Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Sally R said:

I liked seeing your Lake Ballard pictures too. We took my Dad up there in 2013 as he was born and grew up just north of there and we went to visit his home town of Gwalia (next to Leonora). I want to go back there and to so many other places. Your images inspire me to do much more travel across Australia!

Our trip to Lake Ballard was one of those golden memories. We were the only ones camping there right by the side of the salt pan, in the red sand dunes. In the evening, we saw a storm approaching. The sky turned black and it got very windy. We hastily took the awning in and hunkered down inside our campervan. Then all hell let loose. Torrential rain came down, forming streams running down from the sand dunes towards us. It lasted a while. Then the sky turned pitch black and lightning strokes were illuminating the lake. Foolishly but mesmerized, I set up my camera on tripod to photograph it but it was too windy. All I got was camera shake. 

The lake is a fabulous location. Unfortunately, shortly after we visited, someone stole one of the statues. As a result, there were talks of not allowing camping there any more. I don't believe it has happened yet but wouldn't be surprised. I want to visit again.

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, little things can be very pleasing.

I’ve moaned for years about how tough the beef roasts are the past 15 years or so. Not enough marbling. Used to, I could buy a cheap chuck roast, bake it until it was fall-apart tender. No more.

I ordered a roast in a pickup order the other day.  I have one of those very heavy ceramic-lined Lodge brand dutch oven pans. I seasoned and browned the roast that had no marbling. Added a bit of water with 2 beef bouillon cubes. Baked it 3 1/2 hours at 300 degrees, and it was so tender. I added onion, garlic, carrots and potatoes the last hour and a bit. And the gravy from the drippings...mmmm.

Surprising how happy it made me to finally fix a tender roast. I think it was the low heat that did it. I usually bake at 350.

Betty

That is why it is best to use a slow cooker. Low heat for a longer period. Jackie always said to me that you could obtain really tasty melt in the mouth meat from a poor cut of beef or any other meat that way.

I have a slow cooker but not used it yet and it is packed ready for the move to Lincoln, when it is allowed, so I am not getting it out again.

Ought to clarify you are talking in degrees Fahrenheit for those that might think you are talking Centigrade.

Allan

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

ready for the move to Lincoln, when it is allowed,

As I see it if you exchanged contracts before the lockdown you are allowed to move house.

Whether you could get anyone to do it is another matter.

Edited by spacecadet

31 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

As I see it if you exchanged contracts before the lockdown you are allowed to move house.

Whether you could get anyone to do it is another matter.

Where did you see that?

My move was booked (contracted) for the 1st April but when the lock down was announced I contacted my removal company and they said they were complying with the lock down instructions because they would not be able to maintain the social distancing rules. I can understand that as there would be two vans and four or five people to carry out the move.

Allan

There is another problem in that I was not taking beds with me and had ordered new to be delivered the day after the move but the bed company again are not delivering due to social distancing rules as there would be three people in the delivery lorry.

So if I can get the removal company to carry out their bit I would not have a bed for some time. Yes I could sleep on a camp bed and in a sleeping bag until the beds were delivered but at my time of life I like my comfort so thought I would stick it out where I am as there is a comfy bed to sleep in.  Then there are things like cupboards, dining table and chairs, lounge suite etc which I am going to have to get after I move and to achieve that the lock down would have to be lifted or partially lifted.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Where did you see that?

My move was booked (contracted) for the 1st April but when the lock down was announced I contacted my removal company and they said they were complying with the lock down instructions because they would not be able to maintain the social distancing rules. I can understand that as there would be two vans and four or five people to carry out the move.

Allan

There is another problem in that I was not taking beds with me and had ordered new to be delivered the day after the move but the bed company again are not delivering due to social distancing rules as there would be three people in the delivery lorry.

So if I can get the removal company to carry out their bit I would not have a bed for some time. Yes I could sleep on a camp bed and in a sleeping bag until the beds were delivered but at my time of life I like my comfort so thought I would stick it out where I am as there is a comfy bed to sleep in.  Then there are things like cupboards, dining table and chairs, lounge suite etc which I am going to have to get after I move and to achieve that the lock down would have to be lifted or partially lifted.

Allan

Essential maintenance of the household is one of the reasonable excuses for leaving home.

As I said you have to get someone to do it. If they can't they can't. But you are not legally prevented from moving house.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

"There is no need to pull out of transactions,"

54 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Essential maintenance of the household is one of the reasonable excuses for leaving home.

As I said you have to get someone to do it. If they can't they can't. But you are not legally prevented from moving house.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

"There is no need to pull out of transactions,"

Thank you for that information.

Allan

Just now, spacecadet said:

A bit theoretical I guess. It's not as if you can get a handcart and do it yourself.:blink:

I was thinking at one stage of hiring a van and doing it in a few trips myself. With maybe a bit of help at each end with the bulky/heavier stuff. The helper would not travel with me they would be existing and new neighbours. One at each end.

Hiring companies say they cannot let me have a van because I am over the age limit that their insurers will accept.🥴

Allan

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I was thinking at one stage of hiring a van and doing it in a few trips myself. With maybe a bit of help at each end with the bulky/heavier stuff. The helper would not travel with me they would be existing and new neighbours. One at each end.

Hiring companies say they cannot let me have a van because I am over the age limit that their insurers will accept.🥴

Allan

Bummer. You need a volunteer to do the driving then- you're in the age category, the law says they can do it.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Bummer. You need a volunteer to do the driving then- you're in the age category, the law says they can do it.

It is an idea.

Allan

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Allan, if you do end up being able to move and can't get a bed right away, you might want to get an air mattress. We have a double bed, double height Coleman air mattress that we use for guests - we used it when our daughter took our old bed when she got her first apartment, and we were waiting for our new bed to arrive and it was extremely comfortable - and we both have had back issues. We used it again set up by our roaring fireplace when we lost heat and power after Hurricane Sandy. And any guests who've used it have remarked on how comfy it is - much better than a sleep sofa. It rolls up to about the size of a sleeping bag, and you need a small electric pump to blow it up - fairly inexpensive, and both easy to store and easy to travel with, -We sed to take it on visits to our daughter before she had a home with a guest room. 

Maybe that's what you are calling a "camp bed:" - The key is to get the double height bed - we had a single height one and it's very uncomfortable but we've used the double height one comfortably for weeks at a time. 

3 hours ago, Marianne said:

Allan, if you do end up being able to move and can't get a bed right away, you might want to get an air mattress. We have a double bed, double height Coleman air mattress that we use for guests - we used it when our daughter took our old bed when she got her first apartment, and we were waiting for our new bed to arrive and it was extremely comfortable - and we both have had back issues. We used it again set up by our roaring fireplace when we lost heat and power after Hurricane Sandy. And any guests who've used it have remarked on how comfy it is - much better than a sleep sofa. It rolls up to about the size of a sleeping bag, and you need a small electric pump to blow it up - fairly inexpensive, and both easy to store and easy to travel with, -We sed to take it on visits to our daughter before she had a home with a guest room. 

Maybe that's what you are calling a "camp bed:" - The key is to get the double height bed - we had a single height one and it's very uncomfortable but we've used the double height one comfortably for weeks at a time. 

Great idea, Marianne. They beat a camp cot for sure, and they come in several sizes. I’ve slept on them.

Allan, over my frustrated years I tried my slow cooker, and about a year ago, I got an Instant Pot which is pressurized cooking.  The latter got me close to the tenderness I wanted, but no cigar. (I’m a hard taskmaster when it comes to cooking). The Lodge dutch oven was superior. The thing is so heavy I can barely lift it empty. It’s a real chore loaded with food.

Today was good and it was bad. I set off to two plant nurseries, masked up and keeping social distance. I found the Swamp milkweed I wanted, and another variety. I wanted Joe-Pye weed but the place I bought the milkweed only had the “chocolate Joe-Pye”. So I went to the other nursery because when I called them, they said they had the kind I wanted. Well....they didn’t. 
I come home with no Joe-Pye weed and realize I’d laid my reading glasses down at one of the nurseries. I drove to the nearest one, they’d not been turned in. So...back to the one 10 miles away. My glasses were waiting by the register. I went ahead and bought two of the chocolate Joe-Pye while there.

it was breezy today. I’m just in from trying to ready the planting bed and made my allergies and asthma flare. Too much pollen flying around. 
But I have my plants and I found my glasses. Sure could use a strong back, because what I’ve yet to dig out of the heavy clay planting bed is almost beyond me.

Betty

• Love 1

A good thing today: I witnessed and photographed a crow feeding a Channel-billed Cuckoo. It still amazes me that a different bird specie can be fooled to be a parent to sometimes a hugely bigger baby than them. Furthermore, a cuckoo hardly resembles a crow. And a crow is a very intelligent problem-solving bird.

11 hours ago, Marianne said:

Hi Marianne, Thanks for your thoughts.  A camp bed uses a frame with a canvas stretched across the width and length to keep you off the floor/ground.  I bought a camp bed two reasons. I have used airbeds in the past and have found that by morning I am lying on the ground, the airbed having deflated during the night. The second reason is the camp beds are generally higher up off the ground and easier to get on and off.   However if the worst comes to the worst I will bite the bullet and get a double height air bed. I have seen airbeds in the stores with built-in pumps and not a bad price either.

Allan

• Love 1

18 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you for that information.

Allan

Allan,  friends of ours moved a couple of weeks ago with no problems. They had to pack everything before hand and label which room it would go in, then leave the house before the removal company arrived. At the new house everything was moved in for them and they could go in after the removers had left.

20 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

However if the worst comes to the worst I will bite the bullet and get a double height air bed. I have seen airbeds in the stores with built-in pumps and not a bad price either.

Allan

Allan, i purchased one of the double height airbeds with a built in pump. Have to say it is great and very comfortable. I slept on it for 6 months, and when I have visitors I happily give up my bed for them and use the airbed myself. The only time I had a problem was when I did not turn the deflate/inflate dial enough after inflating (it has to go to the middle or something) and air was slowly leaking out so by morning it had lost its firmness.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Great idea, Marianne. They beat a camp cot for sure, and they come in several sizes. I’ve slept on them.

Allan, over my frustrated years I tried my slow cooker, and about a year ago, I got an Instant Pot which is pressurized cooking.  The latter got me close to the tenderness I wanted, but no cigar. (I’m a hard taskmaster when it comes to cooking). The Lodge dutch oven was superior. The thing is so heavy I can barely lift it empty. It’s a real chore loaded with food.

Today was good and it was bad. I set off to two plant nurseries, masked up and keeping social distance. I found the Swamp milkweed I wanted, and another variety. I wanted Joe-Pye weed but the place I bought the milkweed only had the “chocolate Joe-Pye”. So I went to the other nursery because when I called them, they said they had the kind I wanted. Well....they didn’t. 
I come home with no Joe-Pye weed and realize I’d laid my reading glasses down at one of the nurseries. I drove to the nearest one, they’d not been turned in. So...back to the one 10 miles away. My glasses were waiting by the register. I went ahead and bought two of the chocolate Joe-Pye while there.

it was breezy today. I’m just in from trying to ready the planting bed and made my allergies and asthma flare. Too much pollen flying around. 
But I have my plants and I found my glasses. Sure could use a strong back, because what I’ve yet to dig out of the heavy clay planting bed is almost beyond me.

Betty

Hi Betty, I do not like pressure cookers (instant pot, if that is what you are meaning) but what we used to use a lot is a RÖMERTOPF, (pronounced Rummertoff). It is an unglazed porous  earthenware casserole pot with lid of the same material. They come in different sizes. How to use it?  First soak it in cold water for 15 minutes, place your meat and/or whatever in the pot then place the pot in a COLD oven, cook at 200c (400f) for 1 hour.

I won't go into it any further but look it up and you will find instructions on the web on using one and cleaning/storing it.

Allan

PS : Keep your mask on when woking in the garden to keep the pollen at bay.😷

ITMA

17 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Allan,  friends of ours moved a couple of weeks ago with no problems. They had to pack everything before hand and label which room it would go in, then leave the house before the removal company arrived. At the new house everything was moved in for them and they could go in after the removers had left.

Thanks for the information. I will have a word with my contracted removal company.

Allan

16 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I have used airbeds in the past and have found that by morning I am lying on the ground, the airbed having deflated during the night. 

Long ago I have camped, sleeping on either foam mats or airbeds with no problems, but not for at least 15 years. The year after last I camped for 3 nights on a sloping hillside in Dorset while photographing the Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival, the air bed was hell. Photography and weather was good though, plus beer and wifi at the local pub.

6 minutes ago, george said:

Allan, i purchased one of the double height airbeds with a built in pump. Have to say it is great and very comfortable. I slept on it for 6 months, and when I have visitors I happily give up my bed for them and use the airbed myself. The only time I had a problem was when I did not turn the deflate/inflate dial enough after inflating (it has to go to the middle or something) and air was slowly leaking out so by morning it had lost its firmness.

Thank you George.

Allan

33 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Marianne, Thanks for your thoughts.  A camp bed uses a frame with a canvas stretched across the width and length to keep you off the floor/ground.  I bought a camp bed two reasons. I have used airbeds in the past and have found that by morning I am lying on the ground, the airbed having deflated during the night. The second reason is the camp beds are generally higher up off the ground and easier to get on and off.   However if the worst comes to the worst I will bite the bullet and get a double height air bed. I have seen airbeds in the stores with built-in pumps and not a bad price either.

Allan

Campingaz is a good make

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campingaz-Quickbed-Single-Airbed-2-Year-Warranty-2020-Stock/223166691071?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item33f5c576ff:g:-b4AAOSwsyNec2g8&enc=AQAEAAACcIQvEcHUrT7nmUC3yY5qbPyaBN1nJEDYW8MyypsJPgXKy5QCKmmXtR1khE%2F9fH98liufWgYjZ4Ovem4UsOmIqbpah%2BuFJ2Q%2Fk5xUyp5YMY77xR0LMqIdYQR%2BqF%2BovLmaBrv0z2160zev%2FPGE4fkSfWBafZ%2BMMlO5wDhTBO6VC6A3Fs%2F1ynnDI9CP1iD0PvOBdIbofNVwLiouRR%2FqbCF8DgFt5QShCN6fptMWwd9y17QnoYQiD8xHIXvTepas0j9BQSdpN4Ahxy0XxvgPxEfYrBLMVSQkPx5BZboirrEISR4dpKe%2Bg1dNtFu8qH4d0QnYvKcWRnKn%2Bh2ZkC6hKf%2BiZmjseLMU%2FxWfIpCeUyR7aon2p1rk2JYZezovXWofkHa2G6csJvcsbWXEnG81FkR9EdtqQHiUHfR3J9LSm8B%2FLfl4IFVd3tNh%2B21vvO9mx6mQ%2Bct9k3QsX4buNgmhuia3qKmk4aJPAFp5D4VfRfgeEVYS%2BcjctOE7tTe6FJBY%2FOH3nzy1aXN%2F4ox7JtpiuZY2TVKvJcIrL%2BygR20jmTqDx7X2KbV595vBy09O8AMWGRRn1MdAx0EFoY7bhLN8rc4JnVarbjGLP%2BrGvKCl5FEwgoHy4TXBgpxtgHk1ji%2BmV5jBrMXbo%2Bv8vnfuxTO7%2FSd93Z%2FNfhrh1V3QAe%2BS8lcn8PV%2BK0qrreXTQTXZQ%2FmHoRK0D4mQBkcxzo46BCMFN1G6Vrh2qQ4SCfll9yB25uxrOG5vOS1NpRo%2BSUhEYv1DxAfHpjBaeEpRc5kl7NCmpdo3FiudnxjXCfipd7tioH7M1wtxmFJULDfC7m0aGaP4mMOsPA%3D%3D&checksum=223166691071766d9c0c5a34498380455618671a5750

but you do need a pump unless you have the lungs of a fishwife.

Our current one now has a bit of a leak but it's lasted about 8 years of twice-a-years camping trips. You could put it on top of the camp bed- really comfy. We put it in a duvet cover to protect it as it did get a couple of punctures, but it gets moved around a lot and I guess yours wouldn't.

Edited by spacecadet

1 minute ago, sb photos said:

Long ago I have camped, sleeping on either foam mats or airbeds with no problems, but not for at least 15 years. The year after last I camped for 3 nights on a sloping hillside in Dorset while photographing the Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival, the air bed was hell. Photography and weather was good though, plus beer and wifi at the local pub.

Oh dear!

Allan

3 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Perhaps you need a new one.

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Campingaz is a good make

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campingaz-Quickbed-Double-Airbed-205481-BNIB-Great-Camping-Guests-Garden/153473831833

they come in a single as well, under £20, but you do need a pump unless you have the lungs of a fishwife.

Our current one now has a bit of a leak but it's lasted about 8 years of twice-a-years camping trips. You could put it on top of the camp bed- really comfy. We put it in a duvet cover to protect it as it did get a couple of punctures, but it gets moved around a lot and I guess yours wouldn't.

Thanks for the link and information.

Allan

• Like 1

OK! I have made my decision.  I will wait out this latest three week lock down, which ends around 6th May, and see what the government have to say on the matter, after taking advice from the so called experts.

It is not that long to wait and would be safer all round. I would hate to think that someone contracted Covid 19 while on a job for me.

Allan

• Love 2

• Alamy locked this topic