Post a good thing that happened in your life today

18 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you for that information.

Allan

Allan,  friends of ours moved a couple of weeks ago with no problems. They had to pack everything before hand and label which room it would go in, then leave the house before the removal company arrived. At the new house everything was moved in for them and they could go in after the removers had left.

20 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

However if the worst comes to the worst I will bite the bullet and get a double height air bed. I have seen airbeds in the stores with built-in pumps and not a bad price either.

Allan

Allan, i purchased one of the double height airbeds with a built in pump. Have to say it is great and very comfortable. I slept on it for 6 months, and when I have visitors I happily give up my bed for them and use the airbed myself. The only time I had a problem was when I did not turn the deflate/inflate dial enough after inflating (it has to go to the middle or something) and air was slowly leaking out so by morning it had lost its firmness.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Great idea, Marianne. They beat a camp cot for sure, and they come in several sizes. I’ve slept on them.

Allan, over my frustrated years I tried my slow cooker, and about a year ago, I got an Instant Pot which is pressurized cooking.  The latter got me close to the tenderness I wanted, but no cigar. (I’m a hard taskmaster when it comes to cooking). The Lodge dutch oven was superior. The thing is so heavy I can barely lift it empty. It’s a real chore loaded with food.

Today was good and it was bad. I set off to two plant nurseries, masked up and keeping social distance. I found the Swamp milkweed I wanted, and another variety. I wanted Joe-Pye weed but the place I bought the milkweed only had the “chocolate Joe-Pye”. So I went to the other nursery because when I called them, they said they had the kind I wanted. Well....they didn’t. 
I come home with no Joe-Pye weed and realize I’d laid my reading glasses down at one of the nurseries. I drove to the nearest one, they’d not been turned in. So...back to the one 10 miles away. My glasses were waiting by the register. I went ahead and bought two of the chocolate Joe-Pye while there.

it was breezy today. I’m just in from trying to ready the planting bed and made my allergies and asthma flare. Too much pollen flying around. 
But I have my plants and I found my glasses. Sure could use a strong back, because what I’ve yet to dig out of the heavy clay planting bed is almost beyond me.

Betty

Hi Betty, I do not like pressure cookers (instant pot, if that is what you are meaning) but what we used to use a lot is a RÖMERTOPF, (pronounced Rummertoff). It is an unglazed porous  earthenware casserole pot with lid of the same material. They come in different sizes. How to use it?  First soak it in cold water for 15 minutes, place your meat and/or whatever in the pot then place the pot in a COLD oven, cook at 200c (400f) for 1 hour.

I won't go into it any further but look it up and you will find instructions on the web on using one and cleaning/storing it.

Allan

PS : Keep your mask on when woking in the garden to keep the pollen at bay.😷

ITMA

17 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Allan,  friends of ours moved a couple of weeks ago with no problems. They had to pack everything before hand and label which room it would go in, then leave the house before the removal company arrived. At the new house everything was moved in for them and they could go in after the removers had left.

Thanks for the information. I will have a word with my contracted removal company.

Allan

16 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I have used airbeds in the past and have found that by morning I am lying on the ground, the airbed having deflated during the night. 

Long ago I have camped, sleeping on either foam mats or airbeds with no problems, but not for at least 15 years. The year after last I camped for 3 nights on a sloping hillside in Dorset while photographing the Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival, the air bed was hell. Photography and weather was good though, plus beer and wifi at the local pub.

6 minutes ago, george said:

Allan, i purchased one of the double height airbeds with a built in pump. Have to say it is great and very comfortable. I slept on it for 6 months, and when I have visitors I happily give up my bed for them and use the airbed myself. The only time I had a problem was when I did not turn the deflate/inflate dial enough after inflating (it has to go to the middle or something) and air was slowly leaking out so by morning it had lost its firmness.

Thank you George.

Allan

33 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Marianne, Thanks for your thoughts.  A camp bed uses a frame with a canvas stretched across the width and length to keep you off the floor/ground.  I bought a camp bed two reasons. I have used airbeds in the past and have found that by morning I am lying on the ground, the airbed having deflated during the night. The second reason is the camp beds are generally higher up off the ground and easier to get on and off.   However if the worst comes to the worst I will bite the bullet and get a double height air bed. I have seen airbeds in the stores with built-in pumps and not a bad price either.

Allan

Campingaz is a good make

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campingaz-Quickbed-Single-Airbed-2-Year-Warranty-2020-Stock/223166691071?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item33f5c576ff:g:-b4AAOSwsyNec2g8&enc=AQAEAAACcIQvEcHUrT7nmUC3yY5qbPyaBN1nJEDYW8MyypsJPgXKy5QCKmmXtR1khE%2F9fH98liufWgYjZ4Ovem4UsOmIqbpah%2BuFJ2Q%2Fk5xUyp5YMY77xR0LMqIdYQR%2BqF%2BovLmaBrv0z2160zev%2FPGE4fkSfWBafZ%2BMMlO5wDhTBO6VC6A3Fs%2F1ynnDI9CP1iD0PvOBdIbofNVwLiouRR%2FqbCF8DgFt5QShCN6fptMWwd9y17QnoYQiD8xHIXvTepas0j9BQSdpN4Ahxy0XxvgPxEfYrBLMVSQkPx5BZboirrEISR4dpKe%2Bg1dNtFu8qH4d0QnYvKcWRnKn%2Bh2ZkC6hKf%2BiZmjseLMU%2FxWfIpCeUyR7aon2p1rk2JYZezovXWofkHa2G6csJvcsbWXEnG81FkR9EdtqQHiUHfR3J9LSm8B%2FLfl4IFVd3tNh%2B21vvO9mx6mQ%2Bct9k3QsX4buNgmhuia3qKmk4aJPAFp5D4VfRfgeEVYS%2BcjctOE7tTe6FJBY%2FOH3nzy1aXN%2F4ox7JtpiuZY2TVKvJcIrL%2BygR20jmTqDx7X2KbV595vBy09O8AMWGRRn1MdAx0EFoY7bhLN8rc4JnVarbjGLP%2BrGvKCl5FEwgoHy4TXBgpxtgHk1ji%2BmV5jBrMXbo%2Bv8vnfuxTO7%2FSd93Z%2FNfhrh1V3QAe%2BS8lcn8PV%2BK0qrreXTQTXZQ%2FmHoRK0D4mQBkcxzo46BCMFN1G6Vrh2qQ4SCfll9yB25uxrOG5vOS1NpRo%2BSUhEYv1DxAfHpjBaeEpRc5kl7NCmpdo3FiudnxjXCfipd7tioH7M1wtxmFJULDfC7m0aGaP4mMOsPA%3D%3D&checksum=223166691071766d9c0c5a34498380455618671a5750

but you do need a pump unless you have the lungs of a fishwife.

Our current one now has a bit of a leak but it's lasted about 8 years of twice-a-years camping trips. You could put it on top of the camp bed- really comfy. We put it in a duvet cover to protect it as it did get a couple of punctures, but it gets moved around a lot and I guess yours wouldn't.

Edited by spacecadet
1 minute ago, sb photos said:

Long ago I have camped, sleeping on either foam mats or airbeds with no problems, but not for at least 15 years. The year after last I camped for 3 nights on a sloping hillside in Dorset while photographing the Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival, the air bed was hell. Photography and weather was good though, plus beer and wifi at the local pub.

Oh dear!

Allan

3 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Perhaps you need a new one.

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Campingaz is a good make

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campingaz-Quickbed-Double-Airbed-205481-BNIB-Great-Camping-Guests-Garden/153473831833

they come in a single as well, under £20, but you do need a pump unless you have the lungs of a fishwife.

Our current one now has a bit of a leak but it's lasted about 8 years of twice-a-years camping trips. You could put it on top of the camp bed- really comfy. We put it in a duvet cover to protect it as it did get a couple of punctures, but it gets moved around a lot and I guess yours wouldn't.

Thanks for the link and information.

Allan

• Upvote 1

OK! I have made my decision.  I will wait out this latest three week lock down, which ends around 6th May, and see what the government have to say on the matter, after taking advice from the so called experts.

It is not that long to wait and would be safer all round. I would hate to think that someone contracted Covid 19 while on a job for me.

Allan

• Like 2

Another word about air beds. If it is cold at night the air in the bed can get cold so either nice thick blanket under your body or a nice electric blanket on top is very helpful.

Paulette

On 25/04/2020 at 12:45, Allan Bell said:

Where did you see that?

My move was booked (contracted) for the 1st April but when the lock down was announced I contacted my removal company and they said they were complying with the lock down instructions because they would not be able to maintain the social distancing rules. I can understand that as there would be two vans and four or five people to carry out the move.

Allan

There is another problem in that I was not taking beds with me and had ordered new to be delivered the day after the move but the bed company again are not delivering due to social distancing rules as there would be three people in the delivery lorry.

So if I can get the removal company to carry out their bit I would not have a bed for some time. Yes I could sleep on a camp bed and in a sleeping bag until the beds were delivered but at my time of life I like my comfort so thought I would stick it out where I am as there is a comfy bed to sleep in.  Then there are things like cupboards, dining table and chairs, lounge suite etc which I am going to have to get after I move and to achieve that the lock down would have to be lifted or partially lifted.

Allan

Hello Allan,

Somebody down the lane from me had removals going on just 4 days ago. Lorry and at least two people.

I drive around a lot for work (it's what I do !), and have seen several house removal trucks on the roads. So some sort of business is still going on.

I also see home delivery vehicles (such as John Lewis home delivery trucks), with two person teams in the cabs.

Refuse vehicles, they also have several people in the cabs (they don't hang on to the back of the dustcart like they did in the old days).

I think much of it is quite subjective as to what work you can and can't do. Depends on the boss (and what the customer is paying !).

Hope it all goes well,

Phil

49 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Another word about air beds. If it is cold at night the air in the bed can get cold so either nice thick blanket under your body or a nice electric blanket on top is very helpful.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette.

Allan

31 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Hello Allan,

Somebody down the lane from me had removals going on just 4 days ago. Lorry and at least two people.

I drive around a lot for work (it's what I do !), and have seen several house removal trucks on the roads. So some sort of business is still going on.

I also see home delivery vehicles (such as John Lewis home delivery trucks), with two person teams in the cabs.

Refuse vehicles, they also have several people in the cabs (they don't hang on to the back of the dustcart like they did in the old days).

I think much of it is quite subjective as to what work you can and can't do. Depends on the boss (and what the customer is paying !).

Hope it all goes well,

Phil

Thanks for the information Phil. I have noticed that the refuse lorries around here only seem to have a driver and one other operative.

As I said above I will wait till 6th May but in the meantime have a chat with the boss of my removal company and with the company who are due to deliver my new beds.

Allan

It would be nice to get settled in, Allan. I hope it happens for you sooner rather than later.

About the mask. Yes, it would be good to wear one when pollen is high. Being an asthmatic, when I wore a mask yesterday at the plant nursery, I felt starved for air. Like I’d used up the oxygen under it. As a child, I never could flip the covers over my head in bed for over a minute without clawing out nearly gasping. Which was sad while sleeping in an unheated bedroom, (actually a sunroom with windows all around)  cold enough to freeze water. But that was only one winter in an old farmhouse. I got used to having an icy nose.

Yesterday, digging in heavy clay soil with a big shovel left me a bit winded as it were. I couldn’t have stood a mask. I don’t know how the medical people stand them for hours on end.

49 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

It would be nice to get settled in, Allan. I hope it happens for you sooner rather than later.

About the mask. Yes, it would be good to wear one when pollen is high. Being an asthmatic, when I wore a mask yesterday at the plant nursery, I felt starved for air. Like I’d used up the oxygen under it. As a child, I never could flip the covers over my head in bed for over a minute without clawing out nearly gasping. Which was sad while sleeping in an unheated bedroom, (actually a sunroom with windows all around)  cold enough to freeze water. But that was only one winter in an old farmhouse. I got used to having an icy nose.

Yesterday, digging in heavy clay soil with a big shovel left me a bit winded as it were. I couldn’t have stood a mask. I don’t know how the medical people stand them for hours on end.

Betty, while I don’t suffer from asthma (and sorry that you do!), I too have always hated having my air constricted in any way.  I think I’m borderline claustrophobic, don’t like big crowds and tight spaces.  I remember going to a baseball game, as a kid, and it was hot and humid out and I was surrounded by cigarette smokers...I was miserable and could not wait to get out of there, could barely breathe. I was telling my daughter the other day, how much I dislike wearing a mask, but do it of course.  She laughed at me and said try wearing an N95 mask for 12-13 hours, as she has to do.  That shut me up, I couldn’t do it....even when I was 25!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Betty, while I don’t suffer from asthma (and sorry that you do!), I too have always hated having my air constricted in any way.  I think I’m borderline claustrophobic, don’t like big crowds and tight spaces.  I remember going to a baseball game, as a kid, and it was hot and humid out and I was surrounded by cigarette smokers...I was miserable and could not wait to get out of there, could barely breathe. I was telling my daughter the other day, how much I dislike wearing a mask, but do it of course.  She laughed at me and said try wearing an N95 mask for 12-13 hours, as she has to do.  That shut me up, I couldn’t do it....even when I was 25!

Exactly what I was talking about. I don’t know how they do it. I get squirmy just thinking about it, almost panicky.
I respect your daughter and others so much. Not only are they putting themselves at risk, but most certainly uncomfortable and exhausted. I found myself yesterday, at the point of desperation, lifting the mask a tiny bit at the bottom to get a bit of fresh air, defeating the purpose. 

Edited by Betty LaRue

Well speaking of good things, I am so grateful for people’s generosity during this unprecedented time.  My daughter was able to live in a donated apartment for all of April, in DC, but that is coming to an end this week. She found another generous couple who is letting her use an over-the-garage apartment, biking distance to the hospital! They said she can stay, rent free, for up to three months!  I think this place was normally an Airbnb and has been empty.  I told her that she should at least offer money for utilities.  Now if this place was not available, I think the hospital has partnered with local hotels for rooms for doctors and nurses, but having an apartment sure is nice.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Nothing very dramatic has occured of late, but I did see a small bird pop into the nest box that I recently installed at my allotment, while the first truss of flowers have appeared on a couple of my tomato plants. Potatoes are largely through and have been earthed up, while the weather person, who, admittedly often speaks with a forked tongue, predicts frost free nights ahead. We managed a video link with our grandson on the occasion of his 12th birthday, while I was able to buy a six pack of alcohol free beer at the weekend. Zero alcohol beer used to be awful, but these days it's quite palatable. 

So things are as OK as can be in this neck of the woods.

Oh, and how could I have forgotten, I was contacted by Alamy regarding a potential $$$$ book cover sale. Too long in this game to get excited over remote possibilities, but better than the proverbial poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2
29 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Nothing very dramatic has occured of late, but I did see a small bird pop into the nest box that I recently installed at my allotment, while the first truss of flowers have appeared on a couple of my tomato plants. Potatoes are largely through and have been earthed up, while the weather person, who, admittedly often speaks with a forked tongue, predicts frost free nights ahead. We managed a video link with our grandson on the occasion of his 12th birthday, while I was able to buy a six pack of alcohol free beer at the weekend. Zero alcohol beer used to be awful, but these days it's quite palatable. 

So things are as OK as can be in this neck of the woods.

Oh, and how could I have forgotten, I was contacted by Alamy regarding a potential $$$$ book cover sale. Too long in this game to get excited over remote possibilities, but better than the proverbial poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Bryan, you are a man of the earth. Putting up a nest box is a part of that. Ain’t nature grand?

I've spent two days, of and on, digging out roots from a bed made of hard clay. when I moved to this house two years ago, there was some sort of leafy plant in there at one end, hostas at the other. Both were shade plants and they got sun burnt in that bed. It’s been a real struggle getting the bulbs from the hostas and the roots from the other (unidentifiable plant) dug out. They were deep down. I’ve used three long-handled garden tools and two hand tools. I think I needed a pickax! 😁

I have bought two kinds of milkweed to encourage the proliferation of Monarch butterflies. Milkweed is the only plant they lay eggs on, feed on, and grow the chrysalis.
Then I bought Joe-Pye weed to plant alongside, which all sorts of butterflies love to nectar on.

I’m now very down in my back from hacking through the clay soil, but I think I can plant tomorrow. There is satisfaction working in the soil.  I have tomatoes to plant, also. It’s only been about 10 days since our last hard freeze. 
One of my many faults...I tend to bite off more than I can chew... And jump in where angels fear to tread. That’s me. I just remember what I could do before my back went sideways. Why don’t I remember what I can’t do now?

Maybe in the fall I’ll have all sorts of new butterfly images.

Did you take pictures of your new potatoes, Bryan?

Betty

• Like 1

Hi Betty, hope all that hard work pays off for you, as they say in these parts Gan canny man, or Gan canny pet.  Can you get some stable/farmyard manure to dig in, it makes all the difference - but let it rot down first.

We've a Buddleia or Butterfly Bush in the back garden, I intend every year to take some photos in season but never get round to it., but as for potato pics here goes: -

Bags of Charlotte and Rooster seed potatoes from Wilko, England, UK - Stock ImageSprouting Charlotte seed potatoes isolated on a white background. - Stock ImageOlder woman lifting Charlotte potatoes on an allotment, England, UK - Stock Image

This year we're planting Charlottes as a second early (waxy spud, great for tortillas) and Red Rooster as the main crop as they are reliable and store very well. An old farmer friend told me that the red skin spuds always store better than the white varieties.

People Planting potatoes by hand in a field Beamish Museum north east England UK - Stock ImageA replica Northern bus passes workers planting potatoes in field Beamish Museum north east England UK - Stock Image

We're a bit behind the times when it comes to planting spuds in the UK 🙃

Edited by Bryan
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

This year we're planting Charlottes as a second early (waxy spud, great for tortillas) and Red Rooster as the main crop as they are reliable and store very well. An old farmer friend told me that the red skin spuds always store better than the white varieties.

This is last year’s crop of Sarpo and Charlotte potatoes. Kept us going until March!

crop-of-freshly-dug-potatoes-and-carrots

You guys are making my mouth water for new potatoes. Here in the U.S., we like to cook the small reds with skins on in a pot of fresh green beans. Seasoned with bacon or salt pork. To top it off , sliced garden tomatoes, maybe fried okra, and a pan of cornbread.

That’s down-home southern cooking. Yum.

• Like 1

I got my 5 milkweeds planted along with two Joe-Pye weeds. Now to tuck the 6 little oniony plants among them to ward off aphids. I finally feel like I’ve accomplished something worthwhile.

I also still have 2 Lantana, 1 coneflower and 4 tomato plants to plant. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get it done. I love watching things grow.

Believe it or not, I’ve never been busier. When I’m through planting, I’ll get back to painting. And I’m devouring books.