Stranger in a Strange Land

Many years ago I sported big long bushy sideboards and flares. I don't think it was ever a good look and I'm sure I had left it too late. Hands up another never viewer of the Kardashian show' No, I don't think I will be tempted by catch-up or re-run TV. I quite like some buskers but they are a rarity in Sudbury which is my nearest town

Listened to 2 buskers recently that impressed me. A woman playing blues/Jazz on a saxophone in Glastonbury town centre, and a older man outside St Albans museum last Saturday. Which reminds me must upload their pictures, the backlog is growing.

Nicaragua has mariachis, and sometimes, they're hired to show up at 3 or 4 a.m. to serenade someone on his or her birthday.  And one neighbor plays some kind of electronic keyboard, not well, but fortunately, not that often.  Buskers in the Anglo/Irish/US sense probably are more common in Managua,  or in Granada when the tourists are in season.  And we have traditional masked and costumed musicians who play in the streets at times.   And then brass bands accompany political and religion parades. 

Edo, I actually had tears in my eyes reading your blog. These items you left behind were so much part of what you loved. Part of every step of your life, what made you happy. Still, there is no bitterness. Kudos, I don't know how you do it. 

I initially went to Oz from the UK for 2 years. It was 8 years ago. I have about 50+ boxes in storage in UK plus furniture. And that was being selective. Admittedly, about 60% are my books. These I miss a lot. The rest? Lazyboys armchairs, comfy leather sofa, I wouldn't care. All my kitchen gadgets I miss to some extent but I can live without them. And I love cooking.

I sometimes think, who would want my stuff after I'm gone? The answer is: nobody. They meant something only to me. Old slides as well, an old tape of me visiting and dancing with a tribe in Brazil, that meant an awful lot . Now it's in my head, I can never lose it. So to some extent, I hear what you're saying.

As for slippers, I live barefoot. My feet are not lady like...

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/09/2020 at 09:50, Ed Rooney said:

I fooled around with a new mask. It seemed that I can make it fit a bit better but did not solve the problem. I have both hay fever (allergy 365 days a year) and cough-variant asthma. Not constantly but they visit me everyday. I see others walking around with a mask in place. It doesn't work for me. But I do stay away from others on the street. In most shops now, staff are behind shields and wearing face shields. 

Thanks for your tip. I see other types of masks for sale now. ???

I bought some cloth masks yesterday. The ones Disney is selling, 4 for 20 quid. They seem to cover my face better, fit better all around, and so far have not fogged up my glasses. Not perfect, but better for me so far.

Edo

Slippers are a serious subject if you live in a draughty old house with brick and stone floors like this place. Heavy slipper socks for fireside, damp proof for nipping out back to collect dog droppings, and something getting on for shoes to pop out the front door to buy a fish or two from the bloke who comes  'round in  van on a Tuesday morning. Jane took a dislike to one pair calling them pervert's slippers. Couldn't see it myself, but they had to go. Recycling an old pair of trainers isn't the greatest look, but, if it works for you, why not? Losing a set of long loved kitchen knives would be hard!

• Thanks 1

I must admit I am a slipper person. Working from home I put  them on when I get up and take them off when I go to bed! Only time I don’t wear them is when I go out. Or a customer is picking up a print and even then I often forget to put on shoes!!

• Thanks 1

Real nice blog Edo.  Love my slippers.  In the last 15-20 years, I have had two pairs of "Life is Good" slippers.  They have a nice hard sole so I can run out to my car in them, without worry of ruining them.  The only reason I had two, I gave my first pair to my ailing father when he needed slippers badly.  These are similar to what I have...not sure they are available in the U.K.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Thanks 1

Hi Edo,

A great blog.

But I was puzzled about your use of your Alamy watermarked images.

Couldn't this lead to a false assumption of a misuse of images?

Perhaps leave a general comment that the images are yours (for sale) at Alamy - or make a special copy marked or watermarked "Copyright plus your name".

Or am I too rigid here? 

Just wondering, I don't know - but the stuff there is great.

Niels

Edited by Niels Quist

Gee, I hope you're being too rigid, Niels, although I've never thought of you as rigid. James at Alamy reads my blog and he's never said there was a problem. I wouldn't use anyone else's images. 

It seems I've hit on two universally interesting issues this week: slippers and the real value of stuff. Every week I think—this is my very last blog. Then somehow I manage to do one more. 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

James at Alamy reads my blog and he's never said there was a problem. I wouldn't use anyone else's images. 

It seems I've hit on two universally interesting issues this week: slippers and the real value of stuff. Every week I think—this is my very last blog. Then somehow I manage to do one more. 🙂

Then forget my remarks and continue the good work, Edo 😀

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

As for slippers, I live barefoot. My feet are not lady like...

You are, I'm sure totally ladylike, Gen. But be alert. I've heard that those big salties consider human toes a tasty snack. And I understand the can run over 30 MPH on land.