4 hours ago, Tony said:

15 sales

Usual rubbish prices.

I don't really put much effort into Alamy, just the occasional shot when I'm out and about, it's just not worth the effort.

But I do work harder for another agency, which this month managed 4 sales for me at an average of £525 per sale net.

Wow that’s amazing that there are agencies that still get licences like that!

congrats!

18 sales, lowest $8.68 (how come can a calendar usage be so low?  I know which company bought.  When they used to buy direct from photographers, they would have paid £30-40)

highest $96.13.  I suspect some duplicate sales which I made an inquiry to MS, but no reply yet.  I am dreading to see multiple refunds.

But lets be positive. Assuming no refunds, this year is already the best year so far both in terms of $$$ and volume.

1 hour ago, SFL said:

18 sales, lowest $8.68 (how come can a calendar usage be so low?  I know which company bought.  When they used to buy direct from photographers, they would have paid £30-40)

highest $96.13.  I suspect some duplicate sales which I made an inquiry to MS, but no reply yet.  I am dreading to see multiple refunds.

But lets be positive. Assuming no refunds, this year is already the best year so far both in terms of $$$ and volume.

I know which company you are referring to as I supply them directly as well.  The $8.68 license is for a Digital Regional Calendar, for distribution only within its titled region. Print run 150.  Even directly they never paid £30-40 for these, only for the full sized, large distribution calendars.  It is still annoying to have sold to them via Alamy when I have sent the same images directly but I can understand why they do it.

Pearl

1 hour ago, Pearl said:

I know which company you are referring to as I supply them directly as well.  The $8.68 license is for a Digital Regional Calendar, for distribution only within its titled region. Print run 150.  Even directly they never paid £30-40 for these, only for the full sized, large distribution calendars.  It is still annoying to have sold to them via Alamy when I have sent the same images directly but I can understand why they do it.

Pearl

Pearl, you are more discerning than I am. :)  I missed that bit, especially print run 150.  Thank you for correcting it. 

Anyway what I was trying to say was that from my memory, the prices I used to get paid for direct sales, was between £25.00 - £50 (paper calendars).

:(

I seem to detect a sense of dissatisfaction if not disillusion on the part of many (not all) who respond to the monthly "How was your November etc" There seems to be a downward trend in the net fees received from Alamy and many report fees of less than $10 gross for licensed pics. It makes me glad that I didn't pin all my hopes in Alamy when I started to upload seriously some 14 months ago. In that time I have had 7 sales in total for $252 gross. Only one paying less than  $8 net. Meanwhile however i have been working away at microstock in that time and have well over 1000 images licensed. less than 50% for the subscription  pittance, 25% approx as  "on demand " fees ranging from $2.59 to $7-10,  25-30% as single and other at $25-30 with a not insignificant number at $45-50 each.

i know that this is not earth shattering and the bigger players will laugh it out of court but its early days and microstock is currently paying me much, much more than Alamy 

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

In any case promoting Alamy's competitors here isn't considered good practice. 

I don't recall mentioning any names. I haven't personally driven any prices down as I am new to this business but am simply stating facts that all but the proverbial Ostrich with his head in the sand or "somewhere else" already is aware of. Among the other things that I have noticed on this forum is that the aggression, the patronising remarks and the intolerance always comes from the same quarters.

1 hour ago, Futterwithtrees said:

i know that this is not earth shattering and the bigger players will laugh it out of court but its early days and microstock is currently paying me much, much more than Alamy

Blasphemy! 

I actually have more images on here by a good 1k and some very good ones exclusive and RM and I’m still earning between 1/4 and 1/3 on average of what I earn from my largest microstock agency. These are hard facts and difficult to ignore.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

And why do you think Alamy fees and stock photo fees in general have fallen so low? You don't think that it could have something to do with microstock?

That is simply my opinion and I can't see how it is aggressive, patronising or intolerant.

The sarcasm might be a clue. However if sarcasm wasn't intended i apologise,

Poor month by recent standards.  The dashboard figure of 15 sales for $308 hides the fact that 4 of those were refunds from last month's sales that were re-invoiced after prompting.  Well below this year's average.  The main consolation was that my zooms and CTR have held up well and two reasonable sales dropped in this morning to start December off with a (muffled) bang.

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Microstock certainly does provide instant results but whether that leads to a long-term sustainable career in stock I sincerely doubt. I suppose that if it did provide such a secure career there wouldn't be this constant flow of disillusioned microstock migrants coming over to Alamy.

In a proportion of these cases, it's not 'disillusioned microstock migrants', it's people who regard Alamy as another outlet for their images.

I've never read of anyone saying they earn more at Alamy than on micro, with a similar number of files (not saying such people don't exist), even where the files are totally different.

(A former contributor here used to regularly post that he earned much more here than on his only micro - then one day he let slip that although he had thousands of files here he had literally 12 (twelve, sic) files on on micro just to be able to be on their forum to keep a finger on the pulse.)

I agree that as a long-term sustainable career, micro isn't looking good. But I'm not sure how many full-timers there are on Alamy only; though I believe there are a few, who do well with Live News.

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Personally, when I decided to become a stock photographer I followed what established long-term stock photographers told me was best for the industry.  I did soon read about the huge  number of sales some people were making selling RF, and then RF micro. But for many reasons it did not attract me. Probably the most obvious reason was that back in 2002 or so it seemed that the best way to kill off my newly joined profession was to support damaging business models which, I felt, would inevitably lead to collapsing fees and a race to the bottom. That is how it has turned out.

You missed out financially big time, perhaps because of your pride or just bad advice (hindsight is a beautiful thing). Your 60,000 images a drop in the ocean...how could it possibly ever have a substantial impact to "kill of your newly joined profession"? That's illusions of grandeur!

The fact is that you could have made $10,000s/year just from micros since 2002 when there were still huge gaps in the market.

Not that you would try it out now...even if you came around to the "dark side", it's probably too late. Not that you wouldn't make a little bit...I'd estimate that some 10,000 of your images are "microstocky" such as PK8KR4 (without the logos) and those may earn you an additional $8,000 net a year with little impact on your Alamy sales.

It's tougher now than a few years ago with most veteran contributors are experience falling average fees. Yes, race to the bottom comes to mind. Many micro contributors blame free sites like Unsplash and thieves that can remove watermarks...or even as far as revenues being capped and algos favouring some accounts and others. I think none of those are huge factors...the market is just simply oversaturated and even though the industry is growing at 5% a year, supply is growing at 50%. That's unsustainable. 

I believe that the new frontier is stock footage. Would be nice if Alamy introduced a licensing scheme for footage, but doesn't seem like it's going to happen.  

I went on a tangent here but I think it was important. Perhaps not the best thread but seems like almost everybody has reported their Nov earnings so not necessarily hijacking the thread. 

Not a bad month: 19 for $546, both above average.

Lowest >$5, highest $76.57, which was a distributor (the only one).

1 TV use.

Zooms, views and CTR all low :(

9 sales away from equalling last year, but revenue has already beaten 2017 :D

John.

20 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

The average price is very concerning. I dont think I can justify selling images to some of the UK's biggest publishers for the same amount as I get for an image of a talking courgette on a t-shirt. I opted out of the newspaper scheme yesterday. The prices dont cover my costs. I can make up the income with a few hours shelf stacking.

Not saying you're wrong, and it's not worth incurring expense especially to make pics for Alamy (on average).

However, if you have already made and uploaded the images, why not leave them there to accrue even a little passive income, while earning even more via shelf stacking?

I had a period opted out of the UKNS and all that happened was that I got fewer sales; there was no evidence to suggest that the same people would pay more outwith the scheme.

16 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Okay, sorry for misunderstanding.

I've had a bit of a cold and a few ups and downs but generally my November has been just fine.

Thank you for asking :)

In that spirit....
On Alamy I achieved no sales and no zooms (this is not a surprise as I am still starting out)

Away from Alamy I started the Month with my highest ever personal sales for a week and was rubbing my hands thinking I would achieve my best ever month.  Then weeks 2 3 and 4 saw zip come in and I ended on my lowest sales for a month

However, my son passed his driving test and I am no longer required for supervision so I am settling down to focusing more on photography.

20 hours ago, geogphotos said:

And why do you think Alamy fees and stock photo fees in general have fallen so low? You don't think that it could have something to do with microstock?

In any case promoting Alamy's competitors here isn't considered good practice. 

Somebody better tell the boss. I just heard CEO James West mentioning Shutterstock, Getty and  Adobe in a video of all things. A video designed to justify Alamy's decision to lower commission rates to contributors in 2019. is this a sackable offence. :o:)^_^

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

We can't allow posts that promote / highlight / encourage others to use services that are in direct competition with us, apart from in a video which actively encourages it, cheers, Alamy

I've just corrected that part.

My best November since contributing!  Ha....

3 sales grossing only $44.01.  I don't understand the 1¢ though nor the fact that a "Personal Use" sale went for a distributor price.  And now I see my take will be even less in a few weeks.

Rick

Archived