Unexpected Pleasure

Bryan

This must have happened to you more experienced stock shooters many times, but a first for me...

I walked into the office of a chemical company today to buy some acetone (as you do) and they had a rather attractive calendar on the wall, using black and white photos. I took a  closer look - but still from  across the room - and lo and behold, it was one of mine!

Lifted the spirits somewhat  :)

Anyone had similar experiences?

I'm a memeber of the RAA here in Sth Oz.

It's a roadside assist organization that publishes a quarterly mag.

A couple of years ago, low and behold there was an image of mine from the Mt Lofty Botanical Gardens.

Slightly cropped but very recognizable. :) 

cheers

Bill

B4KT4A.jpg

> Anyone had similar experiences?

My image on billboard ad along highway.

Almost crashed. (double-takes & driving do not mix)

10K-PHOTO.jpg

Jeff, I hope you took a shot of the billboard and submitted that, licensing a photo of one of your licensed photos would be a great story :)

> Anyone had similar experiences?

My image on billboard ad along highway.

Almost crashed. (double-takes & driving do not mix)

10K-PHOTO.jpg

Jeff, I hope you took a shot of the billboard and submitted that, licensing a photo of one of your licensed photos would be a great story :)

And he could make more money by suing himself for copyright infringement! 

• 2 years later...

Thread bump up, because it's interesting :) Any new unexpected pleasures found?

And I'm curious the Jeff's answer about MR for the children (may be in PM). I wonder how much can we expect with RM/ no MR.

Happened to be in the village shop on my birthday a few years ago, and spotted that one of the birthday cards on a nearby rack had one of my photos on it.

Yes, you've guessed it, I ended up buying myself a birthday card on my birthday...how sad is that?!

Last week I noticed this one from 2015:

9781107518698-us.jpg

And Amazon helpful as ever even offered a second one:

51JwoUsHn-L._SX393_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

both based on:

radio-telescope-satellite-dishes-dish-of

Formerly a regular seller, but somehow it stopped selling around a year ago together with some more of my regular sellers. Most of those keep on selling at Alamy's distributors. Maybe those have different ranking or no penalties on older images. Or maybe even somehow favor repeat sellers?

Anyway, the last sale of this image had been on December 19, 2014:
Educational book. Editorial print + digital use. front cover. One time use only.

And since Amazon and I clearly counted 2 books, I contacted member services.

Let's not give away too much sensitive information and just say the pleasure ended right there.
;-)

wim

<hdh..snip......>

Formerly a regular seller, but somehow it stopped selling around a year ago together with some more of my regular sellers. Most of those keep on selling at Alamy's distributors. Maybe those have different ranking or no penalties on older images. Or maybe even somehow favor repeat sellers?

Anyway, the last sale of this image had been on December 19, 2014:
Educational book. Editorial print + digital use. front cover. One time use only.

And since Amazon and I clearly counted 2 books, I contacted member services.

Let's not give away too much sensitive information and just say the pleasure ended right there.
;-)

wim

After all it is a very poor university ..... (not) .....

btw: I am also curious about Jeff's answer regarding the MR ....  

I was browsing magazines a few years ago and saw an image of Chiddingfold church on the front cover of Country Life.  It was around St George's day and the church had the flag flying.  I had an image of that same church and started cursing because I didn't have the flag on mine.  So I looked inside to find the credit and see who the lucky tog was who got it with the flag and it was ME.  It had sold through another library and someone must have added the flag digitally somewhere along the line.  £250 for a front cover in those days so I was well pleased.

Pearl

I went to show my portfolio to the marketing director of a company and found a wine poster I'd done hanging on her wall. The meeting went well, great in fact.

By the next meeting someone else was sitting in the chair. Seems marketing directors went in and out through a revolving door in that company. Oh well.

I was invited to a pub lunch with an assignment client and his son. The client wanted me to mentor his son, who was considering stock photography as a career.

It was totally unplanned, but there were small standup cards and beer coasters advertising a brand of beer on the table. They both contained one of my stock images of a wheat field. My agent had sold multiple time, one year beverage industry exclusive usage rights for $5,000. The client’s son caught on right away. Shoot stock for advertising, not for editorial.

That was in the mid 1990s. You would probably get $500 today, if you are lucky. However $500 for advertising is still better than $14 for editorial.

wheat-ready-to-be-harvested-near-batoche

Recently went to Burma and bought the Dorling Kindersley guide book in preparation.  Leafing through the book just before we went, my wife mentioned that there was a picture which looked like something I had described from my previous visit, some 17 years previously (women wading out into the Irrawaddy River with trays of fruit on their heads, selling to riverboats) - and there was my picture (D7AJCG), a scan from the days of film photography. 

Graham

I was in a toy store and saw one of my lighthouse photos on the cover of a puzzle - it was one of many lighthouses on the cover but easy to recognize as mine.

I get a daily email from travelandleisure.com and occasionally have found one of my photos in a slide show - before the sale shows up on Alamy. Always makes me smile.

Another time I was on Facebook and a post from Coastal Living showed up with a photo I took when I first got a digital camera back in 2006 - since then Alamy has licensed it a couple of times. Totally unexpected.

All of these were nautical images which seem to be my best-sellers and which are my favorite images to take.

I was invited to a pub lunch with an assignment client and his son. The client wanted me to mentor his son, who was considering stock photography as a career.

It was totally unplanned, but there were small standup cards and beer coasters advertising a brand of beer on the table. They both contained one of my stock images of a wheat field. My agent had sold multiple time, one year beverage industry exclusive usage rights for $5,000. The client’s son caught on right away. Shoot stock for advertising, not for editorial.

That was in the mid 1990s. You would probably get $500 today, if you are lucky. However $500 for advertising is still better than $14 for editorial.

wheat-ready-to-be-harvested-near-batoche

Very nice image, Bill. I can see why it might have commercial appeal -- e.g for a wheat ale ad. Curious to know why you are offering it as RF rather than RM, though.

I am not looking down on editorial. I am saying if you shoot for advertising, and sell your images for both high priced advertising and low priced editorial, your overall income will be higher.

I also think that $14 is probably a present and future price for editorial. Magazines, newspapers, printed calendars, travel guides, editorial websites, are mostly low paying and mostly in financial trouble.

I designated a potential advertising shot as RF because the price for RF seems to be higher than RM. In addition, if I read the pricing calculator properly, then there is room for upwards negotiation on price if an advertising client wants some degree of future exclusivity on an RF.

Clients are demanding simplicity in pricing and rights. Industry wide RM and RF are becoming the same thing. So why not go for RF, the simplest license for most clients?

I designated a potential advertising shot as RF because the price for RF seems to be higher than RM. In addition, if I read the pricing calculator properly, then there is room for upwards negotiation on price if an advertising client wants some degree of future exclusivity on an RF....

Makes sense, my best ever value sale (through Alamy) was RF, and I have very little RF.

Archived