Stranger in a Strange Land

Back in the days of film, I had a lot of kit. One day I realised I could do 95% of my work with a Canon F1 body, a power winder, my 24mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 lenses. So I bought a nice little bag and stuck to that most of the time. Too late, i'ld already knackered my left shoulder. In the digital age I have something similar but smaller housed in a mini backpack. This summer, I've hardly left the village except for outings to the seaside avoiding the popular beaches. We have only one village pub open which attracts all those loud louts which works well for me as I top up my home glass of Shiraz or Famous Grouse. The frequent trips to the bottle bank have to be made under cover of darkness. Never had a pet gull, but there once was a crow who went for walks sitting on my shoulder some of the time.

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Love 1

Robert, I worked with that combo a lot—24, 85, MD-12 winder, on a Nikon—but then went back to the 105 and 135. I tend to stay away from the long end of the RX100/6 and RX10, but the 24 to about 120 is fine.

• Love 1

The gulls in Vancouver all look pretty well-fed if that's any consolation.

I didn't realize that gulls are an endangered species. Come to think of it, there don't seem to be nearly as many around as there were in the 70's when I moved here.

Now we're an endangered species as well...

Sadly, we are, John.

Where you are, seems to be the only area where they still have wild fish running. Across the water in Seattle, I've had the best wild salmon ever. Salmon here and in NYC is tasteless. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/entries/b7264d45-9048-4211-964f-ce06d899313d

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sadly, we are, John.

Where you are, seems to the only area where they still have wild fish running. Across the water in Seattle, I've had the best wild salmon ever. Salmon here and in NYC is tasteless. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/entries/b7264d45-9048-4211-964f-ce06d899313d

Our smoked salmon is OK, Ed, if you can get it sliced in a sandwich, or take some home. Trims are cheaper.

I accidentally baked something resembling foccacia the other day and it was great with some salmon and cream cheese.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

Yeah, Mark—but smoked salmon is whole different world from fresh grilled salmon. I sometimes have smoked with my breakfast-for-lunch at the Dale Street Kitchen. (And I lived near Zabar's in NYC.)

WJ18XD.jpg

Hey, I think I'll go up there tomorrow.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yikes!  😲

Yep.  The amount of people I see walking around with their mask on their chin and they just don't realise.  Another classic is wearing the mask under the nose. 🤣

• Love 1

Apparently the virus enters the body through the eyes as well although that is not why I am wearing shades in my new profile pic though. I just like wearing them anyway even in bed (ok that last bit is fake news)

The really important thing to remember is that the main reason for wearing a mask is to protect others. Unless you are wearing a high grade surgical mask, they not not offer significant protection and they can give a false sense of security. 

Edited by MDM

Do you carry a handgun with that outfit, Michael? 

I gave up wearing sunglasses a long time ago; I can't judge subtle colours with them on. However, I do wear eyeglasses. If I walk around with the glasses, as well as the mask, the glasses get clouded up and I can't see. 

Understand that I avoid giving medical advice in my blog (any advise on anything); I report on what I see. I do not regurgitate opinions from the Internet. For myself, I always do the best I can to keep me and others safe. 

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Do you carry a handgun with that outfit, Michael? 

I gave up wearing sunglasses a long time ago; I can't judge subtle colours with them on. However, I do wear eyeglasses. If I walk around with the glasses, as well as the mask, the glasses get clouded up and I can't see. 

Understand that I avoid giving medical advice in my blog (any advise on anything); I report on what I see. I do not regurgitate opinions from the Internet. For myself, I always do the best I can to keep me and others safe. 

The only gun I have ever held in my life is a flashgun Edo . I did wear the full outfit into a post office recently when posting a parcel. It was useful in fact as I had told the guy behind the counter where to stuff his forms some years ago when he was rude to me (he was renowned for this). I had not been back there in years which was a bit inconvenient as whenever I wanted to post something I would have to drive a few miles away. He didn't bat an eyelid.  Next time I will try without the shades and gradually build up to a full reveal. 😎

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

If I walk around with the glasses, as well as the mask, the glasses get clouded up and I can't see. 

I have had only varying degrees of success not clouding my glasses when wearing a mask. Recently I've trialled taking my glasses off and readjusting the diopter adjustment, it worked well when in Somerset yesterday. Shame it wasn't a digital adjustment that could be stored in memories.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

If I walk around with the glasses, as well as the mask, the glasses get clouded up and I can't see. 

Ed

I don't know what type of mask you're wearing but the ones I use have a pliable strip at the top which enables the wearer to pinch the mask against the nose and thus prevents fogging. Your warm breath will not rise through and cloud the glasses. I too wear glasses and never have a problem

Edited by ReeRay

Hmm, I don't know that I've seen any of those, ReeRay. I've got a box of the common paper masks from Hong Kong. 

This is the stuff I carry around. Everyday, I try to do the best I can about the virus and all my issues. That will have to be enough. 

2C7HMYE.jpg

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hmm, I don't know that I've seen any of those, ReeRay. I've got a box of the common paper masks from Hong Kong. 

This is the stuff I carry around. Everyday, I try to do the best I can about the virus and all my issues. That will have to be enough. 

2C7HMYE.jpg

Ed

See if the broader white strip (bottom here) is pliable.

Still on the Ned Kelly folded bandana here. Or did he have the tin can? Make that Jesse James then. The law says "face covering". Still pretty unpleasant though- I'm dreading the 45+ minute trip up to town, and an airport- don't even think about it- four plus hours in a mask😮

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I keep masks and sanitiser in my car and my bag and camera bag when I take it out...

Much the same as you, but also in my 2 waterproofs and other jackets, also in both my shoulder bag and back pack. I never intend to be caught out without the essentials. I'm still using sanitiser I made myself in the early lockdown days when there were shortages.

• Like 1

Moved up from the "face covering" neck sleeve to masks when they became common in the shops.

Made my own sanitiser in the begining, still remember the knowing smile from the chemist when I asked for surgical spirit and aloe vera 😉

Still taking the view that I am only as safe as the people around me.

Stay safe kids.

19 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Still on the Ned Kelly folded bandana here. Or did he have the tin can? Make that Jesse James then. The law says "face covering". Still pretty unpleasant though- I'm dreading the 45+ minute trip up to town, and an airport- don't even think about it- four plus hours in a mask😮

"Face covering" is one of those phrases that, Oh I don't know! I mean a mask is a mask, call it a mask! I know it came into use when there was a shortage of masks but what next? Are trousers going to be called knee coverings!

😷😷

• Love 1