Stranger in a Strange Land

7 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

When I still lived in Canada amongst the dinosaurs, July 1st was called Dominion Day and I have no recollection of a Quebec Day. But, then, I lived in Ontario.Things have changed! Mostly for the better I think

That's right. I remember Dominion Day too. The dinosaurs are still here, but most of them live in Alberta now. 😃

P.S. I'd say that things have changed for the better when it comes to "the two solitudes". Canada is a much more bilingual country, at least at the federal government level, than it used to be. In Quebec, many immigrants end up speaking at least three languages now -- their mother tongue, French, and English.

Edited by John Mitchell

Yup, Cecile's link worked, but I can't for the life of me see what the difference might be. Under different circumstances you might have settled into Liverpool a little more quickly, but my experience is, it usually takes about a year before you meet a few solemates and start to settle in. You need better social skills than I possess to be quicker unless you just get lucky. When I decided to settle in UK, it took all of that plus some. When we moved to this Suffolk village we hit the ground almost running, but Jane has better social skills and the neighbours appreciated that we were not commuters . After 33 years, we are almost the old guard

Don't forget, Robert, that I lived in Oxfordshire for 7 years and off and on in London for another year. I remember the day, after living in Rome for two years, that I finally made an adjustment. If I seem unsure of what I'm saying, it's because I am. 

I just did an update edit on this weeks blog.

I enjoyed your post, Edo. Thanks! I have to say that, even here in the US, it has been one of the weirdest Fourth of July holidays I can remember. Even stranger than the few years I spent the holiday out of the country. The covid pandemic has sure led us into a bizarre period of time. 

Edited by Cecile Marion

Edo, I watched the NYC fireworks show on television, and it was spectacular. Views from different places. Going off from the Empire State Building, the Hudson, all over. But the ones going off around the Statue of Liberty was very meaningful.

I am unabashedly patriotic and unashamed of it.
I thought of you and Paulette while watching.
Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Just before I published my last blog, there was an update on Blogger (blogspot).

As with all updates, and new apps, and changes of any kind, this one left me in a puddle on the side of the digital tech road. Now, I can't control the size of the text or see how many readers I have. There is a new menu on the left with an enormous list of controls, most of them not understood by me. This would be a great time not to be such a dämlich. Unfortunately, I am. 

I shall push forward, regardless. 

Edo

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Just before I published my last blog, there was an update on Blogger (blogspot).

As with all updates, and new apps, and changes of any kind, this one left me in a puddle on the side of the digital tech road. Now, I can't control the size of the text or see how many readers I have. There is a new menu on the left with an enormous list of controls, most of them not understood by me.

Edo, I also have a blog on Blogger (blogspot). I haven't tried the new version which luckily hasn't been imposed on me yet, but regarding the size of the text, in the current version in the toolbar, there is an icon looking like 'tT'. This is where you choose the font size. Is it still there? Would that help?

I'll take a look later, Gen—going out now. Wear a facemark and watch out for those giant Salties. 

Oh wait! I use that controller. But the Normal is too small and the Large is too large now. And I would love to change the size and colour of the subtitles. 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'll take a look later, Gen—going out now. Wear a facemark and watch out for those giant Salties. 

Edo

Luckily, there is 0 covid case in the Territory where I'm in now. There hasn't been one for the past 2 months until an isolated case cropped up a few days ago.

Salties might be the biggest thread. We went bush camping two days ago. There was a lovely plunge pool there. We had a chat with the ranger who said swimming was alright but they can never vouch 100% for it being croc free. So hubby went in. I didn't, not because of the crocs but I'm not a water person. Next day, sure enough, a croc was spotted. Swimming closed until they catch it.

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Gen, do they capture and relocate those big crocs or do they kill them? 

There would be an uproar if they killed them. No, they relocate them which is not easy as they are very territorial, they'd better not release them in another croc's territory or it would be a death sentence. They also relocate them to a croc farm if available.

29 minutes ago, gvallee said:

They also relocate them to a croc farm if available.

Handbags?😳

Allan