Stranger in a Strange Land

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

All this talk of burgers and chips had me wondering around Liverpool ONE an hour ago. The 5 Guys on the top landing was doing takeaway, so I decided to give them a go. I'm almost as bad at picnicking as I am at gardening and bird watching, but I took my bag of lunch, including a Corona Extra, across to the grassy area. It was a nice change on this warm summer day.

The Herring gulls got most of my fries along with my usual lecture about going out to sea and finding some fish. 

Edo

Reminds me of when we were headed to the west coast, a car trip. We stopped in the forest at a spot on top of a mountain that had picnic tables. No sooner had we spread out our lunch until a mountain jay swooped in and picked something off. Maybe a frito. Then came back, sat on the end of the table and stared hungrily at us. They were used to robbing tourists, and had no fear.

These gulls didn't steal from me, Betty. I gave them the fries. At first there was one alone, being very territorial. Then a few others dropped by. 

I've been here for almost a year now and I've never seen a Herring gulls steal or become aggressive. They are big birds, so they could be a problem.

I like these birds. They have a majesty about them. They are not friendly looking or charming, but they project something that says they have a right to their space on Earth. I don't want to be one of those people who goes around feeding birds all the time, but when I can I will. 

2APT498.jpg

• Love 1

Edo in some parts of Britain it is illegal to feed these birds. Feeding them leads them to become a nuisance and is the reason that they don't go to sea to catch herrings. They end up  scrounging around city centres and on rubbish dumps, making noise and causing problems. They can be aggressive.

They also have knobbly knees. 😁

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Edo in some parts of Britain it is illegal to feed these birds. Feeding them leads them to become a nuisance and is the reason that they don't go to sea to catch herrings. They end up  scrounging around city centres and on rubbish dumps, making noise and causing problems. They can be aggressive.

Yes... According to the RSPB wesite, the herring gull's main source of food is "elderly Americans eating chips"...

12 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Yes... According to the RSPB wesite, the herring gull's main source of food is "elderly Americans eating chips"...

They should amend that to 'elderly Americans not eating their chips'.

I'm partial to gulls. We do have herring gulls at our Suffolk beaches but the smaller terns are more acrobatic and dive & wheel eagerly for crusts from sandwiches tossed in the air and soon spot anyone getting towards the end of their picnic. Aldeburgh and Dunwich shift a lot of fish & chip suppers so are popular with Herring gulls. Also both land quite a lot of cod and flatfish which they fillet on tables near the beach. The gulls gather and are eating something closer to their more natural diet. I  remember Cornish gulls being beyond eager. We used to often visit North Norfolk where the gulls were almost mute and not very pesky when it came to tidbits. 

15 hours ago, geogphotos said:

They should amend that to 'elderly Americans not eating their chips'.

I think  I prefer "old" to "elderly," Ian. It sounds less condescending. 😎

I'm not interesting in breaking the law; I'm a guest in this country. (But I think Robert and I will flip a chip to a hungry-looking gull once in awhile.) 

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm not interesting in breaking the law; I'm a guest in this country. (But I think Robert and I will flip a chip to a hungry-looking gull once in awhile.) 

Ed, you'd be surprised what the law defines as litter (infamously, apple cores) but beware of littering patrols- some councils (I don't know about Liverpool) have engaged very aggressive wardens on commission who lie in wait for infractions, usually waiting for smokers to throw away stubs, but a stray chip might interest them. As it does the gulls, of course.

Edited by spacecadet

37 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

You'll have to refer that to Mr Morrison - as it was he who coined the phrase. To me your are just Edo. 

I have been known to let the gulls at Aldeburgh have a few of my scraps from time to time. 

Edited by geogphotos

44 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Cooked how?😀

I always feel like ringing up and asking that question when I see cute a little sign saying guinea pigs for sale.

But then I could never understand why one of my students wasn't happy with her work experience placement at Dewhurst the butchers - I checked and her form definitely said that she wanted to work with animals. 🙃

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I think  I prefer "old" to "elderly," Ian. It sounds less condescending.

If you had a pic of me, sir, and you were keywording it... I bet you a pint of 'Old Amnesia' that you would include the words 'old', 'elderly', 'senior', pensioner', etc. 😀

35 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

If you had a pic of me, sir, and you were keywording it... I bet you a pint of 'Old Amnesia' that you would include the words 'old', 'elderly', 'senior', pensioner', etc. 😀

Git...not you!

35 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

In my subject choices for Alamy, self portraits are a big no-no.  

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

In my subject choices for Alamy, self portraits are a big no-no.  

Like this you mean? 🤣

'A man in his late thirties with a reusable face mask looking directly at the viewer during the Covid 19 Coronavirus pandemic with crazy lockdown hair'

A man in his late thirties with a reusable face mask looking directly at the viewer during the Covid 19 Coronavirus pandemic with crazy lockdown hair - Stock Image

Edited by Steve F

14 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Like this you mean? 🤣

'A man in his late thirties with a reusable face mask looking directly at the viewer during the Covid 19 Coronavirus pandemic with crazy lockdown hair'

A man in his late thirties with a reusable face mask looking directly at the viewer during the Covid 19 Coronavirus pandemic with crazy lockdown hair - Stock Image

He looks suspiciously like Steve F to me.🤭

Allan

18 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

He looks suspiciously like Steve F to me.🤭

Allan

Could be.... 🙃

“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.”

• Love 1

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

There are always exceptions to every rule, Steve. In this case, I would feel it important to document that hair. 😜

Lol, the hair has taken over. All I want to know is when the hairdressers are opening!

Without knowledge of the future, I had my last haircut two days before the lockdown. I used the word "trim" and then "short." My Kurdish barber took my hair down to a Vin Diesel length. 

• Love 1

Hairdressers reopened a few weeks ago here. I went for my "pandemic cut". It was an unusual experience given all the precautions that have to be taken. No beard trims available either, as masks tend to get in the way. 😷🧔

vancouver-canada-june-6-2020-a-customer-

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

On 25/06/2020 at 15:12, Steve F said:

Could be.... 🙃

“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.”

That's a great quote! Never seen it before; had to look it up.

On 25/06/2020 at 17:46, John Mitchell said:

Hairdressers reopened a few weeks ago here. I went for my "pandemic cut". It was an unusual experience given all the precautions that have to be taken. No beard trims available either, as masks tend to get in the way. 😷🧔

vancouver-canada-june-6-2020-a-customer-

And no inane chatter asking about your holiday plans or what you will be doing the rest of the day? Bliss.

34 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

And no inane chatter asking about your holiday plans or what you will be doing the rest of the day? Bliss.

My hairdresser talks a lot, so she still managed to get quite a lot of muffled banter in despite the PPE.