Edo, I actually had tears in my eyes reading your blog. These items you left behind were so much part of what you loved. Part of every step of your life, what made you happy. Still, there is no bitterness. Kudos, I don't know how you do it. 

I initially went to Oz from the UK for 2 years. It was 8 years ago. I have about 50+ boxes in storage in UK plus furniture. And that was being selective. Admittedly, about 60% are my books. These I miss a lot. The rest? Lazyboys armchairs, comfy leather sofa, I wouldn't care. All my kitchen gadgets I miss to some extent but I can live without them. And I love cooking.

I sometimes think, who would want my stuff after I'm gone? The answer is: nobody. They meant something only to me. Old slides as well, an old tape of me visiting and dancing with a tribe in Brazil, that meant an awful lot . Now it's in my head, I can never lose it. So to some extent, I hear what you're saying.

As for slippers, I live barefoot. My feet are not lady like...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 02/09/2020 at 09:50, Ed Rooney said:

I fooled around with a new mask. It seemed that I can make it fit a bit better but did not solve the problem. I have both hay fever (allergy 365 days a year) and cough-variant asthma. Not constantly but they visit me everyday. I see others walking around with a mask in place. It doesn't work for me. But I do stay away from others on the street. In most shops now, staff are behind shields and wearing face shields. 

Thanks for your tip. I see other types of masks for sale now. ???

I bought some cloth masks yesterday. The ones Disney is selling, 4 for 20 quid. They seem to cover my face better, fit better all around, and so far have not fogged up my glasses. Not perfect, but better for me so far.

Edo

Slippers are a serious subject if you live in a draughty old house with brick and stone floors like this place. Heavy slipper socks for fireside, damp proof for nipping out back to collect dog droppings, and something getting on for shoes to pop out the front door to buy a fish or two from the bloke who comes  'round in  van on a Tuesday morning. Jane took a dislike to one pair calling them pervert's slippers. Couldn't see it myself, but they had to go. Recycling an old pair of trainers isn't the greatest look, but, if it works for you, why not? Losing a set of long loved kitchen knives would be hard!

• Thanks 1

I must admit I am a slipper person. Working from home I put  them on when I get up and take them off when I go to bed! Only time I don’t wear them is when I go out. Or a customer is picking up a print and even then I often forget to put on shoes!!

• Thanks 1

Real nice blog Edo.  Love my slippers.  In the last 15-20 years, I have had two pairs of "Life is Good" slippers.  They have a nice hard sole so I can run out to my car in them, without worry of ruining them.  The only reason I had two, I gave my first pair to my ailing father when he needed slippers badly.  These are similar to what I have...not sure they are available in the U.K.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Thanks 1

Hi Edo,

A great blog.

But I was puzzled about your use of your Alamy watermarked images.

Couldn't this lead to a false assumption of a misuse of images?

Perhaps leave a general comment that the images are yours (for sale) at Alamy - or make a special copy marked or watermarked "Copyright plus your name".

Or am I too rigid here? 

Just wondering, I don't know - but the stuff there is great.

Niels

Edited by Niels Quist

Gee, I hope you're being too rigid, Niels, although I've never thought of you as rigid. James at Alamy reads my blog and he's never said there was a problem. I wouldn't use anyone else's images. 

It seems I've hit on two universally interesting issues this week: slippers and the real value of stuff. Every week I think—this is my very last blog. Then somehow I manage to do one more. 🙂

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

James at Alamy reads my blog and he's never said there was a problem. I wouldn't use anyone else's images. 

It seems I've hit on two universally interesting issues this week: slippers and the real value of stuff. Every week I think—this is my very last blog. Then somehow I manage to do one more. 🙂

Then forget my remarks and continue the good work, Edo 😀

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

As for slippers, I live barefoot. My feet are not lady like...

You are, I'm sure totally ladylike, Gen. But be alert. I've heard that those big salties consider human toes a tasty snack. And I understand the can run over 30 MPH on land. 

• Haha 1

"Now it's in my head, I can never lose it."

Yes. The one important thing I learned from the ugly, hateful, fearful business of being in combat is—focus on the moment. The past won't help you and you may not have a future. 

• Upvote 1

Edo, I do hope you’ll continue to write your blog for a long time. I look forward to a quiet read Sunday mornings and enjoy hearing your thoughtful little nuggets of information. Plus, being stuck here in North Florida, I feel like I’m learning more about other places as an "armchair traveler."  Here at home, I have a lot of collected things that mean a lot to me, but during the months I’m traveling and living out of a tiny suitcase, they just fade into the background. Live in the moment. It’s a good plan. As for slippers, I’m a barefoot girl, too, but the Eddie Bauer pair, gifted to me about thirty years ago when I thought they were silly, unnecessary and frivolous, seem to come out more and more in wintertime as I get older. 

• Thanks 1

A moving post, Edo. Your perseverance in the face of adversity has been remarkable. I'm a slipper person as well, although I find it increasingly more difficult to find comfortable, long-lasting ones. The last couple of pairs that I bought fell to pieces in no time. Your current slip-intos look as if they still have plenty of mileage left on them. I'm envious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I'm gonna be able to wear my 'new' slippers hosting any at home social events. Fortunately, I have no such events planned. 

• Like 1

I just use some flip flops for slippers. Not the kind with a strap between my toes, but cute ones.  Enclosed fuzzy slippers make my feet too hot. In the winter, I wear socks with them.  I slip on outdoor shoes for the yard, then change back at the door. Keeps all sorts of dirt and grass out of the house. I seldom need to vacuum.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I just use some flip flops for slippers. Not the kind with a strap between my toes, but cute ones.

I use plastic sandals, basically what's available at Maxi-Pali (Walmart subsidiary), because the floors here, tiles of various kinds, are hard on aging feet.  Can't stand the flipflops with the strap between my toes. 

Other house shoes have been imitation crocs, which are sold by the thousands here during the rainy season. 

On 20/09/2020 at 19:40, John Mitchell said:

A moving post, Edo. Your perseverance in the face of adversity has been remarkable. I'm a slipper person as well, although I find it increasingly more difficult to find comfortable, long-lasting ones. The last couple of pairs that I bought fell to pieces in no time. Your current slip-intos look as if they still have plenty of mileage left on them. I'm envious.

Indeed.

I bought a cheap pair of slippers  from one of the German discount stores, and they fell to bits in no time. My wife then bought me a pair costing 3 X as much from M&S, but they look and feel very similar to the cheaper pair, time will tell.

Moving on to shoes, for years I bought a recognised British mass manufactured high street brand and got good service from them. They could be re-soled and the uppers were of such quality that they outlived a couple of  new bottoms.

However, despite seeing little use,  the last few pairs I bought fell apart, the uppers parting from the soles. On each occasion that happened when eating out with friends, a cause of some considerable mirth. Efforts to obtain a refund or compensation proved fruitless. They said that I wasn't wearing  them enough, and that they had dried out  - so the fault lay with  me. 

I will never darken the doors of that company again.

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

Indeed.

I bought a cheap pair of slippers  from one of the German discount stores, and they fell to bits in no time. My wife then bought me a pair costing 3 X as much from M&S, but they look and feel very similar to the cheaper pair, time will tell.

Moving on to shoes, for years I bought a recognised British mass manufactured high street brand and got good service from them. They could be re-soled and the uppers were of such quality that they outlived a couple of  new bottoms.

However, despite seeing little use,  the last few pairs I bought fell apart, the uppers parting from the soles. On each occasion that happened when eating out with friends, a cause of some considerable mirth. Efforts to obtain a refund or compensation proved fruitless. They said that I wasn't wearing  them enough, and that they had dried out  - so the fault lay with  me. 

I will never darken the doors of that company again.

Reminds me of a story my deceased lady friend told me. Her hubby had bought a pair of expensive shoes from a posh shop, can't remember the name, and something went wrong with them so he took them back. He asked for an exchange or refund and after examining the shoes the assistant said, "But somebody has been wearing them!"😮

Allan

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Maybe you were more of a traditionalist back then, Andy. Or do younger toes get cold more easily?

I think I was more dull back then, Ed, although the quest to be a dull man is always at the forefront of my mind.  I do wear some beige, although I don't own a beige sports jacket with elbow pathces... 😥

Slipper wearing prevents stubbed toes, bed post, chair leg etc. For a person as clumsy as me it prevents ocasional agony!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Slipper wearing prevents stubbed toes, bed post, chair leg etc. For a person as clumsy as me it prevents ocasional agony!

No. 1 son and GF have taken a shine to solid oak furniture. The dining table is bad enough (right knee🤩) but they have extended their fetishism to the guest bed which has solid 4" square monoliths for legs. Of course you never take your slippers on holiday🤪