16 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

The original analogue signal has to be encoded before transmission then has to be decoded in the receiver, so there is a slight delay in transmission, then another while your radio is doing it's stuff.  Also depends on the processor inside the receiver - some are faster than others.

Apparently, Classic FM delays the FM signal to bring it more in sync with the DAB signal.  I didn't know that until I followed this link...

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/advice/faqs/default.asp?search=Products&id=15

Thanks for that information and the link.

Allan

Doc, thanks for a World Radio connection. Interesting to Mowgli around on. I have a number of others:  https://www.radio-uk.co.uk

Understand that when I publish a new blog it's what's going on at that moment; things seem to be changing everyday with radio, WiFi, my building. . . .

• Like 1
On 29/09/2020 at 11:39, Ed Rooney said:

things seem to be changing everyday

And now Liverpool is going into semi-lockdown. Inconvenient... or a photo opportunity... or maybe both. Stay safe, Edo...

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good blog again Edo. Sorry to hear that you are still considering yourself a nomad as I thought from earlier posts you sounded as though you were settled. I mean you seemed pleased to be able to access all the amenities you needed and life seemed easier than your time in Spain at least. Yes the weather is not too good but it is changing the world over so there is no place which is going to escape that. At the moment I am writing this in lovely sunshine and blue skies. But it will most likely be wet and windy this afternoon.

I have read what you wanted out of a settled life in the past posts while you were gallivanting around the globe after losing you abode in NYC and sorry you have not achieved what you wished for yourself yet.

I know it is a personal thing and only you will know when you are settled but, would you like to post you updated wish list here and see if your on-line friends can help out.

Help this ignorant friend out and tell me what a brown cafe in Amsterdam is please.

Allan

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Allan, because my circumstances have changed almost daily in these last 7 months, my position has had to change too. What I think today is not what I will think tomorrow. 

Ah, the brown cafes. I'm going to let Wim or one of our other Dutch forum members answer that one. 

Maybe Wim is in the States, so:

"Brown cafes are traditional Amsterdam bars/cafes. The name comes from their dark, cozy interiors with lots of wood made darker by years of cigarette smoke." 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Thanks 2

Good morning to you Edo (I had to look Bon dia, tots up 😀 )

Enjoyed your blog as always.  Like Allan, I thought you would feel settled in Liverpool.  It seemed to fit all your needs.  It would have been so much better, if this bloody virus hadn't arrived.  Liverpool is such a vibrant place in normal times.  I doubt there's anywhere in the World that's perfect at the moment.   I live in the lovely city of Canterbury but it's changed beyond recognition.  We have a population of around 50,000 residents and over 50,000 students.  It's estimated 30,000 freshers arrived 2 weeks ago.  One of the universities already has a Covid outbreak and now staff at Wetherspoons are positive.  Being over 70, I can't safely enter my own home town even though I only live 5 minutes walk away.  Residents have lost their city.
I hope you find happiness and settle soon Edo.

John

John, no one anywhere feels settled or safe, because they're not. And I'm not looking for perfection. 

Today was spent trying to get a flu jab. I had a letter from my NHS office and spent an hour on the phone Friday waiting for them to pick up and give me my slot time for the jab. My slot, I was told, was 1:25PM today. I got there early. The building was shut, no one there, no one answering any of the bells. A nice Italian man (a doctor who works for the NHS) was also outside for his jab and asking me questions about what I thought was going on. So more confusion and no flu shot. 

The politicos keep saying they don't want the NHS to be overrun. This situation looks as they are overrun. At 86 with both hay fever and cough-variant asthma, if I get Covid-19 I'm dead. In fact, getting the flu might kill me. 

"We're all in this together," they keep saying. Sadly, that means we're all in trouble.

Edo

• Sad 1
Posted (edited)

'Bon dia, tots' means 'good morning, all' in Catalan, the language spoken in Mallorca, where I once lived for 3 to 4 months. The view in the blue dusk image was taken from my terrace. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

We're all strangers in a strange land now, Edo.  It sounds as if you've found a relatively good port in which to ride out the storm. Some lands are stranger than others.

• Like 2

Okay, I owe my NHS clinic an apology. It seems that Brownlow Health has more than one location. I went to the one I usually go to. The other one is where they were giving the flu jabs. I'll have to call them and book again. I hope they don't say:

"No no, you dumb Yank! We don't rebook—drop dead from flu!"

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On the subject of flu jabs.

Booked in for a shingles jab at our local surgery (free if you are over 70) having previously arranged for a flu jab on a different, later,  occasion. Turned up for the shingles injection when the nurse asked if I would also like a flu jab. I explained that I was booked in for that on another day, but she said that was OK and she would sort it. I had a jab in each arm. My wife was outside (guarding our bikes) and I mentioned that she was also waiting for a prebooked flu jab.  No problem we can do that now.

Great service, very happy. 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

John, no one anywhere feels settled or safe, because they're not. And I'm not looking for perfection. 

Today was spent trying to get a flu jab. I had a letter from my NHS office and spent an hour on the phone Friday waiting for them to pick up and give me my slot time for the jab. My slot, I was told, was 1:25PM today. I got there early. The building was shut, no one there, no one answering any of the bells. A nice Italian man (a doctor who works for the NHS) was also outside for his jab and asking me questions about what I thought was going on. So more confusion and no flu shot. 

The politicos keep saying they don't want the NHS to be overrun. This situation looks as they are overrun. At 86 with both hay fever and cough-variant asthma, if I get Covid-19 I'm dead. In fact, getting the flu might kill me. 

"We're all in this together," they keep saying. Sadly, that means we're all in trouble.

Edo

An hour on the phone?  That's the VIP treatment! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

On the subject of flu jabs.

Booked in for a shingles jab at our local surgery (free if you are over 70) having previously arranged for a flu jab on a different, later,  occasion. Turned up for the shingles injection when the nurse asked if I would also like a flu jab. I explained that I was booked in for that on another day, but she said that was OK and she would sort it. I had a jab in each arm. My wife was outside (guarding our bikes) and I mentioned that she was also waiting for a prebooked flu jab.  No problem we can do that now.

Great service, very happy. 🙂

I tried to get a shingles shot last year, but I'm now too old to have one, according to the NHS. So when I have a spare minute, I worry about shingles. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Sad 2
15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I tried to get a shingles shot last year, but I'm now too old, according to the NHS, to have one. So when I have a spare minute, I worry about shingles. 

That's odd. In Canada, there is no upper age limit for shingles shots as far as I know. However, the vaccine isn't free (yet).

You can just walk into a pharmacy here and get your free flu shot. Don't know if that's the case in the UK.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

You can just walk into a pharmacy here and get your free flu shot. Don't know if that's the case in the UK.

That's true in NYC too, John. Not here. Last year, before the pandemic, the NHS had everything working great with jabs and blood tests. In Seville, I could not get a flu shot. They had no vaccine available. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

That's odd. In Canada, there is no upper age limit for shingles shots as far as I know. However, the vaccine isn't free (yet).

Don't know about just walk in, but  pharmacies here also offer the free NHS shot.

Posted (edited)

Can we? Wow, didn't know that. But maybe that's not the case now with the virus. I'll check tomorrow.

I had new glasses done at the main Boots here, and they were fabulous. I mean the tests and the service . . . and the price. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Don't know about just walk in, but  pharmacies here also offer the free NHS shot.

During the height of the flu season here, "greeters" in some pharmacies wait at the door asking you if you've had a flu shot yet. I've even been chased around the store by over-eager employees. At least they weren't waving needles. 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Yes, my pharmacy phoned me up to ask if I wanted a flu jab.

Date and time arranged and everything was fine.

John.

• Like 1

I can walk into Walmart, Or Walgreens, or CVS, go to the pharmacy area and get my free flu shot. I will be doing that this coming week. I’ll just need to fill out a paper, provide my cards, and get it. No scheduling. Last year, 10 minutes, in and out.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I tried to get a shingles shot last year, but I'm now too old to have one, according to the NHS. So when I have a spare minute, I worry about shingles. 

I've only ever known one person who had shingles, and that was back in the early 1980's, so it can't be that common, I wouldn't worry about it.

50 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I've only ever known one person who had shingles, and that was back in the early 1980's, so it can't be that common, I wouldn't worry about it.

I caught it a few years back here in Oz, God knows how. I'm usually very healthy. It was a total mystery. It did leave me flat on my back for a few days. Even lifting a finger was an effort. Not like me at all.