Stranger in a Strange Land

45 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

No, Boots does the free NHS jab for eligible persons. They encouraged me to check back with them and said they had not yet received any vaccine. I would be happy to pay the 13 pounds, so that's not the problem. 

https://www.boots.com/online/pharmacy-services/winter-flu-jab-services

Well with revenues what they are, and my other industry shut down, the £13 is. I'll wait for free. They brought the age down but I have to wait. Looks like everybody has to wait.

15 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I had chickenpox when I was a kid and have not had shingles....yet.  I do need to get the vaccine soon, thanks for the reminder!  I know some people, including my father, who had a terrible time with shingles.  Often it is described to be like a severe case of both a sunburn and a poison ivy rash, combined!  And it can leave scarring.

Scarring, yes. Most people get over them ok. But some have nerve damage since they follow a nerve, and feel pain in that area for years. My mother felt pain for months after her skin was perfectly healed. She could barely sleep.

Nerves are a funny thing. I can sometimes pluck a hair around an eyebrow and feel a sting on my abdomen. Depends on which hair I pluck! 😂
Not sure if this is a nerve thing, but if I clean my left ear with a swab, it makes me cough pretty hard. Other ear. Nothing.

Found the answer.

A less well-known side effect of sticking things in your ear is an automatic coughing reflex – nicknamed “Arnold’s ear-cough reflex” after the man who first described it, Friedrich Arnold, a 19th-century German scholar.

Edited by Betty LaRue

12 hours ago, NYCat said:

Don't delay, Betty. I got mine a few weeks ago at CVS because a friend of mine feared that they will run out this year because of the awareness of viruses now. The woman who gave me the shot said they were already running out. Speaking of not delaying. I had a very minor shingles episode and because I went straight to my doctor he was able to give me something that stopped it in its tracks. I don't remember what it was but it has to be given very soon to work. Stay healthy everyone!

Paulette

Thanks for that. I’ll go tomorrow. I’ve always waited until October.

Had my flu jab Saturday morning at Hadleigh Health Centre (NHS) Very impressed how smoothly they were processing the large number of over 75s and getting them through a one-way system. In and out in about 5 minutes. I think I hardly felt a prick as they pushed the needle in. In all of those over-75s there were no hobbling old crocks!

My problem with not getting the jab on Sunday was my fault, not the NHS. The NHS has been great here from the day I arrived. But Boots has been great too, and they're closer. I'll wait on Boots till Friday and then call and book a slot with the NHS.

75? I remember when I was 75. I think I was 76 the last time I got into a punch up in the NY Subway.  

All this talk about chickenpox has brought back memories of my catching it in the 1950s when I was about 26 years old. My wife had visited a friend who's young daughter had the disease and unfortunately for me she brought it home and gave it to me, my wife wasn't affected herself. I was very ill for about two weeks. with a painful rash all over my body and I was off work for about three weeks. Fortunately, I've never had a case of shingles, so I suppose I should feel myself lucky. I managed to get a free flu jab last week, Hurrah for our NHS! 

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

75? I remember when I was 75. I think I was 76 the last time I got into a punch up in the NY Subway.  

We are more or less back to the bad old days. I was called an "old bag" by a very intoxicated man this morning. Better than having him find me attractive. I just kept moving on in my experienced New Yorker way. Hoping to see good old days back some day.

Paulette

24 minutes ago, NYCat said:

We are more or less back to the bad old days. I was called an "old bag" by a very intoxicated man this morning. Better than having him find me attractive. I just kept moving on in my experienced New Yorker way. Hoping to see good old days back some day.

Paulette

NO WAY!        How rude.

Allan

Thank you, Allan, but I mean it that it is better to not be attractive to a man who can barely stagger down the street. We are seeing more of that these days I'm sorry to say.

Paulette

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Thank you, Allan, but I mean it that it is better to not be attractive to a man who can barely stagger down the street. We are seeing more of that these days I'm sorry to say.

Paulette

Agreed but if he can hardly stagger down the street a well aimed kick will help him not to stagger anymore and you can walk away.

Allan

PS I don't usually advocate violence but it can't be helped in self defence sometimes.

ITMA

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Agreed but if he can hardly stagger down the street a well aimed kick will help him not to stagger anymore and you can walk away.

Allan

PS I don't usually advocate violence but it can't be helped in self defence sometimes.

ITMA

No way, Allan. The smart move in NYC is to just walk away. We have somehow not found a way to take care of our crazy and/or addicted population and with the emergence of the idea that we should "defund the police" it is advisable to take great care in the great city of New York. Not my idea of how to go about our governance but it is what it is. Don't mean to get political. Just surviving as best I can.

Paulette

3 minutes ago, NYCat said:

No way, Allan. The smart move in NYC is to just walk away. We have somehow not found a way to take care of our crazy and/or addicted population and with the emergence of the idea that we should "defund the police" it is advisable to take great care in the great city of New York. Not my idea of how to go about our governance but it is what it is. Don't mean to get political. Just surviving as best I can.

Paulette

OK Paulette you need to go with the situation as it stands in your part of the world as we all do the world over. Walking away is not always possible but is the wise move in most situations.

Allan

I got my flu shot at Walmart This morning. Very easy. Last year, my doctor ran out and every other place I tried, like CVS and Walgreens. But because Walmart had bought up about 70% of the vaccine, they had it when nobody else did.
I have no idea if it’s like that in other countries. Do you all have Walmarts? I know you have McDonald’s.

BTW, my shot was free, too.

Paulette, I’m sorry things are rough. I’ve been told that people, in quite large numbers, are fleeing NYC and California, especially the LA area. My granddaughter is one of them. She’s in Oklahoma City now, and has found a job that pays twice what she earned in LA in spite of the cost of living being double there. She’s a Radiology Technologist.

36 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I got my flu shot at Walmart This morning. Very easy. Last year, my doctor ran out and every other place I tried, like CVS and Walgreens. But because Walmart had bought up about 70% of the vaccine, they had it when nobody else did.
I have no idea if it’s like that in other countries. Do you all have Walmarts? I know you have McDonald’s.

Paulette, I’m sorry things are rough. I’ve been told that people, in quite large numbers, are fleeing NYC and California, especially the LA area. My granddaughter is one of them. She’s in Oklahoma City now, and has found a job that pays twice what she earned in LA in spite of the cost of living being double there. She’s a Radiology Technologist.

I don't visit Walmart often, but their in-store pharmacies give free flu shots here as well.

This info is mainly for Canadians, but there's some good general flu / COVID-19 info. Flu shots usually begin earlier in the US than in Canada because there are so many more people to vaccinate in the US.

Edited by John Mitchell

On 05/10/2020 at 00:58, Thyrsis said:

When my daughter first started school she caught chicken pox and passed it on to me and my son, I was about 34. They both recovered in a few days but I was really poorly for a week or more. Blisters everywhere!!

I was teaching when I got chicken pox so I most likely got it from one of the kids. I actually had trouble getting diagnosed at first because I didn't fit the usual demographic. As I remember, I was out of commission for a week or two as well.

45 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I also know people who are leaving California. It is where I was born and grew up so I still have relatives and friends there. Idaho is a popular choice.. and Arizona. A friend of mine here has moved to Tennessee but I somehow can't see myself leaving New York City. I just love the lifestyle... no car .... a couple of blocks from a gourmet grocery .. lots of arts of all kinds and a surprising number of free things to do. Of course, with Covid we have lost theater and concerts. I volunteer as an usher and ticket taker for the Voices of Ascension (a professional choral group that plays in a church near me). They are doing virtual events and the first one was quite wonderful. Our artistic director talked about the music and then a selection would be shown. They are sending a piece by email every morning and it starts my day right. They have won a lot of Grammys and I do miss hearing them in person. NO amplification... just wonderful human voices.

Paulette

Paulette 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

. NO amplification... just wonderful human voices.

Paulette

Paulette 

Yes nothing nicer than beautiful choral singing!

I wish there could be more of this. Live music is often played far too loud. Pre Covid my wife and I attended a number of folk concerts in small local venues and some of the performers used totally unnecessary amplification, while others sounded just great without.

They started having a music night at our local some years ago, where I used to go for a quiet pint and a chat. Again acoustic would have been fine, but amplified just killed the atmosphere. We took our custom elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I also know people who are leaving California. It is where I was born and grew up so I still have relatives and friends there. Idaho is a popular choice.. and Arizona. A friend of mine here has moved to Tennessee but I somehow can't see myself leaving New York City. I just love the lifestyle... no car .... a couple of blocks from a gourmet grocery .. lots of arts of all kinds and a surprising number of free things to do. Of course, with Covid we have lost theater and concerts. I volunteer as an usher and ticket taker for the Voices of Ascension (a professional choral group that plays in a church near me). They are doing virtual events and the first one was quite wonderful. Our artistic director talked about the music and then a selection would be shown. They are sending a piece by email every morning and it starts my day right. They have won a lot of Grammys and I do miss hearing them in person. NO amplification... just wonderful human voices.

Paulette

Paulette 

Ah what a good idea, I have their Beyond Chant, let's play that.

If you like that sort of thing: Huelgas; Stile

wim

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Paulette 

If a place is in your blood, it’s hard to give it up. I had to give up Oklahoma for Wichita, Kansas in 2018. A lot of things are different here, but the people are pretty much the same. After all, it’s just one state away, so regional warmth & friendliness goes on.

I took note of what my granddaughter said after being in Oklahoma for a week. “Gosh, I forgot how friendly people are here!”  She grew up visiting both sets of grandparents in Oklahoma City on Thanksgiving or Christmas.  She was raised In Knoxville, Tennessee, and the people are warm and friendly there, too.

For instance, last summer I’d bought a new tire for my wheelbarrow. I had my garage door open and was sitting just outside in the breeze trying to put the new one on. I’m not mechanical. Parts were not fitting properly and I was struggling. Mike, my next-door neighbor, saw me and asked if he could help. He spent an hour on it and had to make a trip to Home Depot for an adapter. Wouldn’t let me pay him. That's just one of a dozen things he’s volunteered to help me with in 2 1/2 years, and his wife gives me vegetables she cans and cookies.

The woman over my back fence saw me on a ladder washing windows. Next thing she was over on another of my ladders washing windows with me. She brings me small gifts for every holiday, even Easter.
I don’t have the cultural things like you, Paulette, but never really had an interest so no loss. The reason being in the wide open country here I was busy raising 3 kids, writing, painting, fishing, camping, riding my horse, water skiing, snow skiing and going to football games. My concerts were Boots Randolph, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings.  And dancing to soft rock bands, or to disco, and country line dances like to “Boot Scootin’ Boogie” or two-step dancing to “Tulsa Time”.

Everybody has their own way of life and what they love to do.  Even though I love to paint, I’m not a part of the art scene. The reason? If people knew I painted, if I joined a group, there would be expectations. I’m too much of an independent cuss to fulfill someone else’s expectations, other than the people I love. I joined the Art Association once so I could enter my paintings in a show. Next thing I was railroaded onto a committee to do things I had absolutely no experience doing. I was so shy, felt so inadequate, that it was a horrible experience. Those people were experts at browbeating.

Ah, well.

• Love 1

I love New York City, as well as Paris, for basically the same reasons: public transportation, ease of getting around, a plethora of things to photograph, and historical/cultural sites and events. All the little neighborhoods have their own personalities and turning a corner can bring you into a whole new area of the city. Over the past several years I’ve spent a lot of time in both places and I’m always so much healthier when there, mostly from all the walking. I’m also glad I’m not in either city at the moment, but I’d make do, if necessary. I have friends in Paris and hope to get back there as soon as traveling becomes safe again, but now that my youngest has left NYC, I’m not sure I’ll ever return for more than a short trip. Having a free place to stay in the city was always a real plus. 

Dealing with unsavory people on the streets is never pleasant. I had a young woman (not a street person, however) go off on me last year because she didn’t want to move off the door-stoop so I could exit my apartment building. She was already worked up about something, and decided she’d try to take her aggressions out on me. Sometimes these situations can almost ruin your day, but it sounds like you know just the right way to handle things, Paulette. 

58 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I love New York City, as well as Paris, for basically the same reasons: public transportation, ease of getting around, a plethora of things to photograph, and historical/cultural sites and events. All the little neighborhoods have their own personalities and turning a corner can bring you into a whole new area of the city. Over the past several years I’ve spent a lot of time in both places and I’m always so much healthier when there, mostly from all the walking. I’m also glad I’m not in either city at the moment, but I’d make do, if necessary. I have friends in Paris and hope to get back there as soon as traveling becomes safe again, but now that my youngest has left NYC, I’m not sure I’ll ever return for more than a short trip. Having a free place to stay in the city was always a real plus. 

Although I've never visited New York City or Paris, I can understand your feelings for them. I was born in London, leaving when 2 when my parents relocated 40 miles away to Aylesbury where I still live. When a schoolboy I used to regularly stay during holidays at my grandmothers in London. I would often walk exploring different areas, often walking from Wood Green to Central London and back. When a teenager and older if seeing a band play in London I would often stay overnight in Wood Green. In recent years I've been travelling into London regularly for photography 2 - 3 times a week, but only once recently since early March due to Coronavirus risks. Then I travelled into London by train but avoided the tube, walking from Maylebone Station to Westminster, a relatively short and interesting walk. I thought I would be doing this more regularly until risks started increasing. Now I'll risk assess any London events I might be interested in. I enjoy London, but my current location allowed me to safely walk countryside foot paths a few minutes walk from home, until the HS2 construction preparation began recently.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 1