Stranger in a Strange Land

5 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

I'm a 14 year old labradoodle, but don't write me off any time soon. I don't smell like an old dog and am still learning new stuff

I thought one dog year was seven human years.....🤩

23 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hmm. Maybe I'll change my name to Flash.

Don't flash in Liverpool you will get some peculiar responses.

Allan

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I didn't attend mass this morning but I think it's Sunday again

https://edostrange.blogspot.com/2020/08/street.html

I love your street images Edo. You're very talented. And I'm here editing my birds... It's aperitif time, so a glass of white wine is helping doing so.

Love good street photography.  They are time capsules of life.  In one click of the shutter, a record of time has been recorded.  Hairstyles, clothing, cars, businesses etc...  So fun to look at. New York City may be one of the best places for street photography as people seem more willing to ignore you.

I always liked this snap I shot at Coney Island (never has sold).

USA  New York City Brooklyn NY NYC Coney Island amusement park - three 3 older people sunbathe on the boardwalk Stock Photo

Entertaining post, Edo. I've always loved street photography. However, I don't do as much of it as I used to for a number of reasons. With many places strengthening privacy laws, Liverpool might become one of the last bastions of traditional street photography. Someone zoomed this Vancouver image a few days ago. I guess it might qualify as a street photograph. Perhaps this gentleman is a stranger in a strange land as well.

Older man sitting alone at a table outside a restaurant cafe in the Mount Pleasant district of Vancouver, BC, Canada - Stock Image

Edited by John Mitchell

I just looked up some photos by well-known street photographers. I thought people shouldn’t be looking at you. But I saw examples, like this one I took when the gentlemen caught me, turning his head at the last second!

So I guess this qualifies.

B1T7K9.jpg

I have never been keen on the term 'street photography', not the photography that is made just the term. I prefer to say 'urban documentary' but I'm not too fussed about it to argue or debate.  I was on a bus in NYC some years ago and saw saw Bruce Gilden stalking the streets outside with his Leica and flashgun. I have heard him speak a few times and he is brusque and direct and doesn't suffer fools. Especially when they ask dumb questions. We all have our 'lines in the sand' when it comes to liking folk. However, I do like him, his attitude and his work. 

Urban documentary has always been part of my ongoing work (not Alamy type work) and there are some here: https://www.pete-davis-photography.com/city-stories

here: https://www.pete-davis-photography.com/home-and-away and here - new book: https://www.pete-davis-photography.com/innocence-of-eye

Alamy told me off for posting my links here but I notice that others post links to their blog so I hope I may be excused for just posting these to just to join in and add to the discussion. 

Pete Davis

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I just looked up some photos by well-known street photographers. I thought people shouldn’t be looking at you. But I saw examples, like this one I took when the gentlemen caught me, turning his head at the last second!

So I guess this qualifies.

For me, the best street photos tend to be candid. However, I'd say that there is all kinds of street photography.

The main thing is to tell a story. No?

Sorry Edo, PU is short for personal use, when somebody buys a picture of a tv remote thinking they are getting a tv remote and are disapointed when they only get a picture.  I was typing faster than I was thinking.

Good blog!  I think stylised food and lifestyle pictures are fascinating.  I just can't see the image in my head to be able to create them.

Cheers 😀