Betty LaRue

Post a good thing that happened in your life today

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

We have ringneck parakeets landing on our shoulders and arms to get fed while sitting under the awning. And a boobook calling at night in the tree overhead. It's a zoo!!

We have a boobook owl calling all the way down here in Perth too Gen. He or she (not sure which) calls every night. It is the most comforting sound. One evening at dusk he or she was on the washing line and we saw each other through the window. We had fun imitating each others head movements my moving our heads in circles.

Back in January when it was extremely hot I was working at the computer when I heard one calling about midday, which is obviously the opposite time than they are usually awake and calling. I could see her on a branch. She kept calling and then stopped. I wondered if she was dreaming and was calling in her sleep (the way dogs quite often yelp and bark in their sleep), and then she suddenly woke up and thought, oh it's not night time after all.

It sounds wonderful where you are, discovering all the little creatures. I would love to do what you are doing one day, travelling across Australia and taking photos!

20 minutes ago, Sally R said:

We have a boobook owl calling all the way down here in Perth too Gen. He or she (not sure which) calls every night. It is the most comforting sound. One evening at dusk he or she was on the washing line and we saw each other through the window. We had fun imitating each others head movements my moving our heads in circles.

Back in January when it was extremely hot I was working at the computer when I heard one calling about midday, which is obviously the opposite time than they are usually awake and calling. I could see her on a branch. She kept calling and then stopped. I wondered if she was dreaming and was calling in her sleep (the way dogs quite often yelp and bark in their sleep), and then she suddenly woke up and thought, oh it's not night time after all.

It sounds wonderful where you are, discovering all the little creatures. I would love to do what you are doing one day, travelling across Australia and taking photos!

I love your boobook story. Why wouldn't they dream too? 

This is our second Big Lap. During our trips, we have met lots of people who have been on the road for years. Our current neighbors have been travelling for 8 years. The next ones are on the road indefinitely while home schooling their twins. Once we met a family with 4 young kids on the road for a year. It's very common in Australia. The great outdoors are so awesome for adults and kids alike. Wildlife is not always easy to spot, we do have to slow down and take time to look for it. I just love Australia. I couldn't live anywhere else but Immigration might have other ideas... We'll see.

Only a little thing, but they are often the big things....

I have been feeling a little down the last couple of days, living alone and not having very good weather always make things seem worse. I was supposed to fly back to UK a couple of days ago but obviously cancelled so have missed staying with my daughter (who just turned 30, missed that), going to see my mum on her 84th birthday (today), she lives alone too, and seeing my son and other family members. But a friend rang my door bell a couple of hours ago and over the gate she handed me a bag. Inside was a book for me to read but most importantly a beautiful piece of beetroot cake with cream cheese icing from my favourite cake shop. I tried to take some pics but could not be bothered to get the right light and plate etc as just wanted to get stuck into it. mmmmmm, delish. happy now 

• Like 1

That sounds wonderful Gen. Perhaps you could do a book one day of your travels around Australia? Though uploading to Alamy is probably the best and easiest way to get your images out to the world right now. My parents have a book by a photographer called Bill Bachman that's called Local Colour: Travels in the Other Australia. It's from the 1990s so all film and the images are depicting people, life and landscapes away from the cities and in many of the places that people don't often see. I'm sure you also have many images capturing the localities and people you've visited that would make a great book. I hope you get to stay here!

3 minutes ago, george said:

I have been feeling a little down the last couple of days, living alone and not having very good weather always make things seem worse. I was supposed to fly back to UK a couple of days ago but obviously cancelled so have missed staying with my daughter (who just turned 30, missed that), going to see my mum on her 84th birthday (today), she lives alone too, and seeing my son and other family members. But a friend rang my door bell a couple of hours ago and over the gate she handed me a bag. Inside was a book for me to read but most importantly a beautiful piece of beetroot cake with cream cheese icing from my favourite cake shop. I tried to take some pics but could not be bothered to get the right light and plate etc as just wanted to get stuck into it. mmmmmm, delish. happy now 

That's a lovely story George. We are all struggling with different things in the current situation, and then someone comes along with an act of kindness and it makes it all better. It is those small things that make the world go round! And I don't blame you for eating the beetroot cake before getting the right light to photograph it. I would have done the same. Cake is a great answer to feeling a bit down 👍

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I love your boobook story. Why wouldn't they dream too? 

This is our second Big Lap. During our trips, we have met lots of people who have been on the road for years. Our current neighbors have been travelling for 8 years. The next ones are on the road indefinitely while home schooling their twins. Once we met a family with 4 young kids on the road for a year. It's very common in Australia. The great outdoors are so awesome for adults and kids alike. Wildlife is not always easy to spot, we do have to slow down and take time to look for it. I just love Australia. I couldn't live anywhere else but Immigration might have other ideas... We'll see.

9 minutes ago, Sally R said:

That sounds wonderful Gen. Perhaps you could do a book one day of your travels around Australia? Though uploading to Alamy is probably the best and easiest way to get your images out to the world right now. My parents have a book by a photographer called Bill Bachman that's called Local Colour: Travels in the Other Australia. It's from the 1990s so all film and the images are depicting people, life and landscapes away from the cities and in many of the places that people don't often see. I'm sure you also have many images capturing the localities and people you've visited that would make a great book. I hope you get to stay here!

Hi Gen,

Having just mentioned Bill Bachman to you with regard to his photos taken travelling around Australia, I just found that he has images on Alamy, in case they are of interest...

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pseudoid={36B520F6-2A87-49B0-AFCD-220A419ED6A9}&name=Bill%2bBachman&st=11&mode=0&comp=1

3 hours ago, george said:

Yes, little things can be very pleasing.

I’ve moaned for years about how tough the beef roasts are the past 15 years or so. Not enough marbling. Used to, I could buy a cheap chuck roast, bake it until it was fall-apart tender. No more.

I ordered a roast in a pickup order the other day.  I have one of those very heavy ceramic-lined Lodge brand dutch oven pans. I seasoned and browned the roast that had no marbling. Added a bit of water with 2 beef bouillon cubes. Baked it 3 1/2 hours at 300 degrees, and it was so tender. I added onion, garlic, carrots and potatoes the last hour and a bit. And the gravy from the drippings...mmmm.

Surprising how happy it made me to finally fix a tender roast. I think it was the low heat that did it. I usually bake at 350.

Betty

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Delays! Delays!  Don't talk to me about delays. My Alamy account has come to a dead stop, nothing working, no progress, uploads stuck in QC, no replies to emails, no views, no zooms, no sales, no payments.  Is there anything I have left out?

Seems like I am on an Alamy holiday just at the time I need something to keep me interested. Yes I can play about with images in LR but that is paling in significance.

Allan

That’s horrible. 😢

12 hours ago, Sally R said:

Hi Gen,

Having just mentioned Bill Bachman to you with regard to his photos taken travelling around Australia, I just found that he has images on Alamy, in case they are of interest...

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pseudoid={36B520F6-2A87-49B0-AFCD-220A419ED6A9}&name=Bill%2bBachman&st=11&mode=0&comp=1

I just love his portfolio. He's really good at portraying people from the Outback and Aboriginal people. I'm not very good at portraiture.

I don't think I have his book but I have numerous coffee table ones on Australia. I'm a sucker for books.

I did a few Blurb books myself, just for myself. If you're interested here are some: 

Australia

Cairns where I was based the last year and a half or so

Australian Seascapes

Gibb River Road

You can preview them by turning the pages.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

I did a few Blurb books myself, just for myself. If you're interested here are some: 

Australia

Cairns where I was based the last year and a half or so

Australian Seascapes

Gibb River Road

You can preview them by turning the pages.

Wow, those are absolutely beautiful Gen! What a wonderful thing to do, and would have been so much creative fun matching images to go together around themes for different pages.

I recognise a few places I have been, such as what I think is Lake Dobson in Mt Field National Park in Tasmania. I remember being completely enchanted by the mountain plants there including the pandani and different types of berries. I'd not seen a landscape like that before. I liked seeing your Lake Ballard pictures too. We took my Dad up there in 2013 as he was born and grew up just north of there and we went to visit his home town of Gwalia (next to Leonora). I want to go back there and to so many other places. Your images inspire me to do much more travel across Australia!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sally R said:

I liked seeing your Lake Ballard pictures too. We took my Dad up there in 2013 as he was born and grew up just north of there and we went to visit his home town of Gwalia (next to Leonora). I want to go back there and to so many other places. Your images inspire me to do much more travel across Australia!

Our trip to Lake Ballard was one of those golden memories. We were the only ones camping there right by the side of the salt pan, in the red sand dunes. In the evening, we saw a storm approaching. The sky turned black and it got very windy. We hastily took the awning in and hunkered down inside our campervan. Then all hell let loose. Torrential rain came down, forming streams running down from the sand dunes towards us. It lasted a while. Then the sky turned pitch black and lightning strokes were illuminating the lake. Foolishly but mesmerized, I set up my camera on tripod to photograph it but it was too windy. All I got was camera shake. 

The lake is a fabulous location. Unfortunately, shortly after we visited, someone stole one of the statues. As a result, there were talks of not allowing camping there any more. I don't believe it has happened yet but wouldn't be surprised. I want to visit again.

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, little things can be very pleasing.

I’ve moaned for years about how tough the beef roasts are the past 15 years or so. Not enough marbling. Used to, I could buy a cheap chuck roast, bake it until it was fall-apart tender. No more.

I ordered a roast in a pickup order the other day.  I have one of those very heavy ceramic-lined Lodge brand dutch oven pans. I seasoned and browned the roast that had no marbling. Added a bit of water with 2 beef bouillon cubes. Baked it 3 1/2 hours at 300 degrees, and it was so tender. I added onion, garlic, carrots and potatoes the last hour and a bit. And the gravy from the drippings...mmmm.

Surprising how happy it made me to finally fix a tender roast. I think it was the low heat that did it. I usually bake at 350.

Betty

That is why it is best to use a slow cooker. Low heat for a longer period. Jackie always said to me that you could obtain really tasty melt in the mouth meat from a poor cut of beef or any other meat that way.

I have a slow cooker but not used it yet and it is packed ready for the move to Lincoln, when it is allowed, so I am not getting it out again.

Ought to clarify you are talking in degrees Fahrenheit for those that might think you are talking Centigrade.

Allan

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

ready for the move to Lincoln, when it is allowed,

As I see it if you exchanged contracts before the lockdown you are allowed to move house.

Whether you could get anyone to do it is another matter.

Edited by spacecadet

31 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

As I see it if you exchanged contracts before the lockdown you are allowed to move house.

Whether you could get anyone to do it is another matter.

Where did you see that?

My move was booked (contracted) for the 1st April but when the lock down was announced I contacted my removal company and they said they were complying with the lock down instructions because they would not be able to maintain the social distancing rules. I can understand that as there would be two vans and four or five people to carry out the move.

Allan

There is another problem in that I was not taking beds with me and had ordered new to be delivered the day after the move but the bed company again are not delivering due to social distancing rules as there would be three people in the delivery lorry.

So if I can get the removal company to carry out their bit I would not have a bed for some time. Yes I could sleep on a camp bed and in a sleeping bag until the beds were delivered but at my time of life I like my comfort so thought I would stick it out where I am as there is a comfy bed to sleep in.  Then there are things like cupboards, dining table and chairs, lounge suite etc which I am going to have to get after I move and to achieve that the lock down would have to be lifted or partially lifted.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Where did you see that?

My move was booked (contracted) for the 1st April but when the lock down was announced I contacted my removal company and they said they were complying with the lock down instructions because they would not be able to maintain the social distancing rules. I can understand that as there would be two vans and four or five people to carry out the move.

Allan

There is another problem in that I was not taking beds with me and had ordered new to be delivered the day after the move but the bed company again are not delivering due to social distancing rules as there would be three people in the delivery lorry.

So if I can get the removal company to carry out their bit I would not have a bed for some time. Yes I could sleep on a camp bed and in a sleeping bag until the beds were delivered but at my time of life I like my comfort so thought I would stick it out where I am as there is a comfy bed to sleep in.  Then there are things like cupboards, dining table and chairs, lounge suite etc which I am going to have to get after I move and to achieve that the lock down would have to be lifted or partially lifted.

Allan

Essential maintenance of the household is one of the reasonable excuses for leaving home.

As I said you have to get someone to do it. If they can't they can't. But you are not legally prevented from moving house.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

"There is no need to pull out of transactions,"

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

Our trip to Lake Ballard was one of those golden memories. We were the only ones camping there right by the side of the salt pan, in the red sand dunes. In the evening, we saw a storm approaching. The sky turned black and it got very windy. We hastily took the awning in and hunkered down inside our campervan. Then all hell let loose. Torrential rain came down, forming streams running down from the sand dunes towards us. It lasted a while. Then the sky turned pitch black and lightning strokes were illuminating the lake. Foolishly but mesmerized, I set up my camera on tripod to photograph it but it was too windy. All I got was camera shake. 

The lake is a fabulous location. Unfortunately, shortly after we visited, someone stole one of the statues. As a result, there were talks of not allowing camping there any more. I don't believe it has happened yet but wouldn't be surprised. I want to visit again.

It would be just amazing to camp out there (even if a bit wild with the storm). We were only there for about an hour on our way to Leonora, not nearly long enough. It is a shame about the statue. I saw a documentary about the making of them and how Antony Gormley used the bodies of locals to construct the sculptures. We were there on a clear sunny day, so the deep blue sky and red earth made a great contrast. I have some images though not sure if they're good enough to upload to Alamy, but will have another look at them.

54 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Essential maintenance of the household is one of the reasonable excuses for leaving home.

As I said you have to get someone to do it. If they can't they can't. But you are not legally prevented from moving house.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

"There is no need to pull out of transactions,"

Thank you for that information.

Allan

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you for that information.

Allan

A bit theoretical I guess. It's not as if you can get a handcart and do it yourself.:blink:

Just now, spacecadet said:

A bit theoretical I guess. It's not as if you can get a handcart and do it yourself.:blink:

I was thinking at one stage of hiring a van and doing it in a few trips myself. With maybe a bit of help at each end with the bulky/heavier stuff. The helper would not travel with me they would be existing and new neighbours. One at each end.

Hiring companies say they cannot let me have a van because I am over the age limit that their insurers will accept.🥴

Allan

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I was thinking at one stage of hiring a van and doing it in a few trips myself. With maybe a bit of help at each end with the bulky/heavier stuff. The helper would not travel with me they would be existing and new neighbours. One at each end.

Hiring companies say they cannot let me have a van because I am over the age limit that their insurers will accept.🥴

Allan

Bummer. You need a volunteer to do the driving then- you're in the age category, the law says they can do it.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Bummer. You need a volunteer to do the driving then- you're in the age category, the law says they can do it.

It is an idea.

Allan

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Allan, if you do end up being able to move and can't get a bed right away, you might want to get an air mattress. We have a double bed, double height Coleman air mattress that we use for guests - we used it when our daughter took our old bed when she got her first apartment, and we were waiting for our new bed to arrive and it was extremely comfortable - and we both have had back issues. We used it again set up by our roaring fireplace when we lost heat and power after Hurricane Sandy. And any guests who've used it have remarked on how comfy it is - much better than a sleep sofa. It rolls up to about the size of a sleeping bag, and you need a small electric pump to blow it up - fairly inexpensive, and both easy to store and easy to travel with, -We sed to take it on visits to our daughter before she had a home with a guest room. 

Maybe that's what you are calling a "camp bed:" - The key is to get the double height bed - we had a single height one and it's very uncomfortable but we've used the double height one comfortably for weeks at a time. 

3 hours ago, Marianne said:

Allan, if you do end up being able to move and can't get a bed right away, you might want to get an air mattress. We have a double bed, double height Coleman air mattress that we use for guests - we used it when our daughter took our old bed when she got her first apartment, and we were waiting for our new bed to arrive and it was extremely comfortable - and we both have had back issues. We used it again set up by our roaring fireplace when we lost heat and power after Hurricane Sandy. And any guests who've used it have remarked on how comfy it is - much better than a sleep sofa. It rolls up to about the size of a sleeping bag, and you need a small electric pump to blow it up - fairly inexpensive, and both easy to store and easy to travel with, -We sed to take it on visits to our daughter before she had a home with a guest room. 

Maybe that's what you are calling a "camp bed:" - The key is to get the double height bed - we had a single height one and it's very uncomfortable but we've used the double height one comfortably for weeks at a time. 

Great idea, Marianne. They beat a camp cot for sure, and they come in several sizes. I’ve slept on them.

Allan, over my frustrated years I tried my slow cooker, and about a year ago, I got an Instant Pot which is pressurized cooking.  The latter got me close to the tenderness I wanted, but no cigar. (I’m a hard taskmaster when it comes to cooking). The Lodge dutch oven was superior. The thing is so heavy I can barely lift it empty. It’s a real chore loaded with food.

Today was good and it was bad. I set off to two plant nurseries, masked up and keeping social distance. I found the Swamp milkweed I wanted, and another variety. I wanted Joe-Pye weed but the place I bought the milkweed only had the “chocolate Joe-Pye”. So I went to the other nursery because when I called them, they said they had the kind I wanted. Well....they didn’t. 
I come home with no Joe-Pye weed and realize I’d laid my reading glasses down at one of the nurseries. I drove to the nearest one, they’d not been turned in. So...back to the one 10 miles away. My glasses were waiting by the register. I went ahead and bought two of the chocolate Joe-Pye while there.

it was breezy today. I’m just in from trying to ready the planting bed and made my allergies and asthma flare. Too much pollen flying around. 
But I have my plants and I found my glasses. Sure could use a strong back, because what I’ve yet to dig out of the heavy clay planting bed is almost beyond me.

Betty

• Like 1

A good thing today: I witnessed and photographed a crow feeding a Channel-billed Cuckoo. It still amazes me that a different bird specie can be fooled to be a parent to sometimes a hugely bigger baby than them. Furthermore, a cuckoo hardly resembles a crow. And a crow is a very intelligent problem-solving bird.

11 hours ago, Marianne said:

Hi Marianne, Thanks for your thoughts.  A camp bed uses a frame with a canvas stretched across the width and length to keep you off the floor/ground.  I bought a camp bed two reasons. I have used airbeds in the past and have found that by morning I am lying on the ground, the airbed having deflated during the night. The second reason is the camp beds are generally higher up off the ground and easier to get on and off.   However if the worst comes to the worst I will bite the bullet and get a double height air bed. I have seen airbeds in the stores with built-in pumps and not a bad price either.

Allan

• Like 1