Stranger in a Strange Land

In NYC, the shot would have cost over $200. In the UK, I'm too old to get a shingles jab. 

"Patients remain eligible for the shingles vaccine up until their 80th birthday - people aged 80 years and over are not eligible for the shingles vaccination because the vaccine becomes less effective as people get older."

16 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

This reminds me that I still need to get the Shingles vaccine.  I have a doc appt next week, will have to ask him about getting it!

Do it! I spoke to my 90+ old neighbor across the street this morning as we both were fetching our newspapers. She said she’d had shingles twice in her lifetime and it was so bad she couldn’t stand a sheet on her at night. She got the shot after. You’d think after the first time....
The incident of long-term lingering nerve pain chances increase as we get older. 

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

In NYC, the shot would have cost over $200. In the UK, I'm too old to get a shingles jab. 

"Patients remain eligible for the shingles vaccine up until their 80th birthday - people aged 80 years and over are not eligible for the shingles vaccination because the vaccine becomes less effective as people get older."

That stinks. Less effective doesn’t mean not effective at all. Some protection is better than none. Yes, our immune system wanes as we age. That’s why there is a High Dose flu shot for seniors.

The two shots cost me almost $300 total since I had them two years ago when they weren’t covered by my insurance. And, yes, my arm felt like it was going to fall of for several days after each injection. Worth the cost and the aggravation though.

Not my picture. I saw these cases in person when I worked for an ophthalmologist. When the infection followed the face nerve, often the eye was threatened. If it involves the cornea, scarring can ruin vision. I wonder if this person had the sores down into the ear canal. If so, not good. As it is, the ear appears so swollen it seems the ear is closed.

herpes-zoster-infection-of-the-left-side

Edited by Betty LaRue

Ok now. After that HORRIBLE image I have to relate my one experience with shingles many years ago. I thought it was an insect bite at first, but the location at my waist and the way it was changing had me rush to my doctor. He gave me an antiviral shot that can knock it out if you get it soon enough. I was just over the time limit (think that was 72 hours) and it worked. Shingles gone. Since then I have had the two shingles vaccine shots. So if you ever suspect it don't delay in seeing your doctor.

Paulette

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Not my picture. I saw these cases in person when I worked for an ophthalmologist. When the infection followed the face nerve, often the eye was threatened. If it involves the cornea, scarring can ruin vision. I wonder if this person had the sores down into the ear canal. If so, not good. As it is, the ear appears so swollen it seems the ear is closed.

herpes-zoster-infection-of-the-left-side

Oh, Betty... is there any way I can unsee that pic?

58 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

The two shots cost me almost $300 total since I had them two years ago when they weren’t covered by my insurance. And, yes, my arm felt like it was going to fall of for several days after each injection. Worth the cost and the aggravation though.

Presumably different vaccines, but my shot caused me to be aware of the spot for a couple of days, but no pain.  

49 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Oh, Betty... is there any way I can unsee that pic?

Sorry, John! Maybe hypnosis?

I just wanted people to be aware of just how awful shingles can be. I had decided even if it cost me, I was going to get vaccinated, one way or another. Very pleased to get it.

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Ok now. After that HORRIBLE image I have to relate my one experience with shingles many years ago. I thought it was an insect bite at first, but the location at my waist and the way it was changing had me rush to my doctor. He gave me an antiviral shot that can knock it out if you get it soon enough. I was just over the time limit (think that was 72 hours) and it worked. Shingles gone. Since then I have had the two shingles vaccine shots. So if you ever suspect it don't delay in seeing your doctor.

Paulette

My sister had an experience like yours. She thought it was a spider bite. She caught it early enough, like you.

23 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Carol,  I was criticising the name, not the coffee itself. Basically, it's just what Italians call caffe latte. 

Robert, there was a home espresso machine at some of the flats I stayed at in the past two years. I don't see myself moving around with one, not an item for a nomad. I used a French press, drink black Italian coffee with sugar, but just two large mugs in the morning. In NYC, I often had a caffe macchiato in the afternoon. 

Allan, I see myself as a guest in your country. I'm not here to tell people how to do things, although sometimes I have those thoughts. 

Apologies Edo, must have been reading too quickly😁

Carol

On 30/11/2020 at 11:52, Robert M Estall said:

Once you discover how easily these home espresso machines make superb coffee you'll chuck all those instant jars away. The ones which use pods are a waste of time and money. As to flat whites, Lattes and most of current offerings, I really don't get it. Cappuccino qualifies as coffee, most of the rest don't. Why we call watered down Espresso AMERICANO I have no idea. In Italy they give you a glass of water alongside your espresso just in case you are thirsty. I'm pleasantly surprised how so many little cafes in the UK have a decent Espresso machine and will give a proper coffee. Mostly they are proper Gaggia machines though there are a few alternatives out there.

Robert, I'm going to stick to my jars😁

I think over the years I've tried many types of coffee even going back to that thing called a percolator😁 hope I'm not showing my age here !  Tried grinding coffee beans etc.,They were all good at first but then I got fed up with them ha ha.  Also I hate having gadgets all over the kitchen worktop and no more room in my cupboards to store them....it's instant for me but enjoy yours😁

Carol

At the Sea Lion Lodge in the Falkland Islands they would put a French press on the table and we would dutifully press it. Then we realized that it was instant coffee. No grounds.

Paulette

The chef at that lodge was truly wonderful and we were willing to forgive the coffee because our meals were fabulous. The chefs in the Falklands all seemed to be from Chile. The other trip where the food was wonderful was the ship in Svalbard. The chef was Russian and we ate very, very well. 

Paulette

On 30/11/2020 at 12:30, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, I see myself as a guest in your country. I'm not here to tell people how to do things, although sometimes I have those thoughts. 

Edo you have just knocked me back. I do not know how you could have thought that I was criticising you in some way in my last post????

I made no mention of your status in this country nor that you were trying to tell people how to do things.

In fact I am with you all the way with your problems, I sympathise and consider you to be a resident not a guest.

The only time I try to tell people how to do things is when they ask for my help. Or they post a question on the forums and I think I can answer it, even if only partially.

Allan (one of your best friends.)

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

My situation is NHS policy. 

Understood. In Canada, the more effective vaccine that I mentioned seems to be the norm. We do have to pay for the shots, though. About $150 each, I believe.

However, Trudeau claims to be on case, and I think that we will eventually have a proper PharmaCare plan.

17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I didn't think you were criticising me. I'm just trying to make what I feel is my position clear. Sure, I'm a legal resident in the UK for the second time and glad to be. 

Sincere appologies for my misunderstanding of your comment.

Allan

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to this forum and this thread, I am just back from getting my first of two jabs of the Shingrix vaccine for Shingles.  I was reminded to get back to my doctor about it and they got me in today!  So far I feel good, no pain in the arm but it has only been an hour or so.