Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Another word about air beds. If it is cold at night the air in the bed can get cold so either nice thick blanket under your body or a nice electric blanket on top is very helpful.

Paulette

On 25/04/2020 at 12:45, Allan Bell said:

Where did you see that?

My move was booked (contracted) for the 1st April but when the lock down was announced I contacted my removal company and they said they were complying with the lock down instructions because they would not be able to maintain the social distancing rules. I can understand that as there would be two vans and four or five people to carry out the move.

Allan

There is another problem in that I was not taking beds with me and had ordered new to be delivered the day after the move but the bed company again are not delivering due to social distancing rules as there would be three people in the delivery lorry.

So if I can get the removal company to carry out their bit I would not have a bed for some time. Yes I could sleep on a camp bed and in a sleeping bag until the beds were delivered but at my time of life I like my comfort so thought I would stick it out where I am as there is a comfy bed to sleep in.  Then there are things like cupboards, dining table and chairs, lounge suite etc which I am going to have to get after I move and to achieve that the lock down would have to be lifted or partially lifted.

Allan

Hello Allan,

Somebody down the lane from me had removals going on just 4 days ago. Lorry and at least two people.

I drive around a lot for work (it's what I do !), and have seen several house removal trucks on the roads. So some sort of business is still going on.

I also see home delivery vehicles (such as John Lewis home delivery trucks), with two person teams in the cabs.

Refuse vehicles, they also have several people in the cabs (they don't hang on to the back of the dustcart like they did in the old days).

I think much of it is quite subjective as to what work you can and can't do. Depends on the boss (and what the customer is paying !).

Hope it all goes well,

Phil

49 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Another word about air beds. If it is cold at night the air in the bed can get cold so either nice thick blanket under your body or a nice electric blanket on top is very helpful.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette.

Allan

31 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Hello Allan,

Somebody down the lane from me had removals going on just 4 days ago. Lorry and at least two people.

I drive around a lot for work (it's what I do !), and have seen several house removal trucks on the roads. So some sort of business is still going on.

I also see home delivery vehicles (such as John Lewis home delivery trucks), with two person teams in the cabs.

Refuse vehicles, they also have several people in the cabs (they don't hang on to the back of the dustcart like they did in the old days).

I think much of it is quite subjective as to what work you can and can't do. Depends on the boss (and what the customer is paying !).

Hope it all goes well,

Phil

Thanks for the information Phil. I have noticed that the refuse lorries around here only seem to have a driver and one other operative.

As I said above I will wait till 6th May but in the meantime have a chat with the boss of my removal company and with the company who are due to deliver my new beds.

Allan

It would be nice to get settled in, Allan. I hope it happens for you sooner rather than later.

About the mask. Yes, it would be good to wear one when pollen is high. Being an asthmatic, when I wore a mask yesterday at the plant nursery, I felt starved for air. Like I’d used up the oxygen under it. As a child, I never could flip the covers over my head in bed for over a minute without clawing out nearly gasping. Which was sad while sleeping in an unheated bedroom, (actually a sunroom with windows all around)  cold enough to freeze water. But that was only one winter in an old farmhouse. I got used to having an icy nose.

Yesterday, digging in heavy clay soil with a big shovel left me a bit winded as it were. I couldn’t have stood a mask. I don’t know how the medical people stand them for hours on end.

49 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

It would be nice to get settled in, Allan. I hope it happens for you sooner rather than later.

About the mask. Yes, it would be good to wear one when pollen is high. Being an asthmatic, when I wore a mask yesterday at the plant nursery, I felt starved for air. Like I’d used up the oxygen under it. As a child, I never could flip the covers over my head in bed for over a minute without clawing out nearly gasping. Which was sad while sleeping in an unheated bedroom, (actually a sunroom with windows all around)  cold enough to freeze water. But that was only one winter in an old farmhouse. I got used to having an icy nose.

Yesterday, digging in heavy clay soil with a big shovel left me a bit winded as it were. I couldn’t have stood a mask. I don’t know how the medical people stand them for hours on end.

Betty, while I don’t suffer from asthma (and sorry that you do!), I too have always hated having my air constricted in any way.  I think I’m borderline claustrophobic, don’t like big crowds and tight spaces.  I remember going to a baseball game, as a kid, and it was hot and humid out and I was surrounded by cigarette smokers...I was miserable and could not wait to get out of there, could barely breathe. I was telling my daughter the other day, how much I dislike wearing a mask, but do it of course.  She laughed at me and said try wearing an N95 mask for 12-13 hours, as she has to do.  That shut me up, I couldn’t do it....even when I was 25!

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Betty, while I don’t suffer from asthma (and sorry that you do!), I too have always hated having my air constricted in any way.  I think I’m borderline claustrophobic, don’t like big crowds and tight spaces.  I remember going to a baseball game, as a kid, and it was hot and humid out and I was surrounded by cigarette smokers...I was miserable and could not wait to get out of there, could barely breathe. I was telling my daughter the other day, how much I dislike wearing a mask, but do it of course.  She laughed at me and said try wearing an N95 mask for 12-13 hours, as she has to do.  That shut me up, I couldn’t do it....even when I was 25!

Exactly what I was talking about. I don’t know how they do it. I get squirmy just thinking about it, almost panicky.
I respect your daughter and others so much. Not only are they putting themselves at risk, but most certainly uncomfortable and exhausted. I found myself yesterday, at the point of desperation, lifting the mask a tiny bit at the bottom to get a bit of fresh air, defeating the purpose. 

Edited by Betty LaRue

Well speaking of good things, I am so grateful for people’s generosity during this unprecedented time.  My daughter was able to live in a donated apartment for all of April, in DC, but that is coming to an end this week. She found another generous couple who is letting her use an over-the-garage apartment, biking distance to the hospital! They said she can stay, rent free, for up to three months!  I think this place was normally an Airbnb and has been empty.  I told her that she should at least offer money for utilities.  Now if this place was not available, I think the hospital has partnered with local hotels for rooms for doctors and nurses, but having an apartment sure is nice.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Nothing very dramatic has occured of late, but I did see a small bird pop into the nest box that I recently installed at my allotment, while the first truss of flowers have appeared on a couple of my tomato plants. Potatoes are largely through and have been earthed up, while the weather person, who, admittedly often speaks with a forked tongue, predicts frost free nights ahead. We managed a video link with our grandson on the occasion of his 12th birthday, while I was able to buy a six pack of alcohol free beer at the weekend. Zero alcohol beer used to be awful, but these days it's quite palatable. 

So things are as OK as can be in this neck of the woods.

Oh, and how could I have forgotten, I was contacted by Alamy regarding a potential $$$$ book cover sale. Too long in this game to get excited over remote possibilities, but better than the proverbial poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2

29 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Nothing very dramatic has occured of late, but I did see a small bird pop into the nest box that I recently installed at my allotment, while the first truss of flowers have appeared on a couple of my tomato plants. Potatoes are largely through and have been earthed up, while the weather person, who, admittedly often speaks with a forked tongue, predicts frost free nights ahead. We managed a video link with our grandson on the occasion of his 12th birthday, while I was able to buy a six pack of alcohol free beer at the weekend. Zero alcohol beer used to be awful, but these days it's quite palatable. 

So things are as OK as can be in this neck of the woods.

Oh, and how could I have forgotten, I was contacted by Alamy regarding a potential $$$$ book cover sale. Too long in this game to get excited over remote possibilities, but better than the proverbial poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Bryan, you are a man of the earth. Putting up a nest box is a part of that. Ain’t nature grand?

I've spent two days, of and on, digging out roots from a bed made of hard clay. when I moved to this house two years ago, there was some sort of leafy plant in there at one end, hostas at the other. Both were shade plants and they got sun burnt in that bed. It’s been a real struggle getting the bulbs from the hostas and the roots from the other (unidentifiable plant) dug out. They were deep down. I’ve used three long-handled garden tools and two hand tools. I think I needed a pickax! 😁

I have bought two kinds of milkweed to encourage the proliferation of Monarch butterflies. Milkweed is the only plant they lay eggs on, feed on, and grow the chrysalis.
Then I bought Joe-Pye weed to plant alongside, which all sorts of butterflies love to nectar on.

I’m now very down in my back from hacking through the clay soil, but I think I can plant tomorrow. There is satisfaction working in the soil.  I have tomatoes to plant, also. It’s only been about 10 days since our last hard freeze. 
One of my many faults...I tend to bite off more than I can chew... And jump in where angels fear to tread. That’s me. I just remember what I could do before my back went sideways. Why don’t I remember what I can’t do now?

Maybe in the fall I’ll have all sorts of new butterfly images.

Did you take pictures of your new potatoes, Bryan?

Betty

• Love 1

Hi Betty, hope all that hard work pays off for you, as they say in these parts Gan canny man, or Gan canny pet.  Can you get some stable/farmyard manure to dig in, it makes all the difference - but let it rot down first.

We've a Buddleia or Butterfly Bush in the back garden, I intend every year to take some photos in season but never get round to it., but as for potato pics here goes: -

Bags of Charlotte and Rooster seed potatoes from Wilko, England, UK - Stock ImageSprouting Charlotte seed potatoes isolated on a white background. - Stock ImageOlder woman lifting Charlotte potatoes on an allotment, England, UK - Stock Image

This year we're planting Charlottes as a second early (waxy spud, great for tortillas) and Red Rooster as the main crop as they are reliable and store very well. An old farmer friend told me that the red skin spuds always store better than the white varieties.

People Planting potatoes by hand in a field Beamish Museum north east England UK - Stock ImageA replica Northern bus passes workers planting potatoes in field Beamish Museum north east England UK - Stock Image

We're a bit behind the times when it comes to planting spuds in the UK 🙃

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

This year we're planting Charlottes as a second early (waxy spud, great for tortillas) and Red Rooster as the main crop as they are reliable and store very well. An old farmer friend told me that the red skin spuds always store better than the white varieties.

This is last year’s crop of Sarpo and Charlotte potatoes. Kept us going until March!

crop-of-freshly-dug-potatoes-and-carrots

You guys are making my mouth water for new potatoes. Here in the U.S., we like to cook the small reds with skins on in a pot of fresh green beans. Seasoned with bacon or salt pork. To top it off , sliced garden tomatoes, maybe fried okra, and a pan of cornbread.

That’s down-home southern cooking. Yum.

• Love 1

I got my 5 milkweeds planted along with two Joe-Pye weeds. Now to tuck the 6 little oniony plants among them to ward off aphids. I finally feel like I’ve accomplished something worthwhile.

I also still have 2 Lantana, 1 coneflower and 4 tomato plants to plant. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get it done. I love watching things grow.

Believe it or not, I’ve never been busier. When I’m through planting, I’ll get back to painting. And I’m devouring books.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I passed a whole bunch of veggies on the shelves of Marks and Spencer's today.

We’re lucky enough to live within cycling distance (30mins each way) of a very good farm shop. 30 odd years ago it was just a pick your own but now it’s a biggish shop with fresh meat, fish, bread, cakes etc as well as good quality fresh fruit and veg. I can only unfortunately buy enough to fill the panniers on my bike!  Very good social distancing in place, disposable gloves and antibacterial hand wash provided. Makes shopping a pleasant experience!

2 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

We’re lucky enough to live within cycling distance (30mins each way) of a very good farm shop. 30 odd years ago it was just a pick your own but now it’s a biggish shop with fresh meat, fish, bread, cakes etc as well as good quality fresh fruit and veg. I can only unfortunately buy enough to fill the panniers on my bike!  Very good social distancing in place, disposable gloves and antibacterial hand wash provided. Makes shopping a pleasant experience!

So you get your exercise and food...2 for one. Good deal. 
I got my tomatoes planted, except for one.  I put them in containers.

It’s hot and humid out there so I quit before I ruined my fresh shower. I’ll wait for the sun to go down to finish.

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I passed a whole bunch of veggies on the shelves of Marks and Spencer's today.

So, Ed, did you buy some veggies and cook ‘em up? I’ve been so exhausted from the yard work, I had butter sandwiches two nights in a row. This evening, I picked up a burger and tater tots with a cherry limeade. Real healthy, huh? Lunch was a peanut butter sandwich. When your too tired to drag one foot after the other, bad things happen with diets.

Fresh veggies sounds wonderful about now. Maybe tomorrow....

This is actually from yesterday but a very nice memory this morning. I am positive now that we have a cardinal nest in the garden. I had seen the male on my fire escape railing but yesterday both the male and female showed up where I could see them well. Pretty impossible for photos but sometimes it is nice to just look. They are such beautiful birds. I think the birds are happy that there is so little coming and going in the garden these days. An example of nature taking over the city in our quiet times.

Paulette

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

So, Ed, did you buy some veggies and cook ‘em up? I’ve been so exhausted from the yard work, I had butter sandwiches two nights in a row. This evening, I picked up a burger and tater tots with a cherry limeade. Real healthy, huh? Lunch was a peanut butter sandwich. When your too tired to drag one foot after the other, bad things happen with diets.

Fresh veggies sounds wonderful about now. Maybe tomorrow....

When I can't bother to make a good dinner I sometimes have cold cereal with berries. Quite as delicious in the evening as the morning and healthy too.

Paulette

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

This is actually from yesterday but a very nice memory this morning. I am positive now that we have a cardinal nest in the garden. I had seen the male on my fire escape railing but yesterday both the male and female showed up where I could see them well. Pretty impossible for photos but sometimes it is nice to just look. They are such beautiful birds. I think the birds are happy that there is so little coming and going in the garden these days. An example of nature taking over the city in our quiet times.

Paulette

Cardinals mate for life. I have watched them court...yes the male still courts the female during breeding season. He will feed her. It is precious to watch. I wonder if he’s letting her know he’s still got the stuff to feed babies, and who knows, maybe feed her while she’s sitting on the eggs. Or else he’s ensuring her to not have a headache! 😂

I think they like to nest deep inside shrubs. I had a nesting pair once deep in my holly bush.

European Starlings will sometimes lay eggs in another bird’s nest. I once saw a male cardinal feeding a raucous, demanding starling fledgling, and the cardinal looked scruffy and worn out.

Good thing happened in my life today?

Well earlier in another thread I mentioned I had completed my tax return on line which took about 20 minutes to do.

Got a tax refund today and if I could get that amount for every 20 minutes work I do I would be a very rich person.😃

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

European Starlings will sometimes lay eggs in another bird’s nest. 

Indeed. Here's one squatting a woodpecker's nest in a saguaro cactus. Arizona.

EJ6M67.jpg

• Love 2

• Alamy locked this topic