Stranger in a Strange Land

19 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's green mayo, Michael. I don't know why it's green. Below is their meat version, called a Cuban mixto. It has various types of pork. Sadly, I've never been to Cuba.

2B20PKR.jpg

Cilantro Mayonnaise perhaps?

45 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's green mayo, Michael. I don't know why it's green. Below is their meat version, called a Cuban mixto. It has various types of pork. Sadly, I've never been to Cuba.

2B20PKR.jpg

Cilantro mayo sounds good. I haven’t been to Cuba either....closest I got is Little Havana in Miami.  Actually the closest I got was Key West, Florida....just 90 miles away.  

Thanks for the mayo report, folks. I've been to Key West too, Michael. When I was in Montreal waiting for my Irish passport renewal, I almost went down to Cuba to wait. Alas, it was hurricane season and I didn't want anymore complications. I've had a drink in all the other Hemingway places. 

https://edostrange.blogspot.com/2020/05/at-harrys-bar.html

• Love 1

Ah yes, Bimini. I've done shoots on a few islands in the stream, but I've never been to Bimini. 

Hemingway spent a lot of time on Bimini between 1935 and 1937, but he never really lived (settled) there. He was living with his family in Key West. If he was by himself on Bimini, he usually stayed at the Compleat Angler Hotel. When he had his wife and boys with him he rented or stayed with friends like Michael Lerner. It was a very important, pivotal place to him and I will have to add it to the spots I did not have a proper Papa beverage. 

This Hemingway story recently published in The New Yorker seems to be set in Bimini:  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/06/08/pursuit-as-happiness

Edo

47 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sorry—I'm trying to sort out a tech problem with blogspot. Did everyone or anyone get this blog of a couple of weeks ago? 

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/8692256053840313139/3176977482850370702

Thanks, Edo

No... goes to a page to start a new blog...

Phil

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yep..all ok now...

We're very lucky here, very little infection...the big problem now is almost zero tourism.

The islands need tourists to keep people in jobs, but also need to take great care not to import covid...

Phil

• Love 1

Edo, did you remember the congressman from Queens, NY, Ben Rosenthal?  He was probably in office during the time your father was.  Anyway, his son and I were good friends in high school and still close friends today.  He raised his family in suburban DC while in office.