thing that can’t be taken from us is nature, and watching things grow and bloom. Even people in apartment houses (or flats) can take walks, and hopefully find a bit of green somewhere. I just walked around my yard and observed how vigorously everything I planted is growing. I noticed birds in my rose of sharon shrubs eating the seeds out of the pods leftover from last year.

It is a beautiful, warm, sunny day.

I got to go visit favorite cat clients today. Their sweet owner paid me double. On the way I passed the Jefferson Market Garden and it is not open but the fence is easy to see through and there are vast numbers of tulips now. So beautiful. We are lucky to have it in the Big City.

Paulette

Oh, Paulette! I had to look up the Jefferson Market Garden and have marked it as somewhere I want to visit if I ever get back to NYC. My daughter has lived in the upper east side and in the seaport area, so I haven’t spent as much time over in your way. Maybe one day in the not too distant future...... something to look forward to...

i hope you’ll be able to enjoy it while the tulips are still in bloom. 

Posted (edited)

The Jefferson Market Library itself is wonderful to visit also. I take people there when I'm doing a "tour" of the neighborhood. When I first moved here the Women's House of Detention was on the garden spot. Horrible huge building and the whores (now known as sex workers) would shout out the windows to the pimps hanging around on the street. People tend to romantize it because Mae West once "stayed" there but it was creepy and a big eyesore. When they tore it down there was much community activity around what would replace it. The garden is glorious.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

A Zoom blind wine tasting with 5 of us. 3 households, 6 wines, 3 whites 3 reds, ideally distributed by bicycle but it was rainy .

A blind tasting means you don't know which wine you're tasting.  Afterwards it's more of a blind drunk tasting.🍷🍸

Next week cheese as well.🧀

DSC03748.jpg

These are not the wines btw, they're distributed in anonymous bottles so that no clues are given;) Just an indication of the abundance.

Mmm Welsh rarebit.

Edited by spacecadet

Posted (edited)

Walked down to the river this morning. Sauntered along the tow path to the Lock. Stood awhile taking taking in all the sounds and sights. Strolled back along the tow path. Ambled my way back home.

Tomorrow I intend to do something different. I am going to:

Trek down to the river. Stride along the tow path to the lock. Promenade around the Lock. Traipse back along the tow path. Perambulate my way home.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I bought some Bounty Select-a-Size paper towels. They are my favorite and have been in short supply! I got them at DuaneReade... which is owned by Walgreens in case someone else has been looking for them.

Paulette

• Upvote 1

Good for you, Paulette. I scored paper towels for the first time last week, too.  My neighbor got me a package of 6 rolls! I use them to blot brushes and clean my watercolor palette, along with regular uses. so I was getting quite anxious.  Same thing with paper dinner napkins. I got one package of those.

On my 6th trip this morning to stare at my new plants, I think I discerned a millimeter of growth. There would have been 2 millimeters if the sun had been out instead of having drizzle.

I need to go check them again. 😉

On 03/05/2020 at 09:03, Allan Bell said:

Walked down to the river this morning. Sauntered along the tow path to the Lock. Stood awhile taking taking in all the sounds and sights. Strolled back along the tow path. Ambled my way back home.

Tomorrow I intend to do something different. I am going to:

Trek down to the river. Stride along the tow path to the lock. Promenade around the Lock. Traipse back along the tow path. Perambulate my way home.

Allan

Hope you don’t get a hitch in your getalong. (Translation: pain in your walking apparatus)

On 03/05/2020 at 17:40, NYCat said:

I bought some Bounty Select-a-Size paper towels. They are my favorite and have been in short supply! I got them at DuaneReade... which is owned by Walgreens in case someone else has been looking for them.

Paulette

Hi Paulette, Bounty is my favourite too, but over this side of the pond a Bounty is coconut filled chocolate bar. Yum Yum.

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Hope you don’t get a hitch in your getalong. (Translation: pain in your walking apparatus)

Hi Betty, No I do that walk regularly and am used to it so no hitches in my getalong.  (Note : Had to tell my computer to learn "getalong".  - Strange as it is a Apple Mac. You think it would know that word/spelling).

Allan

Three Swifts seen overhead from the garden this morning. A little bit earlier than usual here and they may regret it with a cold plunge coming over the weekend. It does remind you that maybe summer is just round the corner!

.......just finished my last Yorkie bar from Easter! I wouldn't say that was a good thing but on the other hand the waistline may rejoice.

Jim :)

21 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Three Swifts seen overhead from the garden this morning.

The good folk of Aldebugh in Suffolk seem to think they 'own' the swifts. Maybe these are the three swifts you saw!

For poet Ted Hughes, the return of the swifts each May proved that "the globe's still working"...

Sign - welcome back to the swifts - in Aldeburgh,Suffolk, England UK Stock Photo

Yeah, got flour and baked a huge ginger and pear cake. Will have to cut up and freeze at least half of it so it’s out of temptations way!

On 02/05/2020 at 19:49, spacecadet said:

A Zoom blind wine tasting with 5 of us. 3 households, 6 wines, 3 whites 3 reds, ideally distributed by bicycle but it was rainy .

A blind tasting means you don't know which wine you're tasting.  Afterwards it's more of a blind drunk tasting.🍷🍸

Next week cheese as well.🧀

These are not the wines btw, they're distributed in anonymous bottles so that no clues are given;) Just an indication of the abundance.

Mmm Welsh rarebit.

Now that’s my sort of Zoom meeting!

5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

The good folk of Aldebugh in Suffolk seem to think they 'own' the swifts. Maybe these are the three swifts you saw!

Sign - welcome back to the swifts - in Aldeburgh,Suffolk, England UK Stock Photo

Good one, John. Love the Banner! It never crossed my mind to put out some bunting!!

6 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Good one, John. Love the Banner! It never crossed my mind to put out some bunting!!

And I'm not even sure that swifts can read English!

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Now that’s my sort of Zoom meeting!

We're having another at 6 tonight. Only 4 wines though.

Having a go at some still-life today after rigging up an overhead boom out of Colorama stands and a bench vice.

First up? Beermats. How novel for me.