Images Sold in November (one per day per contributor)

On 11/3/2018 at 05:27, Marianne said:

I took this handheld at some ridiculously high ISO the first night that I had my Sony. And they say sunsets don't sell as stock...well we know someone who seems to sell them to the UK newspapers daily ... anyway, when I got home and saw this shot I fell in love with my Sony...so I'm happy it sold.

Two mentions of a Sony in this thread so far. I'm in the market for a lighter, smaller camera, my Canon's weigh a ton these days (I'm getting older and weaker). Any advice on a suitable model?

4 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

I put them as rights managed and mark that it contains property if it applies.  They are also described as postcards/scans not original photos. 

I follow the advice given by Alamy to image buyers

https://www.alamy.com/help/what-is-model-release-property-release.aspx

Thanks for the explanation!

7 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

I put them as rights managed and mark that it contains property if it applies.  They are also described as postcards/scans not original photos. 

I follow the advice given by Alamy to image buyers

https://www.alamy.com/help/what-is-model-release-property-release.aspx

Thanks for sharing, that is really informative for a newby like me!

Rudi

13 hours ago, gvallee said:

Pleased with another 'people' shot. Getting the hang of it.

Country: Australia ; Usage: Editorial ;  Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic

H6F8P5.jpg

I have to say "people shots" are my down fall.  I'm trying my best to get more people in my shots but for so many years, before submitting here, I did everything in my power to avoid people 'contaminating' my images.  :-)  Now I see the value.  

This would not be as good without people.  Well done.

Rick

My first sale of the month and I think the first ever sale in November!  Ha

Editorial Website, Travel & Tourism, U.S. Territory  Worldwide use for a decade of course.  $$ but I'll take it.  

empty-beach-volleyball-courts-at-a-beach-recreation-site-on-okaloosa-JJX7R9.jpg

Beach volleyball courts on Okaloosa Island, on the Florida Gulf coast.

Rick

No point in having a window seat in this carriage....

Educational editorial use

Graffiti covered passenger railway carriage, in public use, on the French TER railway network near Nice, France.Stock Photo

Graffiti covered passenger railway carriage, in public use, on the French TER railway network near Nice, France.

Graffiti covered passenger railway carriage, in public use, on the French TER railway network near Nice, France.

20 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

My first Canadian sale  :D

Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 10,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1/2 page
Journal use.

From a box of old postcards I found

Vintage colour postcard circa 1950s showing the Pontifical Swiss Guard of the Holy See stationed at the Vatican.Stock Photo

Strictly speaking, unless the copyright has expired, you can't comply with the contract term that requires you to own the copyright or have permission from the owner.

I can't see that there could be any comeback from a 50s image, but I'd probably draw the line there. After all, if a photographer died in 1947 he's still in copyright till the end of this year.

On 07/11/2018 at 11:52, Steve Valentia said:

Two mentions of a Sony in this thread so far. I'm in the market for a lighter, smaller camera, my Canon's weigh a ton these days (I'm getting older and weaker). Any advice on a suitable model?

If focusing on landscape, or need high res, A7Riii. A7Rii if speed of no importance and you don't need the dual slots and can deal with the lower capacity batteries

If do a lot of high speed stuff, A9. But that with a heavy bias on high speed work, like a lot of sport.

If you don't want/need the high res, or the pure speed, the A7iii will save a bit, and has the added bonus of not needing downsampling to help with cleaning up at high ISO. Not that the r models are slouches at high ISO, even without downsampling.

A7iii probably best for video. While it does not focus quite as fast as the a9, it's marginally better than a7riii. 

That is if you want full frame...

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Strictly speaking, unless the copyright has expired, you can't comply with the contract term that requires you to own the copyright or have permission from the owner.

I can't see that there could be any comeback from a 50s image, but I'd probably draw the line there. After all, if a photographer died in 1947 he's still in copyright till the end of this year.

I wrote and asked Alamy – just wanted to be sure before uploading any such images myself – and got a similar reply: "By signing up to Alamy, you warrant that the images you upload are either your copyright, that you have the correct permissions to upload the images, or that the images are free of copyright."

1 hour ago, chris_rabe said:

If focusing on landscape, or need high res, A7Riii. A7Rii if speed of no importance and you don't need the dual slots and can deal with the lower capacity batteries

If you don't want/need the high res, or the pure speed, the A7iii will save a bit, and has the added bonus of not needing downsampling to help with cleaning up at high ISO. Not that the r models are slouches at high ISO, even without downsampling.

A7iii probably best for video. While it does not focus quite as fast as the a9, it's marginally better than a7riii. 

That is if you want full frame...

Thanks. My publisher / Editor at Cameracraft magazine, @David Kilpatrick , sold a A7ii (not sure if it was '"R") a while back. I'm sorry now that I didn't snap it up (pun intended).

Even if I stop using my Canon 5D III for stills completely (which is unlikely), I'll probably use it for video. I completed a 3 month project making a 15 minute video for a local Ice Cream company earlier this year, using that camera and a drone. They liked it so much that they built a viewing room attached to their gift shop (at a cost of over €10K) to show it to visitors. 

6 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Thanks. My publisher / Editor at Cameracraft magazine, @David Kilpatrick , sold a A7ii (not sure if it was '"R") a while back. I'm sorry now that I didn't snap it up (pun intended).

Even if I stop using my Canon 5D III for stills completely (which is unlikely), I'll probably use it for video. I completed a 3 month project making a 15 minute video for a local Ice Cream company earlier this year, using that camera and a drone. They liked it so much that they built a viewing room attached to their gift shop (at a cost of over €10K) to show it to visitors. 

I'd personally say avoid the A7ii unless cost is the utmost priority. It's what I started with and certainly is good, but everything (besides speed) was nicely bumped from the A7Rii  - and up of course.

The biggest omission on it is the auto iso min shutter.

And apologies for yesterday. I don't normally take part in such internet spats. It was a low point in the middle of a dire week, and the devil inside got the better of me.

10 minutes ago, chris_rabe said:

I'd personally say avoid the A7ii unless cost is the utmost priority. It's what I started with and certainly is good, but everything (besides speed) was nicely bumped from the A7Rii  - and up of course. The biggest omission on it is the auto iso min shutter.

Useful advice, thanks again.

10 minutes ago, chris_rabe said:

And apologies for yesterday. I don't normally take part in such internet spats. It was a low point in the middle of a dire week, and the devil inside got the better of me.

What Spat? I see your dire week and raise you a month, or two.

saturday-may-12th-2018-high-wycombe-buck

Saturday May 12th 2018. High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England, GB, UK. The quaint local tradition of 'Weighing in the Mayor' took place in the town centre today. Traditionally, the outgoing and incoming mayor and civic officials are weighed at the beginning of the mayor's term of office each year to ascertain if they have gained weight at the expense of the taxpayer. The new mayor, Sarfaraz Khan Raja, the lady mayoress, Khola Kayani Raja and their children are shown. Credit: D. Callcut/Alamy Live News

P.r.e.s.e.n.t.a.t.i.o.n. (could actually be!)

22 minutes ago, losdemas said:

saturday-may-12th-2018-high-wycombe-buck

Saturday May 12th 2018. High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England, GB, UK. The quaint local tradition of 'Weighing in the Mayor' took place in the town centre today. Traditionally, the outgoing and incoming mayor and civic officials are weighed at the beginning of the mayor's term of office each year to ascertain if they have gained weight at the expense of the taxpayer. The new mayor, Sarfaraz Khan Raja, the lady mayoress, Khola Kayani Raja and their children are shown. Credit: D. Callcut/Alamy Live News

P.r.e.s.e.n.t.a.t.i.o.n. (could actually be!)

I've seen this this group before, maybe not the same camera angle.

2 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

I've this this group before, maybe not the same camera angle.

Really?!  Same day?  you weren't that guy pushing me out of the way? (joking ;):D).

Having shot it as Live NEWS, I can tell you that the (lowest ever) presentation price it just sold for was erm, disappointing.

Archived