Jump to content

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The most curious thing about the pain med combo of paracetamol and codeine is that it doesn't effect my pain at all . . . or only slightly. So if I take those pills all I'm doing is taking the risk of side effects. 

 

 

I don't get pain relief from morphine-- which is supposed to be so powerful. Basically, I am still in pain but just don't care. Percocet has always been very effective at eliminating pain and I've usually saved a couple from the dozen or so I was given. Just in case of an emergency need. I haven't ever felt an urge to take them as some sort of intoxicant. I know they can be dangerous for some people. It's interesting how differently these thing affect us.

 

Paulette

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said, I understand what these terms mean.

 

But you're right, Allan. Black Friday was not begun in the UK. 🥵 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/black-friday/2020/11/27/black-friday-name-why-called-what-history-sales-2020-event/

 

While we're focused on U.S. speak, I hate the business of using empty superlatives. We know who's to blame for that. It's all over the BBC now.

 

In the land of William Shakespeare, I don't understand why better terms aren't used. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I apologise to the people of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland for my comment on Black Friday. I can't recall every hearing it in the States. It's been some time since I've done Christmas. (I still don't like 'flat white', and I'll add 'a stuffed roll' to that.)

 

 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I apologise to the people of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland for my comment on Black Friday. I can't recall every hearing it in the States. It's been some time since I've done Christmas. (I still don't like 'flat white', and I'll add 'a stuffed roll' to that.)

 

 

 

 

Edo you have no need to apologise. We can't know everything but we try and if we don't ask we never will.

 

Allan

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I apologise to the people of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland for my comment on Black Friday. I can't recall every hearing it in the States. It's been some time since I've done Christmas. (I still don't like 'flat white', and I'll add 'a stuffed roll' to that.)

 

 

 

Ed, don't apologise, these are cultural things that not everyone can know. My Austrian German teacher still gets worked up about why we call WWI the Great War. I keep telling her it doesn't mean great as in amazing....

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I apologise to the people of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland for my comment on Black Friday. I can't recall every hearing it in the States. It's been some time since I've done Christmas. (I still don't like 'flat white', and I'll add 'a stuffed roll' to that.)

 

 

 

I don't like flat white coffee either or any of the fancy other ones.  For me it's black Nescafe Gold Blend😄 probably far too much of it !

 

Carol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you discover how easily these home espresso machines make superb coffee you'll chuck all those instant jars away. The ones which use pods are a waste of time and money. As to flat whites, Lattes and most of current offerings, I really don't get it. Cappuccino qualifies as coffee, most of the rest don't. Why we call watered down Espresso AMERICANO I have no idea. In Italy they give you a glass of water alongside your espresso just in case you are thirsty. I'm pleasantly surprised how so many little cafes in the UK have a decent Espresso machine and will give a proper coffee. Mostly they are proper Gaggia machines though there are a few alternatives out there.

Edited by Robert M Estall
Link to post
Share on other sites

Carol,  I was criticising the name, not the coffee itself. Basically, it's just what Italians call caffe latte. 

 

Robert, there was a home espresso machine at some of the flats I stayed at in the past two years. I don't see myself moving around with one, not an item for a nomad. I used a French press, drink black Italian coffee with sugar, but just two large mugs in the morning. In NYC, I often had a caffe macchiato in the afternoon. 

 

Allan, I see myself as a guest in your country. I'm not here to tell people how to do things, although sometimes I have those thoughts. 

 

 

 

Edited by Ed Rooney
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, I see myself as a guest in your country. I'm not here to tell people how to do things, although sometimes I have those thoughts.

That, but also better than that, a lawful resident. There are quite a few things you could tell us that we should listen to, Ed.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Mark. Of course I lived here (Oxfordshire) in the '80s. Not just a lawful resident with free healthcare, but my Irish passport will allow me to sidestep many of the restriction of Brexit. Right now, I spend 87% of my time feeling sorry for myself with this broken arm. 🤭

Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhere, this thread? We discussed shingles.  I’ve wanted to be vaccinated for a long time, but was put off figuring my copay would be too large. Years ago when I investigated it, my insurance wouldn’t cover it. The other day while online, I saw that it was covered now. The Shingrix vaccine is pricy.  A couple of days ago, I went to the pharmacy to pick up refill on a med.
On a whim, I asked if they gave the Shingrix vaccine there. Yes. I asked the young man if he could tell me what my copay would be. I had to fill out a form before he could investigate the price, so I did.  After a wait, he told me zero was my cost. Medicare and my supplemental insurance covered it all.

i got the shot, and the young lady who gave it told me it would make my arm sore. I might have mild flu symptoms, which I didn’t. Sore? About 5 hours after the shot, I felt like I needed a sling. It went past sore, which you notice if you move your arm, press or lie on it. This was pain. My arm just hanging by my side was bad, but relieved somewhat if supported by my chair armrest.

The good thing? By bedtime, the pain was gone and I was just very sore.

I'm happy to be protected. Bad news is I have to have a second shot in 2-6 months.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In NYC, the shot would have cost over $200. In the UK, I'm too old to get a shingles jab. 

 

"Patients remain eligible for the shingles vaccine up until their 80th birthday - people aged 80 years and over are not eligible for the shingles vaccination because the vaccine becomes less effective as people get older."

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

This reminds me that I still need to get the Shingles vaccine.  I have a doc appt next week, will have to ask him about getting it!

Do it! I spoke to my 90+ old neighbor across the street this morning as we both were fetching our newspapers. She said she’d had shingles twice in her lifetime and it was so bad she couldn’t stand a sheet on her at night. She got the shot after. You’d think after the first time....
The incident of long-term lingering nerve pain chances increase as we get older. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

In NYC, the shot would have cost over $200. In the UK, I'm too old to get a shingles jab. 

 

"Patients remain eligible for the shingles vaccine up until their 80th birthday - people aged 80 years and over are not eligible for the shingles vaccination because the vaccine becomes less effective as people get older."

That stinks. Less effective doesn’t mean not effective at all. Some protection is better than none. Yes, our immune system wanes as we age. That’s why there is a High Dose flu shot for seniors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The two shots cost me almost $300 total since I had them two years ago when they weren’t covered by my insurance. And, yes, my arm felt like it was going to fall of for several days after each injection. Worth the cost and the aggravation though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my picture. I saw these cases in person when I worked for an ophthalmologist. When the infection followed the face nerve, often the eye was threatened. If it involves the cornea, scarring can ruin vision. I wonder if this person had the sores down into the ear canal. If so, not good. As it is, the ear appears so swollen it seems the ear is closed.

 

herpes-zoster-infection-of-the-left-side

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok now. After that HORRIBLE image I have to relate my one experience with shingles many years ago. I thought it was an insect bite at first, but the location at my waist and the way it was changing had me rush to my doctor. He gave me an antiviral shot that can knock it out if you get it soon enough. I was just over the time limit (think that was 72 hours) and it worked. Shingles gone. Since then I have had the two shingles vaccine shots. So if you ever suspect it don't delay in seeing your doctor.

 

Paulette

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Not my picture. I saw these cases in person when I worked for an ophthalmologist. When the infection followed the face nerve, often the eye was threatened. If it involves the cornea, scarring can ruin vision. I wonder if this person had the sores down into the ear canal. If so, not good. As it is, the ear appears so swollen it seems the ear is closed.

 

herpes-zoster-infection-of-the-left-side

 

Oh, Betty... is there any way I can unsee that pic?

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

The two shots cost me almost $300 total since I had them two years ago when they weren’t covered by my insurance. And, yes, my arm felt like it was going to fall of for several days after each injection. Worth the cost and the aggravation though.

 

Presumably different vaccines, but my shot caused me to be aware of the spot for a couple of days, but no pain.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

 

Oh, Betty... is there any way I can unsee that pic?

Sorry, John! Maybe hypnosis?

I just wanted people to be aware of just how awful shingles can be. I had decided even if it cost me, I was going to get vaccinated, one way or another. Very pleased to get it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Ok now. After that HORRIBLE image I have to relate my one experience with shingles many years ago. I thought it was an insect bite at first, but the location at my waist and the way it was changing had me rush to my doctor. He gave me an antiviral shot that can knock it out if you get it soon enough. I was just over the time limit (think that was 72 hours) and it worked. Shingles gone. Since then I have had the two shingles vaccine shots. So if you ever suspect it don't delay in seeing your doctor.

 

Paulette

My sister had an experience like yours. She thought it was a spider bite. She caught it early enough, like you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.