Failed QC – Blacklisted - Me too!

I read with interest the thread started by efk11, because I too have been blacklisted too.

My last QC failure was on 1st February 2016.

Since the new AIM came in I have always had 3* QC rating.

Since my last failure, I have made 191 uploads totalling 2406 passed images.

Now I have 1* QC rating and a ten day ban.

Now the interesting bit, what failed?

An image from “Digital Camera not suitable for Alamy”

The camera in question is a Sony RX100iii.

I will no longer use it, or its big brother the RX10 for Alamy.

Just a warning to anyone using RX10 or RX100 cameras – beware!

Good grief, Peter! Please contact Alamy and ask for a review. I have never had an image taken with my RX100/3 fail. This is a mistake! Alamy QC doesn't make many mistakes, but this is one. I can think of a half-dozen forum regulars who shoot with Sony RX100 cameras. Some of us use nothing else. :angry:

And you are still a 3-star dude in my mind. 

Edo, with my 3 Sony mirrorless cameras. 

My last 250 images are all with a Sony RX100 M2.  Great camera.  There has to be an oddity with QC.  

Southpole (Paul Chambers) had that weird fail for too many similars that failed then passed.  I would definitely contact Alamy.  They may have a new QC person that isn't up to snuff.

Jill

I have a great many images in my collection from my old RX100, which died a few months ago and was promptly replaced by an RX100iii, and of course many from my RX10.

I have form on this kind of thing, back when Alamy had an "Unsuitable Camera" list I had a Ricoh GX100, about the same size and capability as the RX100, with a great many images in my collection..

They failed one of those Ricoh  images, and I queried it with MS as it then was then called.  Their response was to lock me out for 28 days.

I have learnt the lesson, I never enter any discussion with QC.

Maybe I need to think a bit more about this, but my reaction is to simply sell off my Sony RX cameras.  After all, I have been warned off them.

I can, and will, manage without them, my micro 4/3rds and Fuji cameras are better anyway, but not so conveniently small as the RX100iii or as versatile as the RX10.

This is the third bogus failure to members by QC. The first was no metadata, which is fine except for initial sub. Once an inquiry was made, it was rectified.  Then excessive similars of, drum roll....THREE IMAGES!!  That was rectified.

Now, a RX 111 camera.  Which I have and use as an-always-with me camera. I have several hundred beautiful images on Alamy taken with my my 1 or 3.

And someone going from 3 stars to one over someone in QC’s mistake?

Makes one wonder how many others are failing for this kind of c*** who don’t post about it. 

Alamy, I hope you are reading this thread and the others and perform your magic to rectify what’s going on at the root.

Betty

Hmn, but if I did query it, I might get all you other RX100 users wiped out as well.   I am also assuming that if the RX100 is unsuitable the RX10 is unsuitable also.

You know what they say about "assume" - It makes an ass of you, and an ass of me.   

Nevertheless as the sensor size and image process ing is the same as the RX100ii, it is a fair assumption to make.

Peter

A long time ago I accidentally uploaded a file from an unapproved camera. It was dropped as I uploaded with a message to the effect that the camera wasn't approved (can't remember the exact wording), and didn't count as a fail. The rest of the upload went through as usual.

Is there a current approved or unapproved camera list?

Answering my own question, apparently not.

From Alamy:

"

1. Photos from a DSLR (or equivalent) camera that has a minimum of 6 megapixels
    Cameras with less than this won’t be able to produce a good enough quality to pass QC, or for us to sell
  2. Good enough quality for all our customers’ needs
    There are a number of technical reasons why images might not pass our QC checks. If you’re uploading for the first time, take a look at our QC Failure Reasons PDF to avoid any issues.
  3. JPEGs
    Shoot or illustrate in whatever format you like, but you’ll need to submit your images to us as JPEGs.
  4. JPEG file size of over 17MB (when uncompressed)
    This is likely to have a compressed JPEG size of 3-5MB. Opening a JPEG in an image program such as Adobe Photoshop will show you the uncompressed (open) file size."

and previous forum discussion:

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/4762-approved-cameras

It makes no difference about a list.  This camera series is and has been used by many and I’ve never heard a whisper of it being unsuitable. I would think that decision would have been made years ago.

If Alamy took down all of the images shot with the series that would wipe out many. And I can’t see Alamy suddenly deciding  it’s not up to snuff after approving some thousands of images from it.

Definitely would spread some egg on faces.

This is NOT a camera problem. This is a rare error that one person in QC made. That error could have been something as simple as clicking on the wrong reason for a fail. 

I have been using my RX100/3 for about three years. I have never had a fail with it.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

This is NOT a camera problem. This is a rare error that one person in QC made. That error could have been something as simple as clicking on the wrong reason for a fail. 

I have been using my RX100/3 for about three years. I have never had a fail with it.

Agreed

6 hours ago, Peter Jordan said:

They failed one of those Ricoh  images, and I queried it with MS as it then was then called.  Their response was to lock me out for 28 days.

Peter,

I think that back then the lock out for a failure was 28 days. i do not think that the 28 days was related to the fact you queried their decision only to the failure itself.

The fact that many people are using this camera successfully would indicate that they have made a mistake so it would be totally reasonable to ask then for an explanation. You are,after all, a seasoned contributor with a large portfolio of approved images.

Regen

If alamy is suddenly not permitting images by Sony rx100 cameras, they should let us know.  They have always been considered suitable cameras, and many contributors, including myself, use them.  With all these surprising QC failures this week, it seems something is also amiss with this rejection.

The wrong click type thing does seem to happen more frequently all round. A few weeks ago someone pushed my sports news upload into stock. I've uploaded basketball pics from that venue in the Olympic Park (pro basketball) for the last four seasons on a regular basis, so was a little surprised when the images didn't show up in the news feed. When I queried, the answer was simply 'someone accidentally moved that batch into stock and it's showed up in QC'. No further assistance, simply the option to re-upload (would have been too late anyway at that point, so I left them in stock). Of course mistakes can and will happen, but it still is very frustrating to get so little response

10 hours ago, Peter Jordan said:

I read with interest the thread started by efk11, because I too have been blacklisted too.

My last QC failure was on 1st February 2016.

Since the new AIM came in I have always had 3* QC rating.

Since my last failure, I have made 191 uploads totalling 2406 passed images.

Now I have 1* QC rating and a ten day ban.

Now the interesting bit, what failed?

An image from “Digital Camera not suitable for Alamy”

The camera in question is a Sony RX100iii.

I will no longer use it, or its big brother the RX10 for Alamy.

Just a warning to anyone using RX10 or RX100 cameras – beware!

Hi Peter,

Sorry, that camera is fine for Alamy. We're looking into what happened here to cause that error, but we'll put the submission back in QC and will re-check it.

Sorry again for the confusion.

Cheers

Alamy

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It does seem that there are few issues at QC just at the moment. 

No doubt Alamy will sort it all out. 

Please post further details here or email contributors@alamy.com and we'll be happy to check anything out if there appears to be any issue.

Cheers

Alamy

Archived