Stranger in a Strange Land

35 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I ordered a half-dozen or so masks from fine art America with my art on them. So far, so good. So yeah, stylish!

Not to be a pessimist, but I hope they are using a non toxic ink or material to make these.  Just hate to see you get harmed by something that is to keep you safe.

4 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Not to be a pessimist, but I hope they are using a non toxic ink or material to make these.  Just hate to see you get harmed by something that is to keep you safe.

Doesn't anything sold or imported in the US have to pass safety standards? It wouldn't be permissible to use unapproved materials in the EU.

21 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Doesn't anything sold or imported in the US have to pass safety standards? It wouldn't be permissible to use unapproved materials in the EU.

It sounds like FAA is printing the photos on the mask material...so the mask may or may not be imported but the printing is probably done on site or at a contracting facility.

7 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

I'm using some washable neck tube masks. Glasses still mist up and the world smells of fabric conditioner.  Needs must. 😉

Apparently if you put a spot of washing up liquid on the lenses of your glasses and polish it off they won’t steam up.... 

On 29/06/2020 at 12:00, Mr Standfast said:

I'm using some washable neck tube masks. Glasses still mist up and the world smells of fabric conditioner.  Needs must. 😉

Oops, duplicate!

Edited by Thyrsis

8 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

You pessimist, you! :D

Actually, higher thinking Michael. Never even thought about it and I’m usually pretty up on medical issues. I don’t go anywhere to have them on over 30 minutes, but I’m sure I can get a snootful of toxic waste in that time. And of course, cumulative, like sun exposure.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Apparently if you put a spot of washing up liquid on the lenses of your glasses and polish it off they won’t steam up.... 

Wonder if that lasts for 4 hours though.

Looks like I'll find out.

Edited by spacecadet

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

It occurs to me: we're all strangers in a strange land now.

There are no strangers in this world, just friends you have not met yet.

However in your varied career and active life travelling the world I should think you have met most of them by now.😉

I know we have not met yet, if we had I am sure I would remember the meeting. Perhaps I will take a trip to Liverpool one day in the not too distant future to see if I can find you walking the streets.

Allan

• Love 1

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

Especially me!!

You will never be a stranger Gen hen.

Perhaps all the regular forum members could hire a cruise liner for a big meet up and see some sights while having a party.

Allan

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

You will never be a stranger Gen hen.

Perhaps all the regular forum members could hire a cruise liner for a big meet up and see some sights while having a party.

Allan

Like our good old Sin Bin parties? What fun! Cooking apple pies right now, let’s go!

10 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Like our good old Sin Bin parties? What fun! Cooking apple pies right now, let’s go!

I'm with you. Love your apple pies. Not much good at cooking so I will bring the booze. Mind you I don't drink alcoholic drinks myself so hope I get some good stuff.

Allan

Anyone else coming?

ITMA

I saw a bit of the "The Golden Girls" the other day and one of the actresses (Betty White) was on and I thought she could be our Betty. Remember this series was filmed a long time ago.

Allan

• Love 2

15 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I'm with you. Love your apple pies. Not much good at cooking so I will bring the booze. Mind you I don't drink alcoholic drinks myself so hope I get some good stuff.

Allan

Anyone else coming?

ITMA

I made margaritas last evening since my son is visiting. First drink since I had a glass of wine over thanksgiving. I do love my margaritas but sometimes a year or two goes by before I have one. I bought some beer before Jeff came, and it is Michelob Ultra Infusions, which has lime and prickly pear cactus in it. Very light, crisp and refreshing. I did have a bottle of that a day or two before the margarita.

Imagine, tomorrow is July 1st. In the UK, we've all been in some kind of isolation for three months. The natives are restless. 

Allan, if you avoid alcohol, that's probably a good thing. I used to drink only 4 things: coffee, beer, wine, and water. This past winter here in Liverpool, I added brandy to the mix. I practice 16/8 intermittent fasting. That is I eat breakfast and lunch only. That's nothing to eat or drink at night except water. I used to drink 10 to 14 drinks a week. With the brandy and the lockdown, I'm up to about 21 drinks a week. The American medical community says that 21 drinks a week is where alcoholism begins. Hmm. 

I never drank much to begin with, three or four drinks per week. However I am imbibing a bit more during the pandemic -- downing a therapeutic glass of wine or a beer almost every night with dinner. I've never liked hard liquor (margaritas excepted, of course), which is probably a good thing. If you think the natives are restless now, wait a few weeks.

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I saw a bit of the "The Golden Girls" the other day and one of the actresses (Betty White) was on and I thought she could be our Betty. Remember this series was filmed a long time ago.

Allan

Betty White is America's sweetheart.