Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Good for you, Paulette. I scored paper towels for the first time last week, too.  My neighbor got me a package of 6 rolls! I use them to blot brushes and clean my watercolor palette, along with regular uses. so I was getting quite anxious.  Same thing with paper dinner napkins. I got one package of those.

On my 6th trip this morning to stare at my new plants, I think I discerned a millimeter of growth. There would have been 2 millimeters if the sun had been out instead of having drizzle.

I need to go check them again. 😉

On 03/05/2020 at 09:03, Allan Bell said:

Walked down to the river this morning. Sauntered along the tow path to the Lock. Stood awhile taking taking in all the sounds and sights. Strolled back along the tow path. Ambled my way back home.

Tomorrow I intend to do something different. I am going to:

Trek down to the river. Stride along the tow path to the lock. Promenade around the Lock. Traipse back along the tow path. Perambulate my way home.

Allan

Hope you don’t get a hitch in your getalong. (Translation: pain in your walking apparatus)

On 03/05/2020 at 17:40, NYCat said:

I bought some Bounty Select-a-Size paper towels. They are my favorite and have been in short supply! I got them at DuaneReade... which is owned by Walgreens in case someone else has been looking for them.

Paulette

Hi Paulette, Bounty is my favourite too, but over this side of the pond a Bounty is coconut filled chocolate bar. Yum Yum.

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Hope you don’t get a hitch in your getalong. (Translation: pain in your walking apparatus)

Hi Betty, No I do that walk regularly and am used to it so no hitches in my getalong.  (Note : Had to tell my computer to learn "getalong".  - Strange as it is a Apple Mac. You think it would know that word/spelling).

Allan

Three Swifts seen overhead from the garden this morning. A little bit earlier than usual here and they may regret it with a cold plunge coming over the weekend. It does remind you that maybe summer is just round the corner!

.......just finished my last Yorkie bar from Easter! I wouldn't say that was a good thing but on the other hand the waistline may rejoice.

Jim :)

21 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Three Swifts seen overhead from the garden this morning.

The good folk of Aldebugh in Suffolk seem to think they 'own' the swifts. Maybe these are the three swifts you saw!

For poet Ted Hughes, the return of the swifts each May proved that "the globe's still working"...

Sign - welcome back to the swifts - in Aldeburgh,Suffolk, England UK Stock Photo

On 02/05/2020 at 19:49, spacecadet said:

A Zoom blind wine tasting with 5 of us. 3 households, 6 wines, 3 whites 3 reds, ideally distributed by bicycle but it was rainy .

A blind tasting means you don't know which wine you're tasting.  Afterwards it's more of a blind drunk tasting.🍷🍸

Next week cheese as well.🧀

These are not the wines btw, they're distributed in anonymous bottles so that no clues are given;) Just an indication of the abundance.

Mmm Welsh rarebit.

Now that’s my sort of Zoom meeting!

5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

The good folk of Aldebugh in Suffolk seem to think they 'own' the swifts. Maybe these are the three swifts you saw!

Sign - welcome back to the swifts - in Aldeburgh,Suffolk, England UK Stock Photo

Good one, John. Love the Banner! It never crossed my mind to put out some bunting!!

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Now that’s my sort of Zoom meeting!

We're having another at 6 tonight. Only 4 wines though.

Having a go at some still-life today after rigging up an overhead boom out of Colorama stands and a bench vice.

First up? Beermats. How novel for me.

Having regained some freedom, yesterday we decided to go for a 'little' walk. We had spotted a trig point on top of a cliff at Mt Gillen, Alice Springs, and thought the track would wind up nicely around hills before taking up through a gap. Ha ha ha!! It nearly killed us. 4h 40mn in total. The last bit to reach the ridge was a rockface climb not for the fainthearted. The last thing we expected!! Not to mention climbing it back down. I was s**t scared. Unfortunately, I realised that I did not take any pictures of it, climbing a rockface with a DSLR dangling around my neck was not ideal, so I had packed it up in my day bag. Damn it, I suppose I have to go again... I'm sitting today with every muscle of my body hurting.

(These images are not on Alamy yet, they have been quickly processed, apologies for the quality or lack of).

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

96081402_10220090859335394_6599158121489

95623952_10220090860535424_1735723930741

95674465_10220090860855432_6125273660799

96347405_10220090861375445_1057988231850

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

95952026_10220090862015461_5861758442024

96145784_10220090862455472_4026232970405

95811052_10220090863215491_8360010862202

96032009_10220091027819606_4663167192949

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 4

14 minutes ago, Regis said:

Wow, this is beautiful country.

And is it nice and warm over there?

Starting to be a bit cold up north.

Temperature dropped to mid-20C this week and will remain so in the next few weeks, except the next two days at 32C. Ideal for hiking.

35 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Temperature dropped to mid-20C this week and will remain so in the next few weeks, except the next two days at 32C. Ideal for hiking.

How, that is cold!

We are still a bit warmer up here.

• Love 1

And here I was thinking you had such a nice way to travel -- bringing your home along with you everywhere. Sounded so easy. I have (at least temporarily) given up my international trips and was thinking how wonderful it is not to take international plane flights-- not to struggle with luggage and heavy equipment. My old body doesn't like any of that. Home is lovely though the confinement caused by the pandemic is hard. Fortunately, I have our small courtyard garden and I'm going to try buying some flowers to plant in a couple of weeks. Hope I don't get arrested for non-essential walking to the greenmarket.

Paulette

• Love 1

The greenmarket has been open through all of this and apparently that includes the plants as well as food. Actually, the small plant stores near me are also open. They don't have the flowers that will grow in our very shady garden. The old-fashioned impatiens like shade and I can usually get them at the greenmarket. I will have a longish walk home with a flat of flowers on my little cart. The police presences around here have been friendly. Cops in Washington Square to look out for us. There was some mugging activity at one point and not surprising given how empty the streets have been. It seems spooky sometimes with people masked. I usually try to give a smile to the officers but hard to do when masked! 

Paulette

• Love 2

13 minutes ago, NYCat said:

The greenmarket has been open through all of this and apparently that includes the plants as well as food. Actually, the small plant stores near me are also open. They don't have the flowers that will grow in our very shady garden. The old-fashioned impatiens like shade and I can usually get them at the greenmarket. I will have a longish walk home with a flat of flowers on my little cart. The police presences around here have been friendly. Cops in Washington Square to look out for us. There was some mugging activity at one point and not surprising given how empty the streets have been. It seems spooky sometimes with people masked. I usually try to give a smile to the officers but hard to do when masked! 

Paulette

Your smile is in your eyes.

Allan

13 hours ago, gvallee said:

Having regained some freedom, yesterday we decided to go for a 'little' walk. We had spotted a trig point on top of a cliff at Mt Gillen, Alice Springs, and thought the track would wind up nicely around hills before taking up through a gap. Ha ha ha!! It nearly killed us. 4h 40mn in total. The last bit to reach the ridge was a rockface climb not for the fainthearted. The last thing we expected!! Not to mention climbing it back down. I was s**t scared. Unfortunately, I realised that I did not take any pictures of it, climbing a rockface with a DSLR dangling around my neck was not ideal, so I had packed it up in my day bag. Damn it, I suppose I have to go again... I'm sitting today with every muscle of my body hurting.

(These images are not on Alamy yet, they have been quickly processed, apologies for the quality or lack of).

Thanks for sharing your images, Gen. It's always nice to see other parts of the world. Scotland is as far as I get these days and your trek reminds me of last October when I set off in bright sunshine to climb Stac Pollaidh (pronounced Stack Polly) at a mere 2,008 feet. It has a shattered sandstone crest and about half way up a large black cloud appeared, the wind reached gale force, and the sleet was horizontal. No shelter and had to retreat. The weather can change so quickly here and I made the unforgivable mistake of setting off without waterproofs!! This is something to try again after lockdown! 

Jim.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, NYCat said:

And here I was thinking you had such a nice way to travel -- bringing your home along with you everywhere. Sounded so easy. I have (at least temporarily) given up my international trips and was thinking how wonderful it is not to take international plane flights-- not to struggle with luggage and heavy equipment. My old body doesn't like any of that. Home is lovely though the confinement caused by the pandemic is hard. Fortunately, I have our small courtyard garden and I'm going to try buying some flowers to plant in a couple of weeks. Hope I don't get arrested for non-essential walking to the greenmarket.

Paulette

It's a very nice way to travel for sure, meeting different people in different places every day, but it's not always easy. For example, we've been hunkered down for over two months in a small rural town not designed for RVs. It's very hard to park in town, it has to be over two parking spaces, far away from the supermarket (and the bottle shop) and we have to carry all the groceries and bottles through the streets while being harangued by Aboriginals 'give us a bottle!'.

I don't like the look of future international flights. I read that one of the plans for airliners is to reverse the middle seat, facing the other way, while each seat will be surrounded by a glass partition, no more alcohol or hot meals served, only sandwiches to minimize contact, 4h at the airport before boarding, a whole string of checking and desinfecting procedures, and I don't want to think about carry on luggage allowance! Just when some airlines had reversed the 7kg max. I know these are only projects and brain storming exercises but the reality might not turn out very far out.

I do hope you manage to get hold of flowers to plant. They bring colours and joy to a dull day. 

Sending you some sunshine and warmth. 

Edited by gvallee

☀️

that was my sunshine emoticon to Paulette. I messed up a bit, didn't I?

Edited by gvallee

• Alamy locked this topic