Our first one would have been bought over here in 1961 and taken back to Canada after Dad's sabbatical year. It caused quite a lot of comments. I remember the chap who came up to me and said: Son you have four flat tyres there. Radial tyres hadn't arrived. The front seats were like a mushy armchair, very comfortable but nothing like a normal car seat. Thankfully it didn't have many problems because finding a mechanic to work on it was not easy. I was never up to speed on the model numbers but the second one had the swiveling headlights. A little more power I think. One little bolt removed and the whole back wing came off before you could get at the wheel which had just one locking central nut. The jacking system  used  a prop and the hydraulic suspension to get the wheels off the ground. When it came to the Canadian winter, it was in a different league to everything else on the road. I even raced it once on a circuit we laid out on a frozen lake. I forget how long I got grounded for that.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
Had an appointment at Aintree University Hospital Nov 24th to see about my broken arm. I was early, even though it was a 30-minute taxi ride. Going, we got stuck in traffic at one point. The ride back was only 20 minutes. The ride cost 15 pounds going, 12 coming back.

I was seen by a nice, very young Indian doctor, who had to order a second X-ray view like on my first visit at the closer hospital.

The prognosis is that it will take another 4 weeks for the break to heal itself and for me to be semi-normal again. I’m to continue wearing a sling and do one exercise the doctor showed me. 

He also said, that if I can tolerate the constant pain level, I should discontinue taking the codeine-paracetamol. I have another appointment with him in two weeks. After the long, stressful day, I had a bad night. 

Stay safe, people.

Edo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Just now, Ed Rooney said:
Had an appointment at Aintree University Hospital Nov 24th to see about my broken arm. I was early, even though it was a 30-minute taxi ride. Going, we got stuck in traffic at one point. The ride back was only 20 minutes. The ride cost 15 pounds going, 12 coming back.

I was seen by a nice, very young Indian doctor, who had to order a second X-ray view like on my first visit at the closer hospital.

The prognosis is that it will take another 4 weeks for the break to heal itself and for me to be semi-normal again. I’m to continue wearing a sling and do one exercise the doctor showed me. 

He also said, that if I can tolerate the constant pain level, I should discontinue taking the codeine-paracetamol. I have another appointment with him in two weeks. After the long, stressful day, I had a bad night. 

Stay safe, people.

Edo

Ed, sounds rubbish, but at least you're on the mend. Good luck!

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Stay safe, people.

Edo

I know you are very good at it and always keep your sense of humour (humor just for you), but if you can try and concentrate on the good side. When I was in a lot of pain after surgery, I kept saying to myself 'one less minute, one less minute'. You are on the right track for recovery. It will soon be a bad memory. Take care and thank you for the update. I was wondering how you were doing.

My answer to most questions and suggestions is: thanks, I'm doing the best I can. 

Could one of you ask the sun to pop out for a minute? It never listens to me.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Rubbish, Steve? I'm impressed with the NHS. So far. 

Morning Ed,

I meant the arm and the pain. I've no doubt you're enjoying the 'free' healthcare compared to the insurance system in the States. Good that you're still able to get this sorted when Covid is sucking up so many resources.

Sun, what's that? The peculiar geography of where my village is sited, plus maybe the Danube not being too far away means that we've had days of mist and fog...... 🌫️

6 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ah, sorry for my misunderstanding. 

Have you read Alan Furst's novel, Dark Star? The last part is set alone the Danube. 

No, I haven't come across Alan Furst, just Graham Greene. I haven't even seen the Third Man. Obviously I'm culturally lacking!

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

My answer to most questions and suggestions is: thanks, I'm doing the best I can. 

Some time tomorrow Edo, best I could get.  😉

Codeine always knocks me out completely. My drug of choice is percocet. Effective and lets me function. I hope it's OK to take at least one pill to let you get some sleep. Time does pass though sometimes not fast enough!

Paulette

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've made it an offer it couldn't refuse😎

20 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Codeine always knocks me out completely. My drug of choice is percocet. Effective and lets me function. I hope it's OK to take at least one pill to let you get some sleep. Time does pass though sometimes not fast enough!

Paulette

We tend not to self- medicate much here. Certainly not with the one you mention- from what I read it's a powerful opiate painkiller. I don't think it would be prescribed for a broken arm- it sound like one of those you get long-term because it can be addictive and has withdrawal problems.

But your doctor must know what he's doing.

Lots of people have preferences for non prescription painkillers. I've never understood how anyone would shell out for branded painkillers when the generic own-brand option which will be exactly the same thing at a fraction of the cost. This is one of those areas where  "you get what you pay for" doesn't work out. Fool & money soon parted fits better. Ibuprofen can be more effective than paracetamol for some but reduces the effect of high blood pressure treatments which many of us elder folk are on. Codeine might help you sleep but I wouldn't want to take that for a month. I can take it  without getting knocked out for a day or two and it doesn't result in constipation which can be a side effect. If I take paracetamol for more than a couple of days  I start getting low level headaches which is counter-productive. So yeh, do without if you can. Easy to say...

We're planning to take the dog for a seaside walk tomorrow as there seems to be a good chance of some sun. Being half Lab, she loves going in for a swim but it's a bit cold for that.

Edited by Robert M Estall

I took opiates with my broken arm.  I mostly took them at night to help sleep but I hated how groggy I felt throughout the next morning, not to mention, they can make you constipated.  So I only used them when I REALLY needed it.  Not sure about in the U.K., doctors here can only prescribe around 10 at a time so you can't get too much into a mess with them.  Only a quack doctor would keep prescribing them to the same patient.  My daughter, the nurse, was always very concerned about me taking them....I kept reassuring her that I was in no danger of getting addicted.

the diff with Rx meds in the uk is the first NHS hospital gave me the codeine/paracetamol for 3 days with no charge. I was able to buy a box of 32 at the pharmacy but paid for them. yes opiates can be addictive so are not for long-term use. and paracetamol can damage your kidneys and liver. I will try to tough it out without either. I am a bit better now than I was last night and this morning. my biggest fear is to have another fall. 

11 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

with no charge

That sort of thing happens all the time in the NHS, Ed, You'll get used to it.;) Mind how you go.

I reckon paracetamol is OK in moderation- what would I do for hangovers otherwise?🍷but I've never taken it for more than a day or two (not for the hangovers), so what do I know.

I’m allergic to Codeine. No rash or any of the typical things. It cause me to have nightmares with my eyes open. I guess you’d call it hallucinations. It was prescribed in a cough syrup for a sleep-robbing severe cough after the flu. So instead of coughing, I lay there with my eyes open watching bad movies.

I tend to be very careful with any pain meds. I’ve had surgeries and been prescribed 20-30 pills. I take one the night at home after the surgery. Maybe one more the next day, but that's not a given. Then acetaminophen occasionally. I absolutely hate anything that messes with my mind, and am very tuned in and against anything habit forming.

15 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m allergic to Codeine. No rash or any of the typical things. It cause me to have nightmares with my eyes open. I guess you’d call it hallucinations. It was prescribed in a cough syrup for a sleep-robbing severe cough after the flu. So instead of coughing, I lay there with my eyes open watching bad movies.

I tend to be very careful with any pain meds. I’ve had surgeries and been prescribed 20-30 pills. I take one the night at home after the surgery. Maybe one more the next day, but that's not a given. Then acetaminophen occasionally. I absolutely hate anything that messes with my mind, and am very tuned in and against anything habit forming.

When I had my hip replaced in 2018, the hospital gave me a prescription for Tylenol 3, which is laced with codeine. It made me feel terrible, and I had trouble sleeping. Consequently, I switched to regular extra-strength Tylenol (acetaminophen), which worked well for me. Acetaminophen is my go-to pain killer. Not sure how effective it would be for a broken arm, though.

54 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's called paracetamol over here, John.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Who dreams all these names up, I wonder.

I usually buy generic acetaminophen, which is cheaper than the branded varieties -- e.g. Tylenol.

Pain killers can be a pain themselves. 😟

The most curious thing about the pain med combo of paracetamol and codeine is that it doesn't effect my pain at all . . . or only slightly. So if I take those pills all I'm doing is taking the risk of side effects. 

Sitting here unable to do my stock photography or write, I've been thinking about some things that have made me wonder. I'll put both US and UK politics aside, put covid aside too, and focus on other details. 

I've always wondered about these two positive things that the British have given negative names: Black Friday and a flat white. A flat white? That sounds about as appetising as a cup of warm water. And Black Friday? Yes, I know what it means, but why use a common term for darkness for a big sale day leading up to Christmas?

Edited by Ed Rooney
13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The most curious thing about the pain med combo of paracetamol and codeine is that it doesn't effect my pain at all . . . or only slightly. So if I take those pills all I'm doing is taking the risk of side effects. 

Sitting here unable to do my stock photography or write, I've been thinking about some things that have made me wonder. I'll put both US and UK politics aside, put covid aside too, and focus on other details. 

I've always wondered about these two positive things that the British have given negative names: Black Friday and a flat white. A flat white? That sounds about as appetising as a cup of warm water. And Black Friday? Yes, I know what it means, but why use a common term for darkness for a big sale day leading up to Christmas?

Black Friday. I always thought that it originated in the US of A.

Flat whight white I thought was introduced by the coffee houses to indicate coffee made with hot water and a splash of milk. Wether Whether it was introduced in the UK or US of A I would not know.

By the way the word "Wether" I wrote above means a castrated ram.

Can't seem to hit the right keys this morning.

Allan