Sony RX100

15 minutes ago, sb photos said:

a PID Armadillo Videoguard

I had to look that up. Interesting bit of kit. Think I will get one for my back garden.

Allan

12 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I had to look that up. Interesting bit of kit. Think I will get one for my back garden.

Allan

If they could move like a Darlek controlled remotely they would be even more effective. Back to the RX100, has anyone used the attachment that would hold a 52mm filter or lens hood?

Edited by sb photos

Colblimp: 'Sony is due for delivery tomorrow.  Exciiiiiited!!!!!'.

I think you will enjoy your RX100M3. I have had one for a few years now and probably most of my Alamy images since the acquisition have been delivered by this little gem. Buy a spare battery if you shoot extensively during one outing. I recently purchased the newer RX100M6 (24-200) as I missed the reach beyond the M3 24-70mm in 35mm speak, but the M3 is going nowhere as it is faster. Can't see a difference in image quality, but because of the Corona Virus usage has been limited. For my photography I use aperture priority at typically 7.1-8 range and most of my changes relate to ISO. I shoot raw as I like the control over the final image. The image pass from Adobe RAW through PS and sometimes into Skylum Luminar 4 for slight adjustments to dull images. If I need speed or video I revert to my A6000s as the RX100 is small and fiddly. Horses for courses. For convenience, combined with quality, the RX100 series is unbeatable - at least in my opinion.

To add a follow-on question.. how far do people push the ISO when using their RX100? With a smaller sensor, noise is always going to be something it struggles with compared to something with a larger sensor. Personally, I don't like pushing my mark 3 much past 320 or 400 as I find the noise can become too difficult to handle much past that.

4 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

To add a follow-on question.. how far do people push the ISO when using their RX100? With a smaller sensor, noise is always going to be something it struggles with compared to something with a larger sensor. Personally, I don't like pushing my mark 3 much past 320 or 400 as I find the noise can become too difficult to handle much past that.

The RX100 series has a one inch sensor, but the image quality is on a par with my A6000. They all have a Sony/Zeiss lens with built in lens correction. I find that going up to ISO800 is very possible. Now, I use RAW and Adobe RAW converter. That enables me to control luminance and sharpness on the full original 16 bit image. Just a careful choice of Luminance and sharpness for an acceptable end result.

1 hour ago, alphaomega said:

Colblimp: 'Sony is due for delivery tomorrow.  Exciiiiiited!!!!!'.

I think you will enjoy your RX100M3. I have had one for a few years now and probably most of my Alamy images since the acquisition have been delivered by this little gem. Buy a spare battery if you shoot extensively during one outing. I recently purchased the newer RX100M6 (24-200) as I missed the reach beyond the M3 24-70mm in 35mm speak, but the M3 is going nowhere as it is faster. Can't see a difference in image quality, but because of the Corona Virus usage has been limited. For my photography I use aperture priority at typically 7.1-8 range and most of my changes relate to ISO. I shoot raw as I like the control over the final image. The image pass from Adobe RAW through PS and sometimes into Skylum Luminar 4 for slight adjustments to dull images. If I need speed or video I revert to my A6000s as the RX100 is small and fiddly. Horses for courses. For convenience, combined with quality, the RX100 series is unbeatable - at least in my opinion.

Brill - thanks!  I tend to shoot a lot when I'm out and about so second battery it is. 👍

8 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

.. particularly if you take any videos.. I find that recording videos really eats the battery charge fast!

I don't do video, although maybe I should start... 🤔

BTW, you might want to take a look at the caption for your stationery against a white background pics 🤣😂🤐

Edited by Colblimp

4 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I haven't pushed my RX100 Mk 7 yet, highest iso so far was 320, and was acceptable. The RX100 was the only camera I took with me last Sunday, everything shot at iso 100 in good light, and was surprised at the quality. Will be taking it on a longer walk this weekend, up into the Chilterns. Hoping for good weather.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I haven't pushed my RX100 Mk 7 yet, highest iso so far was 320, and was acceptable. The RX100 was the only camera I took with me last Sunday, everything shot at iso 100 in good light, and was surprised at the quality. Will be taking it on a longer walk this weekend, up into the Chilterns. Hoping for good weather.

All socially distanced and compliant with not driving hours for your exercise of course!? 🙂

Yes, in good light, I find my Mk 3 excellent! Interestingly, as had been discussed before on these forums, it's night mode also works surprisingly well for when it's actually dark.

1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

All socially distanced and compliant with not driving hours for your exercise of course!? 🙂

Of course. I only have to walk around 5 miles to Wendover, from there up Bacombe Hill to Combe hill, then stop for Lunch. I may walk back by the same route, or walk down to the side the Chequers estate, then via Butlers Cross, Terrick and Stoke Mandeville and back to Aylesbury. Over the years I've neglected the countryside, most of my photography has been in London. Each week I'm walking further, eventually there will be a limit. Long ago I could walk 20-25 miles no problem. It will be nice travelling light with just the RX100, drink and food, no 2 bodies, 3 lenses and laptop. I believe 2M distancing is too little, and normally greatly exceed it to stay safe. 

• Love 2

18 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Staying in all day tomorrow!

I have the rx100 iii and have had plenty of licence sales from it, no worries about dust bunnies and CA which I had with my full frame gear.

It's also useful, when hooked up to the Sony software for live news, captioning, keywording and getting images up to the live news feed in moments straight from your phone, but it's not quite straightforward.

My RX10 mk iv which I bought in winter gets more use, but the RX100 has not been discarded. The video quality and the ability to do timelapse is also another bonus with it.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mickfly said:

I have the rx100 iii and have had plenty of licence sales from it, no worries about dust bunnies and CA which I had with my full frame gear.

It's also useful, when hooked up to the Sony software for live news, captioning, keywording and getting images up to the live news feed in moments straight from your phone, but it's not quite straightforward.

My RX10 mk iv which I bought in winter gets more use, but the RX100 has not been discarded. The video quality and the ability to do timelapse is also another bonus with it.

Thanks!

On 22/04/2020 at 09:19, mickfly said:

Interestingly, I have the same model of RX100 but find that I do have to check for CA... it is definitely worse than my DSLR with my normal lens fitted. Nothing that can't normally be fixed in Lightroom but definitely there in some images.

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Interestingly, I have the same model of RX100 but find that I do have to check for CA... it is definitely worse than my DSLR with my normal lens fitted. Nothing that can't normally be fixed in Lightroom but definitely there in some images.

Can't say I have found CA in any of my images from the RX100 iii but I do get purple fringing sometimes which has to be removed manually.

Allan

48 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Can't say I have found CA in any of my images from the RX100 iii but I do get purple fringing sometimes which has to be removed manually.

Allan

I'd always believed purple fringing and chromatic aberration are the same thing! 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

Edited by Matt Ashmore

8 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Not noticed any CA with my RX100 Mk3, but I do have Auto CA removal turned on by default in LR and PS ACR.

Mark

14 hours ago, wiskerke said:

In that article:

although not all purple fringing can be attributed to chromatic aberration

wim

Yes.. so some of it is and some of it isn't. I learnt something by reading  that article hence why I posted it in case it is useful for other people.  Either way.. it 's the same panel(s) in Lightroom to fix it!

39 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

The Sony finally arrived on Saturday.  I like it very much!  Now for some stealth pics... 😎

That's great and what a relief. Bet you had gnawed you nails down to the knuckle having to wait so long.

Allan

• Like 2