Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My daughter has recovered from the virus and has been regaining her strength the past week. She’s not there, yet. I haven’t seen her in 6 weeks.

My good news is that she did recover, it could have gone badly. Kansas, at the bottom, is #51 (including District of Columbia) on tests per capita. Rather pitiful.

So good to hear that your daughter has recovered, that must be a big relief!!  Was she never able to get tested? 

Good to hear your daughter is better and gaining strength Betty.

Good thing that happened today?  - - - - I woke up.

Allan

• Love 2

I’d kind of given up on our robins’ nest because I so seldom see the birds. So when I was walking in the garden I went near it and peeked. When I didn’t see a bird sitting on it I figured they were gone but then I noticed a bit of movement. When an adult bird across the way began an alarm call I knew there must be babies! I went to the other end of the garden and stood behind a bush for a while. The robin finally stopped screaming and flew in the direction of the nest… Hooray. Such good news.

Paulette 

7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

So good to hear that your daughter has recovered, that must be a big relief!!  Was she never able to get tested? 

No, Michael. Never tested. Kansas testing...well I shouldn’t gripe, but it is severely lacking. First responders, medical, and those that can’t breathe get tested. The rest fall through the cracks. 
She saw her rheumatologist Friday and he listened to all the symptoms she had while sick. Then he said, “You had it, no doubt!”

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I’d kind of given up on our robins’ nest because I so seldom see the birds. So when I was walking in the garden I went near it and peeked. When I didn’t see a bird sitting on it I figured they were gone but then I noticed a bit of movement. When an adult bird across the way began an alarm call I knew there must be babies! I went to the other end of the garden and stood behind a bush for a while. The robin finally stopped screaming and flew in the direction of the nest… Hooray. Such good news.

Paulette 

Wonderful!

My good news. I’ve needed peroxide and dinner napkins and paper towels. Unavailable online ordering. I picked up my drive-up order this morning, then decided to go inside all masked up. Multiple bottles of peroxide, what’s up with that?  2 packages of napkins, I took one. I got my missing items!

Happy camper!

Betty

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

No, Michael. Never tested. Kansas testing...well I shouldn’t gripe, but it is severely lacking. First responders, medical, and those that can’t breathe get tested. The rest fall through the cracks. 
She saw her rheumatologist Friday and he listened to all the symptoms she had while sick. Then he said, “You had it, no doubt!”

Well if it makes you feel any better, my daughter works with Covid patients most days and is an EMT on an ambulance on Sunday nights and has never been tested.  She has not had any symptoms but may have had it and been asymptomatic.  I think these frontline people should be tested as often as possible. But I also know these test kits are a commodity.

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Well if it makes you feel any better, my daughter works with Covid patients most days and is an EMT on an ambulance on Sunday nights and has never been tested.  She has not had any symptoms but may have had it and been asymptomatic.  I think these frontline people should be tested as often as possible. But I also know these test kits are a commodity.

I agree wholeheartedly. Medical should be tested regularly. Especially so they won’t take it home to their families, let alone possibly spread it to some poor person suffering from another medical problem, like a heart attack.

Obviously, no matter how careful they are, infection is still happening to our medical people. And some are dying. I understand your feelings about your daughter being exposed daily.  I’d be terrified. Chances are, though, being young, she’d get through it ok.

Betty

Good thing.
I visited my daughter who has recovered (mostly) from Covid-19. I walked around to the back of her house. She sat by her sliding door, I sat at the opposite end of her deck. We were about 10 feet away from each other. Fresh air. She hadn’t been contagious for 11 days at that time.
We chatted, discussed masks, laughed together and she showed me the mask she made. General consensus, we both have a problem feeling like we are not getting enough air while wearing them. It feels like we use up the oxygen under them very quickly. We are both asthmatics.

I have a few masks ordered from fineartamerica with my artwork on them. They could be useless to me, but maybe I can stand one briefly to run into the grocery. I’ll be fashion-forward if I can.

I can’t tell you how nice it was to see her face-to-face, eyes on, which I’d been longing to do for what seems forever.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

A good thing that happened in my life today.

Did my online tax return. Only took about 20 minutes so I quickly ran the vacuum (Hoover) around the house.

Allan

• Love 1

My old MacBook Air, bought in 2014, had just about given up the ghost: running slooooooow, taking an age to load a webpage, etc. So I took delivery today of a 2020 model. It took about half an hour to ‘migrate’ all my files from old Mac to new Mac (this is my ‘writing’ Mac, not ‘photography’ Mac), when I thought it would take all day. I’m no techie, but it’s great to have a fast and responsive machine again. OK, not a big deal, compared with the news I’m hearing this evening, but, right now, I’ll take any excuse to look on the bright side… 

On 21/04/2020 at 17:48, NYCat said:

Paulette 

I promised pix of visiting robins but it hasn't happened yet........today I was cutting up a bit more tree when one perched on the back of a chair 3 feet away Camera? Of course not. Then a pair of bluetits with beaks full of nest-fluff came by for a bark insect snack. Camera? Not till they were at the top of the tree.

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

A good thing that happened in my life today.

Did my online tax return. Only took about 20 minutes so I quickly ran the vacuum (Hoover) around the house.

Allan

I’ll send mine to you, Allan. I like your speed. 😉

On 21/04/2020 at 13:01, Betty LaRue said:

Wonderful!

You will enjoy watching them, I hope. Get some fledgling shots if you can, Paulette. I can always tell baby birds even when they are fully feathered. They keep the bright yellow at the corners of their beaks for awhile. Little food beacons! 😁

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

My old MacBook Air, bought in 2014, had just about given up the ghost: running slooooooow, taking an age to load a webpage, etc. So I took delivery today of a 2020 model. It took about half an hour to ‘migrate’ all my files from old Mac to new Mac (this is my ‘writing’ Mac, not ‘photography’ Mac), when I thought it would take all day. I’m no techie, but it’s great to have a fast and responsive machine again. OK, not a big deal, compared with the news I’m hearing this evening, but, right now, I’ll take any excuse to look on the bright side… 

John, I have always loved getting a new lightning fast computer. Until I start bogging it down, lol. It is a big deal. And something to brighten your days.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Another good thing. My car was very dusty. We just had a heavy rain, called a gully-washer in my part of the country. I backed the car onto the driveway. Now all I have to do is towel dry it. A nice, Mother Nature car wash with soft water.

I have to take my pleasures where I find them.

• Love 1

I'm dancing!! I finished super-tagging all my 2020 batches!! 523 pictures.  And I filled in the optional fields as well.

And now on to my next project. Creative photography, just for my own enjoyment, not for Alamy.

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good for you, Gen!  Btw, my upload today passed right away. Some are reporting delays. How’s it for you?

I haven't uploaded in April Betty. I'm just about to edit the next and last batch. 

With self-isolation, I am limited to the campsite around my motorhome. It's amazing what I found. 

There is an orange potter wasp busy building its nest 2 metres from me. It does trips bringing mud, build a capsule with a hole. Goes away, comes back with a caterpillar which it pushes through the hole. A few more caterpillars. Then it blocks the hole with more mud. Job done. Then it starts on the next storey. I have the whole sequence. Will it ever sell on Alamy? I doubt it but it costs nothing to upload.

Then there are various colourful bugs with their instars at various stages. I found a cicada trying to emerge from its exoskeleton but didn't make it. 

We have ringneck parakeets landing on our shoulders and arms to get fed while sitting under the awning. And a boobook calling at night in the tree overhead. It's a zoo!! Lots to see for people bothering to look.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good for you, Gen!  Btw, my upload today passed right away. Some are reporting delays. How’s it for you?

Delays! Delays!  Don't talk to me about delays. My Alamy account has come to a dead stop, nothing working, no progress, uploads stuck in QC, no replies to emails, no views, no zooms, no sales, no payments.  Is there anything I have left out?

Seems like I am on an Alamy holiday just at the time I need something to keep me interested. Yes I can play about with images in LR but that is paling in significance.

Allan

20 minutes ago, Sally R said:

We have a boobook owl calling all the way down here in Perth too Gen. He or she (not sure which) calls every night. It is the most comforting sound. One evening at dusk he or she was on the washing line and we saw each other through the window. We had fun imitating each others head movements my moving our heads in circles.

Back in January when it was extremely hot I was working at the computer when I heard one calling about midday, which is obviously the opposite time than they are usually awake and calling. I could see her on a branch. She kept calling and then stopped. I wondered if she was dreaming and was calling in her sleep (the way dogs quite often yelp and bark in their sleep), and then she suddenly woke up and thought, oh it's not night time after all.

It sounds wonderful where you are, discovering all the little creatures. I would love to do what you are doing one day, travelling across Australia and taking photos!

I love your boobook story. Why wouldn't they dream too? 

This is our second Big Lap. During our trips, we have met lots of people who have been on the road for years. Our current neighbors have been travelling for 8 years. The next ones are on the road indefinitely while home schooling their twins. Once we met a family with 4 young kids on the road for a year. It's very common in Australia. The great outdoors are so awesome for adults and kids alike. Wildlife is not always easy to spot, we do have to slow down and take time to look for it. I just love Australia. I couldn't live anywhere else but Immigration might have other ideas... We'll see.

Only a little thing, but they are often the big things....

I have been feeling a little down the last couple of days, living alone and not having very good weather always make things seem worse. I was supposed to fly back to UK a couple of days ago but obviously cancelled so have missed staying with my daughter (who just turned 30, missed that), going to see my mum on her 84th birthday (today), she lives alone too, and seeing my son and other family members. But a friend rang my door bell a couple of hours ago and over the gate she handed me a bag. Inside was a book for me to read but most importantly a beautiful piece of beetroot cake with cream cheese icing from my favourite cake shop. I tried to take some pics but could not be bothered to get the right light and plate etc as just wanted to get stuck into it. mmmmmm, delish. happy now 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, george said:

Only a little thing, but they are often the big things....

I have been feeling a little down the last couple of days, living alone and not having very good weather always make things seem worse. I was supposed to fly back to UK a couple of days ago but obviously cancelled so have missed staying with my daughter (who just turned 30, missed that), going to see my mum on her 84th birthday (today), she lives alone too, and seeing my son and other family members. But a friend rang my door bell a couple of hours ago and over the gate she handed me a bag. Inside was a book for me to read but most importantly a beautiful piece of beetroot cake with cream cheese icing from my favourite cake shop. I tried to take some pics but could not be bothered to get the right light and plate etc as just wanted to get stuck into it. mmmmmm, delish. happy now 

Yes, little things can be very pleasing.

I’ve moaned for years about how tough the beef roasts are the past 15 years or so. Not enough marbling. Used to, I could buy a cheap chuck roast, bake it until it was fall-apart tender. No more.

I ordered a roast in a pickup order the other day.  I have one of those very heavy ceramic-lined Lodge brand dutch oven pans. I seasoned and browned the roast that had no marbling. Added a bit of water with 2 beef bouillon cubes. Baked it 3 1/2 hours at 300 degrees, and it was so tender. I added onion, garlic, carrots and potatoes the last hour and a bit. And the gravy from the drippings...mmmm.

Surprising how happy it made me to finally fix a tender roast. I think it was the low heat that did it. I usually bake at 350.

Betty

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Delays! Delays!  Don't talk to me about delays. My Alamy account has come to a dead stop, nothing working, no progress, uploads stuck in QC, no replies to emails, no views, no zooms, no sales, no payments.  Is there anything I have left out?

Seems like I am on an Alamy holiday just at the time I need something to keep me interested. Yes I can play about with images in LR but that is paling in significance.

Allan

That’s horrible. 😢

12 hours ago, Sally R said:

Hi Gen,

Having just mentioned Bill Bachman to you with regard to his photos taken travelling around Australia, I just found that he has images on Alamy, in case they are of interest...

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pseudoid={36B520F6-2A87-49B0-AFCD-220A419ED6A9}&name=Bill%2bBachman&st=11&mode=0&comp=1

I just love his portfolio. He's really good at portraying people from the Outback and Aboriginal people. I'm not very good at portraiture.

I don't think I have his book but I have numerous coffee table ones on Australia. I'm a sucker for books.

I did a few Blurb books myself, just for myself. If you're interested here are some: 

Australia

Cairns where I was based the last year and a half or so

Australian Seascapes

Gibb River Road

You can preview them by turning the pages.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic