Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Niels Quist said:

 

What about images of fast moving subjects?

 

Niels

 

24 fps in the V and VI model. Need I say more?

Duration also depends on the speed of the card.

There is a Sports action preset under the Scene modes.

 

The problem is with the noise level, so when you have to up the ISO to get a decent shutter speed the noise level increases, which is normal. However with a larger sensor this is easier to remedy in post. With the RX100's you do need good Photoshop skills.

 

Here's a side by side from Models I to VI.

Btw I never use the viewfinder. With the V I have tried once or twice and with the VI I've only tried it to see if it still worked after dropping or hitting it.

(I have versions I; II; V and VI)

 

wim

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

 

24 fps in the V and VI model. Need I say more?

Duration also depends on the speed of the card.

There is a Sports action preset under the Scene modes.

 

The problem is with the noise level, so when you have to up the ISO to get a decent shutter speed the noise level increases, which is normal. However with a larger sensor this is easier to remedy in post. With the RX100's you do need good Photoshop skills.

 

Here's a side by side from Models I to VI.

Btw I never use the viewfinder. With the V I have tried once or twice and with the VI I've only tried it to see if it still worked after dropping or hitting it.

(I have versions I; II; V and VI)

 

wim

 

 

Thanks for the additional information - will be useful in case of an update of the camera.

 

Actually, what I thought of when I was writing,  was the sentence about using "the full auto setting for most images". If so,  cyclists , f.inst, wouldn't get sharp. I'd use it mostly  for quick shots of non-moving subjects.

 

Niels

Edited by Niels Quist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

 

Thanks for the additional information - will be useful in case of an update of the camera.

 

Actually, what I thought of when I was writing,  was the sentence about using "the full auto setting for most images". If so,  cyclists wouldn't get sharp. Mostly fit for non-moving subjects.

 

Niels

 

Yes more or less. It does behave like all cameras with a smaller sensor. So motion blur from camera move is slightly less a problem than with FF mainly because of the shorter focus lengths. However shutter wise it does behave like any other camera so motion blur from subject movement is the same. However because of the insane fps some things are possible that before were not. Every camera is a compromise or trade off.

I do use full auto most of the time too. But there are 2 different full auto settings, that definitely behave differently.

It helps when you still know how a camera works and when to switch off auto and do the thinking and deciding yourself.

 

In the end they all have full manual on board if need be.

However the VI has no uncooked RAW. So a big part of at least the wider end of the lens corrections are computational. Fine, but that also goes for crop and resolution in the corners and along the edges. You win some...

 

wim

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

 

What about images of fast moving subjects?

 

Niels

Not my type of photography for stock but I would have to select other settings if I did go down that line.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NYCat said:

I think one issue in getting sharp photos with the RX100 is that it can be harder to hold steady. I only have the first one so I am holding it out in front of me. It may be easier with the later models that have a viewfinder.

 

Paulette

 

I bought a Richard Franiec grip for my MkII. It glues on and makes holding the camera much easier. I think he's now retired, but I believe there are other firms making similar devices.

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

 

I bought a Richard Franiec grip for my MkII. It glues on and makes holding the camera much easier. I think he's now retired, but I believe there are other firms making similar devices.

 

Alex

 

Excellent addition. I bought one for my Mk 1 model then when I got the Mk 3 model transferred it to that.

 

It took some time to remove it from the first camera but has not left any marks.

 

I find it makes it much easier to hold the camera one handed if needed.

 

Think I need to get another grip for the Mk 1 now.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex Ramsay said:

 

I bought a Richard Franiec grip for my MkII. It glues on and makes holding the camera much easier. I think he's now retired, but I believe there are other firms making similar devices.

 

Alex

 

Thank you, Alex. I do already have one and, yes, it makes a difference. My steadiness has improved over time but one of the first things I noticed about those little cameras is that they are both easier and more difficult to hold. Not so heavy but a certain amount of heaviness seems to make for more stability.

 

Paulette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sony RX100 is great for hiking too. I have a friend who shoots for Crusade Magazine (tfp.org) . He used one for his 100+ mile walk in Spain/Portugal known as the Santiago de Compostella.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought myself a Model 6 for Christmas and took it out for a trial run today. I still need to play with the settings a bit (and maybe read the manual), but I’m also guessing I need to invest in a high quality screen protector for the back. I have a glass one on my Model 4. It’s done a nice job of protecting the screen, but has always seemed a bit too thick. Anyone have any recommendations? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I bought myself a Model 6 for Christmas and took it out for a trial run today. I still need to play with the settings a bit (and maybe read the manual), but I’m also guessing I need to invest in a high quality screen protector for the back. I have a glass one on my Model 4. It’s done a nice job of protecting the screen, but has always seemed a bit too thick. Anyone have any recommendations? 

 

Larmor.

 

wim

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

Larmor.

 

wim

 

Just brings up an empty ebay screen.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Just brings up an empty ebay screen.

 

Allan

 

 

 

That is weird. Try pasting 272903444300 in the search field. Set search to worldwide. Yours may be set at UK only.

Otherwise a worldwide search for Larmor RX100 will do the trick.

This tip originally comes from David Kilpatrick btw. Not the link.

 

wim

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I use wrist straps on both my RX100 6 and a6000. I have a regular shoulder strap on my RX10 'cause it's like a DSLR. With the wrist straps I don't feel they need any extra grips. 

 

Cecile, I have Sony light plastic screen covers. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Yours may be set at UK only.

 

Yes you are correct. Thanks.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.