If You Were in New York City for Just Two Days . . .

Ed Rooney

My daughter lives near Yorkville and I try to manage a couple of extended visits each year. Though, no matter when I go, I seem to attract either a blizzard or a tropical storm/hurricane. 

I find Central Park, Chinatown, and anywhere along the water the places I gravitate to the most.

Edo, I’m curious about your reasons for asking this question. 😀

Since you asked why I asked:  I used to be a travel photographer, but I live in NYC 365 days a year now. And I shoot stock here all the time. My question was really asking what an out-of-towner would think is worth capturing as stock if coming here for just a short time. B)

1. I once took a circle Manhatten boat tour when I came to New York to attend a course at Cold Spring Harbour and really liked the look of the buildings with water tanks on them, so if I could get a good vantage that would be number one.

2. View back at NY from the Staten Island Ferry (Ferry included).

3. Time Square at night. I know there are tons of these, but it would be for myself!

Chris

I used to visit NYC fairly often when I was a university student in Montreal (late 60's and early 70s). I even made a short film -- shot mainly in Greenwich Village -- there for one of  my classes. However, it has been so long now that I wouldn't know where to begin photographically. If I went back for a short visit, I would probably just follow my nose, so to speak. That said, you seem to have The City That Never Sleeps very well covered.

Up to Inwood to shoot the Dyckman House, out to City Island, anywhere on the elevated part of the subway, people relaxing at Wave Hill, cricketers in Van Cortland Park etc etc
I shot all these, with a rubbish tourist camera!

I would try to capture the in your face but still friendly attitude of most New Yorkers. The contrast between great wealth and the lower middle classes. (not the homeless). Neighbourhood street life. The hustle and bustle and great energy

This shot by Weegee is a classic.

http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/objects/39799/weegee-arthur-fellig-the-critic-american-november-22-1943/

I would also try to capture Ed Rooney. Once I captured him, I am not sure what I would do with him. Maybe make him eat pasta before I let him go.

Teehee :D

I just looked, and I now have 153 pasta pictures in my Alamy collection . . . and I ate what's in every one of them.

My original plan was to illustrate the entire Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. Then I found that many of the pasta recipes look much the same. Hmm. I learned to cook in Rome, watching the nonne (grandmothers).  

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Teehee :D

I just looked, and I now have 153 pasta pictures in my Alamy collection . . . and I ate what's in every one of them.

My original plan was to illustrate the entire Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. Then I found that many of the pasta recipes look much the same. Hmm. I learned to cook in Rome, watching the nonne (grandmothers).  

It just tastes different in Italy. So yummy.

BTW, one of your steak and pasta shots is entitled "stake". I have yet to find a wooden pole. ;-)

1)  Empire State Building

2)  Rockefeller Center  (during Christmas)

3)  Flat Iron Building

One World Trade Center, but for an entirely different reason and not necessarily to photograph.  But that doesn't count.

Rick

Look up the tour bus sites. They would be hitting the sites and attractions to fit the tastes of visitors. It's been years since I've been to NYC, but the tour guide said that visitors tend to do it wrong. They should take the bus tours on the first days and then decide if they want to spend more time at any of the stops they can visit again on the later days. People too often go out on their own and then take a bus tour before leaving - only to again hit some of the places they've already been too and don't really need to see again. But for your question, what are the highlighted bus tour stops?

2 days isn't very long for such a big city. You are left with the choice of either trying to cram in the already oversatuated landmarks and city views, or deciding to ignore them for less popular less saturated targets. On a first visit I think more people would do option 1 even if they don't admit to it.

My son recently returned to New York for a long weekend so he gave his girlfriend the tour.

They started off at the Met and made their way down Fifth Avenue to Rockefeller Center for the Christmas Tree, passing through Central Park, the Plaza and the Apple Store, Christmas Windows, St Patrick's Cathedral, Grand Central Station, etc, etc, etc

Then they rode the subway for some shopping in  Chinatown and a bite to eat at Katz's Deli. Then they rode the subway again back to Brooklyn where they had another bite to eat and see the Christmas lights along Court Street. Somehow they managed to squeeze in a ride on the Staten Island Ferry and a game of pool. They have far more energy that I do.

Circle Line boat trip first thing.  Walking across Brooklyn Bridge or the George Washington Bridge second thing.  Third thing would be Coney Island or Broad Channel Island in Jamaica Bay.  I lived there seven years, did the Circle Line boat trip as a first time tourist at age 11 or 12 at a family reunion.  Broad Channel Island is in NYC, but almost not of it, and was built up by squatters who became legalized in the 1970s.  Five Avenue bus is also good from Houston Street to as far north as it goes.  

4 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

My son recently returned to New York for a long weekend so he gave his girlfriend the tour.

They started off at the Met and made their way down Fifth Avenue to Rockefeller Center for the Christmas Tree, passing through Central Park, the Plaza and the Apple Store, Christmas Windows, St Patrick's Cathedral, Grand Central Station, etc, etc, etc

Then they rode the subway for some shopping in  Chinatown and a bite to eat at Katz's Deli. Then they rode the subway again back to Brooklyn where they had another bite to eat and see the Christmas lights along Court Street. Somehow they managed to squeeze in a ride on the Staten Island Ferry and a game of pool. They have far more energy that I do.

That is about as good a walking tour of this town as one can do, Stacy. Me, I would like about a week to cover all that. Maybe a month? But with all the Live News you do, my guess is you have lots more energy than I do. 

Doc:  the month of May can be perfect . . . if you we don't get rain. I won't worry about you finding subjects; you know how to travel. Welcome to New York!

I wouldn't shoot a frame. Instead, I would spend the time viewing great images in galleries and museums and checking out global print media. The book world is booming again (although magazines are worse than ever) and in NYC you can find shops that sell the newest and best in all major - and some minor - languages.

Archived