19 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Mine is at fractionally over 10% of the same point last year. In a race with winners and losers, I've got left behind in the starting stalls.:(

And I have not reached the starting stalls yet.:angry:

Allan

6 hours ago, funkyworm said:

My income chart on 'My dashboard' not surprisingly echo's a classic product life cycle chart. The first years from 2004 showing growth, when you start from zero the only way is up. Followed by a levelling at about 2-300 sales per year for 4-5 years. And then decline as I could no longer keep in front of the incoming tide of images from others joining the throng. I see the same pattern from other income sources in this industry. The challenge is to keep the maturity level as long as possible and pre-empt the decline so as not to end up down a certain creek without a paddle.

Others may have other theories but I get very nervous when it looks as if I have too many eggs in one basket. That includes subject matter.

Interesting analysis. My revenue graph for the past few years looks like a roller coaster, with the peaks getting lower and the valleys deeper -- i.e. the overall revenue trend is downward.

This year shows promise of stabilization, but it's really too early to tell. Even if my gross revenue does stabilize at the 2016 level, it would still be about one-third less than it was at its peak. The term "progress" now means quite different things to different contributors, depending to a great extent on how long they have been on Alamy. New contributors are much more likely to see an upward growth curve than ones who have been around for 10+ years.

I'm at 53% of last year's gross earnings, assuming I get the same result for the back half of the year.  I wish Alamy would have left the search algo alone and not made such a mess.  What to expect with 4 months of things like supertags having a reverse effect?

I won't have had a poorer year since 2006, my first year in operation here.

For me, the number of sales is more than half of last year's total (63%) which is good news, but the gross earnings are only 24% of last year's (not good).  And with over 40% of my sales this year being distributor sales, my net revenue is likely even a lower percentage compared to last year.

Maria

1 hour ago, arterra said:

Cheers,

Philippe

PS: happy to see we're able to add pictures directly from our harddisk ;)

I always have Philippe??

Allan

1 hour ago, arterra said:

"You have to keep feeding the beast to maintain the same revenue-_-

Cheers,

Philippe

The way sales are plummeting Philippe I feel like I will have to stop feeding this animal and look at other outlets for my images.

Allan

1 minute ago, arterra said:

We always could do that? :blink::wacko::o

I thought the pictures had to be on-line somewhere on a website.

Cheers,

Philippe

The only image I had to do that with was my own avatar image to the left.

Allan

8 hours ago, GS-Images said:

I still have zero sales for June. That's what ruining the search engine has done. I just hope that now it's working better (still illogical sometimes) that sales will start to come through again in the coming months. Going by my views numbers though, I'm not holding my breath.

Geoff.

I'm in the same leaky boat as you, Geoff. As of Friday, I had 32 zooms showing and zero sales.  Many of the zooms over the last couple of months my image was the only zoom for the search. I'm scratching my head, here.

Betty

Haven't added many new images in the last two years, and actually deleted quite a few. So, for the first time, not surprisingly, I'm seeing a downward trend in revenue, but a spike in number of sales, so I'm not completely discouraged. 

For Jan-June 16, 2016 I had an average number of sales (compared to 2015), with revenue to match the old days, the average gross per sale being $108, and that includes averaging in gross sales as low as $7.01. That continued a trend I saw in 2015, with average gross sales actually increasing for the first time since around 2011-2012. For the second half of that year, however, a decline in average gross revenue per sale set in and the trend continues. So, although my sales increased in number for July-Dec 2016 over the first half of the year, revenue was less and my average gross per sale dropped to $35.

2016 was the first year that overall income from sales was down, but adding in the amounts collected from several misuses Alamy followed up, brought it back up to 2015 levels (those don't show on the graph). 

This year, from Jan-Jun 16, 2017, my number of sales has continued to increase. It is up 140% from the same period in 2016, a promising trend, but revenue is just 35% of what it was for this period last year, and my average gross per sale is just $27, so sales numbers need to increase 300% for me to stay even with last year. 

300% seems daunting but I'm not completely discouraged by this, because the upward trend in number of sales has steadily increased for the past 18 months to the point that half-way through the year, I am now 1 sale shy of the total number of sales I made in 2016, without feeding the beast. With just 956 images online, and many thousands waiting to be uploaded, it is conceivable that I can grow my portfolio significantly before I hit another plateau. I haven't added anything new this year (still fighting vertigo so my computer time is limited particularly in front of the big 28" screen I need for reviewing/processing images, which is more problematic than working on my 13" laptop). Hoping that once the vertigo goes into remission again I'll be able to add many new images and get sales in numbers up enough that my revenue graph goes up too.

The lower average per sale, while troubling, is not unusual with a string of presentation and PU sales in the mix, and since I'm still seeing some in the $100-250 range, all is not lost. 

Also encouraging:

Views are up and zooms are way up

When I repeat two-word searches that I've seen in measures, a lot of my images end up on page one of "Creative."

Waiting for some of the many zooms where mine were the only images, to show up as sales later this year (fingers cross for us Betty). 

You have to feed the beast and I'm hopeful that being able to do so will make both of my graphs show that nice upward trend, not just the one showing sales numbers. On the lookout for new outlets too, but I need to get better first. I'm just glad my images are working for me while I recuperate. 

8 hours ago, GS-Images said:

P.S. Betty - Congratulations of 1000 greenies! I just gave you one to tip you over as I saw you were at 999.  :)

Geoff.

Thank you, Geoff!! I'm now in a special club! Dumb me, I wondered what that 999 stood for, just puzzled over it recently. Back atcha. ;)

Archived