August Challenge - NEWS

Colblimp

This was actually used on the day it was taken as a weather news image by the BBC

KAKFRC.jpg

Bristol Halloween Zombie flash mob

K8WW50.jpg

Another weather pic. Taken in 2014 in Poole, Dorset as Storm Eleanor hit the south coast of England

HTFEAJ.jpg

Three from me.   Note! I am just an observer and not advertising any political sides :)

4th of July parade in 2012

Democrats with Barack Obama signs participate in the 4th of July parade in Greensboro, North Carolina, NC Stock Photo

Race for the Cure

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure fundraising event participants make their way down Hillsborough street in Raleigh, Stock Photo

Pro choice demonstrators at a Pro-life event

Raleigh, North Carolina. 13th January, 2018. Pro-Choice demonstration during a Pro-Life rally. Stock Photo

2 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

D500 camera - DX sensor - with the much under-rated 200-500mm ƒ5.6 lens  = 750mm. Long enough to get me up close

km

Are you hanging out the side of another helicopter to take this or is there a suitably high vantage point?

bristol-uk-14th-july-2016-marvin-reesmayor-of-bristol-is-pictured-GD95Y5.jpg

Bristol, UK, 14th July, 2016. Marvin Rees, mayor of Bristol is pictured speaking to protesters during a protest in college green. The rally was held to allow people to show their support for the UK remaining part of the European Union.

bristol-uk-12th-july-2018-on-the-day-that-us-president-donald-trump-arrives-in-the-uk-protesters-carrying-anti-trump-placards-and-signs-are-pictured-taking-part-in-a-protest-march-and-rally-against-president-trumps-visit-to-the-uk-credit-lynchpicsalamy-live-news-P8KX3A.jpg

Bristol, UK, 12th July, 2018. On the day that US President Donald Trump arrives in the UK, protesters carrying anti trump placards and signs are pictured taking part in a protest march and rally against President Trump's visit to the UK.

bristoluk-12th-january-2016-a-protester-supporting-the-junior-doctor-FB8T6H.jpg

Bristol,UK. 12th January, 2016. A protester supporting the Junior Doctor strike is pictured outside the Bristol Royal Infirmary.

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

Ground level.....the helicopter was about 50m in the air -  and it's banking right, which is why i have a  viewpoint slightly above the rotors

km

I think Matt was making the same assumption as others could be in that the image was taken at an angle to level ground whereas I believe the fire is on a hillside.

Allan

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I think Matt was making the same assumption as others could be in that the image was taken at an angle to level ground whereas I believe the fire is on a hillside.

Allan

Yes, because you can see the top of the helicopter's rotor blades, I assumed Keith was above the helicopter, most likely in another helicopter.  But I guess the helicopter was banking right and dumping water on a hillside so it makes sense!

2 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Yes, because you can see the top of the helicopter's rotor blades, I assumed Keith was above the helicopter, most likely in another helicopter.  But I guess the helicopter was banking right and dumping water on a hillside so it makes sense!

When I first saw the image I thought "DRONE" then realised Keith is a consummate professional and would not risk his drone hitting a helicopter. So looked again.

Allan

Three images from me - all submitted as Live News, none used as such.

Saturday May 12th 2018. High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England, GB, UK. The quaint local tradition of 'Weighing in the Mayor' took place in the town centre today.  Traditionally, the outgoing and incoming mayor and civic officials are weighed at the beginning of the mayor's term of office each year to ascertain if they have gained weight at the expense of the taxpayer. The current MP for the town, Steve Baker, was adjudged to have gained weight and thus heartily booed by the crowd. Credit: D. Callcut/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Saturday May 12th 2018. High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England, GB, UK. The quaint local tradition of 'Weighing in the Mayor' took place in the town centre today. Traditionally, the outgoing and incoming mayor and civic officials are weighed at the beginning of the mayor's term of office each year to ascertain if they have gained weight at the expense of the taxpayer. The current MP for the town, Steve Baker, was adjudged to have gained weight and thus heartily booed by the crowd.

Father Christmas waits at T5 Heathrow Airport, London.  Christmas travel delays concept. Stock Photo

21st December 2012. Father Christmas at Terminal Five, Heathrow Airport, London on what was expected to be the busiest day of the year for international air travel.

Reading, Berkshire, UK. 30th January 2013.  Following the discovery of the body of a 50 year old man in Reading Stock Photo

Reading, Berkshire, UK. 30th January 2013. Following the discovery of the body of a 50 year old man in Reading at 7am this morning, police have sealed off an apartment block at the junction of Northumberland Avenue and Hartland Road in Whitley, while forensic investigations take place. A forensic investigator is shown leaving the flats.

southsea-portsmouth-uk-21st-oct-2017-uk-weather-a-group-of-young-men-KEK548.jpg

A group of young men stand topless against the waves breaking over the sea wall of Southsea seafront as Storm Brian hits the Southern coastline of the UK at high tide. 

we-are-99-placard-with-the-guy-fawkes-mask-symbol-and-protesters-in-CFJDMN.jpg

A "We are the 99%" placcard at a demonstration against austerity measures in Portsmouth, England

portsmouth-uk-july-24-2016-the-duchess-of-cambridge-shakes-hands-with-GEAHFG.jpg

The Duchess of Cambridge shakes hands with Grinder, Sam Bell of Team Emirates New Zealand at The Americas Cup World Series in Portsmouth

Civil strife in Nicaragua.  Jinotega had the last standing tranques/road blocks in Nicaragua from what local sources have said.  These were in my neighborhood.

jinotega-nicaragua-19st-july-2018fsln-motorcade-dia-de-independencia-credit-rebecca-brownalamy-live-news-P9M9JK.jpg

Supporters of the Ortega government on Dia de la Revolucion (Day of the Revolution, July 19th.

Jinotega, Nicaragua, 21st June, 2018, defenders behind the barricades.  This is a manned barricade and defenders have been sleeping under plastic sheets where the barricades are manned 24/7. Credit: Rebecca Brown/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Second photo -- Turbas, hired agitators supporting the Ortega government at a barricade. 

Jinotega, Nicaragua. 11th June, 2018. Building barricades for neighborhood defense, Jinotega, Nicaragua, June 2018 Credit: Rebecca Brown/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Building defenses against pro-Ortega agitators. 

5 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Civil strife in Nicaragua.  Jinotega had the last standing tranques/road blocks in Nicaragua from what local sources have said.  These were in my neighborhood.

jinotega-nicaragua-19st-july-2018fsln-motorcade-dia-de-independencia-credit-rebecca-brownalamy-live-news-P9M9JK.jpg

Supporters of the Ortega government on Dia de la Revolucion (Day of the Revolution, July 19th.

Jinotega, Nicaragua, 21st June, 2018, defenders behind the barricades.  This is a manned barricade and defenders have been sleeping under plastic sheets where the barricades are manned 24/7. Credit: Rebecca Brown/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Second photo -- Turbas, hired agitators supporting the Ortega government at a barricade. 

Jinotega, Nicaragua. 11th June, 2018. Building barricades for neighborhood defense, Jinotega, Nicaragua, June 2018 Credit: Rebecca Brown/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Building defenses against pro-Ortega agitators. 

Hope those people are going to put the road back when they are finished with it.

Allan

16 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hope those people are going to put the road back when they are finished with it.

Allan

They did, but badly, then the city (pro Ortega mayor who brought in the turbas) sent the city work crews out under armed guards and with roller machine and bulldozer to fix them properly (I only have cell phone photos of that).    The original idea for the neighborhood barricades was to keep out trucks full of the hired government supporters who were kicking over the barricades and fighting with some of the neighborhood defenders. So the turbas walked in and kicked the barricades over and fired rocks onto our roof tops anyway.   Most of us found the barricades rather annoying, I suspect.  The turbas (the hired government freelance supporters)  also had control of some barricades near the FSLN house and the center city blocks, but took down the parts blocking the streets after a while (the government's beef was having the defended barricades blocking or slowing down international truck traffic and some government hackers renamed private cable routers to "remove the tranques" in Spanish). 

The protestors had some valid issues, but throwing rocks at cops anywhere tends to get out of hand and shooting rocks at cops with hand cannons tends to be even more so, and shooting a cop on the first day of the student demos had what would be a predictable over-reaction.   The regular army took one look at the mess and told Ortega and the press that all it would be doing would be guarding government facilities against attacks, but it would not be chasing demonstrators.  And nobody who is reliable has any verifiable evidence that the regular army broke that promise.   I saw a regular army soldier on guard duty today at a government building.  

Special investigators were in town recently trying to figure out who is going to get fired from government jobs, who's going to get arrested.  They were also active in Granada and a back country town called Waslala, perhaps other places, but I saw their truck here and a couple of their guys who weren't wearing AK-47s, one of whom appeared to be having an avuncular chat with someone on the sidewalk in front of the Jinotega Ministry of Education.  The guy having the chat was surrounded by armed riot cops in black.   Those guys went away a few days ago or at least aren't patrolling the main commercial streets.

September 11

tourists-at-the-911-memorial-honoring-th

CWTJ1X  American flag flying over the September 11 Memorial, New York City

Elephants being killed for their ivory

african-elephant-calf-injured-by-a-spear

JBP08T  Elephant calf injured by a spear when his mother was killed for her ivory, Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, Kenya, East Africa

Climate change

solitary-polar-bear-ursus-maritimus-sitt

DDTEBK   Polar Bear sitting on melting ice, Svalbard Archipelago

Paulette 

Pretty much avoided hard news since going freelance, the most recent of these is around 17 years ago. All demo's of one sort or another.

Rev Dr Jeni Parsons heads off in a Teme coracle to confront Bill Clinton and Tony Blair at the G8 summit in Birmingham,1998

Reverend Dr. Jeni Parsons rows her Teme Coracle along the canals from Worcester to Birmingham - the venue for  the 1998 G8 summit. Reverend Parsons,Vicar of Tolladine, Worcs, had paddled her way along the canals from her parish to join the Human Chain organised by the Jubilee 2000 Coalition Stock Photo

A woman with baby in tow rushes to join the "Save Our Jobs" rally, Birmingham, 2000

A woman with a baby in pushchair hurries to join a Save Our Jobs rally for the Rover plant at Longbridge, Birmingham, April 2000 Stock Photo

All smiles before a "Free The Streets"  demo kicks off, Birmingham, 2001

All smiles as a woman joins in with the Police lines at a Free The Streets demonstration, Birmingham, circa 2001 Stock Photo

Bloodied policeman during 'Tommy Robinson' shenanigans:

P0MPXG.jpg

A protester after the Tory aligned with the DUP:

JC0A3T.jpg

Storm Brian. Mum is going to kill dad when she sees the state of the kids when they get home:

KEK4BB.jpg

Archived