Images Sold in November (one per day per contributor)

On 11/10/2018 at 22:06, LSP said:

Quokka (Setonix brachyurus) eating fallen figs in the street, Rottnest Island, Western AustraliaStock Photo

Ever-popular quokka shot - same image sold for $$, refunded, then sold again for 10 cents cheaper.

I love these little guys...want to see one in person one day.

Sambo's Grave . Sunderland Point , Lancashire , England , United Kingdom , Europe 

sambos-grave-sunderland-point-lancashire-england-united-kingdom-europe-BF4R22.jpg

Usage: Magazines and books, Use in a magazine article (print, digital, electronic), 2,500 circulation, worldwide for 5 years (excludes advertising)
Start: 16 November 2018
End: 16 November 2023
$ 49.60

On 11/7/2018 at 06:52, Steve Valentia said:

Two mentions of a Sony in this thread so far. I'm in the market for a lighter, smaller camera, my Canon's weigh a ton these days (I'm getting older and weaker). Any advice on a suitable model?

Sorry for the delayed response I took an online holiday - anyway - here are my thoughts:

I got the full frame A7rii - I'm a petite 4'11" grandma with a bad back and neck. While my Olympus OMD E-1 is noticeably lighter if I'm carrying it and a few lenses (mostly because the micro-3/4ths lenses are lighter ) it can't compare to the Sony in low light. I bought the E-1 in 2015 as an experiment while keeping my heavy Nikons and then sold them all off earlier this year other than a few prime lenses that I've used with the Sony. I did not buy the top of the line lenses for the 16MP Oly and the quality in daylight with the non-pro lenses up against my D-700 with top of the line glass was comparable except when I pixel peeped at 200% and even then I might have been biased toward my Nikons. The 42MP Sony is amazing but the files are huge. I like that I can make gigantic prints and shoot at a high speed - it was great taking photos of my grandson indoors without a flash right after he was born, but the Olympus lets me take more kit along. I bounced between the two cameras on a trip to the Great Lakes last month and found both were light enough for a couple of hours hiking or touring punctuated by some time in the car or getting a bite to eat, but if I was going to be on my feet all day touring through a European city or wandering around Manhattan, I'd opt for the lighter Olympus, or if I knew I wanted night shots without a tripod or indoors, I'd work in breaks to be sure I gave my back and neck a rest with the Sony. 

Now, I had vertigo for two years and am out of shape and never was all that strong to begin with, and I have fibromyalgia to boot, so  you might find the Sony gear is a big enough weight difference for you. It's a tad lighter than my backup D5100 (which I bought in 2011 for a European trip as a backup and to give me a break from lugging my D700 every day - I didn't get the D7100 because the weight was just a tad more than I wanted. I'd just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia then and had been through a couple of accidents that had taken its toll on my back). I looked at the earlier model Oly mirrorless cameras then and felt they weren't up to par. I have to say the Olympus, which is 16MP like the D5100, is a far superior camera at a fraction of the weight. I can be out for eight hours on my feet with the Olympus and three lenses, including a lightweight zoom,  and I feel fine. I found myself taking the D5100 more over the much better D700 purely for the weight difference, but sometimes regretting the quality difference. When I got the Olympus I only felt the difference shooting at high ISOs - and then more when I had to push a photo because I had under exposed it - or when I used the same Sd card all day or was shooting so constantly that the camera was hot enough to impact quality. I finally realized that's why some night shots were cleaner than others. 

If I was buying all new mirrorless kit now, I'd still opt for a Sony full frame ( 25 or 42 MP - I had a hard time deciding between the two) as my high end camera for studio work , when I won't be out all day, and for shooting in low light - I have no issues hiking a couple hours before sunset with it and then capturing shots in low light without a tripod. Then I'd get one of the smaller sensor models as a backup and for when I wanted lighter kit, so they could share lenses.  At this point, I'm keeping both the Oly and the Sony since the Oly is so much lighter, but I hear the low light capability of the E-1 MarkII is an improvement. I'm hoping to tour Italy and Spain next year for a couple of weeks and will probably get a midrange zoom for the Olympus for easy travel - the Sony zooms just seem to put the weight beyond my comfort zone for being out all day.  Still, the bokeh I can get with a full frame is hard to beat and I'll probably want it for night photography. That's why I'd lean toward Sony. 

The one big disadvantage of the Sony living in NY as I do is that the screen shuts off when it drops below freezing. Useless for snow pix if it's really cold out. It's much fussier than my workhorse Nikons or the sturdy little Olympus. I'm not sure how people manage those amazing Northern Lights photos with them. I played around with a friend's Canon and found the menus fairly intuitive after years of using a Nikon. The Sony and Olympus menus are both counter-intuitive (I know I'm using the term incorrectly but I think you get the point). 

I have wrist straps for both cameras that attach to one side of where the neck strap would go. This makes my neck and back much happier. Then I have Black Rapid cross body straps that attach via the tripod socket, so I can give my hands a rest. Both the wrist and cross body straps can be attached to the camera at once. 

Hope this helps. 

And now to return to the topic at hand.

Editorial use, an Italian magazine.  Fun timing since I just met cousins of mine from Italy yesterday who were here in NY.

The photo is from that 2011 Scandinavian trip I mentioned in passing above - of the Kerid crater lake in Iceland.

RM, Print, digital & electronic, 10K print run. High $$ not bad as it says bulk discount. 

Kerid volcanic crater lake Grimsnes area of Iceland Unrecognizable people along caldera and climbing give senseStock Photo

As Steven had asked about mirrorless cameras and I wrote a small novel above, I'll continue briefly off-topic here. I hope to visit my Italian cousins next year and I'll want the Sony for those amazing caves in Matera, were one of my grandfathers hails from. One of my cousins,  a very talented amateur photographer, brought me an amazing coffee table book of images from the town as a gift - so beautifully bound. My Nikon 20mm f/1.8 on the Sony will be ideal for the caves as well as those incredible landscapes and for navigating the narrow streets of that ancient city. And it will be a joy to use either the Olympus or the Sony in Rome, which I last visited in 2007, shortly after I started out as an advanced amateur with my 6MP D70. 

When another fellow Alamy forum member and I were planning the 2011 Scandinavian trip, one of you old-time forum members - and I'm sorry I forget who - recommended getting the 20mm to use on my D700 for the narrow medieval streets of Tallinn, Estonia. I am forever grateful. His advice was spot on.  That 20mm with a manual adapter is now my go-to lens on the Sony, thanks to some excellent advice from a blogger. The landscape photo that I've posted today was probably taken with it. I was leery of the plastic build originally but it is much lighter because of it. And the optics are superb. 

Archived