Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My good thing today....I’m “maybe” figuring out how to paint a cat’s face in watercolor. If I practice it enough to get decent at it, I’ll paint my sister’s cat for her from a picture.

@MizBrown, “he lives.....funny! 
I had a fried egg sandwich for lunch. Again.

Betty - you are the good thing for today 😀

• Love 4
  • Like 1

It rained in my corner of the world after about a month without any! The garden is soaking it up and the allotment holders down here will be rejoicing.

Betty, good to read you again and I have joined you in a fried egg sandwich. My first for a long while and it weren't half good!

Jim :)

Edited by Broad Norfolk
Sorry - month not mouth!

Sally, the Galahs are doing what all parrots do, I think. I love this video.  
I put Echo in my kitchen sink and turn on the sprayer attachment to give her a shower.  She spreads her wings and turns around so all feathers can get wet just like your Galahs.   She likes the water cold, but in the winter I finish her off with warm at the end.

I posted a picture of a female hummingbird in the nature thread (way back) that shows even these little birds love their rainy shower baths, too.

You are lucky to be able to see such beautiful parrots in the wild. I’m green with envy.

@Allan Bell optimism is always the way to choose. It makes for a happy and more serene life. Our glasses are always half full. Sometimes I am shockingly knocked off that perch, but I scramble to climb back on again. 

3 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

It rained in my corner of the world after about a mouth without any! The garden is soaking it up and the allotment holders down here will be rejoicing.

Betty, good to read you again and I have joined you in a fried egg sandwich. My first for a long while and it weren't half good!

Jim :)

We had a needed rain, too, Jim!  Fried egg sandwiches go back to my childhood when we kept layer chickens.  I loved them then, too. Both the chickens, one of them I made a cuddle pet, and the sandwich!

12 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

We had a needed rain, too, Jim!  Fried egg sandwiches go back to my childhood when we kept layer chickens.  I loved them then, too. Both the chickens, one of them I made a cuddle pet, and the sandwich!

A very long time ago in San Diego when I was a wee girl and Easter was approaching the local drugstore was giving out a live baby chicken (in a Chinese food take-out box) to anyone who spent a certain amount of $$. I know, this is terrible but there is a happy ending for at least 2 chicks. My friend and I asked people to please, please give us a chick. The fools did so and we each scored a baby. My friend's mother wouldn't let her keep hers so I had two. Mind you, my mother and I lived in a small apartment on the second floor of an apartment complex. I could never have a cat or dog because it was hard enough for her to find an apartment that accepted kids without also accepting pets. So I was animal-deprived (probably why I photograph them) and my mother spoiled me. So she let me keep them in an open box in the apartment. We did have a front lawn and I would take them down to play with them. I remember how good they felt sitting in the palm of my hand. They turned out to be bantam chickens and one was a hen and the other a rooster. My mother was afraid the rooster would start to crow and we would be evicted. She had warned me that I wouldn't be able to keep them forever and she found a little boy who raised bantam chickens. A happy story all around. I have discovered that in Africa if a child adopts a baby wild animal they are carefully taught that one day the wild animal needs to go back to the wild. I am going to hug my cat Possum right now! I do miss the cats I take care of when my clients travel. No cat-sitting right now.

Paulette

• Like 2

Today? No good things . . . but yesterday I scored with three: my rental studio was extended, my building got workable WiFi at last, and Barclays unlocked my bank card. 😀

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Today? No good things . . . but yesterday I scored with three: my rental studio was extended, my building got workable WiFi at last, and Barclays unlocked my bank card. 😀

Three cheers!

Paulette

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

You got two bedrooms now?

Allan

• Love 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

A very long time ago in San Diego when I was a wee girl and Easter was approaching the local drugstore was giving out a live baby chicken (in a Chinese food take-out box) to anyone who spent a certain amount of $$. I know, this is terrible but there is a happy ending for at least 2 chicks. My friend and I asked people to please, please give us a chick. The fools did so and we each scored a baby. My friend's mother wouldn't let her keep hers so I had two. Mind you, my mother and I lived in a small apartment on the second floor of an apartment complex. I could never have a cat or dog because it was hard enough for her to find an apartment that accepted kids without also accepting pets. So I was animal-deprived (probably why I photograph them) and my mother spoiled me. So she let me keep them in an open box in the apartment. We did have a front lawn and I would take them down to play with them. I remember how good they felt sitting in the palm of my hand. They turned out to be bantam chickens and one was a hen and the other a rooster. My mother was afraid the rooster would start to crow and we would be evicted. She had warned me that I wouldn't be able to keep them forever and she found a little boy who raised bantam chickens. A happy story all around. I have discovered that in Africa if a child adopts a baby wild animal they are carefully taught that one day the wild animal needs to go back to the wild. I am going to hug my cat Possum right now! I do miss the cats I take care of when my clients travel. No cat-sitting right now.

Paulette

Around age 11, I got 2 baby chicks, too. My stepfather built an enclosure for them. This was after we’d quit keeping chickens. I loved them.

A funny story. My stepdad could sometimes be quite cruel. For instance, around 9-10 years old, I begin learning how to bake and make candy. One day I made a vanilla cake from scratch and it turned out heavy and a bit underdone.

My stepdad begin eating his cake, but after a bite, he put down his fork. He began rolling the cake into small marble-sized balls. I asked what he was doing. “I’m making dough balls, and going to use them for fish bait.”

I was crushed as only a sensitive girl can be.  Tears and all that.  
So another day, I was making scratch brownies. I was slow. My mother got impatient and started adding a few of the ingredients to hurry me up. I added salt. She added salt. Neither of us realized.

One bite of the brownies...I spit it out. I was terrified that my stepdad would say something bad. We still had chickens at that point. I hurriedly took the pan of brownies out and dumped them in the chicken pen. There was a fine rain falling.

The chickens all ran to the brownies, took one peck and turned up their beaks and walked away. Not only walked away, but acted like that pile of brownies was a fox or something that would attack them.  I didn’t know chocolate was bad for birds at that time, but maybe they did, or they didn’t like the saltiness.

Knowing my stepdad would ask why brownies were in the chicken pen forced me to go in and pick up the brownies amid mud and chicken poop. I did it, looking like a drowned rat, hid them in a paper sack and put them in the trash barrel.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wow, did you find a four-leafed clover?

I woke up this morning in the Big City to see a fledgling bird on the fire escape opposite me. At first I thought it must be a robin because I know we have a nest this year. It was too big though and all gray. I got a terrible photo of it and decided it was probably  a mourning dove. We have a nest near enough that I hear the cooing and I've seen a couple visiting our garden. It was not in a good place or good light for photos so I went ahead and did some shopping. When I got back I saw that it was at the front of the fire escape where I might get a decent photo but by the time I got up to my apartment it had flown away. I'm so happy it can fly because I hadn't seen it being fed. New life!

Paulette

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

I woke up this morning in the Big City to see a fledgling bird on the fire escape opposite me. At first I thought it must be a robin because I know we have a nest this year. It was too big though and all gray. I got a terrible photo of it and decided it was probably  a mourning dove. We have a nest near enough that I hear the cooing and I've seen a couple visiting our garden. It was not in a good place or good light for photos so I went ahead and did some shopping. When I got back I saw that it was at the front of the fire escape where I might get a decent photo but by the time I got up to my apartment it had flown away. I'm so happy it can fly because I hadn't seen it being fed. New life!

Paulette

I love mourning doves.

Thank you, Mark!

Went shopping at our local Tesco store for groceries for a week. Came away with enough for two weeks. Only just managed to get it in the freezer which was full already.

No Queueing. Walked straight in.

Allan

I did a 6am grocery run this morning...the best time to go! The shelves are pretty well stocked and even got some hot freshly made bagels.  No lines and got enough items to last a couple of weeks!  Like you, Allan, the freezer it getting tight.

Better than getting my groceries this morning, I got to see, albeit very briefly, my nurse daughter...been two weeks since I saw her last.  She stopped by today to pick up a few things, she wore protective gear while in my home.  She told me she worked 90 hours last week (that's a lot of overtime!) and has a bunch of Covid patients in her unit. She says they have a total of 75 coronavirus patients at her hospital...I hope to never be one of them!  My heart aches for the patients and the families who have loved ones in hospital and no one is allowed in but staff. 

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Better than getting my groceries this morning, I got to see, albeit very briefly, my nurse daughter...been two weeks since I saw her last.  She stopped by today to pick up a few things, she wore protective gear while in my home.  She told me she worked 90 hours last week (that's a lot of overtime!) and has a bunch of Covid patients in her unit. She says they have a total of 75 coronavirus patients at her hospital...I hope to never be one of them!  My heart aches for the patients and the families who have loved ones in hospital and no one is allowed in but staff. 

My daughter has recovered from the virus and has been regaining her strength the past week. She’s not there, yet. I haven’t seen her in 6 weeks.

My good news is that she did recover, it could have gone badly. Kansas, at the bottom, is #51 (including District of Columbia) on tests per capita. Rather pitiful.

Edited by Betty LaRue

• Alamy locked this topic