Do you still use a flash?

I have to admit that I've never been a fan of flash. I've always found it to be a real atmosphere-killer among other things.

That said, back in film days, I used a flash quite often. However, now I find that I seldom need one. Poor lighting can often be adjusted adequately in post-processing. High ISO shooting has improved as well.

I might use the small popup one on my camera for a little fill-flash once in awhile, but that's about it.

How about you?

In some situations flash is indispensable for getting a great photo, where ambient light only gives OK results.  I find macro work does best with a flash through a softbox.

If all you use are the pop-up flash or on-camera flash pointed right at the subject, well, yes, that's one look that could work sometimes, for example if you're after a garish look.

But where speedlights really come into their own is when either off-camera or pointing at a wall/using light modifiers, or both.  With TTL and optical trigger, it's easy to get great results without a lot of expense.  Worth some experimenting.

Flash NO, Fill YES.  Keep in mind that I travel with up to 6,000watts of strobe

and currently have over four small flashes, Most of my most licensed images

on Alamy were shot with a number of small strobes.  I also go out of my way

to make the "Flash" or as I say "Fill" a small part of the image.

Seldom use it. Used to use it quite often with Nikon. But when I use it, I bounce it.

I can shoot portraits quite nicely indoors with my Fuji 56mm 1.2 lens. Use some window light and I get catchlights. Just a different kind.

Betty

I use studio strobes often for my editorial and commercial work but rarely use my Nikon Flash unless I really have to.  

Much prefer a natural look even if I have to kick up the ISO and use a very wide aperture.  That is sort of "the look" these days anyway.  

Not much, but I've used it a bit recently for inside/outside photos where the difference between light and dark is simply too great

london-england-uk-big-ben-and-the-houses

I used to do the same when shooting film. Now I tend to just open up the shadow areas in post-processing.

You got some pleasing results there. Perhaps I should get back to using flash more often in situations like this...

I think that's a flash unit sitting over there next to my unused tripod collection. The strobes and power pack and umbrellas are all gone. I have a little folding umbrella in case I must go out in the rain. 

I used to use flash when I needed to do so on an assignment, but these days, shooting just general access stock, I only touch the shutter release if I like the light. I never enjoyed the concept of having a lighting template to carry around and apply to everything. 

Yes, John: higher ISOs, IS and improved PP can be a substitute for flash. 

That is supposed to be deleted. Some of my deletions seem to be only half gone. This is another odd problem with the new IM ???

Sorry, Ed. That means I probably have some like that, too. I looked because I wanted to see what the unknown food on the plate was. Something Mexican maybe?

It reminded me of a brunch in St. Croix, where small conical fried tortillas were stuffed with....I forgot...but it was good. :) I think scrambled eggs seasoned with Salsa and whatever. Yum.

Betty

I can tell you what the food was, because I cooked it at home--not Mexican, not any ethnic cuisine.

There's the fried egg that I broke in the pan, chicken sausages made with a touch of maple syrup, and in the center are fingerling potatoes, first boiled, than cut into strips and fried lightly in butter, with shallots and dried chili peppers. Oh, and some green peas and olives too.

I must have drunk a bit too much wine or beer (or both), because I can't imagine why I would have uploaded that broken egg.  :wacko:

Sorry, John -- I will stop redirecting your post. 

I think that's a flash unit sitting over there next to my unused tripod collection. The strobes and power pack and umbrellas are all gone. I have a little folding umbrella in case I must go out in the rain. 

I used to use flash when I needed to do so on an assignment, but these days, shooting just general access stock, I only touch the shutter release if I like the light. I never enjoyed the concept of having a lighting template to carry around and apply to everything. 

Yes, John: higher ISOs, IS and improved PP can be a substitute for flash. 

I have a biggish Minolta flash with bounce capability and a diffuser -- that used to get quite a bit of use --  gathering dust in the cupboard. Was thinking of either selling it or buying an adapter (Sony makes one) that would allow me to use it on/with my NEX-6. Still undecided...

In Vancouver, we live under umbrellas for much of the year, so I definitely won't be selling those. :rolleyes:

I use bounced flash indoors and fill in outside for personal use people shots. Don't normally use flash for generic stock shooting, but very occasionally use the on camera pop up to lighten shadows. Not sure that I agree that there is always sufficient latitude in raw files to dispense with flash altogether, but often the area to be lit is too large for flash to be effective.

Underwater photography = yes x 2 flashes all the time. A Canon 580EX in a Subal housing giving ETTL + an Inon 240 on manual.

Same here, except I use twin Inon s2000, great little strobes for travelling with.  Pretty much the only time i use flash is underwater

Very little. As can be seen from my images. :wacko:

Sometimes a fill with pop-up flash with plants/flowers in dull weather.

Use flash in studio for copying film negs/slides only.

Other studio work use constant light source. (Daylight from window as much as possible with artificial light at times.)

Allan

Yes - if the circumstances dictate it. That may be just a fill, sometimes it may be lighting an entire room, but there are times it's the only thing to create an atmosphere.
Did this for the Museums Journal a few years back, it wouldn't be anything without the off-camera flash...

corinne-miller-head-of-wolverhampton-art

I do a lot of interiors too, again, I could use constant source, but flash it just quicker and easier to balance these rooms.

home-interior-view-from-lounge-to-dining

Archived