DACS and Alamy

Did Alamy actually refuse to tell you the details?

Yes.  I contacted MS several times and they refuse to help me.

I understand they are busy. 

And why should they just help me?  I'm hoping that next year ALL photographers that sell some DACS eligible RF images will be able to count them towards DACS.

Isn't it a key characteristic of RF licenses that their use is not recorded at all? And thus that RF licenses only qualify for DACS if one is able to spot the image in a UK book or magazine.  Or am I missing something?

My DACS payment showed up in my bank account today. I filed the claim myself, though. Can't compare the amount with previous years because this was my first time (don't know what planet I was on). It wasn't exactly a fortune ($240), but it will help pay a couple of bills. Thanks, Santa.

Isn't it a key characteristic of RF licenses that their use is not recorded at all? And thus that RF licenses only qualify for DACS if one is able to spot the image in a UK book or magazine.  Or am I missing something?

Alamy knows more than you think.  The difference between RF and RM also seems to be blurring somewhat.

I think licensing an image to a newspaper versus a magazine or book publisher should do it.  Clearly, Alamy knows which is which because they have a DACS tally that far exceeds what I can tell from the spreadsheet.

Mine showed up today in the US.  My $US total is up about 2% from last year, but I don't have info yet on the amount in pounds. But figuring back from the current and year-old exchange rates, it looks like I'm actually up 6-7%. Don't know why. My amounts are small (amounts of pounds in the 70's - then there'll be a $15 fee for the foreign wire transfer).

Got my cheque and report in the post to-day. It used to be nicely into the four figures but has been steadily declining over the past three years in spite of the fact that DACs is charging 1% less every year. Can only be down to far more copyright holders making their own claims which is only fair. This is the first year Alamy has decided to make claims on contributors behalf so they will be making up their minds as they go along. I certainly don't think they should bury the claim results in normal revenue or disguised as come other kind of general sales. I was asked directly if Alamy could claim on the sales they made for me so I should have some way of knowing how this new approach has worked out.

Robert

I certainly don't think they should bury the claim results in normal revenue or disguised as come other kind of general sales.

I assume that it is easier (more cost effective) to make the payment through the existing accounting system, rather than set up a new accounting system. Which makes sense to me. Especially as this is the first time that Alamy have done this and the could have been only a low take up.

I also assume that the payment will be identified as a DACs payment.

Alamy, if you want to save yourself some work and temporary staff, just add a single column to the sales spreadsheet indicating whether the (RF) license is for magazines/books (hence DACS eligible). You have this information already in order to get my tally of DACS eligible sales.

Otherwise next year I too will need to have you do the paperwork because way more than half of my eligible sales are RF.

Thanks.

Probably why I couldn't count the same number of DACS eligible images that Alamy did. When newspaper images didn't count I could only find one or two eligible - Alamy found several more. That's why I accepted Alamy's offer to claim though I already had registered with DACS and saw that the work wasn't immense.... (Thanks to help in the forum).

- and nothing has happened to my account yet in this respect.....

Niels

Got my letter a couple of days ago.  Amount was around £37.  Not a great deal, but then again I don't sell much so can't complain.

Not sure if it's been paid yet as I've not had a Statement yet (and I can't remember my business online login details!)

Got my letter a couple of days ago.  Amount was around £37.  Not a great deal, but then again I don't sell much so can't complain.

Not sure if it's been paid yet as I've not had a Statement yet (and I can't remember my business online login details!)

I had the letter this week but the money went in on the 4th.

I had the letter this week but the money went in on the 4th.

Good to know the money is most likely in my account. 

Do Alamy take 50%? If they do, they'd have to find significantly more to warrant losing 50% of the claim you do know about. If it's unlikely to make up the 50% then to me it isn't worth bothering with. It could end up being as beneficial as be driving 50 miles to find a garage that sold petrol 1p cheaper. If they don't then I could see why it would be worth going via Alamy.

As it happens, I keep a spread sheet of images spotted throughout the year with publication and image details as well as the page it was one etc. Makes it easier when DACs claim time comes around!

My DACS payment appeared in my Alamy Account Balance this morning, dated 19 Dec. Described as 'Other Income' and detailed as 'DACS Payment 2014'. A nice little extra at Christmas and I personally don't have a problem with Alamy having their cut. That said, I don't rely on photography to make a living.

I too wonder about their math. They said they were claiming on my behalf for around 300 uses. Never claimed DACS before. $267 USD in my account. So I get less than a $1 per use?? Kinda thought it would be a bit higher. Why would clients even bother paying in the first place? Just pay the DACS and screw us all.

Phillipe

One explanation could be % of sales to UK Books and Magazines I suppose. Are your sales mainly in that market or not?

Also.... did alamy submit for all your sales from year 1 with alamy or just 2013 because Dacs pay out for all your sales from all years. That may be a question to ask of Alamy.

Mine are from accumulative sales from 2008. Also others you have quoted may have got accumulative sales from many many years back. Don't forget that they may have claims for photos licenced via other agencies. How long have you been making sales with alamy?

Kevin

Archived