Sony RX100

1 hour ago, Niels Quist said:

What about images of fast moving subjects?

Niels

24 fps in the V and VI model. Need I say more?

Duration also depends on the speed of the card.

There is a Sports action preset under the Scene modes.

The problem is with the noise level, so when you have to up the ISO to get a decent shutter speed the noise level increases, which is normal. However with a larger sensor this is easier to remedy in post. With the RX100's you do need good Photoshop skills.

Here's a side by side from Models I to VI.

Btw I never use the viewfinder. With the V I have tried once or twice and with the VI I've only tried it to see if it still worked after dropping or hitting it.

(I have versions I; II; V and VI)

wim

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

24 fps in the V and VI model. Need I say more?

Duration also depends on the speed of the card.

There is a Sports action preset under the Scene modes.

The problem is with the noise level, so when you have to up the ISO to get a decent shutter speed the noise level increases, which is normal. However with a larger sensor this is easier to remedy in post. With the RX100's you do need good Photoshop skills.

Here's a side by side from Models I to VI.

Btw I never use the viewfinder. With the V I have tried once or twice and with the VI I've only tried it to see if it still worked after dropping or hitting it.

(I have versions I; II; V and VI)

wim

Thanks for the additional information - will be useful in case of an update of the camera.

Actually, what I thought of when I was writing,  was the sentence about using "the full auto setting for most images". If so,  cyclists , f.inst, wouldn't get sharp. I'd use it mostly  for quick shots of non-moving subjects.

Niels

Edited by Niels Quist

9 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Thanks for the additional information - will be useful in case of an update of the camera.

Actually, what I thought of when I was writing,  was the sentence about using "the full auto setting for most images". If so,  cyclists wouldn't get sharp. Mostly fit for non-moving subjects.

Niels

Yes more or less. It does behave like all cameras with a smaller sensor. So motion blur from camera move is slightly less a problem than with FF mainly because of the shorter focus lengths. However shutter wise it does behave like any other camera so motion blur from subject movement is the same. However because of the insane fps some things are possible that before were not. Every camera is a compromise or trade off.

I do use full auto most of the time too. But there are 2 different full auto settings, that definitely behave differently.

It helps when you still know how a camera works and when to switch off auto and do the thinking and deciding yourself.

In the end they all have full manual on board if need be.

However the VI has no uncooked RAW. So a big part of at least the wider end of the lens corrections are computational. Fine, but that also goes for crop and resolution in the corners and along the edges. You win some...

wim

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NYCat said:

I think one issue in getting sharp photos with the RX100 is that it can be harder to hold steady. I only have the first one so I am holding it out in front of me. It may be easier with the later models that have a viewfinder.

Paulette

I bought a Richard Franiec grip for my MkII. It glues on and makes holding the camera much easier. I think he's now retired, but I believe there are other firms making similar devices.

Alex

33 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

I bought a Richard Franiec grip for my MkII. It glues on and makes holding the camera much easier. I think he's now retired, but I believe there are other firms making similar devices.

Alex

Excellent addition. I bought one for my Mk 1 model then when I got the Mk 3 model transferred it to that.

It took some time to remove it from the first camera but has not left any marks.

I find it makes it much easier to hold the camera one handed if needed.

Think I need to get another grip for the Mk 1 now.

Allan

1 hour ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Alex

Thank you, Alex. I do already have one and, yes, it makes a difference. My steadiness has improved over time but one of the first things I noticed about those little cameras is that they are both easier and more difficult to hold. Not so heavy but a certain amount of heaviness seems to make for more stability.

Paulette

• 2 weeks later...

I bought myself a Model 6 for Christmas and took it out for a trial run today. I still need to play with the settings a bit (and maybe read the manual), but I’m also guessing I need to invest in a high quality screen protector for the back. I have a glass one on my Model 4. It’s done a nice job of protecting the screen, but has always seemed a bit too thick. Anyone have any recommendations? 

52 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I bought myself a Model 6 for Christmas and took it out for a trial run today. I still need to play with the settings a bit (and maybe read the manual), but I’m also guessing I need to invest in a high quality screen protector for the back. I have a glass one on my Model 4. It’s done a nice job of protecting the screen, but has always seemed a bit too thick. Anyone have any recommendations? 

Larmor.

wim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Just brings up an empty ebay screen.

Allan

That is weird. Try pasting 272903444300 in the search field. Set search to worldwide. Yours may be set at UK only.

Otherwise a worldwide search for Larmor RX100 will do the trick.

This tip originally comes from David Kilpatrick btw. Not the link.

wim

• Like 1

I use wrist straps on both my RX100 6 and a6000. I have a regular shoulder strap on my RX10 'cause it's like a DSLR. With the wrist straps I don't feel they need any extra grips. 

Cecile, I have Sony light plastic screen covers. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 27/12/2018 at 10:51, Allan Bell said:

Excellent addition. I bought one for my Mk 1 model then when I got the Mk 3 model transferred it to that.

It took some time to remove it from the first camera but has not left any marks.

I find it makes it much easier to hold the camera one handed if needed.

Think I need to get another grip for the Mk 1 now.

Allan

Just bought a MKIII yesterday, looking forward to it arriving.  Did I make a good purchase? (Please say yes!)

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Just bought a MKIII yesterday, looking forward to it arriving.  Did I make a good purchase? (Please say yes!)

Yes :) I've been delighted with my Mk III. The number of possible settings in the menu system is quite mind boggling though.

Mark

• Like 1

Yes. I love it. Take it everywhere with me even when I have my other bodies or not.

14 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes :) I've been delighted with my Mk III. The number of possible settings in the menu system is quite mind boggling though.

Mark

I tend to keep mine on manual with ISO set to Auto 125 - 400. Naturally I have focus set on auto too. Focus area centre. Mode Single shot AF. Drive mode - Single shooting.

Works with the majority of shots. Usually with 1/250th at f5.6

With wrist strap like edo but the strap is used across the palm of my hand and round the back. Keep the thumb on the outside of the loop.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 2

Just don’t do what I did. Two days after buying mine I grabbed my rucksack out of my truck and saw something fall (fly may be more apt!) on to the concrete shed floor. I was absolutely mortified when I realised it was the RX100 that was in the side pocket that I had neglected to zip up. On recovering the camera I found it had bent the bezel around the lens to the degree it was fouling when you turned the camera on and off as well as preventing the front dial from turning. I guess it’s a testament to the camera that after a bit of remedial work in my workshop it seems to have suffered no ill effects bar a stiff and slightly notchy front ring. I’m still very much gutted about it though 😪

• Like 1

Probably 60% of the photographs I take now (and so upload to Alamy) are taken with my Sony RX100 M3 or phone. I just have it at hand all the time, it fits in the pocket of my coat or jeans and is just more convenient than my Nikon DSLR. I still love the DSLR and have used it a little recently to take 'still life; / 'light box' type shots. So take a look at the recent shots in my port.. ignore the fruit shots and things on white back grounds but most of the rest of my most recent two pages of images was taken with the RX100. If you get as far as London images, they were primarily taken with the Nikon.

My last two sales were also taken with the RX100 as it happens too.

• Like 1

I've had my RX100 a few weeks now, but am only just getting used to it in the back garden. Any exercise walk photography has involved leaving my heavy kit behind, and just taking a D7200 and one lens, either a 16-85 or 70-300, depending upon what I intended to shoot. I clocked up 18.7 km on my last walk, plenty to shoot. The 70-300 was too long for most subjects, but was needed to shoot a PID Armadillo Videoguard I came across on a previous walk. The RX100 goes out with me tomorrow when the weather should improve.

Edited by sb photos