Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

 

 

"Face covering" is one of those phrases that, Oh I don't know! I mean a mask is a mask, call it a mask! I know it came into use when there was a shortage of masks but what next? Are trousers going to be called knee coverings!

 

😷😷

Trousers can also be used for covering your ass🤪🤣

Phil

Edited by Phil Crean
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

 

Moved up from the "face covering" neck sleeve to masks when they became common in the shops.

 

Made my own sanitiser in the begining, still remember the knowing smile from the chemist when I asked for surgical spirit and aloe vera 😉

 

 

 

The chemist's name wasn't Vera by any chance?

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The annoying thing is when I went to Sainsburys the other day I parked the car and started walking to the entrance of Sainsburys when I realised I had left my mask in the car - I completely forget I had a few in my bag and went back to the car for the one that was in there 😄  blonde moment !

 

For us ladies, I guess it saves on wearing lipstick though sometimes I find myself reaching for it before going out, some things are just automatic 😁

 

Now that the weather is getting bit cooler I will also put bottles of sanitzier in my jacket/coat pockets ......

 

Carol

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

The annoying thing is when I went to Sainsburys the other day I parked the car and started walking to the entrance of Sainsburys when I realised I had left my mask in the car - I completely forget I had a few in my bag and went back to the car for the one that was in there 😄  blonde moment !

 

For us ladies, I guess it saves on wearing lipstick though sometimes I find myself reaching for it before going out, some things are just automatic 😁

 

Now that the weather is getting bit cooler I will also put bottles of sanitzier in my jacket/coat pockets ......

 

Carol

 

 

I think you just found a good subject!

Protective medical mask with red lipstick kiss print on white background isolated closeup, nurse lips pattern on disposable respiratory surgical mask - Stock Image
Hmm, ok I'm behind the times again. A couple of people already had the same idea 5 months ago.
Only the just ordinary people doing just ordinary things are missing. At least here on Alamy.

 

wim

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2020 at 13:11, ReeRay said:

Ed

 

See if the broader white strip (bottom here) is pliable.

 

I fooled around with a new mask. It seemed that I can make it fit a bit better but did not solve the problem. I have both hay fever (allergy 365 days a year) and cough-variant asthma. Not constantly but they visit me everyday. I see others walking around with a mask in place. It doesn't work for me. But I do stay away from others on the street. In most shops now, staff are behind shields and wearing face shields. 

 

Thanks for your tip. I see other types of masks for sale now. ???

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have four cloth masks, a couple of surgical paper masks (used mostly for running across the street to buy lunch), and just bought two Chinese KN 95 masks in a sealed package of two for around $3 US for more indoor type ventures in the future.   Masks are required in government buildings, banks, and most stores and restaurants in Nicaragua, but don't always get worn properly. 

 

Saw masked teenagers squirting each other's hands with hand sanitizer in the street today in Jinotega.  Didn't have a camera (cane use kinda makes that difficult, but I am missing some shots).

 

At Migracion in Managua, one person had a mask and face shield.  I had on a cloth mask and plain clear lenses in my interchangeable lens sunglasses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2020 at 15:46, AM Chang said:

Ed,

If the mask comes with a flexible nose wire, try to fit.
I wear glasses all the time, I have had no problems.

Information on the product label at the local pharmacy: Daily wear mask, three layers of TNT, Polypropylene. Disposable product - Stock Image

Information on the product label at the local pharmacy: Daily wear mask, three layers of TNT, Polypropylene. Disposable product - Stock Image

Stay safe,

andre

 

 

Andre, maybe this is a nose problem rather than a mask problems. Maybe you have a better nose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Andre, maybe this is a nose problem rather than a mask problems. Maybe you have a better nose. 

 

For sure I don't have a better nose, maybe just a nose suitable for that type of mask.🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same masks as Edo and no matter how much I pinch the built in wire around my nose, I still get fogged up glasses and/or the eye piece of the camera.  When it gets colder, I will switch over to the cloth masks I have but I know they won't solve that problem, maybe it will get worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My youngest daughter is very athletic and she swears by the new under armour brand sports mask she bought herself. She can breathe in it and it doesn’t fog up her glasses. I’ve ordered one for myself to see if it will be an improvement over what I’ve been using. However, while we don’t have overly large noses, they’re of the Italian variety and neither of us have had problems with our masks slipping off. 😀

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have the same masks as Edo and no matter how much I pinch the built in wire around my nose, I still get fogged up glasses and/or the eye piece of the camera.  When it gets colder, I will switch over to the cloth masks I have but I know they won't solve that problem, maybe it will get worse.

 

Michael,

 

When it was colder I had that foggy problem with other type of masks.

 

In addition to pinch the top of the mask to fit the shape of my nose, I made sure to tight the sides as well for a good fit to avoid the filtering of warm air. My glasses is always over a small part of the top of the mask.

or

I realized that pushing the glasses forward the nose to allow more air to circulate (more space between my eyes and the glasses) and washing my glasses with soap and water, keeping it clean also helps.

 

andre

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a simple and effective idea, Andre: use the eyeglasses over the mask to hold it in place. Bingo! 

 

Unfortunately, I'm still creating too much steam. I'm going to try a small piece of masking tape rolled with the sticky part out. 

 

I've not tied the tape out yet. In addition to trying not to exchange an infection, I have cough-variant asthma, hay fever, and claustrophobia. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel hungry when I look at your food images Edo😀 you obviously have a knack for food photography something which I seem to struggle with.  I feel I should make more of an effort so just wondering,.....flash or no flash and any other basic tips when you have 5 - apart from shoot before you eat😄

 

Carol

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember my early days in Canada when the shops had not a lot to offer and we didn't have a lot of cash for "fancy stuff" But Canada does go for seriously strong and aged cheddar. Mother was a terrific hoarder and she would save the dried up corners of cheddar (which didn't seem to go mouldy) These were grated finely and that's what we used instead of parmesan. These were post war years and we had to make do as best we could.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I feel hungry when I look at your food images Edo😀 you obviously have a knack for food photography something which I seem to struggle with.  I feel I should make more of an effort so just wondering,.....flash or no flash and any other basic tips when you have 5 - apart from shoot before you eat😄

 

Carol

 

I did talk some about my approach in the second half of this earlier blog: https://edostrange.blogspot.com/2020/08/recipe-for-food-pics.html

 

Taking a lesson from the great Dutch painter, Vermeer, I favour the use of one window light. I wonder why the Dutch had so many great painters? If I ever take another trip, maybe it should be back to Amsterdam? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amsterdam is great—I've been there a number of times and had two photo assignment for airlines there. Maybe Wim can tells us if they still do Rijsttafel in the city. I think we ate at Sampurna when I was there in 2006. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Amsterdam is great—I've been there a number of times and had two photo assignment for airlines there. Maybe Wim can tells us if they still do Rijsttafel in the city. I think we ate at Sampurna when I was there in 2006. 

 

Rijsttafels are still widely available. With visitors we sometimes head to The Hague for the best experience. Sampurna is probably still good, one of the best actually, but it has been a while since we've been there. For the current best, take a look at the Fork.  However since they have been taken over by Tripadvisor, the average tourist review has drowned out the true foodie voice a bit. Plus a lot of really good and really bad restaurants have decided to leave the site (originally called Iens after the founding lady). For Amsterdam this foodie blog is not too bad.

And as always Google is your friend also. (Just had an excellent experience driving back from Germany and Luxembourg somewhere just off the highway in a place that Google said scored a 4.8. Asian-French fusion! Yummmmie!)

With any restaurant with a rating over 4.0 and more than 50 reviews you cannot go wrong. Be aware that some good Indonesian places in Amsterdam are run by ethnic Chinese people and also that some of the best are tiny, because they are actually a takeaway place. When we had restaurant lock-down a lot of regular restaurants started to offer takeaway also btw.

 

wim

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My info is a bit old, but in Indonesia I did not find any Rijsttafel. Where I did find some was in Costa Rica. 

 

When I read restaurant or hotel reviews in Tripadvisor, I ignore the rave and heavy pans. The middle star ratings are worth reading. 

 

Thanks, Wim. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

I did talk some about my approach in the second half of this earlier blog: https://edostrange.blogspot.com/2020/08/recipe-for-food-pics.html

 

Taking a lesson from the great Dutch painter, Vermeer, I favour the use of one window light. I wonder why the Dutch had so many great painters? If I ever take another trip, maybe it should be back to Amsterdam? 

 

Thanks for the food photography tips, you've clearly mastered the art, but  I find it a good deal more difficult than it looks!

 

Re Amsterdam, despite visiting this lovely city a number of times either in connection with work or leisure, I don't have a single photo of the place. Something to address when we get over this pandemic. The overnight ferry from North Shields to Ijmuiden ( hope the spelling is correct) provides an easy access for a person and bicycle, and the ride to Amsterdam is both safe and pleasant. They charge for the carriage of a normal bike, but a folding bike counts as hand luggage and can accompany a person to their cabin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amsterdam—all of the Netherland—is bicycle country. Bike riders in the city of canals control everything. One must be very careful not to step into a bike lane. I saw 2 people hit in a half hour. And they move like heat-seeking missiles. I've never met a Dutchman who did not speak English. 

 

Thanks for the compliment on my food pics. Really, I'm just doing the best I can with the subject at hand. I try to keep things simple. Less is often more. 

 

Edo

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Amsterdam—all of the Netherland—is bicycle country. Bike riders in the city of canals control everything. One must be very careful not to step into a bike lane. I saw 2 people hit in a half hour. And they move like heat-seeking missiles. I've never met a Dutchman who did not speak English. 

 

 

 

Yes great place to cycle, actually most of continental Europe is better than the UK in that respect

 

All the younger folk appear to speak English, but some of the more elderly not necessarily. My wife, who is a bit of a linguist, found that Geordie was sometimes better understood, we share some old Norse words I guess. Hyem (home) etc. Much to my regret I don't do languages, but I've  found that most pharmacies normally contain an English speaker when all is lost. 

Edited by Bryan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.