February Challenge - "I don't know why I like it but I do"

Russell Watkins

The curious thing about this challenge is that I am picking images that clearly nobody else likes, very few looks in Flickr and no interest on Alamy, failure guaranteed  :rolleyes:

My second effort, a wood store

the-firewood-store-within-the-canterbury

I think I have stayed at that hotel (Hotel Kiev?) in Bratislava. If it is the one I think it is I thought it was due to be demolished the winter after we stayed there in September 2008. At the time we were there it had a Nokia ad on the side. It had become very run down since visiting Politburo members used to stay there - our group had a very notable meal there for all the wrong reasons! No photograp's of the hotel though - would love to go back to Bratislava in good weather. I remember the bronze sculpture all around the town (a couple of pics I like but I know why ;) so I can't enter them) and the politeness of the people.

EGG8AE - MISSING

hicksville-new-york-usa-22nd-february-20

P.S. My "The Cat Who Became a Christmas Tree" won't count as an entry, since I can't post actual image here, since it's extension isn't allowed (?), based on error message I got from Alamy when trying to post it. But it's seriously an image that "I don't know why I like it but I do." And I just realized it has a bit in common with above image.

- Ann

P.S.  My "The Cat Who Became a Christmas Tree" won't count as an entry, since I can't post actual image here due to my site's settings, but it's seriously an image that "I don't know why I like it but I do." And I just realized it has a bit in common with above image.

- Ann

Yes you can... ;) !

EDIT: Sent you a PM

DW72RP  Fire

march-1-2014-huntington-new-york-us-a-la

P.S.  My "The Cat Who Became a Christmas Tree" won't count as an entry, since I can't post actual image here due to my site's settings, but it's seriously an image that "I don't know why I like it but I do." And I just realized it has a bit in common with above image.

- Ann

And of course it would win because a cat always trumps everything.

Oh wait this is not the challenge ;-)

y20121204-4745J10bfull-annParry.jpg

-wake me up when it's over please.

wim

My entries this month with lots of visual noise:

modern-scandinavian-architecture-in-the-

Lots of construction going on in Oslo while the two below are from Old Aqaba in danger of demolition.

door-in-a-wall-with-numerous-patterns-an

patterns-of-wrought-iron-gates-stored-on

Greetings from Grethe

Is it me?

A lot of these images don't seem to fit the category described, but rather fitting the description "Images I DO know why I like".

There are many pictures here which (to me) can be seen as being 'likeable' without any ambiguity.

close-up-of-barn-door-with-worn-wood-and

Hi Jill

Your old barn door is fantastic and I would think very salable especially in the UK, you should put "Union jack flag" high up in the keywords

Steve Kelly uk

My thoughts exactly :)

edit: seems there's been a few posts about this already. Sorry, posted this before I got through the thread.

Here are my three, just because I want to enter the competition without any thought of any of the three being selected for the final eight.

slow-pedestrians-and-children-sign-milto

At least they are slower generally.

roof-at-butlins-bognor-regis-west-sussex

Roof at Butlins Bognor Regis.

wight-sun-vehicle-and-passenger-ferry-ta

Wight-link ferry under stormy skies.

That is it see you around.

Allan

Is it me?

A lot of these images don't seem to fit the category described, but rather fitting the description "Images I DO know why I like".

There are many pictures here which (to me) can be seen as being 'likeable' without any ambiguity.

You may have a point - but I'm sure Russell will sort things out according to his "nebulous" criteria.

I thought the idea was that we had to like it, whereas the general popular appeal was questionable.

How would you interpret the theme (in three pictures, not words)?

Is it me?

You may have a point - but I'm sure Russell will sort things out according to his "nebulous" criteria.

I thought the idea was that we had to like it, whereas the general popular appeal was questionable.

How would you interpret the theme (in three pictures, not words)?

You've put me on the spot Reimar, I usually like the pictures I take, and I know why I like them, unless I'm unhappy with the technical side of them not being quite right, so I'll sit this one out thanks. 

Most of the ones I've seen this challenge I actually like.

italian-graffiti-in-the-city-center-of-u

I kinda really like how colourful that graffiti is even though it's actually quite ugly.

a-common-blue-polyommatus-icarus-butterf

The composition is really boring, but I like how the wings line up with the flower petals.

field-scabious-knautia-arvensis-with-app

I was trying to take a picture of the flower when the bee arrived just as I pressed the shutter. The bee isn't even in focus, the composition is all wrong with the bee, but I really like this for some reason. Seems I not the only one as that one actually sold for a textbook.

Archived