As others have already said Edo - another enjoyable blog.

I don't possess slippers but I do wear heavy duty walking socks as a substitute.  Just enough to take the chill off but not enough to protect against escapee drawing pins etc!. 

I am fortunate to have most of my treasured possessions stored in my flat.  As always, they are probably only of value to me and will most likely be dumped when I pop my clogs.  The only thing I have done is write my memoir (childhood to current) and have shared copies amongst my children.  Not of great interest to them at the moment but might be when I've gone.

Keep writing your blogs Edo - I thoroughly enjoy reading them.  I wish I could write like you.

JW

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

No. 1 son and GF have taken a shine to solid oak furniture. The dining table is bad enough (right knee🤩) but they have extended their fetishism to the guest bed which has solid 4" square monoliths for legs. Of course you never take your slippers on holiday🤪

Similar predicament, No. 1 son had an  attic room with sloping beams as a guest bedroom, should have worn a crash helmet  😣

Slippers on feet, kneepads and crash helmet, what could possibly go wrong? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Similar predicament, No. 1 son had an  attic room with sloping beams as a guest bedroom, should have worn a crash helmet  😣

Slippers on feet, kneepads and crash helmet, what could possibly go wrong? 

I used to own a very old thatched cottage in Dorset, The ceilings were very low with solid oak exposed beams, amazing how after the third head collision you learn to walk around the house with an old mans stoop. (which I now have coz i'm old 😁.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The front wooden door was open, the full-length see-through glass storm door was locked. I was expecting a workman for an estimate. I was in the bedroom doing whatever when the guy rang the doorbell 10 minutes early. I came hotfooting it down the hall, just short of a run, and rounded the corner through the door into the family room, where I could be seen from the front door.  But I rammed my little two toes into the door frame as I came through. It sounded like I hit a croquet ball with a mallet.

I grabbed my foot, hopped a few steps gritting my teeth. I wanted to fall to the floor, roll around for awhile and yell. Maybe say a choice word or two. But this guy holding a clipboard was staring through the glass door at me.

I know my face had to be purple because it was very hot, like boiling. I limped on with as much dignity as I could muster, opened the door for him, and he said, “Gosh dang, that hurt!”
 I had to tape my toes, the bruise (bleeding) turned my foot black and blue and I couldn’t wear a decent enclosed shoe for two months.

Thank you, flip-flops.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Sad 3

I can feel the pain Betty, awful!

I can see this thread developing into one of these tales where we all try outdo each other in the severity of the accident! When I was a lad we had one cold tap to serve the entire city and the only heat in winter came from a second hand match etc.  Apologies to Edo.

They say most accidents occur in the home, and that has been my experience. I came downstairs carrying a basket of washing and tripped over something my wife had left there. Ended up in hospital with a broken bone and my foot in plaster. Coming from an engineering background you learn to avoid leaving hazards around the place, but my other half hasn't had that training. I occasionally see the cable for the vacuum cleaner stretched across the top of the stairs at ground level and feel obliged to lift it it up over the bannister. 

Maybe there is a sinister motive .........

Ouch! 

No apologies called for, Bryan. I see many of these posts as conversations that drift from subject to subject. Maybe the tech and critique areas should stay on point, but I post here most of the time.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Where do you get the boat to where they play those Desert Island Disks? 

https://edostrange.blogspot.com/2020/09/strange-indeed.html

DAB is digital audio broadcasting, Ed, but your set gets FM as well.. When digital doesn't work, you don't get a hiss, you just get silence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's what I get when I deal slowly through the entire band—a hiss. I don't find that entertaining. 

52 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

ANOTHER great blog post.

Allan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Radio 4 and Radio 4 extra have so much treasure, hope you find it soon!

Talking about DAB and FM radios, at least Edo and Mark were, I have a question about the two.

Explanation first: In the lounge I have an older hifi system with amp, tuner, tape deck and turntable for vinyl records. Just to let you get an idea of it's age.

The tuner is FM and AM only so it is always on FM. (nothing on AM). 

The DAB radio I have is in the office about 8 yards away from the lounge and set in DAB mode.

Experience: Both radios are on the same station and when I stand about halfway between the two the sound from the DAB radio is about 2 - 3 seconds behind the sound from the FM radio. (ie: DAB radio is slower to produce the sound than the FM radio).

WHY?

Allan

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

200% with you on that one Edo. Complicated technology keeps imposing itself onto our lives. My vehicle radio set doesn't even have a simple on/off button. I couldn't figure out how to turn it off when a garage mechanic left it on. I never use it. Exceptionally today I used its DVD player to listen to David Attenborough because we had an all-day driving.

I have nostalgia when life was more simple. I remember when each year, I used to let go of my property rental, terminate my job contract and go to Brazil for several months. Upon my return, I used to reverse everything, find a new job and place to live, it was easy, just a change of address here and then. Now?? Gee, I wouldn't dream of the complications. All those on-line sites to be updated, oh no sorry for that you have to come in person, oh you didn't use your phone for 30 days, etc, etc... Arghh... Enough to drive you mad. Of course, I enjoy the positive side of technology, the Internet etc, but I still hate its complications.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My ex-host at BBC Radio Oxford tells me DAB means Digital Audio Broadcasting. That's David Freeman on Jazz FM at 5 PM today. David told me how to tune this sucker, but none of it worked. I need a nap. I mean siesta. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

I've got a bedside DAB and an FM in my office next door. Both are tuned invariably to BBC Radio 4 which is where we find Desert Island Disks (Cat Stevens this morning) I know they reach me a couple of seconds apart which is OK, no need to stand on the small landing between where I can neither sleep nor work. The FM in my small Camper does have an on/off button and I have to be careful to turn it off or it will drain my battery in a day or two. I usually have a spare for the times when I am in someplace remote, but hooking up the cables is a bit of a pain.

I have a simple mobile which I use only as a telephone. I think it can do more but I don't bother. It drives my wife nuts! When we are out she often asks if I have it turned on. The answer is usually YES but as the only people who have the number is herself and our son who is likely to be in the back seat there is little point. And Vodaphone who will pester me with offers if I make  a call and they realise I am alive. It's a cheapskates special; It's free until I make a call, then it charges me £1 and I can make as many calls as I want for the rest of the day. The battery lasts a week!

Lots of on-line sites require updates, the only ray of hope is my Bank who employ voice recognition and no longer ask me to answer security daft questions. About a year ago I called them up and after a couple of the daft questions announced that their system had listened and I would not be questioned again as they would automatically recognize me in the future. Amazingly, it works!

Edited by Robert M Estall

I managed to get David Freeman's Blues and Boogie show on Jazz FM on my MacBook (5 to 7 on Sundays). He used to do the best author interviews. It's good to hear his voice again. 

• Like 1

Reading your latest blog post, Edo, I was reminded of Marshall McLuhan. I was a big fan of his writings during my university days, and he remains my go-to media nerd/guru. He had it all figured out back in the 60's. This quote of his came to mind immediately:

"We are as numb in our new electric world as the native involved in our literate and mechanical culture." (1964)

(You could now replace "electric world" with "digital world".)

P.S. I still have an on/off transistor radio that I bought in the early 70's. It works great for FM. 🙃

Edited by John Mitchell

I have an echo tower. I can ask Alexa “what is the temperature”. Or set the alarm to 7 am and wake up to Willie Nelson singing. I can say, “play 80s pop” or 70s country. Soft jazz.  Or whatever I want. When I leave the house, I say, “Alexa, play bird sounds” and my Echo bird has birdsong to listen to while I’m gone. She starts tweeting and whistling in anticipation the minute she hears me ask Alexa for it. African Grays like to mimic.

But when I asked Alexa yesterday to get Oklahoma Sooner Sports Radio FM107.7, she kept giving me that number station from somewhere else, which was playing music that made me want to kneel down and worship the Porcelain Throne.
I must’ve tried 6 times and gave up. Alexa would say, “Hmm, I don’t know that one” or give me THAT station again.

Funny, she got it for me last Saturday.
Yeah. Frustrating.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2

We've a couple of DAB radios, and the most recent has a power supply built into the plug, so that, I assume, only 5 volts reach the radio. This means that I am reasonably happy to take it into the bathroom with me and can lie in the bath listening - don't try this at home kids.

At 7pm on radio 3 is the Intune mixtape, thus avoiding The Archers on radio 4. Then there is the football phone in on local radio, but the match commentaries sound dead without spectator noise. 

If I had to choose between TV and radio I'd probably opt for radio, but we've just watched a BBC documentary on the evolution of written language and that was fascinating if a little hard on the brain.

I'm currently concerned that the knives are being sharpened for a sustained attack on the BBC, life would not be the same without advert free and reasonably intelligent Auntie.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

We've a couple of DAB radios, and the most recent has a power supply built into the plug, so that, I assume, only 5 volts reach the radio. This means that I am reasonably happy to take it into the bathroom with me and can lie in the bath listening - don't try this at home kids.

I am probably being a bit of a granny here, but unless it's an isolation transformer you're not protected completely. A fault in the power supply could still give you a mains-voltage shock. The risk is quite slight, especially with a plastic chassis and miniature circuit breakers in a modern domestic supply, but it's not zero. I would not want to be touching it or having it near the bath.

Edited by spacecadet

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I am probably being a bit of a granny here, but unless it's an isolation transformer you're not protected completely. A fault in the power supply could still give you a mains-voltage shock. The risk is quite slight, especially with a plastic chassis and miniature circuit breakers in a modern domestic supply, but it's not zero. I would not want to be touching it or having it near the bath.

Sure your right Mark, but I used to take the 240 V set into the bathroom before acquiring this one, so a quantum improvement! I live in fear of her indoors deciding to do away with me and throwing the radio into the bath, but, having known her for over 50 years, suspect that the risk is slight  🙂

• Haha 1

On 27/09/2020 at 10:50, Allan Bell said:

Experience: Both radios are on the same station and when I stand about halfway between the two the sound from the DAB radio is about 2 - 3 seconds behind the sound from the FM radio. (ie: DAB radio is slower to produce the sound than the FM radio).

WHY?

Allan

The original analogue signal has to be encoded before transmission then has to be decoded in the receiver, so there is a slight delay in transmission, then another while your radio is doing it's stuff.  Also depends on the processor inside the receiver - some are faster than others.

Apparently, Classic FM delays the FM signal to bring it more in sync with the DAB signal.  I didn't know that until I followed this link...

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/advice/faqs/default.asp?search=Products&id=15

Edited by Vincent Lowe

Edo, as you may know, you can stream thousands of radio stations thru your computer or laptop for free....even stations you liked back in NYC.  Nearly every station around the world can be streamed.  Of course one caveat is that you need a decent internet connection at home.

That is what I do, Michael. I check NPR most days, and in addition to the American programming, they have BBC World Service. So I find myself here in the UK listening to the BBC from NYC.  🤪

On 27/09/2020 at 14:01, Ed Rooney said:

My ex-host at BBC Radio Oxford tells me DAB means Digital Audio Broadcasting. That's David Freeman on Jazz FM at 5 PM today. David told me how to tune this sucker, but none of it worked. I need a nap. I mean siesta. 

Looking for a photo of what David Freeman looked like at the time he interviewed Ian in the ‘80‘s, I came across this image of Libby Purves...the woman she is talking to is wearing an identical Laura Ashley dress (RIP) to the one I got married in!!

_49472345_libbypurves.jpg

Edited by Thyrsis
  • Haha 1