February Challenge - "I don't know why I like it but I do"

Russell Watkins

So. It has fallen on me to sort out the February challenge. There were some fabulous entries last month & I know it's a cliché but I was genuinely surprised my image did so well. Thank you to Bryan for stepping into the breach and doing the business.

Anyhow, I'm going for a rather nebulous subject for this month's challenge but I'm sure we all have images that fall into this category -

"I don't know why I like it but I do".

This may be a disaster or it may work out OK. That's up to you lot!

Rules:

• 3 images max per entrant
  • 8 will be shortlisted by me at the end of the month
  • Entries close at 23:59:59 GMT on February 28th
  • Images needn't be on Alamy and whether they are or not won't influence my shortlist
  • Vote with Greenies all you like - it won't influence my shortlist

Off you go then my lovelies...

So I guess we're still going for somewhat quirky or abstract rather than pretty.

This is one no one likes but me it seems.  It looks like a painting of a lake at sunset with trees, but is just the side of a rusted van with shadows:

133529809.jpg

Here's another one that has never sold - I guess the meaning is kind of vague (or nebulous).  I thought it was pretty interesting (that's glycerine not water BTW):

40727716.jpg

This last one I had a hard time directing that bird properly into the frame.  But I still like it.

113479728.jpg

Malta introducing electronic displays at bus stops... installation leaves something to be desired.

Malta2014-1003230-439x660.jpg

Watching the watchers

a-giant-grouper-watches-a-tourist-taking

Shoebill in Ueno zoo... bird in a cage stuff... really no idea why but I do like it.

a-shoebill-in-a-cage-in-ueno-zoo-tokyo-j

I love this pic of one of our barn doors, although I am sure it will never sell.

close-up-of-barn-door-with-worn-wood-and

This is one of my camera on the tripod, but to me it looks like the shadow of an alien taking a picture.

shadow-of-camera-on-a-tripod-on-grass-E6

And this one is of an Acacia tree and the Entrance to the Seregenti where we spread some of my sister's ashes. To me it looks like and old man sitting down with his hands on his legs.

acacia-tree-at-the-entrance-to-serengeti

Jill

Nice subject, took a bit of head scratching to work out what I would submit. Finally I went for

smiley-faces-on-dusty-walking-boots-byf3

Our boots after a very dusty pull out of Colca Canyon in Peru

a-modern-light-throws-beams-of-light-ont

One of the ceiling lights at my father-in-law's flat (or Hotel Papa as my wife calls it)

a-vinyl-record-in-yellow-light-e7pehk.jp

Original and best. Don't talk to me about Spotify or mp3 (another quid in the swear box). Vinyl all the way, nothing to touch it. 

Cheers

Col

Hi Jill

Your old barn door is fantastic and I would think very salable especially in the UK, you should put "Union jack flag" high up in the keywords

Steve Kelly uk

I like it too, Jill. How about colorful, colourful, color, colour. My USA spellcheck just took out the "u"s. So annoying to have to put them back in. My cat is also participating in this post. I may have to run for my life.

Paulette

Hi Jill

Your old barn door is fantastic and I would think very salable especially in the UK, you should put "Union jack flag" high up in the keywords

Steve Kelly uk

I was going to say exactly the same thing!

British flag, Great Britain etc. should go with it - this would have been a must-buy during the independence vote last year.  "Will barn doors have to be redesigned if Scotland gains independence?" Thank goodness that didn't happen or everyone would have had to get the nails out!

Mike

Well glad you guys like the barn door. I never saw the flag reference until you mentioned it, but yeah, its there isn't it? So I have added all the offered keywords plus a few more I thought of.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jill

Hi Jill

Steve Kelly uk

I was going to say exactly the same thing!

British flag, Great Britain etc. should go with it - this would have been a must-buy during the independence vote last year.  "Will barn doors have to be redesigned if Scotland gains independence?" Thank goodness that didn't happen or everyone would have had to get the nails out!

If I'd been an editor after a Yes vote I'd have gone for "Will Britain shut the stable doors now the Scottish horse has bolted?"

Alan

Archived